There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane (HBO)

• Please log in to reply

315 replies to this topic

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

IMHO, Diane didn't ask where they were. She asked the clerk if they sold vodka. And that's why the clerk didn't want to talk. Didn't want to harm her or implicate her any further.

If so, Diane would have already had to be very drunk. As a lifelong resident of New York State, she would know that gas stations don't sell vodka, so for her to ask the clerk for that she would have had to be out of her mind. I totally agree that it's strange than no one interviewed the clerk, though.

Giadana

Giadana

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

IMHO, Diane didn't ask where they were. She asked the clerk if they sold vodka. And that's why the clerk didn't want to talk. Didn't want to harm her or implicate her any further.

How about beer? Do gas station quicky marts in NY sell beer? She does look like she went in & circled around the back looking for something...possibly beer in the fridge cases?

jamgram300

jamgram300

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Beer is sold in supermarkets and mini-marts in NY. In fact, it used to be unavailable until noon on Sundays, but within the past few years, I believe the law has changed and it is now allowed after 8am on Sunday mornings. If recollection serves me right, this accident was on a Sunday. Could be possible that she was unclear as to whether beer was available or not.

Such a sad, sad story.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

As a lifelong resident of New York State, she would know that gas stations don't sell vodka, so for her to ask the clerk for that she would have had to be out of her mind.

Very true. But she was already looped by the time she went into that store, and may not have forgotten that.

What has always struck me strange about the timeline.. Danny went straight home that morning with the dog, Diane was taking the kids to McDonald's and then heading home. She should have been no more than an hour or 90 minutes behind Danny. Why was there no concern about her being so late? She had a van full of kids. She could have broken down on the road or had a flat, yet no one tried to call her.

I think the plan was that she would drop off the nieces at their house and pick up her own car, then go shopping. According to the article in New York Magazine, Diane was a shop-a-holic and a compulsive one as well; she once went grocery shopping and came home with a new wide-screen TV and no groceries. I got the impression that when Diane went shopping, you never knew when you would see her again. So I could see why Danny wasn't worried.

Edited by Sarcastico, May 17, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.

config

config

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

It looked to me in the video as though there were a couple of six packs of bottled beer on the counter in the store though it was Sunday so I don't think they could sell until noon.

Pages and pages ago, I wondered about the Chicken Selects story and I'm just not getting where that story came from. I believe it began with Ruskin because it was not in the film and in the police report there is no mention of a manager interacting with Diane. The cashier said she was a pleasant customer, yet somehow we're to believe there was a confrontation in which Diane was able to talk the manager into preparing the meal. I get the idea that if she looked off in any way and they did not report it or act on it they feared a lawsuit but why then would they tell Ruskin about this confrontation? And, after the Selects story was publicized, did the police not go back to McD's and say WTF? Once again, we have people involved (the clerk and McD's workers) who were unwilling to speak to the police but opened right up to Ruskin? Why?

Adding to the oddness is the idea that instead of throwing out tooth problems or moving leg lumps, why didn't they just say she had a bad reaction to the food at McD's and that was why she was vomiting?

The autopsy showed no health problems. When they are first conducted, fluids and tissues are checked for medical conditions that could have contributed to the death of the individual. Tox screens are sent out and take weeks for results. If there was a medical contributor to her death, it would have been picked up in the initial testing of the specimens.

The crime scene investigators interviewed in the film (I think, I may have to watch it again!) viewed DVD footage of Diane's visit to McD's, yet they didn't say she looked intoxicated or that anything was amiss. Wouldn't they have mentioned if they observed Diane in a confrontation with a manager?

I, too, was tempted to visit that rest area to see their product selection because it was driving me nuts. I made a habit of checking every 7-11, gas station, convenience type store I went into after watching the film and everyone had either the cardboard thing with packets of pills stapled to it or boxes of them right behind the counter. It just doesn't make sense.

