MV007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Nicole was one of the worlds very worst reality tv stars of ever

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

If Simon Cowell has control of X-Factor, there will NOT be a country judge. The man does not like or get the genre at all! Now, if others have any say after the less than spectacular 1st season, that is a different story.

Simon may not like or "get" Country, but he does "get" making money. I suspect he may change his tune about Country music to attract the Nashville set to XFactor and become more competitive with IDOL and The Voice.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

The whole mentoring concept was a detriment to X Factor. It produced petty rivalries that I didn't care about. When the judges have a horse in the race, it changes their critiques ..

I don't really agree with this. On AI, there are favorites who are pushed for whatever reason. I also think the mentor concept works just fine on The Voice. I don't see the AI model as producing more honest judging. Not by a long shot.

I don't know if Chris Rene or Marcus Canty would have gotten a golden ticket to Hollywood.

I don't know if they would or would not, but I do believe a lot of really mediocre singers do get golden tickets.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 1:10 AM

I don't really agree with this. On AI, there are favorites who are pushed for whatever reason. I also think the mentor concept works just fine on The Voice. I don't see the AI model as producing more honest judging. Not by a long shot.

How often do the judges ever vote against their own contestants? Since the answer is almost never, then there's a huge judging bias and makes two of the judges useless. That's a huge problem that you're overlooking! Two judges voting between contestants is hardly enough. -.-

That's not even scratching on the critique bias that the others have been mentioning. None of this would ever happen on AI. There are "favorites" but no judges ever defend contestants as staunchly and "America" makes the ultimate decision of who to boot so their opinions do not even really matter like on the X-Factor.

X-Factor needs to consider some serious overhaul. Season 2 is often not as popular as Season 1 and X-Factor could get fairly close to cancellation territory.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 4:47 AM

Is Mariah managed by Randy Jackson? I read that on Deadline, and if that's true, I just can't imagine she does the show.

Yeah, but on the other hand, her husband is already an employee of Simon's (and seemingly a trusted and reliable one--really its unlikely Nick will ever get fired by Simon and piss off Mariah, so the risk of pissing off that family would only be if MARIAH eventually gets fired and pisses off Nick).

Her husband's a host.

MORE likely to make her work for Simon, not less, I think.

She's a legend, one of the greatest voices of the century.

You mean like... Christina Aguilera?

And from a practical standpoint, there's no way she'll be able to give constructive criticism. She'll just give praise and show more of her kind of odd personality that seeps through her interviews and diminishes her stature.

Agreed (with both of these).

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Melanie's new single is out:

http://idolator.com/.../comment-page-1

Not what I was expecting AT ALL.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I read that it's just being used in her pepsi commercial, Not really her first single. I kinda like it.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Oh is it? That's good. I really didn't think her first single should be a cover. Wonder why it's dance electro-pop, though. Didn't think that was her thing.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

How often do the judges ever vote against their own contestants? Since the answer is almost never, then there's a huge judging bias and makes two of the judges useless. That's a huge problem that you're overlooking! Two judges voting between contestants is hardly enough.

I'm not overlooking anything, I just don't agree with you that it's a problem of any magnitude whatsoever. Frankly, I don't think "America" makes such great decisions all the time. If the judges aren't voting based upon talent, then that's as much a problem with these particular judges as anything else. If they get rid of the mentor/judge concept on this show, it's just another version of AI. I'm not seeing a huge need for another version of AI. I don't watch AI now. More of that would just be one more worthless reality TV talent competition, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by BDArizona, Feb 3, 2012 @ 1:29 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Melanie's new single is out:

http://idolator.com/.../comment-page-1

Not what I was expecting AT ALL.

On one hand it has that stupid Euro Dance Pop stank that seems to pop out of Simon's acts.

On the other hand, Dance music is certainly the right target to hit for a Superbowl Pepsi commercial. And its well done (especially by Melanie), despite the fact that I don't think I'd want to listen to it more than once or twice in my lifetime, then move on.

javajeanelaine

javajeanelaine

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I'm surprised that people are saying that Simon won't support country - he was one of Carrie Underwood's biggest fans during her Idol season.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Hmm. Just saw the big Pepsi SuperBowl ad. Melanie was OK, I guess- she was only in it for 30 seconds or so. She looked pretty bulky in that medieval leather apron thing they put her in.
Compare and contrast with The Voice's really great promo featuring the 4 judges fighting 'Kill Bill' style.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

I thought it was one of the better commercials ( granted that isn't saying much this year) Flava flav at the end was bizzare and unnecessary.

I didn't like that Voice promo, again Betty white at the end was just unnecessary.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I wonder what percentage of the audience recognized Melanie.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Or recognized her and didn't care (me).

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

I Loved the commercial. It was one of the few that stood out.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Pretty sad that the most exposure Melanie's received so far has been a Pepsi commercial. X Factor may have not been a failure in ratings terms, but they failed in generating any kind of buzz and excitement for their contestants.

She looked and sounded good during the commercial I thought.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Hmm. Just saw the big Pepsi SuperBowl ad. Melanie was OK, I guess- she was only in it for 30 seconds or so. She looked pretty bulky in that medieval leather apron thing they put her in.
Compare and contrast with The Voice's really great promo featuring the 4 judges fighting 'Kill Bill' style.

Thus the difference between the two shows. The Voice is all about the judges. The judges get up on the stage and perform multiple times. Not just taking away from the contestants in their judging but also in their performances while X factor is all about the absurd spectacle.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Thus the difference between the two shows. The Voice is all about the judges. The judges get up on the stage and perform multiple times. Not just taking away from the contestants in their judging but also in their performances while X factor is all about the absurd spectacle.

