Things that Donít Make Sense: Karen Who?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

142 replies to this topic

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:48 PM

And you'd think the girl would have at least taken the vital magical vacuum tube with her! Or maybe at least warned them that their signals could get messed with in a bad way. Oh, will the laziness of the writing ever stop reaching new heights?

Makes sense to me! And to answer your second question, probably not - sense they've been rewarded with another season to continue the mediocrity!

So Pope showed everyone how one super bullet blew a hole clean through a mech. Then they engage one and blow through most of their super ammo taking it down.

I had a big problem with that. What was the purpose of blowing all the ammo on one Mech? Oh, right - to create a false sense of urgency in order to engage the plot contrivance of the Frequency-Block Save.

Edited by Make It So, Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:49 PM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:53 PM

I get a good laugh at the concept that a bunch of harnessed kids can collect enough stuff the help the aliens build their tower. The alien base looks like it's over a thousand feet high (with huge cantilevered arms) and for comparison the Empire State Building has almost sixty thousand tons of steel in it. Those kids look like they're collecting about as much metal as a Girl Scout troop on a bottle drive.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

The alien base looks like it's over a thousand feet high

I still want to know who put it together. Was there a blueprint or did they just wing it? The skitters don't seem coordinated enough to do construction and obviously the moppets have no training, besides their obvious lethargic zombie pacing would slow any building site down when you consider union tradesmen as the alternative...

akh

akh

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

This show is one of those kind that get worse the more you think about them... If you just watch with half your brain turned off it's somewhat entertaining, but if you actually start thinking...plot holes you could drive a Peterbilt through. Like:

The fact it took close to 300 rounds of the special Mech bullets to take out one mech.

No alien ever seems to hear this fleet of buzzing dirt bikes.

Tom the 40-yr old history prof manages to subdue a 2-tour vet from the 10 Mtn Division singlehandedly.

The whole Ben and Rick were harnessed longer tripe. The invasion was only six months ago...the kid to Skitter transformation appears to be pretty slow, how much difference can a couple weeks or month make?

Tom, never having fired an RPG in his life, can make a 1 in a trillion shot to hit a ship 1000' in the air. Oh...and the RPG has been clad in Mech metal and no one has a clue if it would even fly striaght or not.

Hopefully, the writing will improve for Season 2. I kind of get the vibe that they didn't expect this to be more than a mini-series and had to massively (and quickly) re-write the last couple episodes.
Director - "Shelve the climactic victory over the aliens, I need a cliffhanger Stat!"
Writer - "How about the aliens confront the remaining Massholes at the end"
Spielberg (wandering by) - "Hey, how about Tom goes into one of the alien ships like the end of my classic Close Enounters..."

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

Director - "Shelve the climactic victory over the aliens, I need a cliffhanger Stat!"
Writer - "How about the aliens confront the remaining Massholes at the end"
Spielberg (wandering by) - "Hey, how about Tom goes into one of the alien ships like the end of my classic Close Enounters..."

That sounds exactly how it might've gone!

Accord64

Accord64

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 6:21 AM

I had a big problem with that. What was the purpose of blowing all the ammo on one Mech? Oh, right - to create a false sense of urgency in order to engage the plot contrivance of the Frequency-Block Save.

The 'Frequency-Block Save' contrivance was created because they simply didn't have near the budget to shoot the crap out of more than one mech.

Notice how the attacks that the prior episodes had been building up to were fought off screen? What a cheat! I think of how modestly funded Sci-Fi shows like Stargate Atlantis and BSG can pulled of some nicely done CGI battles, and then wonder if Spielberg is really that short of money? He probably wasted it on all the hugs.

Elysiannn

Elysiannn

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 7:28 AM

What didn't make sense to me was Tom taking the automatic weapon with him on the ship. Granted the alien overlords know the kind of armory we have but that just didn't track for me. I would of given it to Weaver. And then hug Weaver goodbye and ask that he look out for Hal, Ben and Matt - "but don't you hit on Dr. Anne!"

