9-6: "12 Chefs Compete" 2011.08.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

From Zap2it:

The remaining 12 contestants compete in an intense challenge and face elimination.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

So Elise’s “leadership” consisted of her standing, with her hands literally behind her back, barking out orders. I really wished that Ramsey would have called her on that, or when she jumped on Carrie’s back about the rice. No Elise, just because you’re a loudmouth and curse a lot doesn’t mean you get to pretend to be Ramsey and parrot whatever he yells. I can’t stand her, and I really am buying into the conspiracy of a producer plant, because she has GOT to be it!

I was disappointed to see Gina leave last week, I thought it would have been Elise finally, and same thing happened to me this week too.

In other news, I wonder how many times the men fucked up the raw snapper before they were actually sent out of the kitchen. If it was only 3 times, then I think Ramsey was really gunning to the let the Red team win tonight. And I’m sad Monterray went home, but only because Jonathon now feels vindicated in his Monty-bashing. Monterray wasn’t the best chef in the kitchen, but he tried, and helped his teammates. Jonathon was just standing in the background wringing his hands offering faux help, and no one was foolish enough to take him up on that. Jon had been one of my favorites – not for the finale, but something like top 6 – but he just dropped in my book with tonight’s ranting and raving. Now, as far as I’m concerned, he can follow Elise’s loud mouth on outta here.

And, WTF was up with Elizabeth’s comprehension fail tonight with the challenge? Putting bacon on the seafood dish because it was pork? Never even mentioning the word Hawaii? I can excuse her for trying to figure out if surf and turf was acceptable, because that’s the first thing the men wanted to try as well, but she was just so awkward about it! And yes she did sink the team, because the theme of the dishes was all wrong, and the bacon was on the scallops!

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

When Elise finally goes down, she had better go down big, because she is getting on everyone's last nerve. There better be knives involved, as far as I'm concerned. They can even be the most-fantastic-knives-ever-made-especially-for-Ramsey knives.

RavensGirl

RavensGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

I was really surprised that the challenge tonight did'nt come down to a last-minute tie on the third dish just like every other challenge ever won in HK. Was that a first for the show?

It seems like any challenge win involving alcohol is really a loss and a punishment as it always results in a hung over train wreck in the next dinner service.

If Natalie is watching this, she is crawling under her sofa right now in shame. (Or at least I would be if I were her.)

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

A 3-0 reward challenge! It's a miracle.

Is there any way Will doesn't win? We're 6 episodes in and IIRC he's won nearly every dish he's put up at the reward challenge and GR hasn't yelled at him once at service.

rkthespos

rkthespos

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Honest to god, where do they find these people? Supposedly, these are professional chefs - or at least cooks. How in the heck can they keep putting out RAW food?????

And broken record time - can't wait for makes-me-ill-eese to leave. Forever.

The elimination was pretty anti-climactic for me - pretty much figured it would be Monterrey. Although, whether through editing or realtime, Jonathon looked pretty useless.

Edited by rkthespos, Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:11 PM.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

So because one of the organizers is a pescatarian, the whole reunion is meat free? Huh? It's not like she financed the whole thing. Still, Elizabeth blew it big time with that one.

I'm glad Kevin Federline is still around. He amuses me for some reason.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

Felt bad for the Polynesian dancer who was called out for love handles :(

There is literally no one to root for on the Red Team. They're all despicable in some way.

So Elise’s “leadership” consisted of her standing, with her hands literally behind her back, barking out orders. I really wished that Ramsey would have called her on that, or when she jumped on Carrie’s back about the rice.

This was awful yet hilarious.

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

• Interests:Boston Legal, Angel, Buffy, Firefly, 24, Star Trek

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

Elise identified one of her weaknesses and I hope all the ladies jump on it: she doesn't like people in her personal space. You can shut down anything she's saying just by standing close enough to her. The other ladies should surround her and start barking at her, giving her a taste of her own medicine.

It's funny how GR gets furious about raw food (which happens every episode because he's always screaming for them to hurry up and insisting that every table be prepared together) but doesn't find that disaster of a cake to be outrage-worthy.

Monterray should have been given the boot last week. Paul was way over the top in his self-defense. I guess that's the way to do it. It doesn't matter what the contestants say so much as how mad they sound saying it.

I can understand overcooking something. You get distracted, turn your back for a minute and all of a sudden you've got a piece of charcoal. But undercooking? Do they not get a book with recipes in it? Do they not (theoretically anyhow) know how to cook a simple piece of fish? Shouldn't it be as simple as "turn burner to this temperature. Put fish in pan. Fry for x minutes. Flip over and fry for x minutes. Plate and serve!" It's too bad there's no handy little kitchen tool one could use to check the internal temperature of various foods.

