4907 replies to this topic

Nidratime

Nidratime

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:35 AM

Here ya go, Simon. I'm sure this is exactly what he wanted to create "buzz."

'X Factor' hit with FCC complaint over nude contestant
http://insidetv.ew.c...-fcc-complaint/

The article (and the big "X" FOX put over they guy's nether regions) suggest that the guy was nude although reports are that he wasn't. So, here's your manufactured drama to gain viewers.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

I'm just not sure why they wanted Nicole, whom I thought came across very badly on DWTS. Spoiled, cold, fragile, and lacking in charisma. She did win, but I think that was more down to her partner.

She came across well when she was a guest judge on the UK version, when they were rotating them to cover for Dannii whilst she was on maternity leave. Well...better than the rest of them did anyway. Quite a lot of people expected her to be a replacement judge over here before we "found out" she was "hosting" the US version.

I think it's amusing (although obviously it's not universal opnion) that the general recent public feeling towards Cheryl and Nicole in the UK and US are pretty much mirror opposites. Over here Nicole was the breath of fresh air and Cheryl was the recirculated reality show air we'd breathed in too many times (although to be fair, Cheryl is far more successful over here than Nicole has been in the US).

Edited by NotPatrick, Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:22 AM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

X Factor could work as a straight-up talent show if they would show performers who actually have........ talent.

The producers have stupidly opted to go with a bunch of dumb gimmicks that have already been done to death. And why? With a 5 million dollar recording contract on the line do they expect us to believe that this was the best talent they could find?

Edited by getawayjordan, Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:37 AM.

funkmachine

funkmachine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 12:25 PM

I have watched the most recent 4 years of X-Factor in the Uk and I am watching the current season over there now and I do not recall the eps being this bad. Would others who have seen XF in other countries chime in with some explanations regarding why these eps were so bad?

Is it because the eps were WAY overproduced? That the judges lack something? That the talent simply was not that good? I hate the parades of the talentless so that does not amuse me on any shore, but maybe the host is missing something? The UK host is pretty good and handles his business.

Maybe I like how different the contestants are overseas? I cannot figure it out exept to say the ep I watched on Wed was atrocious. I am not sure I will attempt Thursday's.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

To my recollection, I've never actually ever complained about the editing of any reality show until I saw X-Factor US and I've seen my share of bad reality shows in my day. It only took me the first 15 minutes to figure out there was something wrong with the flow of X-Factor US, though.

Editing the show shouldn't be a difficult job! I honestly wouldn't ever expect to see a show edited this badly again in my lifetime. So, no, I never expected XF UK or XF AUS to have bad editing.

Well rarely has a show had as compelling a reason to have to cut things up to bits.

They apparently didn't mind showing Cheryl as a part time judge. But they didn't want to leave even a minute of Nicole as host in the show. So they did a LOT of snipping.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

The 42 year old Natural Woman singer seemed to me to be WAY over rated.

Thank you! When they asked her why she hadn't been able to get her career off the ground she said "I got stuck." Of course she did and it's because she's doing something that's been done a billion times before and most of those billion did it better than she.

Unless Simon fell and cracked his head and now has a goldfish memory that lasts only 20 seconds, there's no way that is one of the best singing auditions he's ever heard. He's all about ratings and dollar signs so "best audition" is Simonspeak for "this mindless audience will eat this pathetic sob story up with a spoon."

BillandGrace

BillandGrace

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 3:04 PM

Is it because the eps were WAY overproduced? That the judges lack something? That the talent simply was not that good? I hate the parades of the talentless so that does not amuse me on any shore, but maybe the host is missing something?

Yup, all of the above, funkmachine.

I don’t consider the judges the “hosts,” I consider them the judges. Whatshisname is the host – the turd Brit who always says Los Angeleeze. He is a non-starter on this show. Bring in an American as the host who at least knows how to pronounce the name of American cities. The judges, of course, are dominated by Cowell who long ago jumped the shark. Comically, he still sees himself as highly relevant given that he is starring in the commercials as well as being the “last word” on the contestants. I agree with a poster up thread that Cowell erred by overestimating how popular he and Paula would be on this show.

