Things that Donít Make Sense: Karen Who?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

142 replies to this topic

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

It seems like we need a place for all the things that do not make sense in this show. We're all about saving the kids! Except that young Karen, a named character, got captured by the Skitters and the show seems to have completely forgotten she exists. Hal is 20. No wait, he's 16! Lourdes is pre-med. No wait, she's a medical student. When Pope's big showdown happened, lighting a flare at night would get incoming ships there in seconds to blow you to smithereens with futuristic bombs. Now, the characters have firefights at night with nary a care. After the missions, Maggie is inexplicably clean and pretty, while Tom is inexplicably filthy and sweaty.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

I wonder if Karen has gotten the old sitcom write-out, or if there a big reveal coming up where she comes back. Because otherwise, her erasure from the script is making no sense.

Perhaps this was addressed in an ep and I missed it, but what was done about all the destroyed people? Were they (conveniently) obliterated into nonexistence? Or did the survivors have time for mass burials/cremations in amidst fighting for their lives? (Sorry to be morbid, but would like to know.)

Hal being written as a 16 y/o while the actor playing him has crows feet and five o'clock shadow. No sense.

Skitters and Mechs making Human Exchange deals, when they could pretty much crush and take what they want.

Early on, any gunfire, flares, whathaveyou could trigger the sensitive surveillance of the aliens and cause them to blast away at your position. Perhaps that was too limiting for the storyline and the characters, so now that's been forgotten and they can walk and yell and shoot with reckless abandon.

Just a few, my actual list would be way too long. (Still hanging in there with the show - for now.)

Edited by Make It So, Jul 20, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

Elysiannn

Elysiannn

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

And why have Lourdes named Lourdes and be all about spirituality. Truly if it had been only 6 months, I don't think those left alive would want to join her Halleujah chorus. She really bugs me. And I'm hoping Megan gets her next. Ely

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 3:58 PM

Lourdes is pre-med. No wait, she's a medical student.

I really think she's a liar. Her story doesn't make much sense, and Jimmy kept poking holes in it.

Karen will make them rue the day they forgot about her.

Accord64

Accord64

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

It seems like we need a place for all the things that do not make sense in this show.

I have the feeling that this is the start of a very long topic.

The first major thing that doesn't make sense to me is how Tom got to be in his position. He's shown me nothing but how inept he is. Maybe it's like corporate management?

I know it was framed as a probing attack, but I'm puzzled why only one Mech attacked the school. One fly-by could have established that JFK was occupied (just look for all the sentries standing in plain sight on the roof), and a few Mechs with support could have easily overwhelmed them. Why make deals with sleazy humans when you have such overwhelming military superiority?

What happened to the billions of people that had to die before the show picked up? There should be bodies all over the place.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 6:15 PM

It might not be such a bad thing if in Karen's next appearance she's this uber-powerful alien-human hybrid bent on exacting revenge upon her former compatriots who have forgotten that she'd ever existed. Sorry, my mind is bad.

The first major thing that doesn't make sense to me is how Tom got to be in his position. He's shown me nothing but how inept he is. Maybe it's like corporate management?

I think the show is trying to drill into our skulls that in spite of the fact that Tom is an 'intellectual', he has Heart and Gumption.

Perhaps the scene with Jimmy and Lourdes was meant to show us that she's being less than forthcoming about herself. I mean, there had to be some reason for that piece of dialogue. It couldn't have been just useless chatter that happened to contradict other chatter. Right? Should I give the writers so much credit as to have a deeper meaning behind their dialogue...

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

I really think she's a liar. Her story doesn't make much sense, and Jimmy kept poking holes in it.

I believe what buggs me the most its the background they are building up for Maggie: I get that she was raped, I get that she survived an alien invasion but when you add that she had cancer, on top of being raped, on top of surviving an alien invasion, on top of building credibility as "one of Weaver's boys" on top of her history with Pope and so on it's just one thing too many in my humble opinion.

Edited by pretoriantoo, Jul 20, 2011 @ 6:59 PM.

Elisende

Elisende

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

Perhaps this was addressed in an ep and I missed it, but what was done about all the destroyed people?

Apparently, the humans were rounded up into camps outside the cities and THEN exterminated. All nice and tidy. I like neatness in an alien invasion. In fact, maybe that explains the scrap metal round-up as well: the aliens are neatniks.

