What If You Were Sent to Westeros?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

41 replies to this topic

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 10:54 AM

I'll take to distilling cheap liquor for fun, profit, wound disinfectant, and Molotov cocktails in case of zombies.

See, now I'm picturing that crazy lady next door who smells of booze rants about zombies and throws fire bombs at dogs who poop on her lawn. Ha

screamin

screamin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 11:00 AM

Awesome.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

I misunderstood the challenge.

Edited by jeansheridan, Oct 2, 2011 @ 11:40 PM.

Kimiko

Kimiko

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

I'd make like Johnny Potatoseed and pay several peasants around a few silvers to plant an acre of potatoes each and give me a sack of them when grown.

Good luck with that. Peasants don't have an acre to plant. If Westeros feudalism works the way real-world European feudalism did, the peasants are responsible for working a certain portion of their lord's field, planted with their lord's grain, from which they are allowed a certain amount of the crop at harvest to feed themselves.

screamin

screamin

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

Good luck with that. Peasants don't have an acre to plant. If Westeros feudalism works the way real-world European feudalism did, the peasants are responsible for working a certain portion of their lord's field, planted with their lord's grain, from which they are allowed a certain amount of the crop at harvest to feed themselves.

If they're like the Irish tenant farmers, they pay their rent in the crop of the owner's choice, and plant whatever land's left over to feed themselves. If their crop fails, they still have to pay their landowner, or be evicted...which is why a tenant farmer might be interested in getting paid a few silvers to plant a crop, along with a promise to buy the product when grown. (so that even if the crop fails he will have value to pay his rent, with more to come if the crop succeeds).
If they're like serfs, who pretty much belong to the lord, well...serfs certainly don't own acres, but they work them. While they have to pay the lord in the crop of his choice, they might have a certain latitude in what crops they can plant to feed themselves. If on the other hand, the lord is obsessive-compulsive and wants to approve every seed that goes into his ground, it's a simple approach to humbly offer the cash to him for planting the crop...when the abundant return on the investment is seen at the harvest, it'll probably catch on.
....as long as there's no potato blight...

Raja

Raja

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Lemme see here. I think I know one thing for certain. My urban/suburban lifestyle does not prepare me in the least to do just about anything. So I'll use that 10k besides obligatory anti-biotics on stuff I could sell.

So I'll have myself transported to of all places the West with the Lannisters. Where I'll sell 5k worth of guns and munitions to the Lannisters at a killing. Hopefully the prospect that I might be able to procure more will encourage them to actually pay me rather than stiff me or slit my throat. In case they prove unreliable I'll have the other 5k in various "magic items." Solared powered electronics. In particular those flashlights where you can either power them with the little solar panels or my turning some knob. These "magical" torches should sell like hotcakes. Might also bring some electric shavers and walkie talkies.

They will also of course have to buy one of these solar powered battery chargers.

http://www.amazon.co...38676185&sr=8-1

I'd then use the gold coins I have to get the hell out of dodge.

IF I just have to stay in the world of Westeros (rather than Westeros itself) I'd travel to a city like Pentos or Quarth to retire. Hire a few bodyguards and just live off the coins I have for as long as I can. Perhaps the Summer Isles. The God of wine and breasts comes highly recommended by Varys and Tyrion. On the other hand Xaro did mention his parents didnt even own a pair of shoes. So might be very backwards. Or perhaps a big opportunity to make a killing by bringing a few Nikes with me?

If I had to stay on Westeros I'd obviously want some place safe. Dorne isn't involved in the war and probably warm. So might be at least tolerable during the Winter. However it's dry and food is probably even in shorter supply during the Winter which I heard a rumor is in fact "coming." It's also on the mainland so I'd be at risk when the zombie apocalypse hit.

So I'd take the Arbor. For a couple of reasons.

1) It's an island so I might stand a better chance of surviving the zombie apocalypse when it starts.
2) From what we can tell it's peaceful.
3) People on the show rave about the wine.
4) It's far south so again. Warmer than areas further north come Winter.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Scenario: A genie drops you in Westeros in the Kingdom of your choice: The North, ruled by House Stark, The Vale, ruled by House Arryn, The West, ruled by House Lannister, or in Pentos, where Danaerys Targaryen is to be wed.

You arrive in Westeros in the kingdom of your choice three weeks before Robert I Baratheon departs King's Landing to offer Lord Eddard Stark the position of Hand of the King, or in Pentos a few days prior to Danaerys' wedding to Khal Drogo.

Your Goal: Survive in Westeros for the next five, turbulent years. If you do the Genie will transport you back to your present time without having aged a day, and give you twenty million dollars, if you die, you are transported home without having aged, ten minutes after you were transported, but with no extra money.

