Big Brother Editing: That Racist/Homophobe/Douchebag Is Getting A Hero's Edit!

• Please log in to reply

299 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

If you want to talk about how the feeds differed from the episode after it's aired, please do so here. Discussion of the feeds is off limits in the episode threads.

However, if you're talking about stuff that's game-related/spoilery from the feeds, don't talk about it here without spoiler tagging it unless the episode in question has already aired.

sedeyus

sedeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:24 AM

So this should really be called the Jeff thread? I was actually a pretty big fan of his during season 11. Even though, he became a paranoid douchebag at the end, I still chalked that up to Big Brother making anyone a paranoid douchebag after three months. But this year? I don't know if it's coming in knowing that viewers love him or his alliance being in power since the beginning, but he's been an absolute nightmare. From the homophobic comments that never got shown, to his constant derision for the newbies, to the fact he's actually pretty terrible at this game, the man has gotten the most flattering edit since Evel Dick.

Edited by sedeyus, Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:26 AM.

Arya Snark

Arya Snark

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:26 AM

I'm confused. Isn't this something that gets discussed in the thread for the feeds as it is?

NTLurker

NTLurker

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

I think its also for those that don't watch or read about the live feeds but have a few questions about what's going on behind the scenes.

Arya Snark

Arya Snark

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:05 AM

Ah, makes sense. Thanks. :)

Slider

Slider

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

I'm confused. Isn't this something that gets discussed in the thread for the feeds as it is?

It's hard to discuss it in the feeds sometimes, because the feeds discussion could be four days ahead when the episode airs and by that time the live feeders have moved on and discussed other things.

For example: Jordan got an amazing edit, because she wasn't really mad at making her team have-nots. She was mad because Dani made her a gross drink (which Jordan's didn't sound that tasty either) and SHE was on slop again. This happened on Friday in real life, but it didn't air until Sunday night.

I think Jeff and Jordan know exactly how popular they were on their season, and are milking it for all it's worth this one. A lot of Jeff's talk about the upcoming twist was edited down too. He basically said that America loves him so much that if he was evicted he would come right back. The same for all the vets. They are so certain that this twist was specifically made for them. Which I really don't think it was. I honestly believe that CBS realized they needed a newbie to step up and actually play.

So this should really be called the Jeff thread? I was actually a pretty big fan of his during season 11. Even though, he became a paranoid douchebag at the end, I still chalked that up to Big Brother making anyone a paranoid douchebag after three months. But this year? I don't know if it's coming in knowing that viewers love him or his alliance being in power since the beginning, but he's been an absolute nightmare. From the homophobic comments that never got shown, to his constant derision for the newbies, to the fact he's actually pretty terrible at this game, the man has gotten the most flattering edit since Evel Dick.

The vets have all gotten great edits to the point that I think TPTB understand how they tick more than the newbies and know what they can get from them. I think they are easier to work with.

BTW - great title Mars. I couldn't come up with anything crafty!

Edited by Slider, Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:10 AM.

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

Totally done with that bully named Jeff. He talks to Jordan like crap sometimes, quick temper, physically imposing on the females.

Edited by AFDiva, Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:42 AM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

I think Jeff is getting an even better edit than Dick got. They actually showed a lot of the heinous shit Dick did. They put it to rock music and down-played it immensely, but they didn't hide a lot of it. They hide every single thing that makes Jeff look bad. They just cut it from the scenes or don't air the scenes at all.

Edited by peachmangosteen, Aug 9, 2011 @ 1:50 PM.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

I don't think Brenchel has gotten as good of an edit. (or at least Brendon hasn't) His comment about Kalia's Muffin top and being made to look foolish about his veto ceremony certainly didn't improve his standing.

It's hard to tell if you've never played before, but if you're dealing with someone like Jeff who you know is America's sweetheart why not call him out in a ceremony or a live show. I would love if during an HOH interview or during an eviction someone would just say "Jeff, I hope you get educated because some of your homophobic comments really bothered me." Then say, "In case America hasn't seen it I'd try googling Jeff, Big Brother and Dumbledore, I'm sure a live feed watcher will be happy to fill you in." Not only would Julie be incredibly stuck and they would have to explain why something like that wasn't shown on a much larger audience, but chances are Jeff would flip out on live TV and they wouldn't be able to protect him.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 6:58 PM

Dick's edit bothered me more than Jeff's because they edited most of the people in the house who were against Dick to look so heinous that they deserved his ugly behavior. They were in such need to humiliate anyone who went against him that they even had to put wacky haha music over scenes of Jameka praying. I didn't really like Jameka that much, due to some of her comments about other people in the house, but I don't like the idea of just a simple shot of someone praying being used as a punching bag. It was a very toxic edit. They also made sure to have most of his comments seem fun, or cool.

