9-8: "10 Chefs Compete" 2011.08.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

63 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

From Zap2it:

The red and blue teams compete in a challenge in hope of winning a lavish prize; contestants face elimination.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:43 AM.

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:01 PM

Both of those pizzas were atrocious. However, nothing served really looked that good. Wolfgang Puck deserved better than that. I guess I'll root for Jennifer now.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Jonathon hurt himself to where he was complaining about all this pain he was in. He even had the nerve to say Natalie trying to pass the blame. Hypocrite. I'm glad he's gone. I wish Natalie didn't start crying at the end, though.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

My mute button got a workout tonight. Elise was even hurting my eyeballs with her shiny, shiny lips. ICK! She and Carrie give me a headache. Elise more so, though.
Wolfgang Puck? Really? I would have thought he was better than this show, if that makes any sense.

ETA: Elli DC, you're right. I guess WP's appearance surprised me.

Edited by gryphon, Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:53 PM.

taocpa

taocpa

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

best line of the night: "If you go to Italy they arrest you for that." Wolfgang, you are the man!

Bye Jonathon. Go home to your babies.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

Wolfgang Puck? Really? I would have thought he was better than this show, if that makes any sense.

Hey, a paid television appearance is easy money. He was also on Next Food Network Star, where he was so disgusted/disappointed with one contestant's risotto that he stopped the meal, took her back to the kitchen and taught her to make a real risotto.

Anyway. Goodbye Jonathon, your team is fed up with you. Carrie and Elise, your team is practically fed up with you. Natalie, you better shape up, but you only had two bad episodes (not the same thing as a bad service because who knows with the editing), but I was happy to see the men welcome her back after her fauxlimination.

Makahlua

Makahlua

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

Wow, Jonathon, that was some kind of rude acting like a whiny child in front of frakkin' Wolfgang Puck. Seriously, even Chef Ramsay was treating him like having your honored sensei visit, but no, I'm not taking this up there (blahblahblah). For once it wasn't Elise's face I wanted to punch in.

And yes, it's also -never- his fault - I guess he picked that up from Elise! At least Chef knows when people are trying to BS him, and cuts the right people (err, mostly).

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:50 PM

Did Elise say thank you to the team for allowing her to lead them to victory?? She did do a really good job on the meat station but she is just so full of herself.

I am really, really glad Jonathon is gone. He's been acting like a little bitch for a couple of episodes. I didn't see him do anything to hurt his neck either. Maybe he put his hat on wrong and strained his neck? I was hoping Ramsay would send him home when he had his tantrum over the pizza but better late than never.

wigglepuppy

wigglepuppy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Elise is on another week! I was really hoping she'd blow it on the meat station but for once she actually did some work.

Glad to see Jonathon go. He needed to step up and be a man and stop throwing his teammates under the bus. Sure Tommy gave him a gross pizza idea but he could of said no and made something he wanted to do.

I also love when Grr pulled him into the pantry and told him to suck it up and reminded him that Dave won his season with a broken arm.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Wow, Jonathon, that was some kind of rude acting like a whiny child in front of frakkin' Wolfgang Puck. Seriously, even Chef Ramsay was treating him like having your honored sensei visit, but no, I'm not taking this up there (blahblahblah). For once it wasn't Elise's face I wanted to punch in.

I found it hilarious that the guy who had no problem serving Ramsay canned pineapple suddenly got so picky about serving less-than-desireable food. Yes, the pizza sounded disgusting and looked like someone had spat on it, but acting like a baby about it doesn't exactly help matters.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Elise is on another week! I was really hoping she'd blow it on the meat station but for once she actually did some work.

I know Elise can be hard to take, but I will give credit where credit is due. She did a great job on service tonight. Go Elise! And you really rocked the Lady Gaga look tonight!

And yes, it's also -never- his (Jonothan) fault - I guess he picked that up from Elise!

No. Jonothan has to take responsibility for his own foolishness. He embarrassed Chef Ramsey in front of WPuck, sat out the cleaning duties and performed poorly during service. That was all on him. He deserved to go home. Good riddance.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

These people are truly awful chefs, ALL of them. These are the worst of all the seasons and that's saying something. I just don't see how it is possible not to make pizza in 45 minutes. If you can't do that, you shouldn't even be flipping burgers at Mickeys.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:20 PM

Jonathan needed to be shown the door pronto with all his shenanigans tonight. But the bad news is that the vile Elise probably earned enough respect to keep her on another 3-4 weeks. "Thank you for allowing me to lead you to victory tonight"? What an insufferable ass.

Mr Pants

Mr Pants

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

I'd give Elise more credit if she wasn't so damn smug about everything she does, if she didn't act like a petulant child during punishments, and if she ever admitted to her own mistakes. Also, I think reality shows should start treating "I'm not here to make friends!" like "I don't know" on You Can't Do That on Television. Bring on the green slime!

