1-9,10: "Mutiny/Eight Hours" 2011.08.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

153 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 12:10 AM

From ZAP2it: Mutiny

Tension between Weaver and Tom threatens to tear the group apart on the eve of their attack on the alien base structure.

and Eight Hours

Hal, Weaver, Pope and others embark on an ambitious assault; Tom must defend the civilian camp against a surprise attack; Tom encounters an alien being.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

And let me be the first to say: WTF?

NurseJenniffer

NurseJenniffer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Well, I didn't expect that. However, I am very pissed that we won't see anything until 2012.

And let me be the first to say: WTF?

Let me be the second... WTF?

Edited by NurseJenniffer, Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:00 PM.

EllieH

EllieH

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Let me be the second... WTF?

I'll be next ... WTF?

The second half of the second half felt like I was watching highlights from a much longer show, it felt jumpy and like I was missing pieces?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

This show refuses to make the hard choices. If you don't want to put Rick down, keep him sedated at least.
Nice homage to CEOTTK at the end.

NurseJenniffer

NurseJenniffer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

This season started out slow, then ramped up at the end. I would have liked a little more juice between the beginning and Tom being taken by the aliens. The way they found Tom and Weaver so quickly, I don't have any doubts that they knew where they were all along.

Poor Ricky, even the skitters don't love him.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

At the beginning: "Dai's been hit!" and what else is new? This poor dude gets beaten up or shot every other episode.

So Weaver was "Crazy Weaver" after all!

I wish the dialogue would take out the continuous "He's 16" lines about Hal every few eps. It's almost as if the show is trying its hardest to convince the viewers. And it ain't workin'.

"The battles of Lexington and Concord." Oh man, shut up Tom!

Great going, Ben! No Skitter-sympathizer there. I just hope he doesn't wind up with an aneurysm out of all this.

Ok, I hate to poop the party, but I can't stand these tremendous odds against the humans, and these magical plot contrivances that save them at every turn. †These aliens took out the armed forces of the entire world, and Uncle Scott's Victrola stops them in their tracks? Really, show?!!

And Tom leaves with the aliens?!!! T. S. T. L.

This season ending blew crazy chunks.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Hug-o-riffic! Seriously, I hadn't noticed the excessive hugging until someone here pointed it out, now it pulls me out of a scene every time.

Tom's one-in-a-million shot with that "RPG" was silly. His immediate surrender because the aliens threatened Ben was ridiculous, because they're really good at keeping their promises. I really expected Weaver to open fire on that nice tempting 9 foot tall target as Tom walked off with them, but no. "Tom? Tom? Tom?"

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Noah Wyle has officially become the Richard Dreyfuss of the more hostile New Millenium.

Let's hope that next season the show picks up inside the alien craft and the audience finally gets to know more... anything.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

Okay, after that initial blast of "Tom, what the hell are you doing?"...honestly, I was with him on this one before he skipped off with Zombie Karen and her tall new friend: Team Skitter-no-wait-we're-just-patsies invades the planet, nearly wipes out humanity, and after some fun with radio frequencies and the luckiest-assed RPG shot I've ever seen they decide to go all Minbari and are all "Hey, look at the crazy indigenous species that's left. Why don't we talk to them now, before we wipe them out"? Shouldn't this have been the point where one of their ships drops a blue light special on their resistant asses? Or where Zombie Karen ties him to a chair in the ship after it takes off and goes "This is where we probe your brain to discover your group's plans so we can stop them...oh, this might hurt a bit"?

I tried to fight it, but y'all were right: this is the Hallmark Apocalypse.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

The elation followed by the let down reminded me of a remake of War of the Worlds where after a hell of a lot of guesswork regarding what this alien ship hovering over a particular city wanted (i.e. were they invading or just making contact, should we try to nuke them etc) the aliens act in a hostile manner. The earth has to pull off this crazy massive assault just to get one nuke through because of the ship's shielding and the Hail Mary pass works and the newscasters announce it and people rejoice.... then NASA reports that over 100 000 ships have just arrived and the aliens bombs start dropping and the tv signal is lost. I believe it was broadcast on Halloween like Orsen Well's version was.

