X Factor (US)

• Please log in to reply

4907 replies to this topic

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

The question being answered was "how (will) they differentiate this from The Voice".

Ok, well the difference as I see it will be that the judges on The Voice will be pretty much equal in terms of stature, where the X-FACTOR judges will be overshadowed by Simon and his stupid snarks, which is something that always annoyed me on IDOL.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 1:20 PM

Ok, well the difference as I see it will be that the judges on The Voice will be pretty much equal in terms of stature, where the X-FACTOR judges will be overshadowed by Simon and his stupid snarks, which is something that always annoyed me on IDOL.

Oh, absolutely.

Again, I'm not sure where the disagreement is here exactly. We're both saying the difference between the shows is Simon. In both marketing and probably in reality too.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 4:46 PM

X Factor and The Voice are very different, judging by the UK show. It is a shame The Voice ripped X Factor off so much, but I can't be bothered since Simon has done such a terrible job with the US version.

Toad Persever

Toad Persever

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 9:49 PM

X Factor and The Voice are very different

It is a shame The Voice ripped X Factor off so much

Huh? This seems contradictory. If The Voice copied XF, how can they be very different?

Simon has done such a terrible job with the US version.

It doesn't even start for another month, how do you know this? Not that I'll be surprised if it is terrible, mind you.

Edited by Toad Persever, Aug 27, 2011 @ 9:50 PM.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2011 @ 9:10 AM

A pretty catty Simon interview here.

COWELL'S RATINGS GOAL: 20 MILLION VIEWERS A WEEK

Cowell says that any less than 20 million would be “a disappointment.” What else is the man with the Midas touch searching for with The X Factor? “Buzz. In England, you genuinely get the feeling the whole country is talking about the show. I hope for that.,” he says.

Good luck there, Si.

Simon has done such a terrible job with the US version.

It doesn't even start for another month, how do you know this? Not that I'll be surprised if it is terrible, mind you.

The lead-up certainly hasn't been promising, though it could turn out like those movies that had chaotic productions, but the final product was a huge hit.

Edited by Dejana, Aug 30, 2011 @ 9:12 AM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

The lead-up certainly hasn't been promising, though it could turn out like those movies that had chaotic productions, but the final product was a huge hit.

The show's first season will probably do ok ratings-wise, people will tune in out of curiosity to see Simon and Paula and, oh yeah, the other random judges. But the real proof will be in the pudding. With plenty of competitors out there, the real litmus test will be whether or not X-FACTOR (US) can produce a commercial pop star in it's first season.

Edited by getawayjordan, Aug 30, 2011 @ 9:47 AM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 2:50 AM

There will be an extended preview after football this this Sunday evening.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 1:27 PM

After stumbling onto the craziness of Jedward because of Celebrity Big Brother, my hope for this show is that they create just as awesome stage shows as they did. Go full out.

Both American Idol and The Voice (especially The Voice) lost me because they let through mediocre singers and praised them up the wall. Judges really kill shows for me and I usually fast-forward through their critiques now, so Simon is definitely not a factor for me watching here. Especially with Nicole Scherzinger as a judge, barf. She was horrible on that other singing show, with meaningless comments that would rival Paula--oh dear.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 8:38 PM

I know I'm going to hell, but that tween girl singing "Mercy" in the extended preview... sounded like she was singing "You got me bacon" instead of "you got me beggin'". And I laughed. Really hard.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

After stumbling onto the craziness of Jedward because of Celebrity Big Brother, my hope for this show is that they create just as awesome stage shows as they did. Go full out.

Idol has had its share who were on that path. But of course nobody full-on-queens it up like Jedward. Taking all the gay cliches (although they insist they aren't gay apparently) and going over the top, plus adding weird twin vibes.

EllieH

EllieH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

I attended one of the Dallas audition nights -- a friend got free passes from her job. And there were enough dull periods during the evening that we were all a little concerned about how well the show was going to come together. We're planning to watch the first episode (or episodes, to see the Dallas audition again) and I'll post a report on what I remember from the taping vs. what made it on TV.