Okay, that said, I will give Elise credit for performing really well tonight. She can be assertive, maybe even a leader, but she needs to remember that she is part of a TEAM. And she won't get respect from her team if she doesn't give it in return.

I'm glad Tommy is hanging on for the completely shallow reason that I like his eyes and tattoos. I don't see him for the win, though. He's messed up in service too many times and doesn't seem like a leader. Jonathan? It was time to go. He couldn't own up to his own mistakes either, and seemed to be declining.

RavensGirl

RavensGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:31 PM

I think Dave is now the standard by which every other chef on the show will be judged. Now every time someone complains of having a cramp or a pull or a paper cut it is going to be "Oh come on guys Dave did twice as well as you with one bloody arm for ****'s sake!"

enoki

enoki

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

I couldn't hold back my snort of laughter when Elise said that she led the team to victory. Um.... you did a great job on the meat station, but you didn't lead squat. And no one followed you anywhere!

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:42 PM

I just don't see how it is possible not to make pizza in 45 minutes.

Sometimes it's hard to tell with the editing but it looked like Jonathon followed Tommy around for 40 minutes asking him how he wanted him to make the pizza. Just stfu and make the pizza. It did look really awful. What the hell was the liquid? Oil? Carrie's looked better but sounded awful. What did Puck hand her?

I didn't think it was possible but Jamie looked even worse when she was all dressed up. Bless her heart. I died laughing when the comic made fun of Elise's 'hat'. I wonder how long she'd been waiting to bust that thing out. I laughed even harder when the comic talked about Ramsay helping deliver her baby and screaming RAWWWWW when it came out.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:48 PM

The reason the pizza was drowning in liquid was because he didn't press the liquid out of the mozzarella before putting it on the pizza. He should have placed the cheeses slices between a few layers of paper towels, and put a plate or something on top to weigh it down.

What did Puck hand her?

It was the pizza. The dough was basically raw, so he wrapped everything up in the dough and handed it back to her.

Edited by ThatPoshGirl, Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:49 PM.

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

• Interests:Boston Legal, Angel, Buffy, Firefly, 24, Star Trek

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:53 PM

That challenge was embarrassing. Ramsay asked for a twist on classical American comfort food. He didn't ask them to reinvent the wheel. The blue team pizza was something Tommy must have thought up while on meth or coke. Who in their right mind puts oil on a thin crust pizza? Hello slices of grease! And why all that fancy stuff? There's a reason why most "comfort food" restaurants don't offer shallots or arugula or truffle oil as a pizza topping. Meat, cheese, appropriate veggies (mushrooms, onions, etc) and a good sauce makes a pizza. As for a twist? How about using BBQ sauce for the base instead of tomato sauce? Or use tomato sauce but put some exotic spices in it. Instead they tried to reinvent it and the result was that the judge wasn't even willing to try it. Rejection of free pizza should be grounds for a beheading at this level!

However, I don't think Johnathan's pork idea would have worked all that well as an alternative to Tommy's weird pizza. Putting pig on a pizza is going to make it greasy and one would suppose these chefs would know by now that GR is always unimpressed by greasy food.

I'm glad the girls finally won a reward although they got the cheapest one yet.

The gratuitous Dave reference was awesome. If I were Ramsay I would have threatened to bring Dave back to show the rest of these turkeys how it's really done.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 11:58 PM

I think the girls needed to get out. So glad they finally won something. I agree about Elise but for some reason I keep hoping she redeems herself.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

Jo + nathan = Jonathan

rkthespos

rkthespos

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:25 AM

I agree with the above regarding Elise's "leading the team to victory" comment - what a load of BS! Believe it or not, the way the meat orders were coming in makes it easier to get into a rythm - she didn't screw up, so what? She should get a trophy? Carrie is useless - it's a toss up who will get booted first...

As far as Jonathan goes, I would have hopped upstairs and told him to get his shank ass downstairs or pack his bags. What a freakin' wuss-boy!

I can't say I really like any of these cheftestants - unless someone starts to shine soon I may be tuning out.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:27 AM

Sometimes it's hard to tell with the editing but it looked like Jonathon followed Tommy around for 40 minutes asking him how he wanted him to make the pizza. Just stfu and make the pizza. It did look really awful. What the hell was the liquid? Oil? Carrie's looked better but sounded awful. What did Puck hand her?

I think the liquid was water. The cheese was waaaaaay too thick, which causes all the water to be released once it was put in the oven. Fresh mozzarella has a super high water content, so you have to be careful to slice it thinly so the water can steam off.

