19-9: 2011.07.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

133 replies to this topic

MBayGal

MBayGal

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

Too bad Constantine didn't take himself out on the hometown dates so that Ames could have gone to Fiji instead.

I'm surprised so many people are so fond of Ames. I found him physically unattractive and lacking in personality. He was very smart, but still managed to be uninteresting to me. And I think he and Ashley had approximately nothing in common. But what I mainly dislike about him is that it seems to me he's just slumming.

His upper-class WASP Ivy League background seemed so out of place on this show. But when I heard that he was going to go on Bachelor Pad - which I watched one season of, and don't plan to watch again - well, all I could think of is that's he's slumming. Bored with the jet-setting life of flying to cooking school in Thailand on a whim, or out to embarrass the relatives? Whatever, I think he's just looking to check out life among people he'd never choose to socialize with in his real life. I may check in with the TWOP recaps to see how low he can go, but that's it.

And if Emily's the new B'ette, I think I can find something else to do on my Monday nights then also.

archer1267

archer1267

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

single parents aren't the most ideal contestants for this kind of premise. (Ironic, I know, since Jason is one of the marriages, and was a single dad.

Only because Molly took him back :-p I don't know that a lot of women would have.

Speaking of Ames, I'm geeky enough to looked up the word "sprezzatura" that he mentioned on the hometown date. Maybe I got the word wrong, because this doesn't sound like what Ames was describing. Strangely enough, though, it seems to describe Ames himself pretty well.

"Sprezzatura (Italian pronunciation: [sprettsaˈtura]) is an Italian word originating from Baldassare Castiglione’s The Book of the Courtier, where it is defined by the author as “a certain nonchalance, so as to conceal all art and make whatever one does or says appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it.”[1] It is the ability of the courtier to display “an easy facility in accomplishing difficult actions which hides the conscious effort that went into them.”[2] Sprezzatura has also been described “as a form of defensive irony: the ability to disguise what one really desires, feels, thinks, and means or intends behind a mask of apparent reticence and nonchalance."

finneganrules

finneganrules

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 11:46 AM

Re: "sprezzatura":

Maybe I got the word wrong, because this doesn't sound like what Ames was describing.

You're right, the original definition is about cultivated nonchalance, while Ames seemed to be describing, well, some sort of Italian stereotype (injecting romance into everyday life? something like that). As soon as he made the error, my English-nerd friends on facebook went nuts, like "GOTCHA!". But I think Ames actually does know what it means, and was dumbing it down for Ashley and the audience of the Bachelorette. He paused a bit before defining the word all like "...dang, how I am going to explain it..."

If you squint and look sideways you can almost take Ames' definition as "making romance seem everyday, or ordinary", which would be a stretch but not that far off from Castiglione's intended meaning. Anyway, I think Ames is quite smart, and even a fumbled attempt at "sprezzatura" would still make it the most literate thing that's ever happened on the Bachelor franchise.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

Altough I liked Ames quite a bit, I was turned off by his attempt to "educate" Ashley (and perhaps the viewing audience) by using a term and then defining it. He could have just simplay stated that he likes to find romance in every day things, and not turned it into a "lesson." I find that type of communication condescending even in someone like Ames who seems (from the little we've seen) to be quite nice otherwise.

I did miss Ames this week. I wish this show was shown in real time and that as each contestant gets booted, the viewing audience could vote to keep the boot-ee around in some capacity or to just let them keep going. Silly wish, I know, but it would be fun.

Edited by garden, Jul 28, 2011 @ 5:21 PM.

Maraschino

Maraschino

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

Or, he just learned the word watching The Borgias 6 months ago like the rest of us did.

justcarol

justcarol

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

The outtake with Ben and Ashley laughing hysterically is more proof of falling for each other than any romantic dinner in the jungle they could cook up.

No, the opposite. Ben told her that he did not want to kiss her toes, and told her that he did not want HER to kiss HIS toes. She looked really crestfallen on hearing that.

JP would have been all over her toes.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

even a fumbled attempt at "sprezzatura" would still make it the most literate thing that's ever happened on the Bachelor franchise.

True that!

