Flipping Vegas

• Please log in to reply

80 replies to this topic

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

From A&E TV:

Once a real estate investor’s dream, Las Vegas now has thousands of abandoned properties desperately in need of transformation. Enter Scott Yancey.

Scott, a tough-talking, risk-taking, house flipper, gambles on homes no one else wants. But his strong commitment to getting the job done has helped him win big in the real estate industry.

FLIPPING VEGAS follows Scott and his team – wife and interior designer Amie, and a host of wild project managers and beautiful real estate agents – as they work to breathe new life into run down properties. Despite the roadblocks, the conflict, and the drama, Scott always finishes what he starts – leaving behind a beautiful new home, excited new homeowners and most importantly, a profit in his pocket.

Where oh where to begin with this show. It's been on a few weeks and I think there are only 8 episodes this first season.

Is anyone watching this? I go back and forth on this show. The guy isn't as douche-y as Armando, nor does he press his contractors like Armando. But he does have some douche-like tendencies. And the man jewelry and leather coat need to go.

And Amie Amie Amie. Her nose has to be the strangest thing I've seen on tv in a very long time.

I think all and all it fills a void for me as there hasn't been a new Flip this House in ages. I'm guessing the ratings are low as it's been on at least two weeks and no topic for it yet here.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2011 @ 11:00 PM

I'm watching it. Overall I enjoy it, but am already tired of the "fights" between Scott and Amie on "cheap and quick" vs "luxurious and more lengthy". Even when the margins would be comparable.

I also find something odd about the way Amie speaks. Like she's forcing herself to talk in a deeper voice or she has bad veneers or something.

I'll keep watching though.

longslim

longslim

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 1:51 AM

Jesus, Mary Joesph; I have screamed at the TV while watching this fake reality show. Every episode they buy a POS house and then completely redo it in 5/10 days. Now they never get permits for any work they do. The main worker who I call Carlos and the gang, love working for almost free for El Jefe' they give the lowest bid I every saw. The real kicker is every house is sold on the first day for more than asking price. Now all these home have been on the market for months and one was in a risky area. But hey Scott and Madame always come through in the end if you believe anything on this show.

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

I'm enjoying this one a bit since one of my kids used to live in Vegas. That makes it a bit more enjoyable over Connecticut or wherever those other dudes live (lived?). I also kinda like that Scott et.al. aren't making a huuuuuuuuuge am't of $ after the flip.

One thing all these shows has done for me is to alert me to the utter stupidity that most flippers seem to have. No permit pulling; no knowledge of electrical, plumbing etc. Yikes.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 11:17 AM

Did anyone see the Dream House episode? with the $4 million mansion? I missed part of the beginning so I didn't understand the relationship with Scott and the other couple. Seems like that other couple bought it for $2MM and then did nothing? and now needed something done asap or the framing would have been exposed to the weather for too long? So Scott invested the $1.3 needed for completion? Is that right?

Loved the fighting with Amie and the other woman on design. Did they really stick with apartment grade carpeting in that place? That's the one thing I'd agree with Amie on - for that type of home you need higher end carpeting.

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

Amie (and her weird nose) always seems to fight with the other women involved with projects. Catfighting seems to be a theme with this couple and the houses they renovate. Bizarre.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

Scott is Armando light. I hated that jackass since he knocked the ice cream out of one of the contractors hand. Scott prefers to work his contractors to death.

Amie gets pissed when Scott hires agents that are young, pretty, and busty. Or when she needs to work with a budget.

The cream cabinets made for a pretty farm/country kitchen. In Vegas. Um, OK. Anyway, it was ridiculously small considering the size of the mansion.

Out of the houses, I think I liked the one that had a view of the strip.

And I yelled "holy crap" when the contractors dropped the granite.