Also, pizza ovens usually take a very long time to heat up. I bet that these idiot chefs were too stupid to check that the oven was actually hot. A big brick pizza oven probably takes longer than 45 minutes to get to operating temp. Hotter is better when it comes to cooking pizza. I know grimaldi's in New York uses coal so then can get the oven over a thousand degrees.

Who in their right mind puts oil on a thin crust pizza? Hello slices of grease! And why all that fancy stuff? There's a reason why most "comfort food" restaurants don't offer shallots or arugula or truffle oil as a pizza topping. Meat, cheese, appropriate veggies (mushrooms, onions, etc) and a good sauce makes a pizza.

That is exactly what Wolfgang Puck is famous for, the kind that would use olive oil and other types of ingredients. The olive oil does not make the pizza greasy if you don't use the greasy cheeses like cheddar and non-fresh mozzarela. In fact you need the oil to make certain pizzas less dry, otherwise it is like eating a piece of dry bread with toppings.

Edited by Grimes, Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:37 AM.

pnina

pnina

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:34 AM

Shocked! Surprised! Elise actually did some work last night. Grr was so stunned he actually praised her!

So glad Jonathan is gone -- tired of his whining and blaming everyone else for his mistakes. Could not believe that he didn't want to take his pizza up front to Puck and Ramsey. Granted it was a hot mess, but come on -- man up!

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:59 AM

I couldn't hold back my snort of laughter when Elise said that she led the team to victory. Um.... you did a great job on the meat station, but you didn't lead squat. And no one followed you anywhere!

There was a bit of an odd pause in her TH right before she made that infamous statement. That makes me think that either she was searching for a way to frame herself as the hero, or she was being coached.

It always annoys the crap out of me when someone on the losing team either sandbags their effort during the punishment (Elise) or just begs out altogether (Jonathan), especially if they don't do their share of prep, and then jumps right back in for the service. There should be some sort of penalty for skipping the punishment. What's to keep someone from completely faking an injury? Saves them energy and misery, and keeps them fresher than their teammates for the service. Seems like an obvious strategy.

Arya Snark

Arya Snark

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

Lucky us, Elise's ego has now been fed and she'll be even more insufferable from here on out. I keep waiting for her to screw up, but it's hard when she barely does any work. Girl rocked her station last night, but so did the rest of her team. "Leading them to victory" ... please.

Raguel

Raguel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:26 AM

Oh, Elise... How is it that nobody there has busted you in the mouth? I can't listen to you anymore.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:06 AM

When Gordon was yelling at Jonathan about his injury, I turned to my friend and said, "For fuck's sake, Dave won with a broken arm!" which was immediately followed by Gordon saying Dave won with a broken arm! At first, I had some hope for Jonathan as he seemed a bit in the same vein as Dave and Danny, but he quickly lost me when he refused to take any responsibility for his actions.
And Elise? I have no words.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:56 AM

Didn't someone pull a similar move as Jonathon's last season, claiming an injury and spending the day "nursing" his or her pain? Spoiled child behaviour from an adult has no place in a kitchen and not even in real life.

Did they use mozzarella di buffala on their pizza? No wonder it seemed so mushy. Not from the olive oil, I always put a small reasonable amount olive oil on my pizzas (thin or thick crust) and they never are greasy; but as Grimes indicated, too much cheese or too thick slices can lead to disaster, especially with fresh cheese. There are hundreds of excellent possible variations that go beyond the basic "meat-cheese-mushrooms-sauce" model. You just need to be careful with some ingredients, which can turn watery or greasy if used in excess or incorrectly.

Edited by MGaboriau, Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:57 AM.

cmahorror

cmahorror

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 11:50 AM

That is exactly what Wolfgang Puck is famous for, the kind that would use olive oil and other types of ingredients.

What I find funny is that I ate at one of Puck's restaurants in Florida and I got the pizza ... and promptly sent it back. Why? The top was soaked in grease, so much so that it actually could have been spooned off just like WP did last night.

God, Elise you did not lead your team to victory, you did your job cooking meat. That is it. And isn't meat really one of the easier stations. Fish and appetizers seem to be much more difficult.

BusyOctober

BusyOctober

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

I just started watching this season 2 episodes ago- the contestants get less and less professional every season. Who is hiring these people to work in their kitchens? And I know it's been brought up before, but how can any of them possibly have the sensitive pallettes necessary for cooking when they all SMOKE like chimneys? Every smoker I know over-seasons with salt or pepper or hot sauce so their damaged tastebuds can actually perceive flavor. Have they done the blindfold taste test yet? I'm always amazed they can get even 1 ingredient correct.

Now for the shallow end of the snark pool: Elise reminds me of thinner Rayven Simone and Tommy looks like Jake Gyllenhaal's genetically disadvantaged cousin with a dash of serial killer.