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

I hope that there was a second dessert in reserve for the reunion guests because that cake looked like complete utter ass.

The blue team not being able to cook the menu that they created was highly pathetic.

Edited by InDueTime84, Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:45 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 12:20 AM

When they were meeting with the reunion committee, I swore I heard the one woman say "I'm a Presbyterian, I only eat fish."

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 1:08 AM

So Elise’s “leadership” consisted of her standing, with her hands literally behind her back, barking out orders. I really wished that Ramsey would have called her on that, or when she jumped on Carrie’s back about the rice. No Elise, just because you’re a loudmouth and curse a lot doesn’t mean you get to pretend to be Ramsey and parrot whatever he yells.

Man, that pissed me off. I am looking forward to her departure. Shut up Elise.

I kind of like Jamie on the Red team, but they're all pretty bad.

And since when does "Hawaiian" sound like "Asian?"

LeonineII

LeonineII

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 1:31 AM

Hawaiian doesn't sound like asian. One of Elizabeth's talking heads said 'I don't know hawaiian cuisine but I do know asian and that's close enough, right?' Then she promptly threw her team under the bus by pretending she heard asian, just like she pretended she didn't hear the specific question about meat being on the same plate as the fish.

And then she acted like losing wasn't her fault because everyone could still have cooked great....

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 2:37 AM

Why does the most obnoxious contestant on any realty show always have to say "I'm not here to make friends"? Shut up Elise, just. shut. up.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 3:18 AM

pescatarian

Damn, I thought she was saying Presbyterian.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 7:17 AM

So because one of the organizers is a pescatarian, the whole reunion is meat free? Huh? It's not like she financed the whole thing. Still, Elizabeth blew it big time with that one.

No, the whole reunion didn't have to be meat free, after all pork was one of the desired dishes. However a non-meat option was required. The red team didn't offer that since they used bacon in the sauce covering the seafood.

Elizabeth truly flailed in terms of delivering the message of what was desired. But the red team also executed very poorly - their dishes lost on their own merits, not just because they weren't Hawaiian.

Agreed with a reward that involves heavy drinking is usually punishment in disguise. Although just because alcohol is served doesn't mean you have to get ripped and hung over the next day. For the duration of the show you'd think these people could drink in moderation.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

There is literally no one to root for on the Red Team. They're all despicable in some way.

Jamie is the only one I can root for on that team. She seems competent enough, and most of her "bad" moments have come in direct opposition to Elise. She gets a lot of leeway in that context.

I've given up on expecting Elise to leave soon. I'm assuming she will make the individual stage, because there aren't enough good chefs on the Red Team to beat her out. Krupa and Carrie seem weak, Jennifer runs hot and cold, Elizabeth will make a major mistake at some point...3 of those 4 will surely leave before Elise under Gordon's "send home whomever I want to" system.

Surprised to see Paul have a hiccup, but I expect him to outlast Tommy and Jonathan to the individual stage. I'll be shocked if one of Paul, Will, and Natalie don't win. It is a man's turn to win, no?

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 8:08 AM

Agreed with a reward that involves heavy drinking is usually punishment in disguise. Although just because alcohol is served doesn't mean you have to get ripped and hung over the next day. For the duration of the show you'd think these people could drink in moderation.

I suspect that this is another one of Gordon's tests. Autumn a few seasons ago had to be told to stop guzzling champagne (I think) like it was water and you could tell after that that she wasn't going to make it to the end.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

It doesn't make any sense to me that the men have won every challenge but one, yet they consistently struggle with dinner service. Both red and blue teams are made up of so-called professionals who work in the food service industry, so why/how do they come to a grinding halt when preparing food for dinner patrons? Don't they do that every day?

One other thing: If I were grr, how could I trust people who can't cook food properly (generally it's RAW) to whip up some incredible, cooked food under pressure for a challenge? One of the reunion committee members mentioned her scallop was undercooked. Stands to reason! They must go through an enormous amount of wasted food--raw sea bass and chicken and rubbery scallops.

milner

milner

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:27 AM

I am always surprised at how many hands/fingers touch the food when it comes up to the pass, testing for doneness etc. Is this typical of all restaurants?? Also I was grossed out by the sweat dripping off what's her name into the food.

dietcokeisgood

dietcokeisgood

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

For some reason, I think the blue team was sabotaged with the fish thing. It was probably frozen while the red team had fresh and thawed fish. It would undoubtably take longer to cook a frozen fish. Maybe I'm too much of a conspiracy theorist.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:33 AM

When they were meeting with the reunion committee, I swore I heard the one woman say "I'm a Presbyterian, I only eat fish."

LOL. So did I. I was like, "Presbyterians don't eat meat?"

