19-9: 2011.07.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

133 replies to this topic

TomGirl

TomGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

I think Ryan is a nice enough guy, but if I had to listen to him talk about efficient water heaters for an entire season, I'd have to poke my eye out with a sharp stick.

tinsel1939

tinsel1939

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 11:50 PM

Ryan reeks of such profound insincerity, I can't believe he's not running for office. About the only good thing I can muster about him is that he's marginally less cheezy than Jake the Fake, but only marginally. And word on the girly factor. Asslee had four worthy finalists and we're stuck with Ryan and his pining heart for a whole season? I may need to alphabetize my spices or polish my cat or do something else besides watch him and his achy-breaky heart next season.

Edited by tinsel1939, Jul 25, 2011 @ 11:51 PM.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 12:06 AM

It's difficult to believe it took Constantine this long to say, "Errr, not interested."

It took him this long?! What about the free first-class vaca?! He probably had known Fiji was the last stop - it really was the end of the road for his free vaca.

I miss Ames and whatever poetic/renaissance stuff he would have said about Fiji.

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:03 AM

I thought Ashley's "break up" with Constantine was pretty mutual -- since it wasn't really a break up anyway. She kept trying to pin him down, and basically led him to that place where he had to fish or cut bait. She didn't have to go there, and she could have pulled back at any time, but the truth was more important to her. She certainly wasn't broken up when he left, or anywhere near having a meltdown. I half expected her to go look up Ryan right then, since she had a small window of available time (seriously, if she wanted to give Ryan another chance, he'd need to be scheduled in, and their schedule is set.)

I could be totally wrong, but the more I watch those two together, the more I understand why we were subjected to all of the stupidity of this season. TPTB are allergic to the idea that a real love story can be shown without all of the false suspense and drama.

Yeah, that's my take-away as well. She and JP look like they've already been dating for awhile and are very much in love. I admit it makes me warm and fuzzy inside, remembering being that way with Mr. Snooky (been married 28 years.) I rthink it's time for a tropical vacay...

Her sister seems like she has huge attitude. The previews could be the usual load of crap, but from the tone of her voice and facial expressions, it looks like she hates the idea that Ashley might be happy and wants to sabotage her.

I already find myself hating her sister. She seems nothing like Ashley (really trashy with the tats, IMO) and pretty bitchy and opinionated.

Edited by GlamSnooky, Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:24 AM.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:08 AM

Ryan is way too girly man and feminine for me to ever watch a season with him as the Bachelor. And this will only be my 2nd missed season EVER, which shows how low my bar is set. Is he confirmed or is the info still a guess?

I have no insider info, but I will speculate that Ben or JP would be a much more popular choice as The Bachelor, assuming they want to do it. Ryan clearly wants to do it, but to me, he is clearly the back up plan.

Missy Vixen

Missy Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:21 AM

I liked Constantine. Good for him that he had the balls to take a walk, rather than subject himself to more Ashley. I've whined about this before, but she had all the resources of a major TV network, and the clothes/hair/mile-long fake eyelashes was the best she could do?

Won't watch Ryan's season. I may have to take up a hobby. The only reason I'm watching now is the travel pron. Fiji's gorgeous.

I've been watching since Trista's season. I don't remember this many guys walking out before the final rose. Ever.

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:32 AM

I've been watching since Trista's season. I don't remember this many guys walking out before the final rose. Ever.

There've been two, right, Bentley and Constantine? To defend Ashley on this a little, I think this partly speaks well of her choices in final guys. We know Ryan would never have left, whether or not he was sincere in his feelings for her. And other b'ettes had some real stinkers in their F4, like Wes (there to promote his music career) in Jillian's F4. No way would he have removed himself once he fessed up about lack of feeling. And I don't think Constantine would have left at dinner, either, if Ashley hadn't kept pushing him on his feelings. His honesty was refreshing, when a lot of TV hungry guys would have clung on until the bitter end.

Edited by GlamSnooky, Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:34 AM.

foodie100

foodie100

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:35 AM

That was the most blatant telegraphing of the next Bachelor ever. Really, and I mean it this time, I will not watch Ryan as the Bachelor.

