S9 - Bert Keeter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

157 replies to this topic

Russler1

Russler1

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 9:05 AM

My first post! I registered here just to say how much I loved and admired Bert's work during this hugely disappointing season. I'm shocked that TG didn't care for his style because IMO, he's the ONLY designer that actually HAD any style and point of view. I think this season was so sad, and I barely could watch after Bert went home.

'sigh'

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

• Interests:Highlights of the week with my husband:<br />Fri afternoon: taco day with margaritas and Breaking Bad DVD.<br />Sun afternoon: brunch with the NY times crossword puzzle followed by the farmer's market.<br /><br />Mon afternoon: pizza in bed with The Soup.<br /><br />Without the husband, my loves include gardening; woodworking, walking the bulldog; and reading TWOP.

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:27 AM

You are not the only one. I also think that Bert sent some of the best looks this season down the runway and his decoy collection was so far above Anya and Josh it is incredible. I actually loved the look he was aufed for and when you compare that gown to Anya's looks that she wasn't aufed for-- that is when you can clearly see what a travesty this season really was.

One of the reasons why I refused to watch the Follow-up to the Runway show with Tim is because I heard that Tim said something negative about Bert while kissing Anya's butt. That would have just been the icing on the shit-cake that was Project Runway: Anya the Magnificent Favors Us With Her Presence.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

You are not the only one. I also think that Bert sent some of the best looks this season down the runway and his decoy collection was so far above Anya and Josh it is incredible.

Completely disagree. I thought his was either boring, awful or boring/awful.

One of the reasons why I refused to watch the Follow-up to the Runway show with Tim is because I heard that Tim said something negative about Bert while kissing Anya's butt.

I have no problem with that, mostly because Tim's taste usually matched my own. Just like Tim I didn't like Kenley, Zulema, Emilio and Bert either.

Edited by quangtran, Nov 6, 2011 @ 5:25 PM.

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

I also think that Bert sent some of the best looks this season down the runway and his decoy collection was so far above Anya and Josh it is incredible.

Cosigned on the final collection. While it was certainly not groundbreaking, at least it was skillfully made and conveyed exactly who he was as a designer. Compared to the dilettantist, creatively barren, poorly made dresses of the winner and the vomit-inducing aesthetic of the runner-up, his collection certainly stands up to scrutiny.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

I thought Tim's comment about Bert's collection was odd. What was the point of it? Bert was already out of contention for the final prize, so why throw criticism on top of that? I couldn't tell if that was a producer-scripted line -- since Bert's elimination was a fairly unpopular decision, like they were trying to justify it -- or if it was Tim's real opinion, since he has said Bert is his least favorite designer.

Having said that... if I'm honest, Bert's collection was good and there were a few pieces I coveted, but it didn't exactly set me on fire. To me it seemed as if he was advertising himself to potential employers, which is a move I applaud him for, but there wasn't really a "showstopper" moment for me. Whatever criticisms I have of the final four, I can think of one "ooooh" moment in each of their collections (albeit Josh's green shorts made me go "ooooh" in all the wrong ways).

Despite these issues, I wish the final three had come down to Bert, Laura and Viktor. While there are issues with all three of them (Bert's mentioned above, Laura's wheels coming off the bus during the competition, Viktor's downfall with the chiffon), I think it could have been awesome if they were forced to step it up against each other in a clean fight.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

TLo had an illuminating comment when they did their review of his decoy collection; they said that these are clothes you show buyers, not clothes you send down the runway. A runway show is about generating buzz and excitement, and making a splash. They usually cost a lot of money to produce, so you want to get a big bang for your buck. There's nothing wrong with Bert's clothes, but they don't accomplish that.

Anyway, we've seen all along that Bert is still a little stuck in the past -- see all his references to the stylists. If he really wants to get back in the business, he needs to work on that.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:37 PM

Maybe that's what Bert wanted to do--make a collection to show buyers. There probably were some watching at Fashion Week. I also wonder if he kept the design uncomplicated in order to show some design houses that he could fit in with their aesthetic.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

I thought his was either boring, awful or boring/awful.

His collection was made really well though, everything was made impeccably, comparing it to Josh (he tries, but there is so much disconnect and taste problem, that horrible fabric), and Anya (there's no designing when after cutting holes into beautiful fabrics and call it a "design").

So while I agree it was boring, but I think very sophisticated, he even admits he likes his pieces timeless (but I think he should have tried for more memorable and timeless at the same time).