JackTheNarrator

JackTheNarrator

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

I've watched this show over the past few Saturdays, and every episode is exactly the same. The house has more problems than they thought, Amie's trying to exceed the finishes budget, the contractors are doing a poor job, Scott is searching for the cheapest bid, Scott is yelling at someone over the phone (with the poorest acting I've ever seen), the realtor (always a new realtor every episode) is nervous, they are struggling to be ready in time for the open house, lather, rinse, and repeat.

I do think the houses look good when they are done, but the cheapness of the contracting work makes me wonder about the quality. I can't believe how low some of the bids are that Baldimer (sp?) and other contractors have come up with. How are they possibly redoing an entire house, including floors, kitchens, and baths, for $25,000 or less, including labor and materials? The show certainly doesn't go out of its way to make the contractors look competent, and Amie basically picks almost the same types of finishes in every house. I also screamed when they dropped the granite!

Scott completely pings my gaydar, and he is a strange character. His timeline is never remotely realistic, and then he blames everyone around him and we are treated to a shot of him screaming into his cell phone. The episode on Saturday with the twins didn't make any sense, with the competing contractors being hired and lack of communication. And at the end of the episode there was still plywood up on the outside door, yet they were acting like the work was all done. The driveway grading on the dream house was nutty also. Why did they have to keep paying more when it wasn't done properly? I can't imagine hiring someone to do a job, then they don't do it correctly and you have to keep paying them to correct it? Really?

I'd love to know if any of his houses are actually selling, and if so, for how much. He must be making some money, but when he talks about how many houses he's done, it doesn't logically make sense.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Why did they have to keep paying more when it wasn't done properly? I can't imagine hiring someone to do a job, then they don't do it correctly and you have to keep paying them to correct it? Really?

I didn't get that either! I wouldn't be surprised if the excavators were Dino's subs and had communication problems. That crew looked like a hot mess. If you need a drywall expert to follow around your subs, they aren't that good.

Every episode states that they get offers at or near asking price. I don't know if I buy it. Some, like the lady in the white dress who "bought" the "golf balls ruined the place" house looked like she was offering full price for camera time.

goddessofcrap

goddessofcrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

I was looking for a thread like this last week! I've seen 2 or 3 episodes so far. I would not watch it if it weren't the middle of summer and nothing else was on, but it's entertaining enough. I agree about Amie's voice, drives me nuts. And it definitely seems fake how she automatically hates pretty real estate agents, especially considering that...

Scott completely pings my gaydar

!

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 6:51 PM

So glad there are a few of you watching this mess. I was starting to think it was a show only broadcast to my little world..lol

My gaydar has been on hiatus. Scott hasn't pinged it. I do hate hate hate the Armando like tactics of using his converse clad foot to kick in walls. Am I the only one hoping he'd break something?

Scott being gay has nothing to do with Aimee's dislike of anything female. She's just a stone cold bitch I think.

The full price offers make me give the side eye too. When it's all said and done they aren't selling the houses all that cheapily for folks to pounce on it and give (sometimes multiple) offers. From what I've heard Vegas market is depressed and there are deals to be had that *don't* require renovations...so why pay full price for one of Scott's jobs.

I will say that he must have some measure of success (unless he rented the office space) b/c it on the surface looks more legit then Montelongo/ CT Homes that we've seen in the past.

Oh and one more thing - color me confused too about the double payments. It was the granite and something else in that same episode. The contractors made a mistake and Aimee wined about having to pay for it. In my world you break it you bought it. You make a bad measurement you ass is eating the cost, not mine.

goddessofcrap

goddessofcrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

Wow, I just watched the Ridge House episode and I can't believe how staged this show is. I get that reality tends to be staged but not usually to the extent that it bothers me. Nothing on this show is real. This was the episode where there was a snake (some kind of constrictor) in the house. All the contractors were afraid and cowering outside, while Scott just walked in and found the perfect bin to contain the snake, and he picked it up and put the snake in there. COME ON.