The mystery I want solved is: who is tailoring the clothes for the harnessed kids? The harnesses apparently bond to skin, despite being entirely visible down the back. If the clothing was ripped to fit around the harness, why doesn't it bag in the front?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 1:42 AM

I read that not so much as a continuity problem, or that Lourdes was being a bit shady, but just that she was awarding herself a battlefield promotion. Anyone she would be treating would be more comfortable being treated by a med student than a pre-med. Of course, they have four episodes to prove me wrong.

The mystery I want solved is: who is tailoring the clothes for the harnessed kids? The harnesses apparently bond to skin, despite being entirely visible down the back. If the clothing was ripped to fit around the harness, why doesn't it bag in the front?

Iíve been watching that, too. From the beginning, there appeared to be no way for the harnessed kids to change their shirts without cutting them off. And as you said, tailoring them right back on the kids. No wonder they look so grubby.

Cowgunner

Cowgunner

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

Why is there a 13 year old kid as a fighter and a crap ton of adult aged mopes wandering around camp complaining about food? If I where in charge using kids as soldiers is a last/desperate measure when I have nothing else to send in to the meat grinder. Good God I know that there is a limited amount of guns and ammo, but you can train basic shooting skills and infantry tactics without expending live ammo, and if your an able bodied adult in my camp your going to learn how to fight/survive, that is not an optional elective.

Homo_Sapien

Homo_Sapien

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 7:59 AM

Also: Ben was taken because he was over at a friend's house when the aliens struck.. But then he had an argument with Hal the day his mother left to get supplies and was killed.
So the family is on the run, Ben's mother is killed by aliens, and Tom lets Ben go over to a friend's house for a play-date ?!

It would be (somewhat) understandable if the producers couldn't get their facts straight after five seasons. But all this within 5 episodes?

I just wonder why the actors aren't catching the mistakes. They have to rehearse the lines. Wouldn't Noah Wyle say "hey, why am I saying Hal is 16 when I said he was 17 last week?" "Why am I building barricades when I've been dodging alien aircraft?"

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out : The humans don't seem to have a plan. The aliens don't seem to have a plan. And the writers don't seem to have a plan...

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

I read that not so much as a continuity problem, or that Lourdes was being a bit shady, but just that she was awarding herself a battlefield promotion. Anyone she would be treating would be more comfortable being treated by a med student than a pre-med. Of course, they have four episodes to prove me wrong.

But that would still be a straight up lie. As a freshman pre-med, she'd have maybe taken a bio/chem class. She'd be putting patients in more danger if Anne thinks she's more qualified than she is. Maybe she does have medical experience, but she wouldn't have gotten it from one year of undergrad.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

It would actually be refreshing if she were lying. At least that would make a story. Sadly, I can't give the writing that much credit.

I really need to see some of the invasion going down. The crayola back story did not do it for me.

Elisende

Elisende

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 2:56 PM

I read that not so much as a continuity problem, or that Lourdes was being a bit shady, but just that she was awarding herself a battlefield promotion.

I read that as the writers not knowing the difference between a pre-med and a medical student. If it turns out she's shady, that would be interesting.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 5:19 AM

I read that as the writers not knowing the difference between a pre-med and a medical student. If it turns out she's shady, that would be interesting.

That was my thought as well. I kind of feel that if these writers wanted a character to act shady, they'd have them do the shifty, 'narrowed eyes glancing from side to side' move. Anything else would be too subtle.

I wondered about Lourdes' chat with Jimmy, where she did come off a little sketchy, but it seemed like that was due to her "where the people lost their faith" bit, rather than actually being dishonest about her past.

Also: Ben was taken because he was over at a friend's house when the aliens struck.. But then he had an argument with Hal the day his mother left to get supplies and was killed.
So the family is on the run, Ben's mother is killed by aliens, and Tom lets Ben go over to a friend's house for a play-date ?!

That jumped out at me as a glaring error as well. I could forgive the initial "mom died when she was out to get groceries" thing, because it was Matt's account, and it felt like the sort of glossing over a kid might do, or perhaps his lack of understanding about the situation. But this was just careless. Or maybe Matt was also the one who said that Ben had been at a friend's house, and it's another case of him 'normalizing' what happened. Still doesn't explain where Ben actually was when he got Skittered, though.

Hal seems to be getting younger, which is odd. Especially considering the actor they hired is actually only 15 years younger than Noah Wyle. There is now way that the guy can play a 16 year old. 18 or 19? Sure, just about conceivable.