Jackie Hance's refusal to speak with the police was FIVE days after the accident. The police report clearly states that they did not want to ask her any questions, they just wanted to give her information, yet she refused to come out. I understand that she was grieving but people who lose loved ones in accidents or crimes are usually chomping at the bit looking for ever morsel of information, so I find that very strange.

That I was obsessed with this film is an understatement. Nice to see others were just as hooked. We could all probably collaborate on a book on the subject at this point.

tanuki

tanuki

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

The theory that seems most plausible to me that Diane was looking in the refrigerator in the back for juice in a bottle so she could pour out some of it and top it back off with vodka to conceal her drinking from the kids. A glance at what was available on the shelves might have shown her that the bottles didn't have the right type of opening to make it easy to add liquid back without using a funnel. Not seeing what she needed she turned around and left.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

The theory that seems most plausible to me that Diane was looking in the refrigerator in the back for juice in a bottle so she could pour out some of it and top it back off with vodka to conceal her drinking from the kids. A glance at what was available on the shelves might have shown her that the bottles didn't have the right type of opening to make it easy to add liquid back without using a funnel. Not seeing what she needed she turned around and left.

You probably don't have much experience with "secret" drinkers, do you, tanuki? :) Let me assure you that I've never seen a bottle (or can, or other beverage container) that you can't add vodka to easily without using a funnel. Just sayin'.

kathe593

kathe593

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

After reading all of these posts, and watching the film, my opinion is that she had a blackout. You don't need to be a hardcore drinker to drink too much and blackout. I think she was toking and drinking to ease the pain in her tooth and without realizing passed the point of reason. Kept drinking and smoking and was completely out of her mind. Sad. I'm sure she was a good person. She made an error in judgement and all of this horrible destruction was the result. I hope she and her victims can rest in peace. I hope her husband and family can come to terms with this and find some peace as well.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Diane was a shop-a-holic and a compulsive one as well; she once went grocery shopping and came home with a new wide-screen TV and no groceries. I got the impression that when Diane went shopping, you never knew when you would see her again. So I could see why Danny wasn't worried.

Interesting. I wonder if her shopping was a cover for drinking binge? Going out, tying one one, sleeping it off in the car somewhere? Then buying a bunch of crap as a cover story?

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Or perhaps Aunt Diane was a blotto drunk, who got drunk and then bought a lot of crap? And then got blotto drunk, and killed people?

Why must it be more complicated than that?

I assume it is only a matter of time before the HBO Special on What Happened to Cousin James (the guy who blew away a bunch of folks seeing the Batman movie). Maybe he had a toothache, or a migraine, or whatever the hell Aunt Diane's family would prefer to tell us happened rather than the rationale explanation.

Screw Aunt Diane.

Edited by pennben, Jul 20, 2012 @ 9:41 PM.

ChelleStL

ChelleStL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

So many unanswered questions, but one continues to intrigue... Didn't Danny say he went to the campground on Thursday (a day before Diane and the kids), but evidence shows he didn't get there until Friday?

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I was clicking around this weekend reading about this case and write-ups from closer to the time of the accident. Apparently, the Schulers tried to float a theory *then* that Diane had gestational diabetes (even though that tends to go away after childbirth) and some sort of lump on her leg that could have caused the incident. I wonder when they abandoned these ideas in favor of the abscessed-tooth explanation.

bandcphilly1

bandcphilly1

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

So many unanswered questions, but one continues to intrigue... Didn't Danny say he went to the campground on Thursday (a day before Diane and the kids), but evidence shows he didn't get there until Friday?

Yep, that was one of theories of why Diane did what she did - that she may have found out he was having an affair. Left Thursday but didn't get to the campground until Friday so where did he stay overnight?

Apparently, the Schulers tried to float a theory *then* that Diane had gestational diabetes (even though that tends to go away after childbirth) and some sort of lump on her leg that could have caused the incident. I wonder when they abandoned these ideas in favor of the abscessed-tooth explanation.