And to jump back to the previous discussion -- they did have vocal groups, just not very many of them our night. I remember twin brothers, and a group that was three girls (two sisters and a cousin), and there are probably others slipping my mind. No instruments, just singing.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 1:45 AM

I know I'm going to hell, but that tween girl singing "Mercy" in the extended preview... sounded like she was singing "You got me bacon" instead of "you got me beggin'". And I laughed. Really hard.

I missed that but look forward to seeing it when the show starts.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

New Simon X Factor interviews:

TV Guide Magazine: The British version has generated controversy, with complaints about rigged voting and contestants' vocals being enhanced. Was Fox scared by that?
Cowell: I warned them that this was always a controversial show. Not that I care. It's not like we're drowning puppies. When people are talking about it, then you know you're doing a proper reality show. Things are going to go wrong and get you into trouble and I kind of like that.

TV Guide Magazine: What will make The X Factor a success in your eyes? Is it important to you to top American Idol?
Cowell: No. 1 is finding a star [and the show having] unpredictability, controversy and people talking about it in their daily lives. All of these [competition] shows have grown over the years and eventually, I don't know how long it will take, [I want to grow] enough to be the No. 1 show.

Cowell isn’t worried that NBC’s The Voice beat The X Factor to the punch in introducing the concept of judges-as-mentors to a U.S. audience. | “They didn’t do it as well as us, if I’m being honest with you,” said Cowell. “You’ll genuinely see the difference on our show. And look, it’s not just what you do during the show — anyone can mentor — the point is can you mentor someone through the show and actually create a star? So you’re gonna have to judge X Factor on what we do compared to what they did on The Voice.”

U.S. audiences are a bit more vocal — and dangerous — than those in Britain. | Cowell recalled there were instances filming in the U.S. where he had to call back certain rejected contestants because “otherwise I think I may have gotten seriously injured.” But while American spectators “certainly let you know when they disagree with you” and aren’t afraid to perform their duty as the show’s “fifth judge,” one thing Cowell noticed was that evening audiences were more lively than daytime ones. “A lot of them were drunk, so they were louder and I like that,” he said. “I might do that for the live shows: Just make everybody drink.”

If you’re not a fan of American Idol‘s frequent focus on contestant back stories, you may be hitting the fast-forward button during The X Factor, too. | “Obviously No. 1 on the list is talent, but No. 2 is you’ve really, really got to be an interesting person and have a really good back story,” Cowell said of what he looks for in auditioning contestants. “When I ask them what’s the most interesting thing that’s happened in your life, and they start droning on about singing at the age of three or four, I’m honestly not interested.That’s obvious. But If they got divorced, why are they divorced. If they’re married, are they happy being married. If they’ve left college, how did their parents feel about them doing that to pursue a music career.” What’s more, added Cowell, The X Factor will showcase “different types of contestants than what you’ve seen before, and very, very different back stories — the types of stories I don’t think other shows would put on. It’s edgy, it’s raw, it’s real life.”

On man’s best friend, Paula Abdul: “Within five minutes of when we start filming, she’s not aware that the cameras are on anymore and she’ll fight with you over something — sometimes important, sometimes not. Kind of like getting an old dog back from the rescue pound.”

On Cheryl Cole’s tiny cameo in Sunday’s extended preview: “She’s in episode 1. She’s in the first hour. So in terms of how we address it, we just tell it how it was. She was on the show and then she got replaced by Nicole. The first half it’s Cheryl, and in the second half it’s Nicole.”

On whether The X Factor can produce a mega-star like Lady Gaga right out of the gate: “100 percent yes. What I’ve seen on the show in the last couple of years in the U.K. — the kind of artist we’ve attracted — they’re not just competing, they’re murdering the opposition in the U.K. at the moment. We hope to do the same thing with the show here. That was always the sole reason for making a show like this. Because anyone can be the winner. But can you find a different kind of artist who doesn’t only work within a competition show? Who can actually compete with big artists around the world? That’s what you hope is going to happen, and I will die trying to make it happen.”

There's more at the links including a lot his spin on his time with Idol and its influence on X Factor.