I'm with those who think this just doesn't make sense. They wipe out he world's armies and these jokers win a battle and blow something up and we are to believe that these mooks have a chance? You can't have it both ways. Either more army would have survived or these jokers are toast.

Getting into the ship was just too stupid for words...unless you have a vest of C4 on and you are planning to go out with a bang. The flip side of this is what the hell are the aliens thinking? Shoot the guy who gave you a bloody nose and be done with it. Have these guys been watching James Bond movies and cribbed from those villains?

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who said "Thank god that's over."

19K Vet

19K Vet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

I see that Tom's plan of "Surrender Early, Surrender Often" is in effect. What history lesson did he draw that from?

Sure, as two former POWs are running away, shoot the one that has been actively trying to get integrated back into your society, and not the one that has been lurking around the edges hoping to return to his captors. Totally makes sense.

I was really looking forward to what the .50 Cal with mech bullets would do.

Oh, and in Boston the military units must carry heat seaking versions of RPGs, that's the only way to explain Tom's shot that hits a craft causing it to esssplode inside the tower and do substantial damage.

"Tom I'm leaving you in charge of making sure the civilians are safe".....five minutes later "Annie I'm leaving you in charge of the civilians safety so I can go deliver another history lesson to our shortsighted commander and make a 1/6,000,000,000 shot."

Best part was the Dr. on Dr. action.

Don't think I'll care about this show in a year. It was unintentionally funny, but that's not enough to bring me back. This board probably will though.

So, the 2nd Massholes are down to what, 15 fighters and 200+ civilians? Time to cross train everybody on the weapons systems and multiply the force. If a former history prof can make that rpg shot, any drunk clown, or sales rep, or otherwise useless parasite can take down a mech.

I was so hoping to hear the alien fighter jet come screaming in on the high school after they were celebrating beating off the mech assault. Blue light special, and it becomes the Hal show.

What exactly was the point of taking the bus on the strike mission? Did they look for the slowest and least maneuverable vehicle?

I really hope the Colonel survives. The rest of the military, TSTL.

NurseJenniffer

NurseJenniffer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

Oh, and in Boston the military units must carry heat seaking versions of RPGs, that's the only way to explain Tom's shot that hits a craft causing it to esssplode inside the tower and do substantial damage.

The RPG came from the home of one of Masons fellow professors. It was not a military supply. He had two RPG'S, the guy used the first one and blew up a ship and he got the K-Mart blue light special shortly after.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

Why did it take 37 resistance fighters ten minutes and almost all their Magical Mech Bullets to take down the first mech? Are they such terrible shots or did Pope's ammo recipe not work so well? I'm confuzzled. BTW are those wing stumps on the backs of the mechs or are they designed to carry backpacks too?

After a regular diet of sedatives and speed, shouldn't Weaver be going thru some major withdrawal symptoms and have just as poor judgment as when he was actively addicted? I think we should ask Doctor Drew since Doctor Annie seemes to have skipped that class too in her long list of hooky-playing from med school and residency requirements. Good to know that Lourdes is back in med school and not at Wellsley undergrad. Phew!

Awww, in between all the family hugging and world saving, Tom finally managed to squeeze in a kiss with his new squeeze. Plus a reassuring "I'll be baaack" hand hold. Or squeeze.

Did anyone else think the tall alien had a touch of a madonna [the original] thing going with the head drape and maybe-boobs? Perhaps later Lourdes will recognize her in a vision and double-check with Fatima.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

Hey Tom, say 'Hello' to Fallon Carrington in there.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:08 AM

Double-hug! That's all I could think of when Tom said good-bye to Hal and Ben. Well played, Tom. And you finally kissed Annie, which I saw coming since the pilot. Not a bad kiss, although I was distracted that Noah still looked so grimy and hairy, while Moon looked like she just got off doing a model shoot. Seriously, does Tom not believe in showering, or does Annie just hog all the water from everyone else?

