Canada's Got Talent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

Well Montreal certainly proved to be what people would expect... a lot of good stuff and a lot of strange stuff. :) Haven't watched the Cut show yet, but will probably watch it tonight.

I doubt any US Network/Cable system will be carrying the shows. I checked out http://www.canadasgo...om/contestants/ and it doesn't look like your friend made it. I don't recall him on either Toronto show either, but that doesn't mean much. (He may have been there and I just don't recall the name)

Rex Raider

Rex Raider

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

I thought that all 7 acts last night were pretty bad. It's unfortunate that the circus act at the end only did 1 trick. It was a great trick, and I don't think everyone realized how hard that actually would be to do, but it was too similar to the previous trick and although the family was now involved, it just didn't bring anything new to the act.

The Actor: Sorry, but a guy yelling for 90 seconds is not what will win this show. I would have preferred if he did the motivational speach from Bravehart.

I really don't know who will go through. Possibly the beatbox guy.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I was surprised to see a stage actor up there. I haven't watched most of this show, even though I love the American show and was pumped for a Canadian version, mainly because there's too much on TV on Sundays that I already watch; I can't squeeze another Sunday show in.

Anyway, the stage actor. Hmmmm, didn't think he belonged in the final 39. I'm sure he's talented, but there are so many outlets for acting and it's hard to see if he's good in 90 seconds and on his own. It kind of reminded me of poetry recitation when I was a kid in school - yawn. Glad he didn't go through.

Just like AGT, when the judges rave about a singer, I always think, "Really?" They sounded pitchy (TM-AI) to me, but it must be the way the sound translates on TV. It's happened so often that either my ears are off (which is unlikely, as singing on other shows/commercials sounds fine) or it's the TV thing. Odd.

Didn't care for the singing group that made it through because I thought they sounded off, and just okay. I hope CGT isn't going to be a final of mostly singers.

Edited by Shermie, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:04 PM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I think the Stage Actor got through so they could do a Vimy Ridge tie-in, like he mentioned at the end. He did give a good presentation but wasn't going on no matter what.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Wow, the lack of buzz about this show is stunning. America's Got Talent is one of the top shows in Canada during the summer, yet a home-grown version generates little interest. I have to blame it mainly on being on CityTV. If it was on CTV, it would be promo'd like crazy and they'd talk about the acts (and maybe feature some) on Canada AM, which gets top morning ratings.

As it is, few are watching. Too bad, because there have been some really interesting acts that I've never seen on five seasons of AGT.

Too bad the dog act didn't go through. I prefer that to beat boxing, which I find boring (and kind of gross; I imagine their hand is filled with spit, ugh).

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

I admit I've skipped the last 2 semifinal acts, mainly due to having too much other stuff on my PVR. Being on City is probably hurting them somewhat; and I am still pissed that they didn't give the Maritimes a full hour show for the Halifax auditions, though IIRC, 2 of the finalists are coming from the Maritimes. "Got Talent" is very much a summer popcorn type show when there isn't that much competition. If they had shown it starting in May it would probably be doing better, and would still be able to wrap before AGT starts up (I assume City's contract has wording that their show can't air at the same time AGT is on the air or something like that).

I'll probably check out the final at least to see who got in and how they professional-up.

And yes, the backing of CTV would probably have helped a lot more than being on 4th rated City.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Is there a CityTV affiliate in the Maritimes? I can get City from Toronto, the Prairies and Vancouver on my dish, but I don't see a feed from the Maritimes. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just that it's not on my satellite provider.

CityTV has always been more of a hipster network, catering to the urban crowd. I'm not sure CGT is the right fit for them. I know AGT does well in Canada, but I thought that was more when CTV had it. I wonder why they dropped it, since it was highly rated and what else is there in the summer on CTV? Some dancing show, I suppose.

It also didn't help the show that two of the three judges are unknowns to most viewers. I think Measha is a great judge, her critiques are useful to the acts and honest as well. She's not your typical female judge who's all "You look great, I think you're awesome" who isn't really saying anything helpful.

Edited by Shermie, May 2, 2012 @ 8:42 AM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Meesha is a fantastic judge (and a Maritimer to boot! :) ). In fact, overall I really like our choice of judges. They fit the standard tropes as expected, but they seem to have good chemistry together and have fun doing the judging, while giving good feedback. (Including from Martin; he's surprised a few performers with his knowledge).

As for a City affiliate; I don't think we have an official one. ASN, now CTV2 used to be the semi-official City affiliate up until CTV and City were separated again, and even now they still carry some City programming, but I don't think they carry CGT. I, like most Maritimers, just watch the Toronto City feed from Cable/Satellite anyways, since CTV2 doesn't have a HighDef feed yet.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I am enjoying Meesha a lot!! More than I thought I would. I still have no clue who Stephen Moccio is, hubby keeps calling him "scarf guy".

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

OK that group of finalists was quite good overall. Some could have used a bit more polish but overall they did a very good performance.

I was impressed with the overall variety we had... 2 beat boxers, a rapper, a country singer, 2 opera, 2 dance groups, a dance trio (that won!), a rock group, a solo dancer who was quite good especially for his age, and the acrobat. And 2 Maritime acts too.

I hope Season 2 is ready to go soon; and they need to keep all 4 hosts (host and judges that is). Meesha, Martin and Stephan are fantastic judges, and Meesha's hair is an act in and of itself. :)

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Well this is disappointing news. No season 2 Or at least no second season any time soon. :(