Canada's Got Talent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 1:50 PM

Starting in March 2012, CityTV will air Canada's Got Talent, our own little piece of the "Got Talent" worldwide franchise. Auditions start in Winnipeg in September, then go through Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto before ending in Halifax in October.

No word yet on who's hosting or judging, but the copy on their webpage name-checks Howie Mandel and Shaniah Twain, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up on the panel.

Time for me to dust off those skills honed in all those Karaoke Fridays back in college.... :)

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

Already sent in my application to audition, so here's hoping. if I get the audition in Vancouver on September 21st I'll be auditioning on my birthday.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

Awesome - Howie is Canadian born and raised, so I can see him being part of this.

I hate that the auditions for Ontario are always in Toronto only. Erg. One-third of the country lives in Ontario, surely they could audition in one other place in Ontario besides Toronto. Nobody wants to go there. Why not tap into the large population to the south and west of Toronto and have auditiions in London too?

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

If they had video submissions, I might give it a shot. I can't really get away long enough to auditon, just on the off chance that my somewhat rusty singing skills are good enough to make the cut. Especially considering how expensive it is to travel from where I live. (Any flights from here would have to go through Halifax anyway, and a round-trip flight there would run me at least $600. And the "highway" from here is a glorified dirt road, so a road trip to Montreal, even if I had a car and a license, and could get the time off, is pretty much out of the question.)

I do have some friends who could give it a fair shot, though. I'll have to pass word on to them.

CrazyBeautiful

CrazyBeautiful

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 3:54 PM

I hate that the auditions for Ontario are always in Toronto only. Erg. One-third of the country lives in Ontario, surely they could audition in one other place in Ontario besides Toronto. Nobody wants to go there. Why not tap into the large population to the south and west of Toronto and have auditiions in London too?

At least there are auditions in your province! These things always tend to skip right over Saskatchewan, and like to pretend that we are all fields and farms with no cities. It would be fun to audition, but taking the time off work to travel to Edmonton on the off chance is not worth it at all.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

Why not tap into the large population to the south and west of Toronto and have auditiions in London too?

Because as far as TV producers are concerned, Ontario is based around Toronto. Just like Quebec is based around Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton cover all the Prairies, and the music scene in Halifax is exactly the same as the one in St. John's. And anyone who lives north of Edmonton can just hitch a ride down south, no problem. :)

Still, it's a halfway-decent cross-section for a trial run. If the show catches on, I'm sure they'll move the tryouts around for later seasons. (Except for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, of course.) And if they don't, then maybe they'll work out the kinks and have video auditions.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2011 @ 5:14 PM

Any word yet on who the host andjudges are? For that matter, any reports from the auditions?

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

There were two lines, one for those like me that applied and booked in advance, the rest for those just showing up. Even in the line was in I waited about two hours to get into the registration line. After getting my number we were called up in groups and asked what we were doing and if we were singing did we have a backing track or a capella.

I was in a smaller group of three other singers, a comedian and a harmonica player. We all said our name, home town and what we were doing to a producer and a camera. We all did our thing and got a handout explaining we'd find out if we got a call back around the 15th. In that the note was to be sure we wore the same clothes and did the same thing we did that early day.

I'll report back if I get any further.

toomuchtv47

toomuchtv47

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

I went as support to the Toronto audition. We were lucky to be near the front of the pre-registration line and didn't have to wait long before my bf's number was called. He ended up in a small room with a few different singers and when their room was finished, was asked to stay and do some interviews. We were there for a long time but the time flew by. Emails for call backs are supposed to be on the 31st so it's a bit of a wait.

Fingers are crossed. I know a couple more people who were auditioning as well and were not asked to stay so we're hoping it's a good sign.

It was a very interesting day and it was neat to see the behind the scenes process. There were a lot of very talented people around and a few not so talented. I hope I get to see more of the back stage stuff.

Good luck to everyone who auditioned!!

