Doc Martin

• Please log in to reply

165 replies to this topic

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 9:22 AM

I searched and didn't find a thread for this wonderful show. I just started series 4 and it looks like they are filming series 5. Who knows when we'll get it in the US. This shows stills from the filming. The doll playing the baby is both horrifying and funny (looks like Martin, including the ears). There are some cast changes, including the addition of Eileen Atkins as another aunt and the departure of Pauline the receptionist.

I love all of the series but series one was really dragged down by the actress who played the first receptionist, Elaine. I've seen her in other things and she always seems to play the same type of annoying character. There is nothing charming about her. Pauline was a real step up. Otherwise, the casting has been superb.

Any other Doc Martin fans out there?

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

Here's a fan-site dedicated to the series: http://www.docmartinonline.net/ and a blog with information on series 5 filming http://docmartinseries5.blogspot.com/ which may contain some slight spoilers.

and some websites about the area where it's filmed: http://www.portisaac-online.co.uk/, http://www.theoldschoolhotel.co.uk/

There are some cast changes, including the addition of Eileen Atkins as another aunt and the departure of Pauline the receptionist.

Eileen Atkins character Aunt Ruth, is a replacement for Stephanie Cole who has taken a regular role in Coronation Street so wont be returning to her role as Aunt Joan.

Guest stars for series 5 include, veteran actor Peter Vaughan (Game of Thrones, Lark Rise to Candleford,Lorna Doone (2000)Bleak House (1985), etc), Julie Graham (Survivors,William and Mary,At Home with the Braithwaites,Marple:Towards Zero), Robert Daws(Jeeves and Wooster,The Royal,The House of Elliot) and Louise Jameson (Leela,Doctor Who,Tenko,Bergerac,EastEnders) who will be playing Louisa's estranged mother.

Edited by McBrien76, Jul 24, 2011 @ 2:45 PM.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

My husband and I just discovered this wonderful show last Saturday and we are hooked. I love the fact that I can understand what they are saying ( I often have trouble with English series) and the characters are so interesting. Please tell me that he adopts the dog and he gets to stay...

The Dallas PBS station is running the series on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. I don't have any idea if all PBS networks are carrying it as they seem to differ a lot among the various markets, but you might check with yours if you're interested in seeing the old episodes. I sent them an email to see if they plan to run all 4 seasons available, but have not gotten an answer.

It's good to know that there's a thread for the series....

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

I liked series one through three and I really loved the special which guest starred Chris O'Dowd. However, I didn't care for season four very much. IMO, there was a bit too much emphasis on Martin's relationship with Louisa, which was better as a kind of background motif rather than front and centre all the time. I also didn't like how they got rid of the principal to make way for Louisa's return by giving him a mental illness. In general, I've been favourably impressed by the show's treatment of mental disorders but there it was used as an easy excuse to make someone disappear and have him never mentioned again.

I like Stephanie Cole, but she's in high demand as an actress so I'm not surprised that they couldn't re-sign her.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 2:47 AM

I like Stephanie Cole, but she's in high demand as an actress so I'm not surprised that they couldn't re-sign her.

Stephanie has also said that she has always wanted to appear in Coronation Street, so when the offer came through earlier this year she was unlikely to say no.

"When I worked at Granada Television a lot in the 1980s I used to play bridge with Doris Speed [Annie Walker].

"I remember thinking, 'Maybe one day they will offer me a role on Coronation Street.' Well, that day has finally come and I am thrilled."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-12020920

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 2:10 PM

It's playing twice a week here in Louisiana on LPB. I stumbled upon it one night early this year and was instantly charmed! I frequently watch the replay because there's nothing on broadcast TV that's remotely as entertaining and terrific.

When the series ended, they started Garrow's Law in the same timeslot -- but made certain to let us know DM would resume from the beginning in about a month. Now they are both on, with DM on Wednesdays and Saturdays and GL on Tuesdays and Sundays.

So at the moment here, we're about midway through Season One (just had the one where Martin was "outed" for his blood phobia, then saves a boy's life with an emergency operation in an ambulance). I'm seriously thinking about ordering the DVDs, but then, I am getting commercial-free full eps for no charge, so I'll hold off.

But it's safe to say this is my favorite television series on the air.

And I agree that silly, inept Pauline was a great successor for even more inept, but infinitely more horrid, Elaine. Yikes! I look forward to the transfer of power.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 5:22 PM

What's going on with this show? It's on tonight (#3) I think and then it isn't on for the next 2 weeks. I just talked with someone at our local PBS station and she thought it would be shown all through season 4 and then they would carry the new one. We just discovered this two weeks ago and we're already losing it! Help...

swissair100

swissair100

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 8:58 AM

Just adore this show, and the Doc himself, what a wonderful curmudgeon - his deadpan comebacks are simply hilarious ! It is fun to watch the convergence of idealized village life and the city sophisticates escaping the rat race who come to the sleepy town of Portwenn. Love all the quirky characters, the beautiful coastal scenery, intelligent story lines, & witty dialogue.