Me neither. And I say this as someone who has loyally watched every. single. damn. season of this shitty franchise. I literally cannot imagine someone as boring as Ryan as the Bachelor. WHY. WHY? WHY??! I'm aware that Fleiss has a strange obsession with picking repeats as the Bachelor and Bachelorette, but Ryan is just pathetic. He's a freaking woman about relationships, and a really, really bad actor.

Already depressed and seriously bored about the next season. Whatever happened to finding a rich, good-looking, charismatic Bachelor instead of recycling?

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:46 AM

You know, up until this episode, I had my self convinced that I'd watch if Ryan's the next lead. I mean, yeah, he was a little over eager and cheesy, but, well, so is this show. But, tonight he just came off as so calculated and smarmy. And I know that he was playing the role they handed him - "we're going to fly you out to Fiji so you can ask Ashley to take you back, she'll reject you, and it will set you up for next season now that you're open to finding love with someone who will appreciate you" - but he just seemed so into the damn role and like he was really buying the idea that America was going to fall in love with poor rejected Ryan. It was kind of gross. I felt kind of bad for Ashley having to take part in that whole set up. They could have made him the next lead without this whole return thing. Let us not forget that the last lead who was recruited via the return appearance was Jake, and we all know how that went. (Hmmm...maybe that explains why I was seeing such a veneer of smarm - it just reminded me too much of Jake.)

veronica prep

veronica prep

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:57 AM

There've been two, right, Bentley and Constantine?

And Mickey.

This show mystifies me. They have gotten really lax about creating any real tension. They included footage of Ryan in Fuji in the extended "this season on..." montage at the beginning of the season, thereby obliterating any real suspense about who was coming back, but then film this fake rejection scene in JP/Ashley's fantasy suite. Why not create some mystery about who was coming back instead? I would have fallen off my chair if it had been anyone *but* Ryan. And I would have fallen off my chair if JP and Ashley *had* gotten into an argument in their fantasy suite after the preceding love fest.

Although I did sorta love the show for showing a sputtering geyser after Ryan was rejected. Evil!

Edited by veronica prep, Jul 26, 2011 @ 2:01 AM.

Missy Vixen

Missy Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 4:53 AM

And Mickey.

I wondered to myself how many more would have taken a hike if possible after learning that Ashley preferred He Who Shall Not Be Named. Were their comments fake drama, or did Fleiss and his minions have to step in and halt an uprising via ABC's lawyers?

I also wonder if it's going to be more difficult to recruit a "bachelorette" after this season; it's hard to imagine anyone with even a smidgen of intelligence would sign up to let the producers and ABC trash her on-camera, personally and professionally.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 6:26 AM

So I think they might have mentioned this last night but I'm not sure: Can someone still leave on their own this late in the game?

I liked Constantine. He came on, got a hometown date, got exposure for his restaurant, made some new guy friends, experienced some great travels, and then left with dignity.

I feel bad for Ben. He seems like a nice guy and I'm not looking forward to watching him in the limo ride of despair.

Edited by Joymarie, Jul 26, 2011 @ 6:27 AM.

Wibber13

Wibber13

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 6:27 AM

First of all, stop bringing guys back!! How many hundreds of dollars has this show spent to bring back the anticlimactic closure of Bentley and now Ryan? Stop it already. I missed a little of the show thanks to the President's depressing speech, so I missed the Constantine debacle, but it came as no surprise.

Obviously it's JP ftw, but I love Ben, not only because of the unlimited wine, although that's a big part of it. I think he has a cute sense of humor and he's got a surprisingly nice bod.I don't think Ashley is that great a catch, so I have to get over the mindset that the one who doesn't get her is a "loser." In this case it is probably the opposite. I must say Ashley looked a ton better than usual when they showed her sans makeup. I can't believe when naming their favorite part of the day both Ashley and Ben said "the ride back." Really? You snorkle all day in amazing blue water with gorgeous fish and the ride back was the best part of the day??

Ash definitely needs a stylist. It's like everything she wears just accentuates all of her worst body features (less than ample chest, bow legs, etc.). Looking forward to the Guys Tell All on Sunday.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 6:53 AM

1. I can no longer stand Ashley's lip-biting (where her lips disappear), mouth-twitching, and cheek-chewing. She has thin lips and needs not draw negative attention to them (I can relate), but she seems to do that in toto (See, e.g., Legs, Bow-legged).
2. On the beach, Ryan, deliberately or not, mimicked every one of Ashley's mouth gyrations.