I also don't usually think about hair extensions or notice them, but wow, Amie has some terrible extensions. Awful. Perhaps she should apply her decorating principles (always the best!) to her own appearance.

ChickenLatte9

ChickenLatte9

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

It really is not a big deal to me either way, but Scott has to be gay, right?

CVC

CVC

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

I'm watching the Ridge house episode too. The snake was sooo staged. The camera crew followed the snake coming over the wall, across the yard and into the house. They just happened to be out in they yard when the snake appears? They follow it across the yard without saying anything or alerting the workers? They coudn't shut the door? The snake was probably Scott's pet.

Last week I was watching an episode at the house with the gross jacuzzi. They telegraphed the safe in the wall right off the bat, it was obvious they had been in the house before and inspected it. Amie wants granite counters. Scott doesn't. Amie goes and buys "expensive" granite without telling Scott. When the workmen are carrying the slab into the house, they drop it. Oh no, what will Amie do? Except that the granite was a raw slab. That wasn't a counter, it was probably a scrap given to them by the granite company.

At the house with the pink garage door, when the truck backs into the door and Scott and his contractor go running out followed by the camera what's the first thing we see? Another cameraman outside. They probably filmed the scene from both inside and outside of the garage, but showing the truck backing into the garage door was too fake even for them.

I'm realizing any enjoyment i'm getting from this show is by spotting the staged bits.

longslim

longslim

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

Great read on City Data forum about this show, this is one post..

Flipping Vegas "real or not?"
Hi everyone. I have a friend of mine who know lots of the details about the show. So many of the post I've seen mention the dislikes and skepticism of the show. I'd like to share some of what I know to be true.

The main guy on the show "Scott," is not an expert real estate flipper. He owned several cheap properties in 2006-2008 in the north-east side of Vegas. These homes were in slum areas. They were purchased for $30,000-$50000. He tried to do flips and lost money. He sold those properties in a bulk deal in 2009-2010 he took a loss!!

Whoever mentioned that they were suspicious of him owning the homes on the show, you were correct. He owns the home country club house. The twin on the show own most of the other homes. Scott was looking for any investors to allow him to pretend to be the owner for the show. The hot tub house was staged. The hot tub actually worked before the crew messed it up. It had no safe in the wall. That house is located on matthew st (89123) the realtor in the show had never seen the home before she didn't sell it to scott or the twins but she sure did get blamed for it!!! The episode "twins house" (located in nevada trails 89113) never had a wall that needed to be torn down. If you notice that wall they tore down is actually from "the hot tub houses" kitchen. It was 100% fake staged wall. They were filming Scott yelling at his construction crew from outside of the "hot tub house" which was filmed months later. Notice the short hair, long hair!

The blonde agent doesn't sell the home the same day! They aren't supposed to lie about pricing stuff so at the end they put on screen "first day offer" or "potential profit," which actually means they haven't sold the house.

The only homes Scott owns always are purchased in Goliath LLC's all other homes are faked ownership! It's amazing that that guy even got the show. His brokerage is very small and doesn't focus on residential homes! He's always trying to recruit agents since most of his cast quit on him since he made everyone look stupid. One would think that a broker would want the agents to look great and do an amazing job to generate leads but he went a totally other way.

A&E Should wise up and cancel a second season to avoid anyone finding out more lies put on this show!

If you will notice on each

Read more: http://www.city-data...l#ixzz1Tetmau1K

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 7:17 AM

Ok so I watched the finale - Something seemed fishy about "the twins." I can't put my finger on it - for some reason I keep picturing them and Scott in a three way, with Aimee in a corner crying about granite. Ok brain bleach, but I can't help it. When they are on my screen that's just were my mind goes.

Interesting info longslim.

What I don't understand though is this:

The only homes Scott owns always are purchased in Goliath LLC's all other homes are faked ownership!