I will miss Aunt Joan/Stephanie Cole. I enjoyed watching her in Waiting for God, and wish her well on Coronation St. It will be interesting to watch Eileen Atkins as Aunt Ruth, who is always formidable. But I'm not going to miss Pauline.

Very much looking forward to Season 5, more great writing and more of the lovely Cornwall seaside.

Prosend

Prosend

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 9:15 AM

Doc Martin is also available on Netflix. You can get the discs or the watch on instant. It is kind of addicting....

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

According to Wikipedia, "Series 5 will be produced in 2011 and will have eight episodes.[13] It is expected to air Monday 12th September." (I presume that means in the UK) http://en.wikipedia....tin#Series_Five...

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Oh crap -- PLEDGE DRIVE time is upon us. Perhaps the reason you are losing the show, dhall60, is because of the onslaught of totally unentertaining drivel that replaces the far-superior regular programming during much of the overly-long pledge drives. Between the money gurus, the health gurus and the completely irrelevant Oldies music specials, I tend to forget about PBS until the real stuff is back.

Not that I'm certain this is your local situation, but here in Louisiana, the dreaded Pledge Drive looms forbiddingly in our near future.

kingfisher

kingfisher

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 6:04 PM

I've seen all the seasons available on Hulu--and only realized this week that my local PBS station was showing new (to me) ones, ie the headmaster having a breakdown. So I've missed a couple. It's a pleasant show, good acting, suspiciously good weather at all times.

I agree the first receptionist was too off-putting. I dropped the show after watching the first episode because of that and only started watching it again with the urging of a friend.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 3:09 AM

It's a pleasant show, good acting, suspiciously good weather at all times.

Might have something to do with the fact that they normally film from May to August i.e the hottest time of the year and when Cornwall has around seven hours of sunshine per day. Due to its southerly latitude and the influence of the Gulf Stream, Cornwall has the mildest and sunniest climate in the United Kingdom.Obviously, if the weather is bad and it's not practical to film outside then filming schedules will be changed and they'll film some indoor scenes instead.

This year, filming started a month earlier in reaction to local opposition to the film crew working in the village during August when the schools are closed and there are more young children about raising road-safety concerns due to the extra traffic and parked vehicles on the narrow streets generated by the filming.

Edited by McBrien76, Aug 7, 2011 @ 3:57 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 3:38 AM

Oh, I loved this show! I haven't seen it for a while. I better watch this show again. I always wanna know how Doc Martin would interact with House, like in another universe? Heee...

Edited by HoneyBee, Aug 7, 2011 @ 3:39 AM.

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

My husband and I just discovered this wonderful show last Saturday and we are hooked. I love the fact that I can understand what they are saying ( I often have trouble with English series) and the characters are so interesting. Please tell me that he adopts the dog and he gets to stay...

If I recall correctly, mutt sticks around a good long time as his nemesis. Adoption might be the wrong word, unless it is about the dog adopting Martin.

I haven't seen this in awhile. I loved it from the very beginning. The medicine is reasonable, authentic most of the time and handled well. One of the most believable looks at general practice I've seen, at least on television.

I'm going to miss some of the cast departures a great deal. BUT, glad to have any new series even if a somewhat transformed one coming back soon.

In a throw down between Ellingham and House, I'd put my money on Ellingham. They are both brilliant diagnosticians and socially inept. Ellingham, though, has two main things going for him 1) A village full of loyal nutters who would back him up in any pub fight, 2) He can run faster than House. I'd add that Martin is actually consistently taking baby steps into a more healthy adult life instead of stagnating or actually becoming stupider, more crass, and OOC.

(Does my bitternes betray how very much I loved House the first season or two . . .and very much don't anymore?)

Edited by ReverseFleckerl, Aug 7, 2011 @ 11:41 AM.

Artistictype

Artistictype

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

I've just discovered this series as well and really love it. Please, my local PBS stations, don't go on a fund-raising binge yet and make me lose this show for 2-3 weeks.

I know Martin is abrupt and has zero bed-side manner, but there's been a few times when I'm surprised somebody hasn't taken a swing at him yet. But maybe that's my American sensibility or it's to come in a future episode.

It's ironic that the Doc can't stand dogs cause I've read that Martin Clunes is a huge dog-lover. I think he even did a series on dogs.

The medicine is reasonable, authentic most of the time and handled well. One of the most believable looks at ge

There was one scene I was questioning. When he suspects the cop's brother might have Huntington's disease, he immediately orders a blood test. Now usually patients get counseling before deciding to get such testing done. And then they get the results back the next day? Since when do you get genetic testings back in 24 hours?