The singers can’t sing, the host doesn’t host, the judges don’t judge, and this dog of a show don’t hunt.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

X - factor. Should eXit immediately.

BillandGrace

BillandGrace

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

There was no way that pant dropping guy was naked. I agree, Security would have hauled his hairy naked ass pronto. I bet he had on some type of a very tight, bright, shiny, sequinned leopard skin thong that was scensored for the home viewing audience.

You are so right, King Cat Sam: "X Factor" Dong Dancer I Wasn't Naked!

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 5:38 PM

I want to like this show, I really do. The only thing that will keep me watching is that I am recapping it for a TV website.

mistrella

mistrella

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

I liked the Bobby Brown/Usher guy.

i I think this guy, Marcus Canty, was by far the best of the night. I have rewatched his performance over and over and I enjoy it again and again. No one came close to him.

morenuke

morenuke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

What was the song playing in the bg of the Bobby Brown/Usher guy when he got the 4 yeses? it was something about "i can feel it" etc...

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 1:25 AM

So — Simon plays with Barbie dolls. I learn something new every day.

It was out of morbid curiosity that I watched the first two nights of the American X Factor, the supposed unstoppable imported force that would dominate the national consciousness and suck up the oxygen of the TV world, sort of like an invasion of mutated algae. And this was its idea of "entertainment":

* Putting children on national television who obviously were not ready to be singing performers, and the reducing them to tears.
* Filling up nearly all of two hours (in the second episode) of people who sang off-key, screamed, bitched, and made other assorted noises that would qualify as "enhanced interrogation techniques."
* Telling bad jokes about "ghosts" (seriously???).
* Praising to high heaven people who wouldn't make it past the initial auditions of America's Got Talent (I'm sure that Nick Voss is a wonderful guy, but that singing was not anywhere near worth the tongue bath).

The second episode was one of the worst episodes of these singing shows that I have ever seen, if not the worst. Has anyone replayed a performance from that show on YouTube? Anyone?

The bad auditionees who packed those two hours that I'll never get back may have been deluded, or plants by the producers, or people who, for some reason that I'll never understand, just wanted to get on television. There are differences in the morality of putting on the air people of each of those categories. But, in the end, I fail to see how this qualifies as "entertainment."

Isn't it supposed to be an embarrassing relic of bygone times to laugh at the lunatics at the asylum?

If there's a $5 million talent out there, I haven't seen it yet. Maybe the powers behind the show made the judgment call that they'll get more attention with the bad auditions, and they've hidden the real talent for later. If so, someone should tell them that it's no longer circa 2003, when American Idol made bad auditions a hallmark of the show (even going to far as to air a special episode one year called "The Best of the Worst").

Now, in 2011, American Idol and The Voice learned that talent shows should feature talent (!) and laughing at the misfortune of others is neither funny nor healthy.

I'll stick with the X Factor a bit longer to see whether it improves, but my tolerance for further badness is very low now.

The ratings for the second episode are in. This article says that the show held steady with 12.5 million viewers, but that is still less than what was originally expected or wanted.

See, I don't know what boot camp is either.

It corresponds pretty closely with "Hollywood Week" in American Idol.

Edited by Vienna Woods, Sep 24, 2011 @ 1:55 AM.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 2:56 AM

The bad auditionees who packed those two hours that I'll never get back may have been deluded, or plants by the producers, or people who, for some reason that I'll never understand, just wanted to get on television.

I hated the fact the awful people seemed to get FULL auditions whereas in AI, they would've been cut after 10 seconds. But Simon let them go on...and on...and on. I was like "Uh, okay we get the joke."

We shouldn't have even got to "Act Two" of Geo Flasher Dude's song.

I am Nomad

I am Nomad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 6:30 AM

First episode was so so, second was meh.

I think Nicole has better chemistry with other judges than Cheryl but her expressions don't seem genuine. Maybe it's the dead eye, I don't know.

I like L.A. Reid but the wrist slitting comment was a bit much.