My guess is that gestational diabetes and a lump weren't painful enough maladies to warrant drinking 10 shots of vodka, whereas an abcessed tooth might.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Does anybody remember the interview with Diane's high school friends. They all kept saying that they just lost touch with her, but all the while implying some big ugly noone was talking about. I guess they could have been referring to drinking, but I somehow didn't think so. I got the impression it was something about Danny. They all seemed a little tense when talking about him. It was almost like "Danny? He's a great guy. Not at all an abusive jerk. Nope not a controlling, manipulative asshole even a little bit!" I just thought it was odd. Every single person interviewed talked about what a great couple/family they were while implying that it was very, very bad behind closed doors. Did anybody else get that feeling?

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

A week or two ago, a man in Michigan killed his wife and children, then committed suicide by taking his car onto the wrong side of a freeway and drove the wrong way until he found a car that could not evade hIm. Headon collision that also killed the other driver.

Look for all the reasons and pills and drinks you want for Diane, but it comes down to a person who wants to kill herself and as many others as possible, for reasons we will never know. The car was just her weapon of choice.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

OMG. I never even thought that Dianne might be pulling a family suicide and drinking to give herself courage! Holly Fuck, that's evil. If she did this on purpose I have no words for how evil that is.

Damn I can be slow sometimes. It never even crossed my mind.

If it was suicide/murder that might explain why all their friends and family came across as so cagey in the documentary. I kept wondering why they were holding back, what they were protecting, what on earth they could say that would make Dianne look worse than she already did? The answer: it wasn't an accident. She killed them all on purpose.

Edited by fuzzybear, Aug 31, 2012 @ 9:27 PM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

It's absolutely inconceivable to 99.99% of us, but it happens horribly often. Why people feel they need to kill their children along with themselves is incomprehensible, and totally evil.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

JJJ, is that your take on what happened? If so, could you even hazard a guess as to what the trigger might have been?

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I have no idea -- it's just that every time I read about another of these parent-commits-suicide-and-kills-kids, I think of this tragic story. That the father last week chose to kill himself and an innocent driver by driving the wrong way on a freeway (after killing his family) just reminded ne again. Such senseless tragedy.

Who can ever know what is in the mind of someone so set on destruction.

Edited by jjj, Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

I just watched this HBO doc a few days ago and I then remembered that Oprah did an episode on this story a few years back and after reading the entire 18 pages here, I think Oprah should have had many of you as featured guests to discuss and debate this topic on her show back then.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

And, a new incomprehensible story of a mother trying to use her fast car to commit suicide and kill her children by crashIng. This one did not succeed:

http://articles.orla...patrol-turnpike

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Look for all the reasons and pills and drinks you want for Diane, but it comes down to a person who wants to kill herself and as many others as possible, for reasons we will never know. The car was just her weapon of choice.

Where did this idea come from? I saw nothing in this movie nor any later explanations that this involved a suicide and a wish to kill as many others as possible.

Angora Deb

Angora Deb

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

I guess murder-suicide is possible, but I doubt probable. Wouldn't her face have been tear-stained from crying?

What puzzles and spooks me is the absence of audio or video footage of Diane in this documentary. Was it too unflattering? Was there none available? Did she have an accent like Danny's? She would be less of a cipher if we could hear her voice.

valdawn

valdawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

Just fyi, the Hances will be on Rock Center with Brian Williams this Friday for their first public interview.

Edited by valdawn, Apr 15, 2013 @ 1:19 AM.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:25 AM

This was such a sad story.
I found it somewhat puzzling in a very depressing way that they could not accept the autopsy results. No one can know what's going on in someone else's head.
I fear for Brian but at least his aunt had the common sense to know he needed therapy.
From the firsts posts when this originally aired on HBO, Danny supposedly was suing people. Is that still active?

Edited by kingofpoppa, Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:46 AM.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

I feel about Dianne Schuler the same way feel about Nancy Lanza: Dig their sorry carcasses up and put them on trial. Can't help it, that's how I feel.