Edited by Dejana, Sep 14, 2011 @ 4:14 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

In the UK version, they have taken individuals and formed groups from them. Cowell has said they will not be above that in the US version.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 8:55 AM

I was just reading reviews and it looks like the first episode with Cheryl was sent out and she gets rave reviews. TV Guide mentioned the accent thing was ridiculous and she comes off very charming. Nicole pretty much got slammed which I expected. Cheryl aside, she was terrible on The Sing Off and wasn't great on the UK X Factor. Her persona is so cold and phony. I wish when replacing Cheryl (which even Simon admits was unnecessary) they had simply moved Kelly Rowland to the US show. Hell, anybody other than Nicole.

I think a weak judging panel will definitely hurt this shows chances of success. If it does even remotely well (Simon says success is at least 20 mil viewers) I expect a judge shake up for season two. No way Nicole will last another year. I bet they'll give her Over 25's too.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

Since they cut Cheryl off mid-season, wonder if they can do it twice...

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 6:10 PM

never mind

Edited by corvus13, Sep 16, 2011 @ 6:47 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:11 PM

Just hoping this doesn't turn into another WGWG contest.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:38 PM

Firing Cheryl Cole was a swing and a miss for Simon Cowell, if the critics are to be believed.

Edited by Vienna Woods, Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:38 PM.

MagniFicent

MagniFicent

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

God. The rapper at the end (Chris)...was I the only one that couldn't stand him? I was rolling my eyes when they did the slow-motion standing ovation. I have a feeling he's going to be around for a long, long time annoying the hell out of me.

Other than that, LA Reid was the pleasant surprise of the night for me. I had no idea who he was, but he seems to really really know his stuff. I think he'll be a worthy foil to Simon Cowell, which is something we never saw on Idol.

Gonna miss Cheryl for shallow reasons. Not that Nicole is lacking in that regard, but, come on. Cheryl Cole.

Edited by MagniFicent, Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:01 PM.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

Well I'm sold. It held my interest for the full two hours which is more than I can say for the audition episodes of last season's American Idol or the Voice. They showed just enough bad auditions to satisfy our need for them, but focused on the incredible ones. And surprisingly not TOO many sob stories, which was pretty nice. The lady who sang "Natural Woman" and escaped from an abusive relationship almost brought tears to my eyes.

After the criticism about the judges on AI and SYTYCD making the show all about themselves instead of the contestants, I'm glad that Nicole avoided that trap. No wait, that's exactly what she did. That whole birthday business was barftastic.

(I'll give Paula the hasty exit through that perv's audition. Nasty.)

Cheryl did not look bewildered at all except during the old couple's rendition of "Unchained Melody." But I think we all were. I don't know what Simon's about and this was a huge misstep of his.

The guy with glasses in The Anser had the X Factor; I have a feeling his other group members will be dragging him down.

And I am LOVING L.A. Reid. He has awesome spot-on critiques and is unbending to Simon. He's a really refreshing change as a judge, similar to Ben Folds on The Sing-Off. I'm looking forward to his and Simon's rivalry.

Good show, can't wait for tomorrow. And bootcamp!

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

LOVED the final rapper!

Got some other faves, but didn't really take down their names, so..!

When the old couple was singing "Unchained Melody," my Closed-Captioning said "Off-key"! Bwah!

Edited by LennieB, Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:04 PM.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

I was fairly underwhelmed by the talent at the beginning. In cases where constructive criticism (at the very least from Simon and L.A.) seemed warranted, they were giving tongue baths. Stacey Francis was the first contestant to pique my interest and even she could have benefited from some constructive criticism.

I liked the Bobby Brown/Usher guy. I think he'll show a lot of versatility. I liked Chris too but somehow, I don't think he is quite ready for either the competition or success in the music industry. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this ending well.

The "Anser": They weren't bad singers but between their outfits, song choice and the spelling of the group's name, I am already annoyed. Tres Poseur-ific.

I can only hope that the real reason Cheryl was fired because they didn't think she was adding any judging drama because she was far better than Nicole. Nicole is very pretty cardboard who, instead of being inoffensive fluff, is extremely annoying. I get the feeling that she goes home and watches every millisecond of her own footage and then re-watches it in slow motion.

