19-11: 2011.08.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

189 replies to this topic

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

And so concludes the most awful season of the Bachelor/ette ever. I popped in here and there, but mostly popped out. I think Assley may have killed any further interest I'll ever have in this show. I bet the producers are just as disappointed as the rest of us that it wasn't Emily. What's next? Jake again? Brad for a third time?

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

As for Bentley, Ashley should sue the show for damages from his physical assault of her. (edit) She may have technically been a 'consenting' party to it, but it's dubious consent under false pretenses. She does have a duty to protect herself, but THE PRODUCERS KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING, so they should have stopped it, showed her the tapes, then let her consent or not consent.

A very interesting point, dearalanrickman. I'm amused to think it almost calls for an intervention by ABC's own What Would You Do? crew. Dueling camera teams, grappling for the best set-ups! John Quinones/Chris Harrison smack-down! Ashley melting down completely in the face of too damn many men to please at once, on nationwide TV! (Quick: get that girl a stylist, and an even more serious shade of brunette!)

But should all bad conduct be litigated? Yes, this is an extreme case, on the one hand. What the producers knew and when they knew it, became what everyone else in America knew, before we saw Ashley come to know it. But what's extreme is more the embarrassment than either the producers' misconduct or the heroine's distress. Ashley in fact got clued in, carried on, traveled the world, fell in love, got engaged, even almost finished dental school, weeks before we were privy to a thing.

By saying that, I'm putting forth two mitigating arguments I'm not in love with, that is, statute of limitations and, no harm no foul. So, more to the point: are the producers expected to act in loco parentis? (Even to protect una bachelloretta loca?) Because Bentley is a heel, do their actions become actionable? Lots of people, and not just men on the make, say one thing and do another. Ashley herself is anything but pristine in this regard. One might as well argue that Ben has a case against both Ashley and the producers. Ben, and every other end-of-game, franchise reject. Ben, and Ashley before him, with Brad. Ben, and every other man or woman who ever got led on.

No one has that coming to them, but that sounds like one Prohibition-in-the-making that's never going to stick.

And by the way, Ashley, I tease because I identify. Where the camera adds ten pounds to most people, it added ten twitches to you: as I feel sure it would to me. Your insecurities are exactly what most romantic comedies don't have either the insight, the know-how or the heart to depict: the story of a young woman with the brains and spunk to put her head down and blinkers on to make something of herself beyond her past, but who emerges in her mid-20's to discover all she didn't learn about the world and adult life, along the way.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 1:19 PM

I canít help always thinking of Ashley as an animated Disney character.

In my mind sheís always a mouse in the Disney cartoon movie. A cute little mouse with a teeny tiny nose and mouth and little tiny voice. Not a mouse like Minnie Mouse. Or maybe a little hedgehog. Cute and tiny.

IrishDC

IrishDC

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

Now we are finished with Ashley's season, we better hope it will be much better next time there is a new bachelorette/bachelor season. I think Ashley, Brad, Deanna, Jake (the most recent ones) really hurt the Bachelor/Bachelorette's legacy. Ashley's season was terrible. It really hurt a lot so they better find someone who will help to rebound.

I have heard some rumors going on with the next Bachelor. It won't be Ryan so he's out. Ames is the most popular choice, but I don't see him as the next Bachelor, because the producer, Mike Fleiss (?) is well-known for drama and twist. I don't know if Ames is up for drama. I worry it will hurt his reputation as well as his career. I think Ames is better off not becoming the next Bachelor. I have noticed that many great guys who has a great potential to become the next Bachelor does not have any interest in it. It's kind of sad.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

I have heard some rumors going on with the next Bachelor. It won't be Ryan so he's out. Ames is the most popular choice, but I don't see him as the next Bachelor, because the producer, Mike Fleiss (?) is well-known for drama and twist. I don't know if Ames is up for drama. I worry it will hurt his reputation as well as his career. I think Ames is better off not becoming the next Bachelor. I have noticed that many great guys who has a great potential to become the next Bachelor does not have any interest in it. It's kind of sad.