Missy Vixen:

I also wonder if it's going to be more difficult to recruit a "bachelorette" after this season; it's hard to imagine anyone with even a smidgen of intelligence would sign up to let the producers and ABC trash her on-camera, personally and professionally.

Sounds like Emily to me! :-)

Ashley is average; JP is average. Kind of like real-life, I guess!

Edited by LennieB, Jul 26, 2011 @ 7:02 AM.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 7:00 AM

Ryan is so fake he borders on sociopathic. It's like he cues himself -- now is the approriate time to smile, go into the full five wrinkle grin. Now look sad, frown hard.

My guess about Ashley always eating is that she has a very small mouth and it takes her a long time to eat. I'm the same and I'm often still on my salad while everyone else is finishing their dessert. Added to that, they always seem to have put a steak in front of the poor woman,. I hate steak, because it takes me so long to chew. No wonder she was so thrilled to see lasagna last week.

Remember how Emily said Monday nights were awful, when she would watch Brad on his dates with Chantal? Somewhere, last night, JP watched Ashley straddling Ben and rubbing cream on his chest. I hope he had his blood pressure medicine handy.

becca656

becca656

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 7:44 AM

Someone above mentioned the poor style choices Ashley/her stylist being made: I finally came to a conclusion last night.

She or her stylist (or both) subscribe to the Carrie Bradshaw (of SATC fame) school of clothing.

Why in the world would she continually wear black underwear, even under the sheerest of fabrics??? I have never understood that style.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 8:19 AM

I'd say I won't watch Ryan as Bachelor, but I watched Jake, and I can't imagine anyone being worse. Not even Mr. Hyper, Says Everything At Least 8 Times, Insincere, Water Heater Guy Who Won't Stop Talking. Why on earth TPTB designated him to come back and audition is beyond me, but he said the magic words -- "I'm open to love now" -- and so we have the theme for his season: he wasn't open to love but learned that he must be. Which is B.S., because all he did was complain about not getting enough time with Ashley.

Ashley really does look better with less eye make-up.

Supposedly there was a big, substantive discussion about a major issue like religion that led to Constantine's departure. And of course TPTB would never, ever show us anything remotely substantive because we're stupid enough to watch their show and therefore must have the mental capacity of a colony of amoebae. So it looks like he's just not into her and leaves, but it's entirely possible it was mutual as a result of the Unseen Important Conversation. Therefore, I give her a pass on saying it was mutual. We just don't know.

There was enough there with Ben to make JP steamed if he's F1. Ben, OTOH, seems almost incapable of a temper. He does seem fragile, though. If he's F1, he's probably feeling hurt after watching her interactions with JP. There's no passion with Ben like there is with JP, and Ashley seems like the type to go for the passion.

I wonder what her sister says about the Bentley nonsense.

Edited by ClaireO, Jul 26, 2011 @ 8:21 AM.

shd

shd

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 8:22 AM

Awww, I was hoping Ashley would offer a rose to the guy who gave the speech behind the podium in the fancy hallway about halfway through the episode.

jackjill

jackjill

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:08 AM

Ashley is not classically what you'd call beautiful. She is cute, IMO, and when she had less eye makeup on she looked adorable. Very fresh-faced. I wish she'd been more like that all season.

I can't imagine her picking anyone but JP, their interactions are so intimate and personal, like they've been dating for a long time. And, silly me, I hope it lasts. I always do...hopeless, clueless romantic that I am.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

Am I the only nerd who noticed that right after Ashley and Constantine recreated the iconic Sawyer/Kate lagoon swim from Lost (only Constantine isn't cool enough to swan dive), Constantine talked about having looked at 108 houses before picking one?

Probably. :)

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:27 AM

I hated the faux drama with "Ryan is back!" Like he has Chris Harrison's home number, and Chris just offered up that Ashley's in Fiji.

I have a terrible feeling they're setting him up as the next Bachelor, and I absolutely.won't.watch. Ick. Objectively, he's alright looking, but his personality and creepy grinning really bug.