Glad they addressed what those pills were that Weaver was taking and that it was what was causing him to be so crazy lately. Glad that plot is over, although I will confess that I liked that it was Jimmy that finally broke the spell. I really kind of like their relationship. Of course, I'm just glad he didn't die; I figured that Weaver was going to sacrifice himself in the end, so that Tom would have to take over, so I'll give them that.

Hello again, Sarah Carter in a sleeveless shirt, rocking the fake tattoos. I missed you last week.

Of course Rick turned on them. Good job keeping you eyes on the ball, 2nd Mass. Special gold star goes to guy who made it worse by pointing a gun a Ben. I'm not usually for mindless violence, but I would have been all for Tom just shooting the guy on the spot for that.

So, the cliffhanger is that Tom is now with the new overlords. Hopefully, we'll actually get to see him learn some stuff and get this story moving.

I'm actually glad it won't be back to next summer, because had it came back earlier, I'd probably not keep watching. But since it's only during summer, I'll stick with it. There are worst things to watch and I like the majority of the actors. Oh, who am I kidding: I'll follow Moon Bloodgood and Sarah Carter anywhere (hell, I'm just glad Moon finally has a show that didn't get canceled in it's first season.) But I really hope they step it up next year. And I wouldn't even be against some entertaining stunt-casting. Still voting for Michael Ironside!

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:13 AM

I see that Tom's plan of "Surrender Early, Surrender Often" is in effect. What history lesson did he draw that from?

France 1940 - zing!

So Ricky wasn't under mind control at all, he was just an asshole? And how old is Hal again? I keep forgetting. Still looks like a 40-year-old dad with a 30-year-old son.

Booklord

Booklord

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:22 AM

I'm just going to fanwank that Tom realized that the alien ship had them dead to rights and there was no chance of him and Weaver winning that fight. So he decided to go into the alien ship so Weaver would survive and on the extremely slim chance he would.

I'm also going to fanwank that the alien ships use the same metal as the mechs and their auto defense systems only activate when something consisting of a non-mech, non ship material flies toward them. ( To keep them from going into evasive manuevers when one of their own ships does a fly by )

There my headache is starting to go away.

free7694

free7694

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

I'm just going to fanwank that Tom realized that the alien ship had them dead to rights and there was no chance of him and Weaver winning that fight. So he decided to go into the alien ship so Weaver would survive and on the extremely slim chance he would.

Well, Karen did say something along the lines of "They can force you..." So if Tom was considering not going with the aliens, I'm sure that bit convinced him that heading into the ship voluntarily was the wise thing to do. He was going with Karen and the big gray alien whether he wanted to or not, and he decided that going on his own terms would probably be less painful.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

• Interests:Child welfare and social reform

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:02 AM

I wish the dialogue would take out the continuous "He's 16" lines about Hal every few eps. It's almost as if the show is trying its hardest to convince the viewers. And it ain't workin'.

Yeah. And, an early scene tonight showed Hal laughing with "the other kids" while watching a movie in the gym? Really, show?

Did anyone else think the tall alien had a touch of a madonna [the original] thing going with the head drape and maybe-boobs?

Definitely. Lanky Luke looked like a lady as well as a dude. I wonder if they've thrown Prof Tom out mid-galaxy by now? How much of him can they take?

This was my first thought, too.

At the Big End, when the Small-Headed Lanky Luke-Lucretia alighted from its ride, I really just laughed. For me, it was way too reminiscent of Close Encounters, and it just felt silly. As if Tom Mason were such a genius of military intelligence and field ops that the Invaders knew he was the one they wanted? With Weaver standing there? Why? Why not take Weaver for a ride too, or, at least, ask him if he wants to come? KarenBot was fixated on Tom only.