Yes. This also another reason why the "mentoring" works for the Voice and not X factor. Simon and the X factor are all about finding stars. Their model is AI in that if you find stars then the show will continue to grow and succeed. In my opinion, the Voice, is all about producing a TV show. I'm not saying AI and X factor don't also want this. I think they just do a better job of balancing the two. The voice is all about its judges. They banter, they sing, they entertain us with their jokes. The contestants are clearly second fiddle on the Voice. I think X factor would prefer that the contestants somehow become successful afterwards. The Voice seems unconcerned with Javier Colon's terrible sales numbers or the irrelavance of every other contestant post show.

The voice mentoring works because it includes the judges in more of the show. It fails on X factor because nobody wants to watch the judges and takes away from the contestants. I'm not going to care if Blake or Adam make a poor decision on who to eliminate so long as they continue to be entertaining in their own right. But when Nicole screws over Drew, then I'm going to ask myself why I watch the show.

Edited by MV007, Feb 9, 2012 @ 2:13 PM.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

Astro was quite good in his role on 'Person of Interest' last night. I think he was kind of playing himself, but he was professional and convincing. I don't know that he has a huge future as an actor or anything, but he certainly didn't look like stunt casting.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

So is it reliable sources or Perez Hilton type make shit up sources that put Stacey Francis and Whitney Houston in a screaming match at the club the same week she died.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

The guy, Steve Jones, music industry exec who filmed the video of Whitney singing with her friend at the Hollywood nightclub did confirm that X factor Stacey Francis was there. He said Stacey Francis introduced herself to the star and Whitney was offering advice on music career path but he was not aware if they had any type of altercation.

Here is more on this topic:

Stacey Francis' apology

http://www.hollywood...hitney-houston/

Edited by King Cat Sam, Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:36 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

Simon and the X factor are all about finding stars. Their model is AI in that if you find stars then the show will continue to grow and succeed. In my opinion, the Voice, is all about producing a TV show.

I strongly disagree. I don't think X Factor is about finding stars at all. If they are, they're doing a crap job of it. As far as all of these shows are concerned, it's about the show first. If it wasn't, the ratings issue wouldn't be an issue. Simon wouldn't be firing judges left and right to "retool" the show. All three of them are simply TV shows based on talent competitions. Ratings and advertisers are the ultimate concern. Any success afterwards is just gravy. If that wasn't the case, they'd just be holding some auditions somewhere to find singers or going to local clubs to find an undiscovered star. Instead, they're putting them on TV, pushing back stories, chasing ratings, talking shit about the competing shows, etc.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

I strongly disagree. I don't think X Factor is about finding stars at all. If they are, they're doing a crap job of it. As far as all of these shows are concerned, it's about the show first. If it wasn't, the ratings issue wouldn't be an issue. Simon wouldn't be firing judges left and right to "retool" the show. All three of them are simply TV shows based on talent competitions. Ratings and advertisers are the ultimate concern. Any success afterwards is just gravy. If that wasn't the case, they'd just be holding some auditions somewhere to find singers or going to local clubs to find an undiscovered star. Instead, they're putting them on TV, pushing back stories, chasing ratings, talking shit about the competing shows, etc.

This is all true in terms of these trying to be successful TV shows first. I guess I was thinking about these contestants post show. We've seen former AI contestants get a ton of support from their label/management after the show. Thus far the Voice has failed epically in this regard. I think X factor, given its $5 million, will try to get support for their contestants like Idol.

Edited by MV007, Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:40 PM.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

I think Simon ABSOLUTELY cares about that. That's his background and that's what he's good at. That's why you have industry execs like Simon and LA on the panel. In the UK, basically every X Factor winner (and a good amount of finalists) ends up topping the charts. It's produced some huge stars for them. I can't imagine he doesn't want the same thing for the US version. I'm pretty sure that's why he thought it would eclipse Idol, because of its star-producing power across the pond. (He was wrong.)

anne uk

anne uk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 4:41 AM

In the UK, basically every X Factor winner (and a good amount of finalists) ends up topping the charts.

But only for the 'Christmas number one' - after that they mostly fade into the obscurity for which they were always destined.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I don't know as much about the UK charts as US so there might be more examples, but giving the UK top 40 a quick glance, currently both Olly Murs and Rebecca Ferguson are on the UK Top 40 and it's February. Cher Lloyd has also had three (I think) top 40 hits. Not to mention the bigger stars from previous years like Leona who even crossed over a little in the US. And here's what Wiki says:

"As of December 2011, the show has spawned eight number-one winners' singles (five of which have been the Christmas number one), four number-one charity singles, and a total of 15 number-one singles by contestants who have appeared on the show (including winners and runners-up)." That's not bad, and that's only looking at #1's, not top 40's or album sales, which I don't know about.

Obviously not EVERY contestant/winner will be a huge star but I do think X Factor has the most consistent track record of producing semi-successful singers for its country, with Idol in US being second. But I'd love to learn more about this so if anyone has stats to confirm/refute, please share!

And either way, I would have to think Simon would have hoped for a similar US reception to the show's singers. (Even if it's just one Christmas #1, I bet Melanie Amaro would take it!) I'd be very surprised to hear that he only cares about producing a good TV show and not a national music star.

Edited by Spy Idol, Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:33 AM.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

So possible Judge replacements for Nicole and Paula are Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Pink and Mariah Carey.

I would be happy with either two of the four, But I think Britney Spears and Pink would be fun.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I'd love to see Janet and Mariah together. But Pink? She's got an active career, with hits and Grammy noms still coming, plus a newish baby; why would she want or need this goat rodeo?

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:46 AM

LA Reid basically started Pink's career!!