My plan would be to go live with magister Illyrio (the guy who arranged Daenerys's wedding), pose as a servant girl in his house and pretend there's no war for the next 5 years.

Smitevil

Smitevil

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

Until some of his guests/guards decide they want some servant girl's ass and you end up raped. And then you end dead in a gutter since Magister Illyio doesn't approve of rape under his roof and they need to cover their crime.

Anyways for a male the best option would be to start in the West in the Lannisport and head to Oldtown to the Maesters of Citadel. It is really the best one hands down for one simple reason and I can't believe more people here didn't realize it...

You can read and write in the world without printing press... This skill for survival you already know and you don't even need to insinuate your way into Citadel itself by bribing or otherwise to be useful to them. They have lots and lots of books and their adepts need to actually learn stuff instead of spending hours and hours by copying books.

Thats bare minimum you can achieve being able to read and write. 99% of men on this forum could follow this plan and succeed given they manage to make the journey from Lannisport to Oldtown - which is the trickiest part and part where you are the most vulnerable, because ships sink, the captain may turn out to be a dishonourable man and screw you over and if you opt to travel by roads - well they are not exactly safe either.

Why Oldtown you might ask? several reasons:

guaranteed employment, as far south as the south can be, port city - in case the white walkers decide to finally invade you will have plenty of time and savings (in case you got robbed at one point) to bail from the continent

For a woman it is a little bit more trickier. The best option is to follow the same route only to masquarade as a man. Which means apart from preparing a good plan in advance on how to get From Oldtown to Lannisport you also need to prepare in advance and learn how to act and look to pass as a man. You don't want to end up in subservient postion in that chauvinistic world trust me.

Edited by Smitevil, Jun 29, 2012 @ 2:01 AM.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Until some of his guests/guards decide they want some servant girl's ass and you end up raped. And then you end dead in a gutter since Magister Illyio doesn't approve of rape under his roof and they need to cover their crime.

I'll never understand how in a society filled with slave girls and willing prostitutes would men feel the urge to rape servant girls, but I reckon I would most likely end up with the silent sisters* - the ones who fixed the corpse of the knight killed by the Mountain in season 1 - rather than dead, if they wish to cover a crime such as to ruin a low born's reputation.

*ETA: In fact, I don't understand why any modern day person wouldn't just join the sisters and travel Westeros un-noticed.

Edited by visenya6, Jul 1, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

Smitevil

Smitevil

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I'll never understand how in a society filled with slave girls and willing prostitutes would men feel the urge to rape servant girls

Obviously you have never been a man, or better yet just read the books

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Spend the $10,000 on getting local currency, probably getting nondescript goods (e.g. linen) that will be easy to sell and acquire coin, but not attract attention to myself (no advanced technology/firearms.)

Plan A: Get dropped in Lannisport, sell the goods and cart, buy some weaponry (I do archery so a bow and quiver of arrows would be best for me, and maybe a dagger), maybe hire some bodyguards if I can find any that aren't super sketchy, make my way to Oldtown on the horse. Try to enlist in the Citadel as a Maester in training, and spend as much time as possible in Oldtown training. I think I'd stand a much better chance of living if I did that rather than rush through and get placed in a dangerous castle that could be sacked and what not. I have a background in Medicine, Science and Mathematics, so I think I could probably get accepted pretty easily, especially since the rules have also very generously given me fluency in both Dothraki and Westerosi. A couple people have already come up with this plan though so I'll try for something more original.

Plan B: Get dropped in King's Landing, sell the horse and cart and goods. Buy some weapons (like in Plan A: a bow and quiver of arrows and maybe a dagger) just to protect myself on the journey. Book passage on a ship to the Vale. Judging by the map it seems to be the easiest kingdom to defend, so we'd probably hold out against the White Walkers the longest, and as of Season 2 they don't seem to have entered the war on any side. Since I know how to read and write and do sums, I'd set myself up as a clerk or scribe in a counting house in a city, or for a minor noble who has no Maester. Chill for 5 years, or until the White Walkers come and slaughter us.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:20 AM

I would definitely go to the North.

Female, so I would either fill the cart with trusted family and bodyguards, or, various supplies and equipment. Things that would last.

I'm not sure I understood the part about money. Is the money included separately? I mean, separately from whatever we choose for the cart full of stuff?

If so then I would try to buy some land. Put a small house on it, and farm some sheep or something like that. Sell the wool. One thing I would bring is embroidery supplies. I would busy myself making tapestries and other finery that I could sell.

Anything like gold would be robbed off me almost as soon as I got there, plus greeted with suspicion. But if I had to go alone, I could pass myself off as a widow or something and make my living in peace.

It might not sound too exciting but the whole goal is to live the five years, and not be a threat to anybody. Which is one reason I would avoid the crazy Lannisters and the barbaric horsemen as much as possible (and the intrigue of the capital city.)