Grindhouse

Grindhouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:11 AM

So, with our aliens: Interstellar travel? Check. Advanced weaponry able to decimate the military might and disable the computers of an entire planet? Check. Parasites/devices that can completely control other beings and transform them into a completely different being? Check. Somebody in the Alien Overlord Research Department really needs to look into that pesky 'radio signal' issue, though. - Make It So

This sums up my thoughts on the matter. With that advanced technology and so much hardware (how many mechs, aircraft, skitters are deployed world-wide?) radio-frequency (RF) technology seems quite unsuitable. If you are capable of interstellar travel, you'd think they would have solved the quantum communication problem as well (Ansible). The delays in transmission alone would cause problems, never mind the bandwidth and transmission limitations. Maybe they've re-purposed our cell towers just like the aliens in Independence Day did with our satellites.

I think I would have hired a technical advisor, or at least talked to one of the crew technicians, about basic wireless technology. In particular, using the flagpole as an antenna was laugh-out-loud stupid. Same with using the car chassis as an antenna.

Production Gaffe: In the finale, when Professor Vacuum-Tube was tuning the radio you could clearly see the wires coming out of the back were clipped and not plugged in to anything (generator, antenna, extension cord, etc).

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

I'm sorry, but I still can't get over magical Lourdes. "Oh, I was a freshman/pre-med. Just kidding! I was totally in medical school. Oops, did I mention I'm just a teenager? But I swear, I really was in med school for a year!" Argh.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

I canít figure out if her first mention of being in pre-med was a mistake on the writersí part, or if they changed their mind about the schooling sheís had after that. Ever since then, sheís said sheís had a year of med school, and sheís displayed knowledge that seems to track with that. Whatever the reason was, it was sloppy writing.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

I'm sorry, but I still can't get over magical Lourdes. "Oh, I was a freshman/pre-med. Just kidding! I was totally in medical school. Oops, did I mention I'm just a teenager? But I swear, I really was in med school for a year!" Argh.

Well, it doesn't really matter, because Anne told her she's basically a doctor now, thanks to sewing up a few cuts and bandaging them. So I expect we'll see her performing open heart surgery sometime early in season 2.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

I canít figure out if her first mention of being in pre-med was a mistake on the writersí part, or if they changed their mind about the schooling sheís had after that. Ever since then, sheís said sheís had a year of med school, and sheís displayed knowledge that seems to track with that. Whatever the reason was, it was sloppy writing.

Not that I'm an expert either, but I was going with the assumption that the writers aren't really sure how pre-med/med school works. Even after seemingly settling on that she's in medical school, they still have her getting squicked out during the autopsy in What Hides Beneath. That wouldn't have bothered me except she then says something about how her class was still doing basic anatomy and cadaver research was second year. As far as I've ever heard, Anatomy is usually a first-year class in med school and it comes with dissections. At my college, even the undergraduate version of Anatomy had cadavers in the lab (though we only worked with them, we didn't perform the actual dissections). I could be completely off-base, but her statement seemed weird.

NurseJenniffer

NurseJenniffer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:53 PM

Speaking of the medical topics, was there really not ONE nurse or m.a. in that whole group of people? Surely there's got to be someone more qualified then whatever the hell Lourdes is. I'm not a doctor, but a simple ER rotation gets more experience in real life situations then she did in her short school life. Seriously, it doesn't take but a day to teach any half intelligent person to start iv's or do sutures. They should be taking a lot of able bodied people and teaching them these simple things for the future.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

• Interests:Child welfare and social reform

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

But didn't Lourdes specifically tell Jimmy that she was a student at Wellesley? Maybe I'm not remembering that scene correctly? Maybe she said she graduated Wellesley? And she was also in the group of kids that left the school to trek to the farmhouse for "safety" when Clayton told his big lie. If Lourdes is 20 or under, she's advanced for her age to be an actual medical school student finishing out her first year.

No big deal; just a puzzlement.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

But didn't Lourdes specifically tell Jimmy that she was a student at Wellesley? Maybe I'm not remembering that scene correctly? Maybe she said she graduated Wellesley? And she was also in the group of kids that left the school to trek to the farmhouse for "safety" when Clayton told his big lie. If Lourdes is 20 or under, she's advanced for her age to be an actual medical school student finishing out her first year.