I'm more excited about the special on Sunday than I was about this episode. I was spoilered about Constantine, and I thought there would be more to it than that. I had a mild panic attack when the president's speech cut into the episode, thinking I'd miss something, and was kind of disappointed that it all boiled down to, "ehhh, I'm just not really feeling it."

Also, didn't I read somewhere that the "fantasy suite" date usually doesn't mean sex? It's the only time the contestants are allowed to speak off-camera and totally in private, and I thought I'd read that most of the guys/girls used it for discussion.

rileyjo

rileyjo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

Boy, you guys are a tough room! I like Ashley; I think she's just a normal girl with insecurities. I personally couldn't stand Allie last time (so I stopped watching) and I think Ashley is a lot better than most of the Bachelorettes with the exception of Trista. I think she lucked out with the guys she got this time, too. Seems like most of them were great catches. Maybe they weren't all classically handsome, but Ben sure turned out to be a catch! I will watch Ryan if he is the bachelor. He's so cheesy, I bet it will be fun. Wonder how he will react at the men tell all show when the other guys make fun of him.

I feel with most of this stuff, it's all in the editing. They are trying to make a tv show; so they don't care what we think of any of the contestants on the show. They don't show very many people in very good light. The more controversial, the better. The more they get people to talk about the show and the goofy people on it, the better the show likes it. So they do lots of editing to pull the strings.

Did they try to make it seem last night that Bentley was going to be at the men tell all show? I cant' believe he would have the balls to show up. I think that was one person that didn't need any editing; he was just a jerk all on his own.

Edited by rileyjo, Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:32 AM.

TheFinalRose

TheFinalRose

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

Well, thank you to all the big suits out there who created a debt crisis and ultimately forced me to miss the last twenty minutes of last night's show when my tivo failed to anticipate the 22 minute This is an ABC News Special Report. Not that I needed to see Ashley and JP with their hands all over each other or the faux surprise when she hands him the fantasy suite card but I missed the previews for the finale. That's the only interesting bit of drama in the whole show.

Constantine wins the award for being the only straight male on this show who has some self-respect (or a back-home girlfriend with a really violent temper) and does not allow himself to be whored out by participating in the fantasy suite just for a freebie. Very klassy exit, I thought.

And NO to Ryan as the Bachelor. Up until last night's episode I didn't see the annoying side of his personality, but he is too eager. I would actually watch Constantine now that I know the guy has a spine.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

Prior to last night's episode, I had never skipped a single minute of a Bachelorette season.

And if you had told me a year ago that the next bachelorette would be a woman who was about to complete dental school, and who spoke French, I would have been 100% sure that I would have been glued to the TV for every episode this season. I would have imagined this bachelorette as the female equivalent of Andy Baldwin (or of Ames, even though we hadn't "met" yet): full of interesting conversation and a mature perspective on it all.

However, last night I reached the point where I could no longer stand a 2-hour dose of the silliness, immaturity, and desperation of Ashley. About 10 minute into the show, when she wore yet another ridiculously short skirt, and once again SHOUTED something that most adults would discuss in a normal tone of voice, I switched the channel to watch swimming. I watched Ashley only during the swimming commercials.

Even in my limited viewing I saw her wrap her legs around another man (JP), allow yet another man to carry her (Ben -- at least the 8th man to carry her this season), use the word "cute" for the 100th time, mispronounce yet another multi-syllabic word when she called Constantine "Consteen," wear way too much makeup, and show up to the rose ceremony way, way overdressed compared to the men.

The slide into silliness and immaturity of the bachelorette started with Deanna's season, got progressively worse with Jillian and Ali, and has reached a new low with Ashley.

If they lost me least night, they are really staring to lose their core viewers. I just can't stand watching a bachelorette this silly and little girlish on the one hand, and desperate to look sexy on the other.

Edited by garden, Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:50 AM.

jlc1967

jlc1967

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:10 AM

To keep piling on poor Ashley: One of my biggest pet peeves (and boy I have plenty) is when someone says, "Are you having fun? Was that fun? Did you think that was fun?" etc., when you and this person have clearly just had a fun time doing whatever ... It makes me nuts, the neediness of it. When they show us footage of Ashley and whatever guy she's with apparently having a wonderful time snorkling or swimming or whatever, and then she follows up with, "Did you have fun today?" AUUUGGGGH! I want to throw a shoe at the TV. What the hell does she think he's going to say?