MagicManRob

MagicManRob

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

I auditioned in Toronto on Friday, September 30th. It was a pretty fun time. Really hoping I get a call back. It would be fun to go through this type of experience. Especially since it's the first season.
Good luck to the other posters.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

The first judge has been announced, and it will be Martine Short

A decent enough choice IMO, with the added bonus that he is Canadian, so that puts us a step up on AGT.

No word yet on the Host or other 2 judges, but I agree that Howie is a shooin as soon as they can get the contract and timing sorted out. (He did host both the US and Canadian Deal or No Deal, but the Got Talent shows do take more time so we'll see)

My wishlist for others involved would probably include an east coaster; probably a 22 Minutes alumni but I'm not sure who I'd want, especially since I don't care much for most of the current 22 Minutes cast. Rick Mercer would be good to see, but it's not really his type of show.

Shania I could see as the musical judge; she'd probably be a good fit for this.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

My wishlist for others involved would probably include an east coaster; probably a 22 Minutes alumni but I'm not sure who I'd want, especially since I don't care much for most of the current 22 Minutes cast. Rick Mercer would be good to see, but it's not really his type of show.

Rick Mercer, if you ask me, would be much better as a host than a judge, but he's no doubt under contract to CBC. (The same with Jonathan Torrens (who would be my second choice) and TVTropolis. Okay, third after Andrew Younghusband, but he's no doubt too busy.)

Great to hear that they got Martin Short for the judge's table. He should definitely make it entertaining. Can't wait to hear who fills out the panel. I agree, Shania would be perfect, and I really hope they sign her. But who's gonna fill the third chair?

Sure, they could go with another entertainer, like Mary Walsh or Paul Gross, but it wouldn't surprise me if they go with an entertainment writer or reporter, who might not be as publicly known but would fit the Piers Morgan mold to a T. If that's the case, it's tough to say who they'd go with, but my pick would be either The Toronto Sun's Bill Harris or, if they really wanted to think outside the box, they could go with noted Toronto-area blogger Christopher Bird, aka MightyGodKing. He's already basically The Torontoist's resident entertainment reporter, with a weekly "What to Watch" feature every Monday, and has blogged about every episode of So You Think You Can Dance and SYTYCD Canada since I've been reading the blog. He'd actually be my first choice, but Harris is much more likely.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 5:54 PM

Rick Mercer as host would be great, but CBC probably has him locked up tight.

Andrew would probably be a bit too Snarky; good for the audience, not so great for the contestants. Plus he's probably tied up with Bell Global Media.

Johnathan of the choices you listed would probably be my best pick. He can be snarky sometimes, but he has a friendly attitude that would work well with the contestants I suspect. Plus TVTropolis is a Shaw/Rogers company which does own CityTV, so they can probably hook him up contractwise easier than the other two.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

Jann Arden would be awesome - she's fantasticly snarky. I'd also like the movie review guy from Canada AM; another witty snarker and intellectual too.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 12:20 AM

Jann Arden, that's who I was trying to remember. She'd be a good judge. Especially if they can do a site intro throwing her off (with a bungee cord) something very high at the city. :) Her stunts with Rick have always been a hoot.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 4:14 AM

For some reason, I thought that CityTV was with Bell. Forgot it was part of the remnants of the ChumCity empire that didn't get snatched up by them.

I was trying to think of a good second choice for Shaniah, and Jann Arden would be perfect. And thanks for suggesting her. I was this close to suggesting Celine Dion. *shudder*

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:44 PM

The Host and the rest of the judges have been announced. And no offense to them, but reading it, I have to say "Who?" We'll see how they interact on screen with the contestants, but IMO this probably doesn't bode too well.

The judges will be Martin Short, opera singer Measha Brueggergosman and songwriter Stephan Moccio.

The host will be Dina Pugliese of Citytvís Breakfast Television team in Toronto

toomuchtv47

toomuchtv47

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 11:43 AM

The Toronto emails letting everyone know if they made it were supposed to be sent on the 31st of October. They've now been pushed back a week and will be going out on the 7th of November. God, it's been enough of a wait already now another week. Apparently there was so much talent in Toronto that they needed more time to decide. I'm not sure if that's true but that's what they're telling everyone.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:12 AM

It started last night, with the first of the Toronto tryout shows.