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

Watched again last night on CNN Presents - still just as baffling as the first three times. Even a secret drinker - in a blackout - would smell like vodka - and likely slur her words - is the clerk afraid of liability for not calling the police and reporting her? Just makes NO sense that the clerk is ALLOWED to not talk to authorities.
What about husband? Did he get married to a new wife (yet)?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

It think it's as simple as drunks know how to hold and hide their liquor. I think the husband knew damn well that she was a closet drinker. Maybe not as MANY drinks as ended up being in her system, but he definitely knew. And how closeted was it? They all seemed to know about the pot smoking. I'm guessing that they knew about the alcohol too, but maybe didn't know how STRONG her drinks were. To me the only thing making it a mystery is the family's denial. They seem really naive and guilty. And in the husband's case? Batshit crazy creepy.

My personal knowledge is that my father was a heavy drinker. He could polish off a whiskey bottle, not really look all that drunk, and get up for work the next day with NO problem. I have also had a tooth abscess, and that hurts like a muther. I think Diane just drank more that day, and at that TIME of day, because of pain. And her addiction. The family seem to be the only ones who don't want to know that.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

They all seemed to know about the pot smoking.

The husband sounded so stupid. He admits that Diane smoked pot on occasion. But then stated emphatically that there was no way she smoked that weekend. Well, how did THC end up in her system dipshit?

I had to laugh at the sister outside the office smoking a cigarette and stating "nobody in my family knows I smoke...". The irony and cluelessness of that statement boggles my mind. She herself has a "secret addiction" yet she refuses to believe that Diane did as well?

When those two idiots were trying to say that Diane's tooth ache was so bad she could have mistakenly took up a vodka bottle thinking it was water, I wanted someone to say, even if that were true...vodka tastes NOTHING like water. There is nothing to explain her downing the equivalent of 10 shots of vodka in that short amount of time other than she's an alcoholic who thought nothing of the safety of the children in her care or of the general public.

Denial doesn't even begin to describe what those two people are in. But you know what, its not surprising. They KNEW she was self-medicating with booze and weed for months, if not years, and I believe they feel guilty that they looked the other way. And that's understandable. What I don't get is how the husband could turn around and sue his brother-in-law (who lost all his children in this tragedy btw) for having a faulty car or whatever the excuse was. And I believe he also sued the victims' families of the other car, saying THEY were driving recklessly. The unmitigated gall.

A part of me thinks it really was an accident and she probably did blackout (though I feel funny using the term "accident" in these cases, because its a deliberate action to get behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated), but another part of me thinks she was suicidal or had some kind of psychotic break.

What about husband? Did he get married to a new wife (yet)?

I don't know. But my heart hurts for Bryan. The sister said that Daniel never wanted children. He only agreed to have kids with Diane, with the understanding that she would basically be doing all the work. I fear Daniel is resentful and feels "stuck" with Bryan. That, combined with the way she says he acts when Bryan exhibits any emotion about what happened, and how she had to fight just to get Bryan into therapy...I just don't see that kid having a decent childhood. Its so sad.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 15, 2013 @ 4:51 PM.

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

THC stays in the system longer than booze - she could have smoked pot three days ago and it would still be there.

A part of me thinks it really was an accident and she probably did blackout (though I feel funny using the term "accident" in these cases, because its a deliberate action to get behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated),

I think she WAS drinking the night before - a lot - and in the morning (which was very early morning) she was STILL drunk - I think she may have had what used to be called by heavy drinkers, an "eye opener" to keep from feeling the hangover while driving home. I think the amount she injested that morning was enough to cause the black-out - hence wandering in and out of the store at the gas station - maybe to use a bathroom that she couldn't find - and the rest is the sad ending - I think the tooth story is just to muddy the waters - if I had continued pain from a tooth issue two weeks old - the LAST place I would go was to a campground far away from pain relief with my dentist miles away.