1-7: "Sanctuary Part Two" 2011.07.24 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

still Karen and Hal had more than just a childish fling

Plus she just got kidnapped by a local skitter less than what? -- two weeks ago?! Yet nobody's the least concerned, let alone her stupid boyfriend. Karen was one of the 2nd Mass's scouts and fighters, but they didn't miss her 'cause Maggie has blonde hair too? All blonde women are interchangeable? And there I was thinking the show was taking some chances by having two young women among its fighting forces along with a thirteen year old boy. Boy, was I wrong!

From what I could tell, they never went sent out a search party either, probably because she was only a girl. Then they didn't de-brief the de-harnessed kids to help find her either, altho' she was likely in their vicinity, maybe even in their building. Now she's probably doomed to return as a Jeff Goldblum-style half-skitter.

Rant over and out.

BroncoDavid

BroncoDavid

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Question: In what month is this show taking place - Spring or Fall? Somehow I was under the impression it was Fall, but I would have sworn I saw some daffodils - Spring flowers - in bloom along the McMansion neighborhood the kids stopped at on the run from Camp Doom.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

Question: In what month is this show taking place - Spring or Fall? Somehow I was under the impression it was Fall, but I would have sworn I saw some daffodils - Spring flowers - in bloom along the McMansion neighborhood the kids stopped at on the run from Camp Doom. -BroncoDavid

During Mike's funeral (and other parts of this episode) you could notice that the leave were changing colors, everything was wet, almost everybody was wearing a jacket/heavy vest/sweater, and you could see people's breaths while they were outside, which indicates (to me anyway) that they are probably in mid-fall (I would guess late September or October).

Edited by TVspectator, Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:59 PM.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

I also noticed dead brown leaves rustling along the roadways during the Moppet Forced March, and then during some recon missions. The cameras were placed low to the ground while some production crew was blowing them in deliberately. I think it will get colder soon, and some folks better have their axes out chopping wood. But that would be far too mundane for this show, so maybe the skitter attack will have messed up the earth seasons just for their convenience.

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:42 PM

I might have missed this but how did the alien collaborator guys find the kids in the house? I thought maybe the (insanely stupid) piano playing might have given away their position but it didn't seem clear that this was it. Surely there were many houses to check yet they found them pretty fast, and without even going inside.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 3:28 AM

Is the possessed girl a Thora Birch clone?

BroncoDavid

BroncoDavid

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

I too was wondering how the Camp Doom guys found the house the kids were hiding in. I was under the impression Lourde's piano playing was early on, so ruled that out. Maybe the shout of "You sunk my battleship!"?

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

I might have missed this but how did the alien collaborator guys find the kids in the house? I thought maybe the (insanely stupid) piano playing might have given away their position but it didn't seem clear that this was it. Surely there were many houses to check yet they found them pretty fast, and without even going inside.

I addition to the idiotic piano playing, the kids just seemed to be walking around making themselves at home in the house. One of them probably turned a light on or something. :-)

The show should be called "Falling IQs." To misquote Ripley, "Maam, did IQs fall sharply while the Skitters were invading?"

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Agree that there's should have been more kids with the 2nd mass. We've seen more in class with the littlest moppet, but none of them were sent away.

As usual, they threw in an easy-to-miss bit of dialogue to cover themselves. When sending the kids away in the previous episode, Tom noted that the Skitters weren't interested in the youngest kids (presumably because they're too weak to lift that precious, precious scrap metal). So they were only sending the tweens and teens.

I hope they establish that Alex was harnessed a lot longer than Ben, thereby explaining his identification with the invaders. The other two explanations I can think of are: (1) because Alex was so ill when he was harnessed, the harness had to do a lot more to him to make him fit, perhaps in ways that changed his neural pathways and the way he thinks or (2) going from being so sick to being fully healthy made him actually appreciate the Skitters and angry at the people who took him away from them. If he's been sick his whole life, he may not have known how bad his pre-Skitter life was (relative to people who could breathe) until he was cured.

As for Hal, I just think that all the young women have good taste -- the boy is hot, and he's apparently the only male of appropriate age for this passel of women.

KnitTzu

KnitTzu

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

...which indicates (to me anyway) that they are probably in mid-fall (I would guess late September or October).

These people are so screwed. Do they think they're in California? Once winter comes they're all going to freeze to death! No wonder the skitters aren't remotely interested in taking them out. They can just wait a month or two, let them all turn into Popsicles, then come in and pick out the tweens.

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

I can't believe that Tom told Pope to stop shooting at them and then threw his ammo away as if it was yesterday's trash. I am neither a soldier nor a parent, but if it was my kid, who was being shoot at by a bunch of slavers trying to kill him/her, I would join Pope and start shooting till our ammo runs out

Personally, I would have done that if that would have been my nephew out there (and the kid is annoying as hell sometimes). Even Weaver struck me as more realistic when Jimmy was attacked in part 1 than Tom did this instance.

I don't know if Maggie likes girls or boys, but I think after months of being raped, the chances of her wanting anyone of any gender are slim and none.

I'm still hoping to see a love triangle betwee Maggie, Weaver and Pope rather than Hal, Maggie and Karen but I do believe that's a valid point. The way I see this, Maggie should still be damaged enough to barely trust somebody, she might not be ready for a love interest just yet.