All in all, an interesting mix of talent, though they seemed a bit eager to let everyone through; but that seemed to be an editing thing.

I'm still getting used to the judge's personalities, but no one is jarring me too much. None of them seem quick on the buzzer, but at the same time they all seem to have acts they're willing to let keep going even with 2 X's.

Overall the talent seems a bit less refined than what we see on AGT but we'll see how Calgary goes tonight and the rest of the tryouts.

The ep itself seemed to run fast, but I think that was because I'm used to AGT's 2 cities per 2 hour show, and not this 1 city in 1 hour show.

The prize includes the chance to (co)star in a Vegas show, which should be interesting to see what that means. Will it be the Top 10 in a 1 or 2 night show on the Strip, or will there be an AGT/CGT combined show coming up later or what?

Finally, I'm curious now.... Did they actually have the Tim's Rroller cups on the judge tables during the tryouts, or did they just have green cups that they could CGI replace in the final editing?

And Calgary is behind us now... After bringing us the Cute Kid act, the Opera act (with bonus youth element) and the Sinatra singer. To be fair though, all 3 acts were worth going forward, but are not really worth the top prize. The kid's fiddling was a bit simple IMO (not to diss him too much, he is only 7), and the Sinatra singer was a bit flat at some points in the song.

The Native hoop dancer was good, and I can see him going further easily. Ditto for the mountain biker for the thrill act category.

The cross dressing impressionist should be good for the next few rounds too. I'm glad they cut out Stephen's Xing him. (You could see his X was lit in some of the further shots); he was better than the first impressionist by far, and seems to have fun doing the act. Very quick to reacting to Martin.

Initial ratings are looking good too; with a 1.5 million Canucks watching the first Toronto ep.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

I love the Got Talent shows, but haven't been able to fully watch this yet. I did catch some auditions and thought, oh great, we already have plucked-from-poverty-Sinatra-guy and unexpected-opera-singer slots filled.

I do hope that novelty acts have more success here than on AGT, where singers always win.

Also wonder about the car prize, worth $100,000. Nice prize, but what if the winners are a team of two or five or 40? They have to split one car?

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Hopefully there's a cash equivalent they can get instead; if not it'll go on EBay I'm sure. :)

Oh and how could I forget the 1 novelty act that DIDN'T get through... Fat Matt, the world's uhm... largest contortionist. It was incredible that he could make it through the hula hoop like that, but between what he wore and what he did... let's just say what has been seen can't be unseen.

Speaking of hula hoop's, there can't be a hula hoop left in Crappy Tire across the country, with all the acts that are using them this year. :)

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

What is it about Canadian adaptation of these franchise shows that they frequently seem to follow the same formula?

Sole female host, usually blond, who talks far too much in voiceovers (the one on So You Think You Can Dance Canada is the worst one with that), at least 2 judges nobody has ever heard of, straight theme music rip (in this case from the UK version), etc.?

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I don't think that's a Canadian adaptation. All the _____'s Got Talent shows in other countries have three judges, usually one woman (in the middle) and two men. Same with the Idol versions in other countries. And one of the judges has to be sarcastic and harsh, the Simon Cowell. It's just the way it is.

Yes, I realize that Canadian Idol had four judges (that's why I said most and not all shows), but they still followed the AI formula of sarcastic white guy, skinny white woman, heavy black guy. CI just had nerdy fourth guy too.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

I wasn't talking about the number of judges, or their mannerisms. I didn't even mention those things.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Just watching Vancouver now... Got another kid singer. Not bad, but just don't like that pressure normally. We also got a kite flyer, which was neat to see to be honest. Oh and our first official dance group, but it looks like more got flash-accepted in the middle.

I do like the judges. None of them are particularly nasty, and they seem to enjoy the acts, even if they decide not to bring them on. Martin is Howie-lite, which is a good thing IMO. Enough zaniness to add some randomness, but not too much.

Oh and our first real quirky act... the Lumberjacks. Loved that Miesha kept the piece marked with M they cut out for her.