Isn't Scott and Goliath the same thing? Also in a lot of episodes they billed him as being in partnership with either the Twins or that unhinged guy from the billion dollar house...so I wouldn't call that "fake" ownership.

gnushell

gnushell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

Where the hell is Amie from. She has the strangest accent and along with her voice it's just grating. Her sense of design is pretty PWT though.

I don't get a gay vibe from Scott, and I have professional level gaydar.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

I just caught a new episode (apparently missed the start of the new season). This house had coyotes and scorpions. TO get rid of the coyotes, Scott had the crew pee around the house. (WTH??) but I stepped away and didn't know if that did the trick. They didn't mention the coyotes again after that, but you never know with shows like these. The Amie segments were minimal, much shorter than I remember previous episodes, so that was nice.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 3:22 AM

Anyone notice how much Scott sounds like Alton Brown? And Amie sounds like Adrienne Maloof. Maybe they are related...?

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I can only watch the last 5 minutes of this show. I like to see the after look. The "star" is annoying & obnoxious. His wife is pretty. I do think its funny that he has to see the house that day & whatever realtor is used they seem to sell it in one day. This show is beyond staged & phony but aren't they all now?!?

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

Many things seem fake about this show especially the small renovation costs and the fact that every house seems to sell at the open house which almost never happens. On top of that, I really can't stand Amie and her strange, strange voice. I can only assume her bad nose job affected her voice as well. Scott and Amie seem like big braggers tooling around in their fancy cars, buying custom golf carts and showing their water toys. Also don't believe that Amie could pick out everything so quick, I;m guessing she uses standard materials in every house and the stores pre-pick it for her.

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

One thing all these shows has done for me is to alert me to the utter stupidity that most flippers seem to have. No permit pulling; no knowledge of electrical, plumbing etc. Yikes.

There is an old saying that still holds true..."You get what you pay for."

One of today's episodes featured "expert" Scott writing a book on real estate...wtf???

What in heaven's name makes a person who buys a property for 40-50% (or more) below market value, with no home inspection and then sets a budget that in no way takes into account the REASON the property is priced where it is, (in today's episode, a major poisonous scorpion infestation) qualify as an expert??

I see this literary "masterpiece" in the bargain bin at my local bookstore...

Countess123

Countess123

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

• Scott being gay has nothing to do with Aimee's dislike of anything female. She's just a stone cold bitch I think.

LOL   And please, if your budget is $1500 for countertops you are shocked when your husband is angry over the $8000 you spent on them? 

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 12:55 AM

I just caught this show today. I saw the episode where Scott bought 11 homes. I liked that he had a lot of failures, but then selling the house for a hefty profit simply didn't ring true. And the guy on the first day who offered to by something like 5 of the homes?

What stands out in my mind is how this man obviously hires the cheapest labor and then has a communication problem because he doesn't speak Spanish. Yelling in a man's ear in English isn't effective and it's definitely not funny. Hiring an ineffective project manager who probably doesn't speak Spanish is equally as asinine. And then bitch because things aren't done right. How professional is that?

Is his wife of the Jackson clan? She has that half-a-nose thing working for her. Looks like Michael's sister.

Edited by midvale, Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:31 PM.

hottesthw

hottesthw

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 2, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I can't believe this show has been renewed for another season. I watch reruns and feel guilty because the only thing I focus on the entire time is the wife, trying to figure out is she mentally slow, mentally disabled, is she just a really bad actress, did she ask for the shrinking Michael Jackson nose on purpose? I feel like I'm going against every manner my mother taught me and am staring at someone who is "different," than me.

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 12:52 AM

I live a few hours from Vegas so I always get sucked into watching this show. I wish they would tell the location of the homes a little more. They always seem to have clips of the strip and then have views of the city taken from the Summerlin and Henderson sides. Location is so key to Vegas, the same home or condo can be triple in price just a few miles apart.