And I hate harnessed Karen, all cult-like Zombie automaton. Is that the best the Invaders can do? It's so old.

The show kept up its established pattern tonight. Anthony was shot. But, at least, he wasn't killed. Yet.

Edited by sleekandchic, Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:29 AM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:55 AM

The show kept up its established pattern tonight. Anthony was shot. But, at least, he wasn't killed. Yet.

Yes, Anthony got promoted to an honorary Asian! Like Dai, he can look forward to getting injured but not killed in every other episode next year.

Tomís direct hit with the RPG was the most far-fetched detail for me tonight, but on the other hand, it was fun to see the damaged ship fly into the Skitter Bay Condo in the Sky and blow up some more stuff.

Next most far-fetched idea was that Weaver went cold turkey off of the speed and barbiturates he was taking, and the only symptoms were a shaking hand and rash judgment and temper. Iím no expert, but I thought withdrawal from that kind of drug cocktail could be really nasty.

I liked the plot twist where Ben was able to help Scott find the correct frequency to drive the Mechs away. The resistance needed some kind of Hail Mary pass at that point, because they were doomed otherwise. Iím assuming that the frequency only caused Ben pain, and didnít cause him to run away, because he is no longer harnessed.

Poor Rick. I did want to know what he was doing when the signal got hooked up to the bigger antenna. I would think he would have been more miserable than Ben.

Oh, yes. That really took me back. My most vivid memory of that movie was the mashed-potato mountain Richard Dreyfus built, and the alien ship at the end.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 3:24 AM

The mech bullets were kind of disappointing. After the demo I was expecting them to drop a mech with just one or two rounds.

I guess there was no actual action because they blew their entire SFX budget on that scene at the end with Marvin Martian and Tom.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 6:11 AM

henriPootel:

So Ricky wasn't under mind control at all, he was just an asshole?

He wasn't even that lucky, because that would have been an improvement over what we got: he sabotages the transmitter, bails to snitch on the Massholes to the aliens via creepy 12%-transformation-complete zombie girl in order to get plugged in again, and instead he gets summarily dumped. No harness, no return to "our people" who have thus far made a point of wanting younger humans for their workforce/future ground troops, just "Thanks for the information, sucker!" And said dumping wasn't even a plan to sabotage the Massholes from within. Oh, writers, you had a golden opportunity to pull a Wrath of Khan with him (see: Chekov--they could have had Ben or Anne talk him down before he succeeded at whatever and he'd still be a weepy mess, but at least it'd make more sense) and you didn't take it?

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

It was pretty ridiculous for Little Ricky to go from angry, yet passive, skitter wannabe to emotionally wrecked human teen in no notes (anyone remember Name That Tune?).

And how did Dr. Hottie not see Little Ricky ceiling surfing when she walked into the room? Oh, never mind.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 7:23 AM

Hmm, well I liked the finale but it didn't WOW me. I felt Mutiny was a waste of time, just unnecessary manufactured drama. However, I forgive them b/c I love Will Patton and the father/son relationship between Weaver/Jimmy is really sweet.

I'm honestly not sure what to do with Rick. On one hand he's a traitor, on the other he's a messed up kid suffering from Stockholm syndrome or battling genetic manipulation. Part of me is SHOOT him, the other part is HELP him.

I really like Maggie, she's totally growing on me, I love that (as of right now) she's not a LI for one of the characters and that her strongest defining characteristic (that I can see) is her love/compassion for children. That totally works for me as a badass female character with a softer side. I know there were some questions about Maggie/Hal during the funeral but given her reaction to Jimmy, I'm going with big sister over potential love interest.

As far as Eight Hours goes, I liked it, thought it could have had more action for a season finale but I'll take what I can get. There was some nice intense scenes and some corny scenes but nothing that hooked me.