Edited by Artistictype, Aug 7, 2011 @ 1:42 PM.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

It's ironic that the Doc can't stand dogs cause I've read that Martin Clunes is a huge dog-lover. I think he even did a series on dogs.

It was a two-part documentary called Martin Clunes: A Man And His Dogs which first aired back in August 2008: http://www.dailymail...wolf-heart.html and http://www.telegraph...st-friends.html

He's also rather fond of horses: http://www.telegraph...-interview.html and did a two-part documentary called Horsepower which was first aired in August 2010

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

McBrien76, those stories were an absolute gift, thank you very much!

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

Since when do you get genetic testings back in 24 hours?

Ever since the show needs all the sub-plots wrapped up in an hour or less.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 8:39 AM

Martin Clunes Interview on NPR Radio about Doc Martin.

Artistictype

Artistictype

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

Ever since the show needs all the sub-plots wrapped up in an hour or less.

To be nit-picky, a lot of the medicine was a bit dodgy in that episode. It turned out the brother had lead poisoning from the paints he was using. Now I've used lead paint in my oil painting, and unless you're swallowing it or smearing it all over you like sun-screen, you can't get poisoning just from using in the usual way.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

I think the brother was making the paint to mimic the time period he was faking. Maybe that involved a process through which he could inhale it.

dcnative

dcnative

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

It was kind of funny. The constable (police officer) thought his brother was cooking crack (and subsequently using it), so he cleaned up all of the cooking evidence before he called the doctor over. I guess the brother was inhaling the lead when he created his colors using the cooking process.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

It was kind of funny. The constable (police officer) thought his brother was cooking crack (and subsequently using it), so he cleaned up all of the cooking evidence before he called the doctor over. I guess the brother was inhaling the lead when he created his colors using the cooking process.

Trivia: PC Penhale's (John Marquez) older brother Sam was played by John's real-life older brother Martin Marquez who some viewers may have seen in Hotel Babylon on BBC America as barman Gino Primirola.
Meanwhile, Martin's daughter Ramona Marquez plays Karen Brockman in Outnumbered and Princess Margaret in the movie The King's Speech.

For anyone who's interested the cottage where Louisa lives in the first three seasons is available as a holiday let, although the peak season prices are a bit expensive at $1,622 (£1000) a week !: http://www.seacovepo...co.uk/index.php So any fans who fancy visiting the area where it's filmed will either need a windfall or have to save hard if they would like to stay there.

Meanwhile, here's what Fern Cottage (Doc Martin's house) really looks like inside: http://www.docmartin...ge-gallery.html Much nicer than the set they use on the program.

The new episodes of Doc Martin will be available on PBS in April 2012 and a backstage documentary will be available in January : Making a Portwenn ‘house call’ to the set of Doc Martin

Edited by McBrien76, Sep 6, 2011 @ 5:42 AM.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:27 AM

I stumbled upon this delightful show last year when the scenery caught my eye. I've been hooked ever since. I just saw the last episode a week ago so I'm really looking forward to April's new episodes.

Edited by MyEyesSee, Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:40 AM.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

I just finished series 4 too. I loved it and really hope we get series 5 very soon here in the US.

BTW, Hulu has all four seasons available.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

A week between posts so I hope this doesn't count as a double.

No Doc Martin in U.S. until spring.

With the new series of the hit comedy drama, Doc Martin, set to return tomorrow (Monday, 12 September) on ITV1 in the UK, itís time to set up yet another support group in the U.S. Unfortunately, as we have recently reported, series 5 will not premiere in the States until April 2012 on public television stations.

My PBS station better start running it as soon as it's available.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 3:04 PM

Please tell me that he adopts the dog and he gets to stay...

A friend of mine has a theory that the dog-actor has to be the actor's actual dog. It's a wonderful show.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

My PBS station better start running it as soon as it's available.

choochi, I don't know if this will help but the Canadian multi-cultural religion channel Vision has just started airing Season 5. If you have any access to Canadian television, you may want to search it out.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

A friend of mine has a theory that the dog-actor has to be the actor's actual dog. It's a wonderful show.

Neither the scruffy dog, Gremlin who appeared in the first three series and apparently died in 2007 after season 3 was made or the former stray, Dodger who joined in series 4 as 'Buddy' belong to Martin Clunes.

Martin has 3 dogs, a black Labrador, a cocker spaniel and a Parson Jack Russell. He also had another Cocker Spaniel called Mary, who made a cameo appearance in series 1 and appeared on a couple of chat shows with Martin see more: Martin Clunes: My Life in Dorset

An interview with Martin Clunes in The Montreal Gazette: The 'bunny-hugger' behind heartless Doc Martin

Meanwhile, Doc Martin actor Martin Clunes helps on-screen baby
by donating memorabilia to fund treatment for a rare condition.

Edited by McBrien76, Nov 28, 2011 @ 7:13 AM.