This has to be the most staged show. We have seen the pot house, the frat house, the cat house...every week there is some theme. Foreclosed homes are rarely left like that. If the house is in a desirable area the bank will try and do some basic maintaince to protect its investment and if the house is in a bad neighborhood, anything of value will most likely be stolen. There is no way there were 40 cats or 100 bras hanging on a wall left in a home for 1 year or more while it went through short sale and foreclosure. The latest episode Scott's Partner is infamous for buying homes from distressed buyers (one of those people that advertises Ill buy your house for cash). If the partner bought the house, he had seen the inside. I'm sure frat guys leave 100 bras behind. I also don't believe that cat lovers leave 40 cats behind. Watch hoarders, those cat people will give up their kids before the give up their cats.

Why can't they just do an honest flip show? It is obvious that Scott wants to be the next Armondo M.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 1:23 AM

I never understood the graffiti part of these flipped shows. Do people who go into foreclosure really do this? If so, why? Do they live like that for a while or trash it when they are evicted? Is it just fake, too? I can't stand the show (or, the guy) & only watch the last 5 minutes or so for the reveal. I also love how they always sell the house over asking too. I've never been to Vegas but all the neighborhoods look alike on this show. Does all the whole Vegas suburbs look exactly alike?

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

Do people who go into foreclosure really do this? If so, why?

There are some people who live like this all the time, and there are also plenty of foreclosures where people wreck the house on the way out because they are angry at the bank.  100 bras or some living cats isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Many leave people feces, blood, raw food, dead animals, and break holes in the walls or dump cement down the plumbing. Many others take everything that isn't nailed down; others leave the majority of their stuff either because they don't care about it or can't afford to move it with them.  In many areas, a house that is wrecked is the norm.  

There are people hired by banks who fix or clean them up a little to get them ready for foreclosure sale. How much they do depends on the home and area, and the professionalism of the fixer.

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

Byanose, For the most part Vegas homes look the same.  The most realistic episode of this show was the small condo across from the police station in the bad neighborhood. I could see a condo/apartment home in that area of north Vegas getting vandalized over and over. It totally baffles me how most of the homes look alike(in more suburban type locations east/west of the strip), white stucco=80's peach stucco=90's light tan stucco=2000's and darker brown stucco 2010's. The yards are for the most part very small and most have some sort of HOA.  I am from the east and tried to build a home out here and no subdivision (I was looking at lots from 60-100k) would allow non-stucco homes. Brick is a big no. Of course if you have millions you can build anything but the average 100-500k homes are stucco boxes on small lots. The price depends on schools and neighborhoods. You hear Scott say Summerlin and Henderson a lot and those are the 2 most desirable places, where the same home will command an extra 100k just because of the school district.

I took me over 100 offers before I bought my home. Most homes were short sales or foreclosures. Of course I was looking in good school suburban areas. I never saw any graffiti. I did see plenty of people take all appliances. I saw a very few houses with bathroom & lighting fixtures fixtures gone. the only house I suspect sabatoge on was my dream cape cod style home(such a rare find in the southwest) & days before the closing it was "flooded" and the fireplaces were gone. Besides the one condo in the bad neighborhood Scott flipped, he has almost as claimed the homes were in Summerlin or Henderson, many he brags about being on golf courses or HOAs so I doubt that much graffiti was in those homes. My friend's husband is a contractor and they do clean ups on foreclosures and she said the last few episodes are so staged. Most of what she finds is junk, broken useless junk.

Edited by silverspoons, Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:21 PM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

Silverspoons, I never knew anything about the foreclosure deal(s) until I started watching these flipped shows. In fact, I don't think I know anyone whose gone into foreclosure. Although, one house was foreclosed in my old neighborhood (suburb of Philadelphia) and, it was flipped and I think sold. That said, it's really rare in my neck of the woods. At least, from what I know. I guess these foreclosed & flipped shows would be as exciting if the house(s) weren't trashed & graffitied. I still watch the, but don't believe any of it.