She's one of the show's top chameleons -- she can be whatever age or class or degree of experience that an episode calls for. Personally, I think she should hook up with Jimmy since they seem emotionally age appropriate.

Elysiannn

Elysiannn

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

Earlier someone asked why the civilians keep wanting to shoot Ben. Well, it's obviously, all the Mason men are God's Gift to the Resistance. Also, Ben can jump-rope for 3 hours straight - it's making the other men feel inferior. And regarding Maggie loathing Pope - she ought to thank him. He did save her. I don't recall what she said that first episode she was in about Pope's gang picking up the her and kids and offering them candy or something. Either kill him because he raped or allowed you to be raped or get off the attitude chick. Without Pope - the 2nd Mass would already be a stat.

distantWatcher

distantWatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:01 PM

Speaking of the medical topics, was there really not ONE nurse or m.a. in that whole group of people? Surely there's got to be someone more qualified then whatever the hell Lourdes is.

That's what I was thinking: Why all the nurses and paramedics were killed and only the Doctors survived the invasion? Its not plausible, in my opinion.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

The 'Frequency-Block Save' contrivance was created because they simply didn't have near the budget to shoot the crap out of more than one mech.

But that was only because the single pistol shot to what looked like the brain area didn't kill. They wanted to save time. Otherwise you could have had Maggie controlling single shots of the few precious armor piercing bullets as the Mech squad fought the 2nd Mass guard force.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

My theory on Lourdes and her status as a Wellesley freshman vs. 1st year med student is that it's a retcon. The writers decided they needed her to be a bit closer to being an actual doctor, so they changed her age mid-way through the season.

On the ineffectiveness of the mech bullets -- is it possible that the mechs, in addition to being made of super-metal, have some kind of forcefield that helps absorb damage? If so, it would make sense that a bullet would blow a hole in a dead mech (because the forcefield is dead) while a whole barrage of bullets would be needed to take down a live mech.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

But they never changed her age. Even after bumping her up to medical student, they still kept her with the "under 20" crowd. Her backstory is a mess.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

My theory on Lourdes and her status as a Wellesley freshman vs. 1st year med student is that it's a retcon. The writers decided they needed her to be a bit closer to being an actual doctor, so they changed her age mid-way through the season.

I think she's been lying her skinny ass off and needs to go to confession pronto!

IIRC the show has had her change her tune, status, and age several times when it's convenient for the plot. Why did she join the under-twenty Kiddie March of Doom? Med school means graduating from college at age 22 plus the semester or year before the invasion. She's done anatomy, she hasn't, or she has but not with real cadavers, etc. She magically knows the correct heart rate for a fetus in utero. Yet neither she nor her mentor, Doctor Annie, can complete an entire autopsy on their precious alien specimen to figure out "what hides beneath". And now she's been promoted into her residency due to serving in field hospital capacity. Next season, she'll be forty and hanging out at M*A*S*H*, drinking and tossing out some black wartime humor while elbow-deep in blood.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

My theory on Lourdes and her status as a Wellesley freshman vs. 1st year med student is that it's a retcon. The writers decided they needed her to be a bit closer to being an actual doctor, so they changed her age mid-way through the season.-LTG

That is possible but I have a feeling that the writers are just not keeping track of what they are writing. In addition, if Lourdes is a med student (and not pre-med) then why would she marched to the "Kiddie Farm of Doom" with the rest of the potential harness wears (this also brings up another question, what is the age rang for being harness and how would the Skitters know what humans are the correct ages)? Are they trying to make Lourdes into some teen age genius?

Edited by TVspectator, Aug 12, 2011 @ 8:28 PM.

mythoughtis

mythoughtis

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

Lourdes seems pretty religious.... maybe she was homeschooled, got her GED at 16, took College Plus classes, and jumped into med school somehow at 18? It's either that or she's actually 25, but so in lust with Hal that she pretends to be 19 so that it won't be called cradle robbing when she sleeps with the 19 (oh, excuse me) 16 year old Hal.

I watch this show in spite of the stupid writers..