Edited by steve91199, Aug 9, 2011 @ 6:59 PM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

True, steve. But, still they did show a lot of Dick's worst outbursts. I don't think they've really shown a single one of Jeff's.

kuribo

kuribo

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 4:58 AM

The most damning thing to me about the live feeds as opposed to the show is:

A) The veterans completely acting like they're on a couples retreat and how dare anyone try to steal $500,000 from them and ruin their free vacation. It's touched on a little on the show with Rachel, but J/J acts like this too, and come off like smug a-holes for it.

B) On the show, Shelly is portrayed as a diabolical genius that is playing both sides. On the live feeds, she is a mean, nasty, hateful witch who belches venomous bile all over the house behind peoples' backs.

c) On the show, Lawon pretty much does absolutely nothing. On the live feeds.... Okay, so they have this one right. Seriously, is he sitting around in Howie's Jack Shack all day? I hardly ever even see him on the feeds.

sedeyus

sedeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

B) On the show, Shelly is portrayed as a diabolical genius that is playing both sides. On the live feeds, she is a mean, nasty, hateful witch who belches venomous bile all over the house behind peoples' backs.

I almost think the show doesn't hammer the diabolical genius angle enough. Maybe because she doesn't really talk shit in the DR. She's unusual in that she's probably playing the best game out of anybody but she seems to be playing more for J/J than herself. Shelley seems perfectly happy to land in the final three with a couple who's been dating for years.

Edited by sedeyus, Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:43 AM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

c) On the show, Lawon pretty much does absolutely nothing. On the live feeds.... Okay, so they have this one right. Seriously, is he sitting around in Howie's Jack Shack all day? I hardly ever even see him on the feeds.

Yea, Lawon doesn't pop up much, but when he does, it's usually a good time. He "Talks Sense Wrapped in Nonsense" a lot and it is fun. It'd be pretty hard to effectively edit though, I think.

Edited by peachmangosteen, Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:49 PM.

millennium74

millennium74

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

True, steve. But, still they did show a lot of Dick's worst outbursts. I don't think they've really shown a single one of Jeff's.

Yeah, I think Jeff's edit is absolutely disgusting, and way worse than Dick's. While I didn't like the way they portrayed Dick's "victims" much of the time, I also hated Dick and was utterly perplexed by "America's" love for him. I didn't have the feeds that season and formed my opinion (which it seems a lot of people shared as well, despite all the love) based on his tv edit. Dick did (and does) have haters, and Jen had a lot of fans and sympathizers. Jeff? Other than feed watchers, I don't know a single BB fan who dislikes him, and most BB sites/message boards are filled with over the top J/J love. The CBS site, in particular, is sickening. I actually dislike Jeff MORE than Dick at this point, partly because BB is shoving this completely fake version of him down our throats and demanding we love him. Dick was awful, but he admitted it was his strategy. A gross and utterly despicable strategy, but.... Jeff is vile all on his own and doesn't think he is, at all. They both believe their own hype, and look extremely foolish (seriously people? you are not "stars!") but while Dick is trying to stretch out his 15 minutes via internet talk shows about Big Brother and stupid BB "fan" appearances (therefore recognizing his audience and the limitations of his "fame"), Jeff seems to legit think he's on his way to being the next Brad Pitt. I totally blame BB for this. Also? I don't think Dick is a racist or a homophobe. An asshole, definitely, but not a bigot. Ugh. And now I hate Jeff more because by comparison Dick doesn't look so bad. Maybe I need to go watch S8 and refresh my Dick hatred.

Edited by millennium74, Aug 10, 2011 @ 3:55 PM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

Exactly, millennium74.

And now I hate Jeff more because by comparison Dick doesn't look so bad. Maybe I need to go watch S8 and refresh my Dick hatred.

I know, right!

I shudder at the thought of the possibility that, if Dick were still in the game, I wouldn't hate him as much as I hate Jeff. That's just horrible. I'm already rooting for Dani, that's bad enough.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:11 PM

While I didn't like the way they portrayed Dick's "victims" much of the time, I also hated Dick and was utterly perplexed by "America's" love for him.

I thought they edited Dick perfectly for popularity. He was presented as the cool dad who regretted the past and wept for his daughter. But then this show has aimed so low in recent years that maybe even if his comments about rape had aired he would still have been a hit.

His comments about Jen made mean that I can never get over his edit. That was a vile, vile season, and yet anyone who did what Dick wanted got a kind edit. Only when the truly disgusting Eric dared to question his role as a Donato stooge did he get a bad edit. As soon as he was back in line, the embarrassing "romance" with Jessica started up again.

Edited by steve91199, Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:11 PM.

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

Wow, they completely edited out that Shelly was the mastermind that started the entire plan that ended up with Lawon on the block. They made it seem like it was Rachel's plan.