One person in my life does this more than anyone else, and every time she asks me, after we've had a perfectly pleasant afternoon or evening together, "Did you have fun?", I always answer, "No. That sucked." WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ASKING ME THAT?

Her clothing choices are atrocious. She dresses like a hooker.

Edited by jlc1967, Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:10 AM.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:36 AM

Boy, you guys are a tough room!

The ironic thing is that, in general, I usually am quite accepting of people. But the 2 things that bother me most about women are when they act like little girls, and when they over-sexualize their appearance. And Ashley does both so frequently, that she almost always is doing one or the other. I don't know why she finds the idea of being an intelligent, mature, interesting adult so objectionable.

Edited by garden, Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:38 PM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:47 AM

Gawd this bunch has no charisma whatsoever. With each other. With the cameras. Even with themselves. I can't even imagine how any masturbates. Except maybe JP who fantasizes about himself.

I have to wonder if Ashley is part of the storyline meeting or was just filled in on the Consensual Nookie Suite Date. Odd how suddenly she zeroes in on JP's obsession with her being with other guys on the show. Wonder if that is going to be his out?

I'm not sure Ryan successfully auditioned for being the next Bachelor or just a spot on Bachelor Pad. He has all the charm of a local cable evangelical with that forced smile and absolutely nothing but need for attention behind it. But he does remind me of Jake in many ways with the "I'm just so boyishly charming" bit. Plus he flew to Fiji so he just proved to Fleiss he is willing to go the extra yard. I missed his entrance so I have to say this continued myth of Chris being on every attention whore's speed dial is wearing thin. And what is the point of keeping the big lewd innuendo suite date locale a secret if any of the tossed can just call up and ask to come along?

Between storms and Presidental speeches and just lacking the ability to pay attention to this bunch I ended up missing what turned out to be the best moment of the night. Why Ashley kept Constantine around other than the chance to ride his Trojan horse is beyond me. Did she really keep him around because she found him nice to look at and was hoping to learn the secret of Greek Fire in the suite of Carnal Communion? He could barely hug her. His best effort looked like what a guy gives the his much younger sister's best friend. Slightly awkward, completely unnecessary in the guy's eyes and pretty much allowed due to pity for the girl who has an obvious and futile crush.

JP. Super-romantic. And even that came out a bit forced. No wonder mom brought out that picture. He clearly hasn't changed much except the hair.

Ben. "She makes me laugh"...Followed by a forced laugh. Are you freaking kidding me?

These guys have had a week or more to rehearse. Both did have some clarity to sell this snake oil thing the Bachelor tries to claim is "love". But still. Next time instead of romantic self help booklets, Fleiss should hand out dictionaries and thesauruses. That or kept Ames around to play Cyrano to the remaining two's utter complete dullard idiots.

Ohnothemes

Ohnothemes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves (and boy I have plenty) is when someone says, "Are you having fun? Was that fun? Did you think that was fun?" etc., when you and this person have clearly just had a fun time doing whatever ... It makes me nuts, the neediness of it.

Yes! And then when the poor guy says "Yes I had fun," she says "Reeeeeaaally?" like she is so shocked to hear that snorkling/skydiving/shagging can be considered fun.

MBayGal

MBayGal

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

Awww, I was hoping Ashley would offer a rose to the guy who gave the speech behind the podium in the fancy hallway about halfway through the episode.

GOOD ONE, shd!!!

Am I the only nerd who noticed that right after Ashley and Constantine recreated the iconic Sawyer/Kate lagoon swim from Lost (only Constantine isn't cool enough to swan dive), Constantine talked about having looked at 108 houses before picking one?

Probably. :)

Although I was a devout Lostie, I didn't notice that, but loved that you pointed it out. Sounds like whoever scripts this "reality" was a Lostie also.

Megger

Megger

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

Why in the world would she continually wear black underwear, even under the sheerest of fabrics??? I have never understood that style.

I don't know why she does it at other times, but in the fantasy suite, it made sense. My guess is that guys find that smokin hot.