This is my first year with this show and I find myself cheering those who remove themselves from this cess pool of shame. Go Mickey! You're the man, Constantine! Bentley, we hardly knew ye! (Oh, you're back on vacation? Ok, bye again). I don't care how much of a fame whore resides in your soul, this is succubus/incubus territory.

lauralei

lauralei

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

Wow. I just watched the JP date portion of this episode and it sure sounds like Ashley says "I love you" to JP as they first embrace! Just me? Take a listen ...

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Love their chemistry!

Bethanne

Bethanne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

Lauralei, I wonder if she said, "I missed you!" because he replies, "I missed you too!"

lauralei

lauralei

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

Bethanne, That's what I thought at first too! But I replayed it, and I definitely hear the "L" word. Maybe wishful thinking, haha.

Kat20

Kat20

Video Archivist

• Interests:Television

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 2:24 AM

My mom had an appointment with her long-time hairstylist who is in the same area as Giorgios. Not only has she been to the restaurant many times, but her kids attended high school with Constantine, and he knew her son pretty well. The Inside Scoop:

1. She was not surprised at the outcome, as he is Greek Orthodox and Ashley obviously is not. She agrees about him being concerned about what the fantasy suite implied, and agrees that he acted like a gentleman by being honest and not taking advantage by opting for the fantasy suite.

2. Constantine had a pretty serious girlfriend while in college, but it did not work because she cheated on him with a friend, which explains why he had trouble opening up to Ashley.

3. She says Constantine and his family are very nice people, and would ask about her son and how he was doing. (He was in the Marines for a while.)

4. She thinks JP is F1.

I totally agree with those who say that he took the high road by opting out of the fantasy suite and not taking advantage or leading Ashley on, and thought I'd provide you with some inside info.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 9:03 AM

Kat20 Although what you wrote indicates that both he and his family do seem like nice people, I am still not convinced that he took the high road by bailing out when he did.

Although I saw nothing wrong with Constantine (or anyone else) getting a lot of free publicity for their businesses by being on this show, I do think contestants have a moral responsibility to the lead to back out as soon as they realize that they are definitely not interested in the lead. And it seems to me that he realized this long before the dinner in which he exited. One scene earlier in that date shows him at a railing with both hands clasped together while Ashley had two hands on his arms. On many shots of their previous dates, Ashley held onto his arm while they walked, rather than the more mutual holding hands. Of all the men with whom she had 1-on-1 dates, he has always seemed to me to be the least interested in her.

I find the timing of his exit -- on the very episode following the oine in which he got extensive free publicity for his restaurant -- to be very suspicious. It seems as though he knew long before the home town vist that he wasn't interested but chose not to leave any of those times.

Having said that, I do find it refreshing to see any contestant on this franchise to express some concern about how the fantasy suite looks and what it implies.

Edited by garden, Aug 1, 2011 @ 9:07 AM.

SceneStealer

SceneStealer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 2:41 PM

My "behind the scenes" question: why on earth hasn't a lead ever gotten away with not giving a date the FS card? If I were the Bachelorette (ha!), I'd offer a FS card to my intended F1, and tell the F2 I didn't believe in the FS or something. You can tell everyone that all that happened is talking, but there's always going to be some doubt - so why even put yourself in there?

Now, obviously there is producer manipulation involved in all of this... but they can't make you give someone a FS card, right? It's not like the producers can drive the lead around for hours to make them back down like they do with the rejects; they have a schedule to stick to with the lead, and if the lead didn't tell them beforehand and instead was just like "I think it's better if we don't cause speculation by sharing the FS" (but implied that s/he was doing that with both parties, therefore not violating the contract and telling the date that they were F2), what could the producers do?

jlc1967

jlc1967

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

why on earth hasn't a lead ever gotten away with not giving a date the FS card?

My vague recollection is that Trista did not give one of her final three the FS card. Wasn't it Creepy Russ? Or was it Greg who had the tiny NYC apartment? (Boy, her contempt for them was clear. Charlie and Ryan were the only two for her.)

And in the very first season -- misty watercolored memories, when we were naive -- didn't one of the final three women refuse the FS? What was her name ... She was portrayed as a prude, playing The Rules with Alex. She was pretty, but damn, I cannot recall her name. (Shannon?)