S9 - Anya Ayoung-Chee

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

229 replies to this topic

Rubygal

Rubygal

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 3:12 PM

I have a few ideas about Anya being "nice" that I don't think have been addressed. She was very lucky in all of the Group challenges not to have been in any groups with a problem personality. That really helps with the stress level. She was young and nice looking, so she was in with the "in crowd." At the end when she had help from Bert, she said "At first I couldn't stand Bert." Why? She didn't have any dealings with him. Can't stand is a strong reaction to someone you didn't have to work with. At the end you could see that Josh was really sick of her winning over him. He said "if you weren't so pretty, I'd be pissed."

I think a lot of her seeming "nice" was because everything went her way. I really don't care if she won or not, I just never got the "nice" vibe that was always being remarked upon.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

Perhaps because she dislikes muttering?

She worked with Josh and his exploding personality - in fact, she held the group together. I'm not sure if I would call it "nice", but Anya has a way to deal with people.

Paula in Playa

Paula in Playa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

Pffft. Anya got along with Josh because Josh kissed her ass "because she's pretty." Also, because since Anya was a judges' favorite, he was indirectly kissing their asses. Josh also got along with all his little in-crowd buddies. Anya was in-crowd, so....

Sobriquetta

Sobriquetta

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

I think Anya played the group politics very smartly. She has an incredible skill in that department, and IMO social skills are a perfectly valid tool to use in the competition.

But is she nice? To me, I think she showed her colors when she was teamed with Josh and Becky. Anya tacitly condoned treating Becky like the sewing mule, and didn't say a word while Josh screamed and physically intimidated Becky into submission. It was only when Becky stopped sewing for the team (in other words - stopped benefitting Anya) that Anya suddenly gave a crap about Becky's feelings. It was very two-faced.

That said, it is a competition. I'm all for keeping your cards close to the vest, and Anya isn't under any obligation to police Josh or play therapist to Becky. She's not some heinous villain for doing what she needed to do to survive in the competition. I just don't think her charm and decorum should be mistaken for actual kindness.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 11:50 AM

I have a lot to disagree with here. First off, I don't think Josh bullied Becky into submission. Becky is quiet, but not submissive. She was in a sucky situation but she chose her course of action. She decided not to escalate the confrontations, and she decided to accept Josh's "apology" and continue working, and she decided to speak up about things on the runway. In no way did she drink the Kool-Aid that Josh was serving.

Second, standing up to Josh is not "nice" behavior. There are other, admirable words that would apply but "nice" does not leap to mind.

Third, Anya showed consideration in her dealings with Becky, and later Kimberly and even Josh when they were upset. She started out by asking Becky (and later Kimberly) if she wanted to be left alone, and was soothing and encouraging.

So I'd say she's basically nice. Not a paragon, but your average decent human being.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

First of all, there was nothing wrong with the decision to give Becky the sewing task, only. Josh was the group leader, if he didn't thought that her design style would fit (and I have to say, that he was right in this regard), Anya had no reason to fight against him on Becky's behalf. The problem was that Josh was bullying Becky to follow his orders instead of speaking to her like a normal human being. And Anya did call him onto that. Should she have done something earlier? I'm not sure about this, as long as Josh was basically in a screaming fit, everything she did could have escalated the situation. But she was the one who put the group together in the end.

She did the same for Kimberly, and there was nothing in it for her, she gave up time she could have needed in the workroom to help her out.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

Also it was incredibly nice when she let Kimberly borrow supplies when her kit went missing. I wonder if they figured out what happened to it.

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

• Interests:Highlights of the week with my husband:<br />Fri afternoon: taco day with margaritas and Breaking Bad DVD.<br />Sun afternoon: brunch with the NY times crossword puzzle followed by the farmer's market.<br /><br />Mon afternoon: pizza in bed with The Soup.<br /><br />Without the husband, my loves include gardening; woodworking, walking the bulldog; and reading TWOP.

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

First of all, there was nothing wrong with the decision to give Becky the sewing task, only. Josh was the group leader, if he didn't thought that her design style would fit (and I have to say, that he was right in this regard)

Although this is Anya's topic I really can't let this go by. Just because Josh was team leader it doesn't give him the right to forbid one of the designers from designing-- they are all contestants and they are all equals. People have been aufed for not contributing enough to a team project and Becky should have been allowed to design and sew her own piece. In fact I think it becomes too difficult to judge when one person has his hands on all the team pieces.

Someone has kindly posted a side-by-side image of Anya's final dress (sewn the day before the runway) with Kim's final dress (sewn weeks before.) It is pretty compelling evidence that once again Anya was more or less copy-catting something another designer made.

Also, TLo have put up their analysis of her final looks and there are plenty of large, clear photos of both front and back of each look. You can really see the shoddiness of her work-- it is astonishing. The reason why the print doesn't match at the seams in her 6th look is because she used a print that runs one way and when she cut out the dress the print goes up on one side and down on the other. A mistake that not even a beginning student would make, much less someone showing at Fashion week. Also her model's butt is hanging out on the back of her shorts. Didn't that used to be something that Nina cared about? You can also see:

She did not hem the beach cover-up and it is fraying.
The gold linen dress is cut so badly that it sticks out in odd places.
In both looks involving shorts, the belt is doing all the work keeping the top in place-- there is no attempt to form or or fasten the top so that it will stay in place on its own.
In the gold booty short look the keyhole in the back of the top is way off center.