Accord64

Accord64

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 11:17 AM

A question that came up from another topic. If all the military bases were supposed to be wiped out in the initial attacks, why was there a National Guard Armory still standing (where they met Pope & Co.)?

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

I agree that they are laying it on too thick with Maggie's backstory. I mean, we get it - she's had a hard knock life! This is overkill. It almost looks as if the writers keep adding more problematic backstory, forgetting the problems they've previously given her.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

why was there a National Guard Armory still standing?

Forgive my ignorance, but does that count as a major military base? Aren't the Guard more or less on standby, able to be called up at any time? I still have no idea how long the initial invasion took, given the Crayola version we were told by some children, so that leaves critical info rather vague. I've given up trying to make sense of What Happened to the Military. OK, yeah, they were all instantly vaporized and we have none to left to count on to protect us and effectively lead -- I get it.

Plus in my area, we have castle-like decommisioned armories which have been converted to Trader Joe's and other stores.

Accord64

Accord64

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but does that count as a major military base? Aren't the Guard more or less on standby, able to be called up at any time?

I suppose they come in many shapes and sizes. I don't recall the show giving us a good look at the outside of the Armory (which is a fictitious one BTW), so it's hard to see what attention it might have initially drawn. There is a NG armory in nearby Nashua NH located off a main road. I've passed by it for many years and always saw a parking lot of military vehicles and a row of large cannons parked at the side and back (in plain sight of the road). There's also a larger armory in Worcester that has even more equipment.

I know there's a lot that likely occurred leading up the the starting point of the show, but it seems to me if the aliens passed these armory's over in favor of the larger military bases, then maybe the Militias should be better armed than they are?

Edited by Accord64, Jul 23, 2011 @ 5:40 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Plus in my area, we have castle-like decommisioned armories which have been converted to Trader Joe's and other stores.

Most National Guard Armories serve a company sized unit say 50 to 300 soldiers depending upon the type of unit. Most have their trucks and personal weapons but the heavy gear is often stored somewhere else like a Guard training camp or regular army fort. Maybe hings have changed because of the Rodney King riots but the Guardsman who made it to their armories early in the riot had to sit a wait as the Guard tried to move ammunition from the storage magazines to the armories in the city. A few years ago a M60 tank was stolen from an armory so there has been a move to take away the single vehicle, (tank, Infantry fighting vehicle, self propelled gun) which stayed at the armories for local training.

Elisende

Elisende

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

Ben was taken because he was over at a friend's house when the aliens struck.. But then he had an argument with Hal the day his mother left to get supplies and was killed.

I had kind of wondered if maybe Ben left because of his argument with Hal. But, then I thought: no, if there was a chance to show Hal all angsty and guilt-ridden, wouldn't the writers have used it?

I mean, we get it - she's had a hard knock life!

And now I'm going to have the soundtrack from Oliver! lodged in my brain for the rest of the day. :)

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

Ben was taken because he was over at a friend's house when the aliens struck.. But then he had an argument with Hal the day his mother left to get supplies and was killed.

I tend to think the writers don't want us keeping track of such mundane details, because obviously they aren't too concerned about them. Maybe sleepovers were still SOP during the massive world-wide invasion along with skateboard practice.

KnitTzu

KnitTzu

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 5:34 PM

I agree that the writers simply don't know that "pre-med" and "medical student" aren't the same thing.

On the topic of the military being wiped out: how did the aliens know where to strike? Did they have a map? And if they could locate military bases with such ease, why didn't they target the local high schools and pick them clean before wiping out most of humanity? For that matter, how were they able to kill off all the smart people and leave us with these boring, clueless dolts? I can forgive a lot, Skitters, but for this you're on notice.

Where is the fresh water coming from? Considering how clean these people are, they must be going through an incredible amount of it.

And what are they doing for waste disposal? Without indoor plumbing, a group of people that size is going to create a reeking, disease-breeding toxic mess in no time at all. Good thing they have limitless antibiotics on hand!

...and apparently no shortage of narcotic drugs either, as they can afford to pump each teen full to the brim without any hesitation or discussion.

...and none of the teens suffer withdrawal from or addiction to the massive amounts of morphine pumped into their veins, either. I guess withdrawal and addiction are only problems that afflict gross degenerate people, not our bright and shining chiiiildrun.