Danielle also got a total bitch edit, I don't believe for a second that she laughed when Rachel dropped the ball in the POV.

parisprincess

parisprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

I want to puke every time Jeff refers to himself in the third person as "Big Jeff". As pointed out a couple of weeks ago, when someone else gives you a nickname, its cool; when you give yourself one, its sad.

And as usual, he's getting the most TH's and a great edit. Ugg!!!!!

sedeyus

sedeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

Seriously, I wonder why they're underselling Shelley so much. This woman, good or bad, has probably had the most influence on the direction of the game so far.

millennium74

millennium74

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

Seriously, I wonder why they're underselling Shelley so much.

Because it's the Jeff, Jordan, and Rachel show.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

Misogynistic Jeff made another appearance in tonight's show. He is truly a despicable and disgusting person. He cannot leave soon enough.

cocothecuckoo

cocothecuckoo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

I've just read about Brendan's abusive tendencies that are on the live feeds but not on the show. I'm so grossed out. I voted for Brendan about 10 times (please forgive me, for I cannot forgive myself!) because I thought it would be so great to see everyone's reaction.

Now, I'm just really scared for Rachel.

leighcrawl

leighcrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

I feel bad for the people who just watch the show because they have no idea how amazing Shelly is. Whether you like her or not, she can manipulate a tree to walk, and it's just a disservice not only to her but to the general Big Brother public that doesn't have the live feeds. Plus, they're giving the credit to Rachel and Jeff, which is a blatant lie.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

Danielle also got a total bitch edit, I don't believe for a second that she laughed when Rachel dropped the ball in the POV.

I wouldn't have a problem believing she did, but it did seem edited.

I have never liked Daniele but I enjoy the bitch edit with her. She's just saying what makes sense.

This is an odd season. They really aren't giving Jeff or Jordan very heroic edits. Jeff threatened Kalia, Jeff repeatedly disrespected her, even as Kalia said she wanted to work with him. They showed him doing this so many times that it started seeming like they wanted him to be a dick. Jordan meanwhile is mixed.

I don't understand where the editing is going. I think they are setting Jordan/Jeff up as the "good" people who go bad and Brendon/Rachel as the "bad" people who are humbled and become good.

I'm Wrong

I'm Wrong

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

Because it's the Jeff, Jordan, and Rachel show.

That's my thought as to why Shelly's shenanigans were left out of the episode as well. Since I can't stand her, I'm almost delighted that she doesn't get any "credit" for messing up Kalia's head and will feel slighted when she watches this episode at home. But - also since I can't stand her - I kind of wish her dear-daughter-who-she-would-never-lie-in-front-of didn't get to see Mommy Dearest at work. One of the bigger editing exclusions I can ever remember on the show, either way.

Edit: they also didn't show Jordan saying she wanted to go up to the HOH and tell Kalia "go fuck yourself" after the veto competition. Which is not surprising to me, but I'd have like to have seen it.

Edited by I'm Wrong, Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:15 PM.

katesus7

katesus7

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:19 PM

Yeah, I was absolutely floored that Shelly was completely left out of the second half of the episode. I was hoping for a DR where I could finally get inside her head, but apparently that's not as good a story of Rachel having a completely lame conversation with Kalia, after Kalia had already made up her (ridiculous) mind.

Now, I thought Jeff got a bit of a dick edit tonight, but I think I'm biased. The problem with Jeff is, he gives GREAT DRs. He's funny, he's charming, even when he's talking shit, he sounds so good doing it.

pipermaru

pipermaru

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

I think they left Shelly out of it because they're trying to make it seem like it's Jeff and Jordan vs. the entire house. Grodner's golden boy won't seem as heroic if we see half the house fighting harder than he is to keep him in the game.

qeratify

qeratify

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

They left Shelly out because it was FAR too confusing. If Porsche had actually went up, they would have included it. Ultimately Lawon went up because he volunteered, and Kalia was fearing the twist. I agree that it's frustrating that the show is centered around Jeff/Jordan/Rachel though.

I don't think Daniele is getting the bitch edit. They want the audience to laugh at Rachel. Her meltdowns over Brendon are so over the top and ridiculous. It's very different from when they show Jordan cry; they want the audience to sympathize with her.

Guywiththegun

Guywiththegun

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

I cannot stand Shelly so I'm personally not upset that her hard-work will go completely unnoticed. Rachel did go to Kalia with that plan way before Shelly did, and Shelly's plan didn't even succeed (she wanted Porsche gone). Beyond that, if Lawon hadn't volunteered to go up, its very likely Adam would have gone up and Rachel would be going home.

But not speaking from personal feelings, it is shocking that they completely left her out.

Edited by Guywiththegun, Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:48 PM.