To be honest I prefer The Voice so much more.

joylove

joylove

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

OK, I just watched both shows, and while they were a disappointment, I will keep watching (or reading boards while it's on). Why?

1. L.A. Reid. I've know of him since the '80s when he teamed with Babyface to form Laface records. He's supertalented at finding successful artists, and if it's possible, I think the show undersold him when showing his resume. (I believe he also gave TLC and Outkast their start, along with many others.) He's the reason I decided to watch this show in the first place.

2. Melanie (the lady who sang "Listen") and Marcus (the gentleman who sang "I Wish"). Loved them both, and I'm looking forward to seeing how far they can go.

I liked that they were ruthless with Alexander Alexander. Paula and L.A. building him up with stuff like "You're entertaining!" and "You're my hero!" and then a big fat 'no.' Wooow.

While it was refreshing not to see the judges cave in and take a begging, crying contestant, I found this dude highly entertaining. (I'm ashamed to admit that.) Plus, I thought he sounded as good as or better than several contestants they voted to keep.

Tonight? I lasted about 15 minutes until they got to the Elvis impersonator who sang "Trouble" then I had to turn the channel. Note to whomever that awful singer was: Search YouTube for Elliott Yamin's powerful version of that song...it'll make you run home and make you feel embarassed for even attempting that song!

Thank you! Plus, Elvis impersonator dude looks like Vanilla Ice. He's a great example of what disappointed me most about this show. I can't believe how excited they got about clearly mediocre talent.

As for Cheryl, she didn't add much, she didn't take much away much either.

Totally agree. Cheryl was a complete non-entity for me. Also, isn't Nicole a classically trained vocalist? I think she would be the best mentor, at least from a purely signing/vocal training standpoint.

Exactly. I didn't get how that (Stacy Francis) was ostensibly the best audition Simon's ever heard, when he has heard 1) Fantasia Barrino, 2) Jennifer Hudson, and 3) Carrie Underwood audition.

Yeah, I got kind of tired of hearing Simon and Paula saying so-and-so had the best audition they ever heard. I even thought it was ridiculous for Paula to say that about Melanie, who I thought was the best auditioner they showed during the first two episodes.

I think I want Simon and Paula to go back to AI and bring L.A. with them to replace Randy.

If X-Factor doesn't make it, I hope they do that.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

L.A. Reid is the master of the game. He also resurrected the musical career of Jennifer Lopez. There are singers out there who would give one of their kidneys for the privilege of being signed by him.

Back to the show — here is the schedule. The first thing that jumps out at me is the existence of only two weeks of audition episodes. As someone upthread said, the "bootcamp" episodes begin the week after next. The live shows begin on November 2.

That is a much shorter run for the audition episodes than American Idol, and the British version of X Factor as well.

Therefore, I'm really hoping that the show's plan was to frontload the crazy auditions, get them out of the way early, and show them because that's what this type of show does — and then unveil the actual talent at bootcamp and beyond. They have to got to put all of this mediocrity behind them fast, particularly with the crowded competitive reality show field around them and the questions about whether X Factor is just American Idol with red color tones, higher volume, and lower talent.

I'll give the show a chance for now, because I recognize that the initial audition episodes are always the rockiest, both because of the spotty talent and also because of the lack of familiarity with the people on the screen and the fact that it's only natural to compare the people to those I've seen in the past. My eyes see Chris Rene and Stacy Francis, but my brain sees NotAdam, NotJames, NotScotty, and (from the British show) NotJoe, NotMatt, NotAiden, etc.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

Therefore, I'm really hoping that the show's plan was to frontload the crazy auditions, get them out of the way early, and show them because that's what this type of show does — and then unveil the actual talent at bootcamp and beyond.

But bootcamp is week after next, and the ratings have only been so-so. Why would they wait that long to unveil the real talent? They could lose their TV audience by that time.

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

Just watched episode one...well, most of it. I ended up FF'ing through the last 15 minutes and I was one who was looking forward to it. Loud, overwrought, choppy and about everything else you can think of along those lines.