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

I don't agree with Monty being sent home. It really should have been Jonathan because he has a habit of taking low risk jobs in an attempt to fly under the radar. Plus he has been allowed to mouth off more than he should. I was certain Gordon was going to send him home after calling him to the carpet at the elimination meeting. But he has to know his days on Hell's Kitchen are numbered.

Both red and blue teams are made up of so-called professionals who work in the food service industry, so why/how do they come to a grinding halt when preparing food for dinner patrons? Don't they do that every day?

I wonder about that too. They are probably all very good cooks under normal conditions. I suspect the pressure to perform and compete against each other must make them do things they normally wouldn't do.

I've given up on expecting Elise to leave soon. I'm assuming she will make the individual stage, because there aren't enough good chefs on the Red Team to beat her out.

I've given up on Elise leaving soon too - but for different reasons. There is a growing trend in reality TV where the angry black chick is kept around because it makes for good drama. Give the people what they want. From Omarosa to New York to Nene and Star Jones, the ABC has become a reliable go-to formula to boost ratings and keep things from getting dull.

Edited by getawayjordan, Aug 3, 2011 @ 1:58 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

There are a few things I wonder about on this show. First, is risotto typically an appetizer in a nice restaurant? I see a rice dish as more of a side dish to go with the main course, and would never in a million years be satisfied with a rice appetizer. Ditto with "lobster spaghetti" which also sounds kind of vile. It looks like basic spaghetti with tomato sauce, with a bit of lobster mixed in. To me, red sauce would overpower the delicate flavor of lobster. If those were the only appetizer options on a menu, I would skip that course.

The other thing is - in a "fine dining" restaurant, if my appetizer or entree is read TWO MINUTES before my date's dish is ready, is that a catastrophe requiring that both dishes are thrown out and new ones started? If fish is "RAW!!!" do you throw it out and start over rather than cook it another minute or two?

LOL. So did I. I was like, "Presbyterians don't eat meat?"

I even had a vision of that little "Christian fish" bumper sticker I see all the time, wondering if there was a connection.

Edited by backformore, Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:54 AM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

I don't agree with Monty being sent home. It really should have been Jonathan because he has a habit of taking low risk jobs in an attempt to fly under the radar.

I don't think the cheftestants choose their stations, otherwise we'd always see people scrambling to grab the low-risk ones (plus I'm pretty sure at least once I've heard the overdub say "...has been assigned the Fish Station..."). So if Jonathan is lucking out there, I can't hold that against him; his time will come. I'm sure they rotate them through so that all of the later contestants have been forced to do the standard Risotto/Beef Wellington/Fish (RAW!) stations at least once.

Speaking of, I guess I don't understand the huge deal with RAW! fish. Just throw some wasabi and ginger on the side and call it sushi. ;-)

Seriously, though, why throw out RAW! fish? It's almost always edible; put it in a cooler and send it to a food bank or similar. I hate to see GRR throw perfectly edible food in the trash when so many go hungry.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 11:49 AM

I am always surprised at how many hands/fingers touch the food when it comes up to the pass, testing for doneness etc. Is this typical of all restaurants

Seriously...it's >channelling GR< DISGUSTING!

If that's what restaurants do IRL, I'm not playing anymore.

FemaleViewer

FemaleViewer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 12:07 PM

No, the whole reunion didn't have to be meat free, after all pork was one of the desired dishes. However a non-meat option was required. The red team didn't offer that since they used bacon in the sauce covering the seafood.

I could have sworn that the "pescatarian" was among those who praised Monty's pork dish, saying it was the perfect bite.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 12:28 PM

Pork is the fish of the earth...

la llorona

la llorona

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

Ha, count me in as one who thought the organizer said "Presbyterian" at first, before I realized she said "pescatarian". I wonder if they were testing to see if the cheftestants were even familiar with what it meant. It's not a term I hear very often myself and I live in a very "organic hippie" sort of town.

I liked Jonathon a lot until last night. He just came off as a huge dick. It was like he pounced on the first person he ran into back there and that was Monterrey. I don't think Monterray was stellar either, but I liked his personality and I was glad to see him throw it right back in Jon's face.

Elizabeth-- what the hell?? Is she on Xanax? Stoned? ADD?

Elise. Ugh. She's one of those who goes around with a chip on her shoulder until someone knocks it off in a MAJOR way. Agree with others who said they should just gang up and treat her like shit. It's not my style really-- but damn, she's proven herself unworthy of anyone's respect.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

I could have sworn that the "pescatarian" was among those who praised Monty's pork dish, saying it was the perfect bite.

It was the other woman who was sitting next to Gordon that said that.

I wonder if they were testing to see if the cheftestants were even familiar with what it meant.

I doubt it because they immediately explained it.