Why is this makeshift military willing to support so many useless adults? Even if they're unwilling to fire a gun at the aliens who almost wiped out humanity, aren't there more useful things they could be doing than hugging, praying, complaining, and gazing adoringly at moppets? Hauling in fresh water, for example. Or searching all the local houses and stores for their seemingly inexhaustible stores of canned food, candles, gasoline, drugs, etc?

Why is everyone okay with a young teen on the front lines while they sit around moping in front of the Wall of Missing Babies?

Has anyone given a second thought to what they're going to do when the canned food runs out? Maybe some of those idle adults could start a garden?

Why am I so completely on the Skitters side?
Go team Skitters!

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 6:27 PM

Has anyone given a second thought to what they're going to do when the canned food runs out? Maybe some of those idle adults could start a garden?

I asked this question weeks ago!

I think writing about all these practical matters would make this show much more interesting. Why aren't the people collecting wood (because they will eventually need fires for warmth during a winter in New England)? Why haven't they been learning/teaching survival skills? How about building something, anything? Even "Survivor" contestants could teach these idiots a thing or two. Where's Boston Rob?

Edited by Auntie Anxiety, Jul 24, 2011 @ 6:28 PM.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 7:33 PM

Even "Survivor" contestants could teach these idiots a thing or two. Where's Boston Rob?

Ahhh yes! Bring on the Rahbfatha! Brilliant stunt casting that would be.
Unfortunately, most of this show brings to mind Big Brother rather than Survivor. Not a good comparison.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 2:10 AM

I agree that the writers simply don't know that "pre-med" and "medical student" aren't the same thing.

So Lourdes is officially under 20. *headdesk* This is just plain stupid. How can we trust anything the writers tell us at all?

Oh, and they're down to only a dozen under 20. What happened to all the precious kiddies in the previous episodes? Lost them already? Maybe the other parents didn't buy into Tom's decision to idiotically send them off. There probably would have been a riot after they found out what really happened.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 4:50 AM

1. Why is Ricky acting like he is not human and more like a zombie Skitter, while Ben stills considers himself a human and is acting lively?

2. What happened to Karen (I may not fully like her but I am getting annoyed that the writers seemed to have forgotten about her).

3. Why are there so many teenage girls falling head over heels in love with Hal?

Edited by TVspectator, Jul 25, 2011 @ 4:52 AM.

Shades of Red

Shades of Red

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 5:21 AM

Okay, this is just officially starting to piss me off about Karen. There was a published interview where Noah Wyle said that she'd be back, and imDB said that she'd be back for this one, and…nothing. I've been looking forward to her return for weeks! Never mind that I quite liked her character—the actress playing her, Jessy Schram, in addition to being ridiculously pretty, is also REALLY talented. (Some might remember her guest appearances on Without a Trace about three or four years ago, and The Mentalist this past season.) Are we really supposed to believe that Hal wouldn't be interrogating Ben, who dragged her off when she was last seen, about her whereabouts???? Is she off the show or what?? I dig the show, but I dig it with Jessy Schram more. Free Karen!!!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 25, 2011 @ 8:51 AM.
Unnecessary spoiler tags

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

1. Why is Ricky acting like he is not human and more like a zombie Skitter, while Ben stills considers himself a human and is acting lively?

2. What happened to Karen (I may not fully like her but I am getting annoyed that the writers seemed to have forgotten about her).

3. Why are there so many teenage girls falling head over heels in love with Hal?

Why is that there are so many hot -blonde - teenage girls among the survivors to begin with, I reckon Lost had good looking people but at least the group was a lot more eclectic: Am I supposed to believe that on Falling Skies, every survivor just so happens to be a fairly good looking teenager around Hal's age?!

I don't believe that would even happen in his dreams.

Edited by pretoriantoo, Jul 25, 2011 @ 1:13 PM.

KnitTzu

KnitTzu

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 1:30 PM

I don't believe that would even happen in (Hal's) dreams.

I think you may have hit on the explanation for all of this: it's all Hal's dream. That explains why nothing makes a lick of sense, no one behaves rationally, no one has any sort of plan, and the skitters aren't even trying to kill them. It explains why Ben came back unharmed while Rick is a zombie, why the entire focus of the show is Hal's family hugs, and also why we have so many teen girls panting after boring Hal. It even explains the issues with his age -- he's actually a 30-year-old man living in daddy's basement, but in his dreams he's 16 again.