What surprises me the most about Anya is how little effort she put into winning. 3 of her looks were made and sewn within a day of the runway and they look like she spent a few hours, max, on them. When I think of all the time and care and effort that previous designers have put into their final runway shows-- how they would arrive with every little detail finished and as perfect as could be-- and then spend hours fitting and steaming and snipping off tiny threads it really makes me sad and ashamed for this season. Fashion Week is huge. How many designers would give their all just to be able to show. This chick could barely bring herself to bother whipping up some fabric ponchos and belt them into place. And I have to wonder, was she so sure she was going to win that she put the minimum amount of time in, or was she really that lazy?

Edited by Laura Jane, Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:05 PM.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:52 AM

It is pretty compelling evidence that once again Anya was more or less copy-catting something another designer made.

Actually, just about everyone had a dress like that on the runway.

LilaFowler

LilaFowler

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

It is pretty compelling evidence that once again Anya was more or less copy-catting something another designer made.

Actually, just about everyone had a dress like that on the runway.

No, "everyone" did not. Viktor did featured a halter neck gown, but his had a back, no center back strip, completely different detailing with the use of the leather straps, and his print actually matched up at the seams. Laura, Bert, Josh, Olivier- not a one had anything in their collections resembling the gown Kimberley (and Anya) sent down the catwalk.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

Nina Garcia saying she couldn't justify giving Viktor the win because he missed 5/10 opportunities in his final collection.

I call BS on anything Nina has to say she couldn't justify. Just look at the winner from last season......all her. So whatever.

As for Anya, yah her stuff was moderately pretty. I wouldn't wear any of it and wouldn't look at it twice. I thought her bird dress was pretty much a replica of one of Viktor's earlier ones. She had tons of help and challenges changed at the last minute to benefit her, and then won on a collection that in my opinion was just blah. But then I didn't like any of the final collections much. JMO. And I say whatever.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

After visually inspecting Anya's collection garments for a longer time, one thing jumps out at me -- almost all the dresses have an excess of material bunched together at the back over the butt. Miles of extra material. The tiger-striped short one is especially egregious, with the belt trying to hold it all together. Her final gown with the inkblot squares seems to widen the model at all the wrong places again.

Honestly, Anya seems to be a litany of excuses. If she had such a creative block back on the island, I wish she had given up and bowed out gracefully, rather than send so many unfinished underwhelming pieces down the runway. If she hadn't been the judges' lapdog, there would have been only three runway shows. Redemption arc, my ass.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

Just look at the winner from last season......all her. So whatever.

IIRC, wasn't Nina for Mondo at first before being convinced by Michael to have Gretchen win?

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

No, it was both of them, for Gretchen, against Heidi and Jessica for Mondo.

In the show to decide which of them would go, Michael had to convince her, but once they got to the actual show, it was all her. She was gushing over Gretchen's collection, but we probably shouldn't keep discussing this here.

And again, Anya wasn't that good. Hers wasn't even the best of the worst in my opinion. But again, that's just me.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

She was very lucky in all of the Group challenges not to have been in any groups with a problem personality.

That's not true. She's had to work with most of the contestants on this show and has been one of the few who didn't get sucked into the drama caused by contestants like Bert and Josh. Designers like Anthony and Victor are generally nice and pleasnt people, yet they vouldn't work with Bert nearly as well as Anya could.

At the end when she had help from Bert, she said "At first I couldn't stand Bert." Why? She didn't have any dealings with him. Can't stand is a strong reaction to someone you didn't have to work with. "

No one liked Bert at the start of the competition, and she didn't have to work with him to notice that his attitude changed by the end of the season (even Bert acknowleged this in the interviews.)

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

That would make sense if she, herself, had had an altercation with him.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

You don't have to have an altercation to someone to find them insufferable. None of us needs to personally get into a tiff with Josh to find him unbearable.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:55 PM

She was very lucky in all of the Group challenges not to have been in any groups with a problem personality.

I think she was luckier that she was the anointed charity case. Girlfriend was the epitome of teacher's pet, she can do no wrong, even after doing everything wrong.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 6:28 PM

She personally "managed" Joshzilla very well when she was teamed with him. Altho' it seemed they had already bonded as Mean Girls, he was being his typical uncooperative diva self, and I think I recall her grabbing his arm to talk some sense into him to semi-cooperate. I actually was admiring her people skills at the time since I consider him to be one of Reality TV's worst villains and would award him the Snidely Whiplash trophy with its own little bondage accoutrements.

Altho' I don't admire her for NOT standing up for Becky, bathroom stall intervention not withstanding. Jeez, come to think of it, that team would certainly qualify as a "group with personality problems" super-sized.

Edited by Glass Ocean, Nov 7, 2011 @ 6:29 PM.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

Over the holiday, they replayed Heidi's stint on Live with Kelly that must have been from early Fall. She talked about Anya (just learned to sew!! Wow!!) and showed the clip at the beginning of the season where Anya shows them her samples. I wish the panel had asked her how long it took to make those fairly elaborate garments and exactly how much help she had. I don't believe she could have made those without someone on her shoulder the whole time practically holding the material for her. I think she drastically misrepresented her ability in order to get on the show.

I don't see the drive to be a designer in Anya.