As someone who quit American Idol several seasons ago, I get the feeling that I am going to have the same problem that I ended up having with AI: the favorites and top finalists will be very obvious too early on. I need more mystery. Hopefully I am wrong because I do like the combination of Simon, Paula and L.A. I haven't watch every reality talent competition, but they are the best judging combination that I've seen at least.

Edited by Cameltoes, Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:05 PM.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

Garbage man was offkey. He's been clean 70 days but the kid is 2 and a half? It just makes me feel bad for all the singers without the redemption arc. I loathed the grandiose shots of the judges, the soap opera music, the going to slow motion on stories... it felt so overproduced and staged. It made me nervous, like someone was about to be put to death or something. Blech.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

I'm really surprised that Cheryl was let go after seeing the first hour. She was personable and seemed to enjoy herself. Nicole comes across as kind of an ice queen. I genuinely think this was a case of Fox execs getting cold feet about two Brits judging on the show and Simon relenting to them.

That being said, Cheryl is bland as a mentor from her history on the UK version. I don't think Nicole will be better... actually I think Nicole will be the worst mentor.

I actually really like LA as a judge so far. I predict he's going to show up Simon and I cannot wait.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

Cheryl's firing is a classic case of too many chefs in the kitchen. Ameriker can't understand her enunciation? Are you freaking serious?

For the life of me I do not get the appeal of addict rapper dude. I loved Simon's bargain with him, though. Of course, I highly doubt he will require the addict to perform random tests.

I could scarcely believe the audition by the 42 year old. She is a prodigy. I have no idea if she will hold up, but her God-given gift is wondrous.

I lost much respect for Simon as he allowed that travesty of titillation to continue. One could pretty much see his devious mind calculating how much tape he would need for this segment as he let it go on and on and on and onnnnnnn...... But the problem with the show was Cheryl's diction!!!! Ugh.

I am not sure if Ameriker will take to this show. I will certainly be giving it every chance.

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

Trying to see what was wrong with Cheryl Cole. I've seen plenty of her on the UK X-Factor, and there wasn't much difference between the two. On the other hand Nicole came off as a vapid airhead. Sorry the whole Birthday thing made me want to puke. If they would have given Cheryl a bit more time than say two days of auditions then everything would have been fine. She just had to get her feet wet first.

I wasn't too impressed with the talent they found. Good luck to the meth addict who's only 70 days sober. I'm not sure jumping into a pressure cooker like the X-Factor is going to help you much. On the bright side though Stacey Fisher is probably heading straight towards being one of the four for the over's category, and The Anser will probably at least make it to the judges houses. Other than that not much.

I really hated the flasher. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure what he did was illegal. At least it is where I live. Why didn't security immediately pull him off stage? Instead they egged him on for a few more minutes when there wasn't the need to.

And was there a host, or was that wallpaper?

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:50 PM

I get the feeling that she goes home and watches every millisecond of her own footage and then re-watches it in slow motion.

LOL! I could picture this clearly!

And was there a host, or was that wallpaper?

I forgot there even was a host...there really doesn't need to be one on this show, I think.

Turns out the 42-year-old did have some experience in the spotlight. She was in a girl band in the '90s called Ex-Girlfriend. Well no matter, I'd still consider her an "unknown."

Edited by niklj, Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:54 PM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

(does the happy dance)

Simon's back, Simon's back, Simon's back.

I so missed Simon on American Idol last year. I am thrilled to have him back in the judges seat.

I really enjoyed the two hours. I like that LA is there and is happily challenging Simon. I love that Simon knows that he is not the top judge and that he has, at the very least, an equal. Good stuff.

Paula appeared to be sober. The judging change in the middle of the show was confusing. The talent was good. The delusional twits were really delusional. I am guessing that the idiot who dropped his pants had some type of thong on. There is no way they would let him keep going if he was fully exposing himself. And I do not buy that Paula had to be sick because of what she saw.

I am looking forward to tomorrow nights show. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

The first guy in Seattle (Gio??) who dropped his pants! He shoulda been arrested for indecent exposure, especially if FOX decided to show that on an audition show. If you're gonna show that for as long as they did, make him spend some time in King County Jail. You know that next year someone will try to outdo him.