In regards to Tom surrendering, my first thought was "IDIOT!". Then I realized, what choice did he have? They were able to find them awfully fast, which means they probably knew where they were headed ahead of time. Plus it was 2 humans (possibly with Mech bullets) against a dude in a ship. Now, I suppose they could have just killed him, but the backlash would have resulted in the 2nd Mass getting hunted down (IMO). So, Tom surrenders and buys himself, Weaver, Ben and probably the rest of the 2nd Mass some time.

Was it the best situation? No, but like Tom I'm an eternal optimist so I can see the benefit to his decision and "hope" for the best.

On a shallow note there's 3 things that could make every episode an A+ (for me).
1 - Dai shirtless and high
2 - Tom quoting/reenacting historical speeches
3 - Pope's rants/soliloquy's about anything/everything (including food)

I'll be back next summer.

Edited by morrigan2575, Aug 8, 2011 @ 7:26 AM.

19K Vet

19K Vet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

NurseJennifer

The RPG came from the home of one of Masons fellow professors. It was not a military supply. He had two RPG'S, the guy used the first one and blew up a ship and he got the K-Mart blue light special shortly after.

IIRC Tom's prof buddy had AT-4s. The disposable rocket launchers that the US military uses. Am I misremembering?

I was under the impression that Pope had acquired the RPG after the fall of humanity, when apparently weapons from anywhere and everywhere were showing up on the Boston Market.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

Oh, writers, you had a golden opportunity to pull a Wrath of Khan with him (see: Chekov--they could have had Ben or Anne talk him down before he succeeded at whatever and he'd still be a weepy mess, but at least it'd make more sense) and you didn't take it?

Not to mention the wasted effect of Ricky climbing the walls and ceiling like a Skitter! And no one in the room gave a hoot. And then all he does is bop Uncle Scott on the noggin and run off with the cog. Why introduce potentially cool stuff and then deflate our expectations every time?

Also, we can add Ricky to the casualties of black characters on this show who are totally getting dissed. If they're not getting killed or shot, they're getting rejected even by the aliens. Not a good look, show.

I would say the last scene was a "nice shout-out to Close Encounters" as well, except for the fact that I wouldn't want to insult Close Encounters by comparing it to this show. Now I will say that it may have been a cheap take-off on the Close Encounters scene.

Edited by Make It So, Aug 8, 2011 @ 8:16 AM.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 8:42 AM

I was so confused when they kept talking about the skitters coming. I thought the skitters were the ones that look like walking octopuses, and the mechs were the giant robot/praying mantis looking things made of metal? Weren't the mechs the ones that invaded the school?

Anyway, did not see that coming (and by "that") I mean, Tom going with the aliens. I guess he didn't really have a choice.

On a shallow note there's 3 things that could make every episode an A+ (for me).
1 - Dai shirtless and high
2 - Tom quoting/reenacting historical speeches
3 - Pope's rants/soliloquy's about anything/everything (including food)

Works for me.

The mech bullets were kind of disappointing. After the demo I was expecting them to drop a mech with just one or two rounds.

Word.

The second half of the second half felt like I was watching highlights from a much longer show, it felt jumpy and like I was missing pieces?

I need to re-watch to see what I missed. So basically, 2nd Mass was the only unit left, then three of the four groups at the base of the alien structure in Boston were wiped out, and only Weaver, Pope, and the other dude survived an attack and Tom was able to find them?

I love Pope.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

The fact that they have already (on more than one occasion) blown mechs up with well-placed bombs, made the collective wasting of pretty much their entire arsenal of Mech-bullets to down one Mech seem quite counter-productive. Had it not been for the Extreme Plot Contrivance of Uncle Scotty's Miracle Signal Disruption that sent all those Mechs running with their tails between their legs, they all would've been so much toast.

Edited by Make It So, Aug 8, 2011 @ 8:50 AM.