And then there was the Peg. Good showing there. Some fun acts, like that one from the Philippines. I am surprised there wasn't a Ukrainian dance group there; but maybe it was an auto advance.

IMO, Diamond Lil should've advanced. She wouldn't have won (likely) but everyone enjoyed her show, and she was a fun comedy singer (in the proud prairie tradition). Quick on her feet too with the zingers and a fantastic personality.

Edited by Taeolas, Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:29 PM.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

at least 2 judges nobody has ever heard of

I have heard of all the judges and am quite familiar with their work.

I'd rather have judges who know how to judge than have ones who are there just because of their name.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

So far, I've only gotten the chance to watch the Toronto auditions but I like it so far. In the first twenty minutes, I wasn't sure how I'd like it but for me, it seems like these judges are nicer and more open to listen to acts. It also seems like just in the first episode, they try to bring on talented or semi talented acts (opera douche guy aside). It's not like they bring on horrible acts just so the judges can make fun of them.

Plus, the judges all seem to really be close with each other. They're hugging each other and greeting everybody like they've all been friends for ages, instead of judges that just go sit down and nod at each other in greeting.

So far, I don't really have a favourite act, except for that woman and her dog. And I'm glad to see there aren't a heapful of singers.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I agree, as I mentioned above. The judges seem to get along well with eachother, and seem to really enjoy the acts. Often on AGT I get annoyed when they cut to the judge's reaction shots because the judges are just sitting there; but when they cut to the CGT judges shots, you see Measha hugging Stephan, swaying/dancing to the music, Martin cracking up with the act, etc.... They are actually reacting and seem to be reacting honestly and having a good time.

They also generally seem to be giving real reviews. Except for the true fodder acts, they are giving true reactions and advice to the acts, whether they succeed or not. (It is surprising sometimes when they give a lot of positive comments about an act but don't bring it to the next round though).

As for the show itself, my PVR is listing one of the Sunday shows as a "Halifax, Vancouver Part 2 auditions" which is worrying to me. With all of the Maritimes to draw from, couldn't they have found enough acts for a full hour show? Especially when you consider the amount of talent that has come out of this ~4-5million person population base. Anne Murray, the Rankins, Rick Mercer, 22 Minutes, Great Big Sea, Ron James, to name but a very tiny few. *sigh*

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Halifax got ripped off. We should've had a full hour. :( That said we did have some good ones go through from there, and a few questionable ones (Playing SPOONS?), but overall good.

Had to laugh about playing Plasket's "Nowhere with you" since for the past month or so (ended on Friday), Halifax Transit was on strike, so the Dartmouth Ferry wasn't taking anyone anywhere. :)

At least we got some some Magicians in now. Some not as polished as others, but that's to be expected. A number of dancing groups, cloggers, tappers, etc... too. No jugglers yet; closest we had was the Jamaican bowl spinner which was interesting to see.

Three of the highlights between the two shows (Toronto 2 and Coast to Coast)... The board breaker who talked the judges into letting him continue on. Considering they let the Lumberjacks throuhg, the board breaker should've been a given.. But he should've brought a little more than boards for the opening.

Second highlight was Boylesque. I was impressed at their choreography and roaring at their audacity... Loved how Stephen was in the rough spot for that, and yielded to the audience. No way in hell would Piers have done that. ESPECIALLY not for Boylesque. :)

Third was the last guy, Six Pack of course. A good strongman is great to see; and having one with that much heart was worth it. 1200$ for Juvie Diabetes didn't hurt either.

Honourable mention for the two groups of Sword fighters too. Especially the first guy with the sword swinging while blindfolded.

I really hope Halifax will still get a full ep, but considering there isn't a City TV station here any more (ASN became CTV2 down here), I'm doubtful of it. :(

MoxyMissi

MoxyMissi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Is there a place to watch any of the shows in the US or an American channel that rebroadcasts the episodes? A friend of mine auditioned in Toronto, and I can't watch it on the CGT website because I'm not in Canada. (I'm in Western NY, so that should still count, but noooo) His name is Alfie Smith and he's a fantastic blues musician.