I think Ames would jump at the chance, if offered. The guy did sign up for this and then immediately sign up for BP right after (and enter into what was likely a showmance, since rumor has it that's over already). I think he's got just as much of the fameho gene as the average Bachelor/ette castmember. I mean, not Jake/Vienna levels of it, but he clearly has it.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 3:57 PM

I think Ames would jump at the chance, if offered. The guy did sign up for this and then immediately sign up for BP right after Ö. I think he's got just as much of the fameho gene as the average Bachelor/ette castmember. I mean, not Jake/Vienna levels of it, but he clearly has it.

Yes, I agree. Iím not on the St. Ames love train, but, on the other hand, I donít hate him either.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

I don't think Ames is a saint, I just find him amusing in a light, affable way. He's such a different guy, he'd be such an unusual Bachelor. I just want to see it happen.

dearalanrickman

dearalanrickman

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:22 AM

But should all bad conduct be litigated? Yes, this is an extreme case, on the one hand. What the producers knew and when they knew it, became what everyone else in America knew, before we saw Ashley come to know it. But what's extreme is more the embarrassment than either the producers' misconduct or the heroine's distress. Ashley in fact got clued in, carried on, traveled the world, fell in love, got engaged, even almost finished dental school, weeks before we were privy to a thing.

By saying that, I'm putting forth two mitigating arguments I'm not in love with, that is, statute of limitations and, no harm no foul. So, more to the point: are the producers expected to act in loco parentis? (Even to protect una bachelloretta loca?) Because Bentley is a heel, do their actions become actionable? Lots of people, and not just men on the make, say one thing and do another. Ashley herself is anything but pristine in this regard. One might as well argue that Ben has a case against both Ashley and the producers. Ben, and every other end-of-game, franchise reject. Ben, and Ashley before him, with Brad. Ben, and every other man or woman who ever got led on.

Sue for a broken heart? No, never. Sue for allowing Bentley to touch her while knowing his true motives, and for broadcasting the non-consensual (dubious consent, at least) hook-up? Yes. Ashley said that she saw Bentley's solo confessionals for the first time when they aired on tv, along with everyone else and it was devastating. Hearing him refer to her as an 'ugly duckling' and saying he 'might hook up with her...but that's it" was especially hurtful.

I would imagine that their contracts provide for indemnification from all sorts of misbehavior that might be actionable away from the show, but no contract can take away a person's right to not be assaulted. Any of the guys could be there for the 'wrong reasons' and take advantage of her--that she knows--what's different here is they showed Bentley saying "I'm going to turn her on a little bit" so there was no doubt the producers knew what he was going to do.

I'm not saying she could sue because he led her on with the inane "dot dot dot" nonsense, when he knew it was over--again, she could expect that. If the tabloids are true, Ashley regretted 'having sex' with Bentley. That's where the issue is volatile--watching him in her hotel room with her all over him, knowing he was pretending to be into her--disgusting, it's molestation.

IrishDC

IrishDC

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 6:55 PM

Sue for a broken heart? No, never. Sue for allowing Bentley to touch her while knowing his true motives, and for broadcasting the non-consensual (dubious consent, at least) hook-up? Yes. Ashley said that she saw Bentley's solo confessionals for the first time when they aired on tv, along with everyone else and it was devastating. Hearing him refer to her as an 'ugly duckling' and saying he 'might hook up with her...but that's it" was especially hurtful.

I would imagine that their contracts provide for indemnification from all sorts of misbehavior that might be actionable away from the show, but no contract can take away a person's right to not be assaulted. Any of the guys could be there for the 'wrong reasons' and take advantage of her--that she knows--what's different here is they showed Bentley saying "I'm going to turn her on a little bit" so there was no doubt the producers knew what he was going to do.

I'm not saying she could sue because he led her on with the inane "dot dot dot" nonsense, when he knew it was over--again, she could expect that. If the tabloids are true, Ashley regretted 'having sex' with Bentley. That's where the issue is volatile--watching him in her hotel room with her all over him, knowing he was pretending to be into her--disgusting, it's molestation.