I just want to understand something. Simon claims he fired Cheryl Cole because she seemed "bewildered"??? And this is the man who sat next to Paula Abdul for, what, EIGHT OR NINE FREAKING SEASONS of AI??!!?? That was a stone lie and my money is on it being all about Paula being jealous. Ridiculous, as I actually liked Cheryl.

I've heard cats yowling in my backyard that sounded better than the woman who sang "Natural Woman". I actually didn't hear anyone I'd care to hear again.

Not sure if I'm on board for any more of this. Can totally see why the reviews sucked.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

But bootcamp is week after next, and the ratings have only been so-so. Why would they wait that long to unveil the real talent? They could lose their TV audience by that time.

Exactly — which is why I think they're stuck in the circa 2003 mode in which they think that crazy auditions give them a ratings oomph.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 1:38 AM

Since this isn't a full forum here's a handy link to the weecaps.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:52 AM

I think I want Simon and Paula to go back to AI and bring L.A. with them to replace Randy.

If X-Factor goes down the tubes I wouldn't mind having L.A. Reid move over to IDOL, but not necessarily to replace Randy. He could actually replace Steven Tyler who seems to think the word "beautiful" is a useful critique all by itself. As for Simon and Paula, somehow I get the feeling that if X-Factor tanks, their judging skills won't be in great demand so much anymore.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 12:46 PM

The plan is the plan. They're scheduled to run for x number of weeks. The can't suddenly cut short the auditions. What would they do to fill the time?

It's been pointed out that while ratings are below expectations, they're not, in an absolute sense bad.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

It's also possible that ratings are only below Cowell's expectations, and that the other execs were a bit more realistic. It's ahead of Glee's season debut, and I think it's about on par with, or slightly ahead of The Voice.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

The Voice did not air at a strategic time. It premiered April 26. NBC wasn't pushing it and it became a surprise success so I would categorize it as outperforming X-Factor (by quite a bit arguably).

I don't think that X-Factor is outperforming the Fox executives' expectations. They paid some exorbitant sum to secure the rights to this show. The fact that Fox already has American Idol will put X-Factor that much closer to cancellation.

Edited by Submarine, Sep 25, 2011 @ 2:42 PM.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:27 PM

They might be willing to hold onto X Factor, despite less than spectacular ratings and reviews, simply to keep Simon Cowell, who won't (IMO) go back to Idol even if X Factor tanks. However, the one wild card that I can see here is the effect that X Factor and its disruptive schedule has on the other Fox shows. When Idol disrupts other shows, Idol's ratings are strong enough to more than offset any other drop. But, if random hiatuses and unpredictable scheduling cause a ratings drop for returning episodes of Bones, Glee, or Fringe, and X Factor's own ratings aren't super, it could be possible that Fox decides the cost of X Factor isn't worth keeping it. Not a given by any means, but between X Factor and baseball, Fox's Fall TV schedule is getting hard to follow, and eventually something may have to give.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 6:36 PM

The first episode really should've given more time/detail on how the show progresses with the bootcamp period, judges' houses period, how each of the judges mentors one category, etc. All that information was fairly rushed through, and in a television atmosphere with so many singing competition shows, it really needed to make the differences between Idol more clear to the lowest common denominator viewer--especially since (1) it also airs on Fox; and (2) has Simon and Paula. The first episode of season one of Idol more clearly laid out how the show's stages work.

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 7:01 PM

The plan is the plan. They're scheduled to run for x number of weeks. The can't suddenly cut short the auditions. What would they do to fill the time?

The One was cancelled after one week so there is a precedent for such things happening.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

I don't think that X-Factor is outperforming the Fox executives' expectations. They paid some exorbitant sum to secure the rights to this show. The fact that Fox already has American Idol will put X-Factor that much closer to cancellation.

Not to mention the advertising campaign had to cost an arm and a leg, as well. As much time and money put into making sure people knew about The X-Factor, there's no way they expected America's Got Talent type numbers for the premiere episodes. Sucks to be Simon and Fox.

LetoileSole

LetoileSole

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

L.A. is a good judge but I wish he'd stop dropping names like he does.