Edited by pretoriantoo, Jul 29, 2011 @ 11:02 PM.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 11:43 AM

The way I see this, Maggie should still be damaged enough to barely trust somebody, she might not be ready for a love interest just yet.

The likely reality of her being in an emotionally fragile state has never stopped a writer from tapping into his fantasy wet dream sequences...

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 2:27 PM

I might have missed this but how did the alien collaborator guys find the kids in the house? I thought maybe the (insanely stupid) piano playing might have given away their position but it didn't seem clear that this was it. Surely there were many houses to check yet they found them pretty fast, and without even going inside.-henriPootel

I was under the impression that someone left the front door wide open (I blame Hal), and when the alien collaborators/slavers came by looking for them, they noticed that the front door was left wide open. Or it could be that the moppets left a trail of breadcrumbs to the house.

addition to the idiotic piano playing, the kids just seemed to be walking around making themselves at home in the house. One of them probably turned a light on or something. :-)

The show should be called "Falling IQs." To misquote Ripley, "Maam, did IQs fall sharply while the Skitters were invading?"-bodielovesbetty

I am surprised that these people could be this stupid and somehow still be able to survived for six months after an alien apocalypse. I don't expect these people to be experts on guerrilla warfare but can't they at least used some common sense for a change?

Angelito

Angelito

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

LTG wrote:
I hope they establish that Alex was harnessed a lot longer than Ben, thereby explaining his identification with the invaders.

Please don't rename Ricky. Well, unless you're going to give him a whimsical nickname, like Jojoba Shampoo Boy. If he dies, I call dibs on his hair.

KnitTzu wrote:
Once winter comes they're all going to freeze to death!

Don't get my hopes up like that. It's just plain cruel.

ChickenLatte9

ChickenLatte9

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

This is random, but was Matt eating cereal with milk? I watched him reading the box and was puzzled. There can't be any fresh milk around, right?

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

I'll hand it to the eagle-eyes who've noticed that Matt was eating cereal - that escaped my attention. That was probably because my eyes were already glazed over by the fact that they stopped in a big ol' house and got all comfy while they were supposed to literally be running for their lives. (Seriously, the lack of urgency really bugs me.) If he was eating cereal, some allusion should've been given to the fact that he had to eat it w/o milk, or an explanation given as to where the milk came from (did they use powdered mik, was it water, etc.). But that would be the same as asking for an explanation for the oven having the electricity to show the time, I guess.

Edited by Make It So, Jul 30, 2011 @ 4:32 PM.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

but was Matt eating cereal with milk?

Perhaps one of the original kids in the family had a lactose intolerance and so the mommy kept boxes of rice or soy milk for breakfast. They have a pretty long shelf life.
But that's assuming someone in Continuity gave a damn.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 8:39 PM

but was Matt eating cereal with milk?

Perhaps one of the original kids in the family had a lactose intolerance and so the mommy kept boxes of rice or soy milk for breakfast. They have a pretty long shelf life.
But that's assuming someone in Continuity gave a damn.

We shouldn't have to work so damned hard to make sense of these details. I mean, I came up with those shelf-stable boxes of irradiated milk (or whatever the hell they are) that are sold in the juice aisle at the market. Of course it isn't necessary to waste my time doing it, but why do I care more than the writers, etc.? I don't even get paid to think about this crap!

Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

There's that boxed milk that doesn't need refrigeration. I'm reaching here!

Angelito

Angelito

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

ChickenLatte9 wrote:
This is random, but was Matt eating cereal with milk?

I see no milk on the table.
I see no milk in the bowl.
Matt and Jimmy are eating by sticking their hands in their respective bowls, which isn't something you normally do when your cereal is soggy.

The scene's roughly around 30:22 if anyone wants to have another look.

ChickenLatte9 wrote:
There can't be any fresh milk around, right?

Not unless you're very good friends with Formerly Pregnant Lady.

mybabyaidan

mybabyaidan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

So do we officially know the age gap between Hal and Margaret? I am intrigued by the hand holding at the funeral. She really hasn't given any REAL indication that she is interested in him...so I figured he was too young for her. She did open up to him about the cancer, but I just saw that as her feeling more comfortable opening up to him more than anyone else.

I did like Karen, but beyond a few scenes indicating they were "together" we never got any real insight to their relationship.

I was really irriated that they so readily allowed ALL the kids to go. I mean if they wanted to really do it so escape was easier, it would have made more sense to send more elderly or sick. The fact that it was just THE CHILDREN should have sent out warning signs to Mason and Weaver.

DonitsYum

DonitsYum

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:music, softball, bowling; "Battlestar Galactica", "Mad Men", reality shows

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 1:55 PM

I'm seriously crushing on all of you right now. This commentary is hilarious.

they stopped in a big ol' house and got all comfy while they were supposed to literally be running for their lives. (Seriously, the lack of urgency really bugs me.)

This, and when they all were back at the school waiting for the 3rd Mass to arrive and then they would "flee"...why was all the ammo and stuff still sitting around in what I'm assuming was the ammo locker at the school?? That and the medicines are still sitting nicely arranged in cupboards, fully made-up hospital cots are lying around..wouldn't all that crap be packed up and ready to move? They were really busy flipping over cars for their "perimeter", which BTW was about as tight as a fishing net! Pack up all the ammo why dontcha!

Hoo boy!