I am afraid to disagree with you. Ashley can't sue Bentley on any grounds. Why? We all know that Ashley couldn't stop thinking about Bentley. Prior to Hong Kong, apparently the ABC tried to tell her to forget Bentley and moved on with the guys she had in Hong Kong, but Ashley told the producers to get Bentley come over and discuss over "dot..dot..dot.." feelings. This tells me that Bentley didn't ask for a trip to Hong Kong to play around Ashley's mind. Given that Ashley got Bentley in Hong Kong, she knew the risks involved, either Bentley wanted another chance or faced a rejection for the final time. If Ashley didn't want Bentley to come and Bentley wanted to come and deceive her then Ashley has a case, but looking at the situation we saw, Ashley has no case against Bentley. This is like you are going to a car dealership to buy a car then realize you get ripped off by the dealer. At the beginning, you should know what's happening even if it's good or bad. The law does not require the dealer to tell you what's on their mind (try to rip you off by not telling you the car is actually worth less than $10k asking price). If the dealer come to your house to coax you to buy a car that turns out to be ripped off then you got the case. They deceived you and you didn't initiative in the first place. Same thing to the Ashley/Bentley situation. Ashley asked for it so she lost. Bentley walks. To be honest with you, Ashley made a big foolish of herself. She looked really dumb by talking about Bentley that turned out he was not interested in her at all and she got pissed. She should have known better, but that's another story.

I think Ames would jump at the chance, if offered. The guy did sign up for this and then immediately sign up for BP right after (and enter into what was likely a showmance, since rumor has it that's over already). I think he's got just as much of the fameho gene as the average Bachelor/ette castmember. I mean, not Jake/Vienna levels of it, but he clearly has it.

I think Ames would go for it, but I don't know if ABC is on the same page. How will Ames help ABC to bring more ratings? How will he find great women without drama? Every season we saw, there's always drama and upset and angry. I can see past Bachelors handle that situation, but Ames? He's too good for that. If he is chosen, i hope Ames' season will be similar to the first season, Alex who graduated from Harvard. Alex's season was one of the best Bachelor season I ever seen. Fewer drama than now, great women and classy. In the last few years, I have seen getting worse. Ratings play the big role if ABC wants to find the next Bachelor. It's like they have a choice either Ames or bring back Jake who broke up with Vienna for the second time. I think ABC will take Jake, because of high ratings. Jake will bring a lot of drama and that's what ABC needs.

dearalanrickman

dearalanrickman

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:50 AM

I am afraid to disagree with you. Ashley can't sue Bentley on any grounds. Why? We all know that Ashley couldn't stop thinking about Bentley. Prior to Hong Kong, apparently the ABC tried to tell her to forget Bentley and moved on with the guys she had in Hong Kong, but Ashley told the producers to get Bentley come over and discuss over "dot..dot..dot.." feelings. This tells me that Bentley didn't ask for a trip to Hong Kong to play around Ashley's mind. Given that Ashley got Bentley in Hong Kong, she knew the risks involved, either Bentley wanted another chance or faced a rejection for the final time. If Ashley didn't want Bentley to come and Bentley wanted to come and deceive her then Ashley has a case, but looking at the situation we saw, Ashley has no case against Bentley. This is like you are going to a car dealership to buy a car then realize you get ripped off by the dealer. At the beginning, you should know what's happening even if it's good or bad. The law does not require the dealer to tell you what's on their mind (try to rip you off by not telling you the car is actually worth less than $10k asking price). If the dealer come to your house to coax you to buy a car that turns out to be ripped off then you got the case. They deceived you and you didn't initiative in the first place. Same thing to the Ashley/Bentley situation. Ashley asked for it so she lost. Bentley walks. To be honest with you, Ashley made a big foolish of herself. She looked really dumb by talking about Bentley that turned out he was not interested in her at all and she got pissed. She should have known better, but that's another story.

I agree with all of what you said, but make the distinction between crime and fraud. Though the producers may have warned her about Bentley, all they would have had to do is show her one tape of him saying "she's not my type, she's an ugly duckling, etc" and she would not have consented to his touching her.