Selling L.A.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

180 replies to this topic

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

The episode of Valerie helping someone look for a house in the OC, the client looked very familiar, anyone know who she is? Looked like future RHWOC material.

aimistrue

aimistrue

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I really enjoyed seeing the properties they featured in the latest episode, especially the one Valerie listed. Gorgeous - and what a wine cellar with the "secret" passage.

I loved that one as well. I've found that I like the properties featured on SLA better than the ones on SNY.

For some reason I still prefer the NY properties. All of the L.A. houses seem big and characterless--almost as if having so much space to work with leads to less creativity in the design of the homes. It probably (for me) has something to do with the relative "youth" of the housing stock in most of L.A. vs. NYC as well, just as HHI touring houses 300 year old ruins overseas is just somehow more interesting then the unending stream of McMansions on HH. It just seems like the potential buyers, potential homes and L.A. realtors all seem equally flashy and dull on this show--a strange combination, to be sure. I'm sure it could have been done better.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Looked like future RHWOC material.

My thoughts exactly! She'll do a little "renovation" on herself and on whatever house she ends up with and apply to that show. Ugh. Too much "reality" TV for this girl! ;)

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

If it's the divorcee' looking in Newport Beach that you were referring to, Elliott - that wasn't Valerie. (Can't remember the other blonde agent's name right now, however.) Her client already had some work done but could use a new surgeon, IMHO. Knew she wasn't buying and not surprised when she couldn't afford the Mediterranean's monthly rent.

Happy to have avoided all of the RH of any city but must say - definitely wouldn't want to see her again. (Too funny that they don't have to be housewives, period!) Sounded very shallow - guess that means she'd fit right in. Anyone check her out?

WRT the various properties, we typically prefer the NY homes. We did love that Mediterranean and the infinity pool/spa. What's not to like there?

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Is HGTV's Beautiful Homes part of the farm system for Selling LA? Because the house Kennon showed the dentist this evening, with the windows in the floors, was on a recent episode. I didn't like it any better tonight than I did before!

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Noticed that on a previous episode, another property and had that same thought, IC! Have rarely seen BH but either they're the warm-up team or there's only so many $10M properties around that don't mind the inconvenience (and want the exposure) of hours of filming -

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I noticed the same thing with Beautiful Homes when they showed the house with the secret panel that opened up to a winding staircase down to a wine room. I thought, hey, I saw that on Selling LA.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Interesting as I knew the dentist was not going to be buying anything - unless he is selling something on the side, a practicing dentist - even in BH - isn't in the market for a $15 million estate.

On the other hand, I knew Daphna and her beau were serious buyers and no surprised that the deal actually closed. She's the ex of th guy who ran Arden which is a huge commercial RE developer and she must have come into serious money in the settlement although she does seem to have a very active philanthropic calendar. Rod Sherwood was until recently head of Westwood Radio and certainly could afford a $3.5 million house.

halsfan

halsfan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

a practicing dentist - even in BH - isn't in the market for a $15 million estate.

Wasn't that celebrity/Extreme Makeover cosmetic dentist Bill Dorfman? He makes a pile of money from television as well as "dentistry" so assume he can buy a pretty nice house if he's really in the market. Given westside LA traffic, I can understand why he wanted something close to his practice and the kids' schools.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

The his and her bathrooms kind of had me scratching my head. I mean, I get he can afford it and it's what he wants, but I'd love to know what he and his wife do in the bathroom the necessitates separate spaces.

I guess the child actor was on as another venue to sell herself.

Mr Two Bathrooms was hilarious with his demands. He is a pretty famous architectural designer who worked in sarasota during the 70's & 80's & was quite particular about his clients back then.

http://news.google.c...;pg=6818,287134

The child actor looked like she was auditioning for part in a play when she was visiting the homes. Her mom should not dress a 10 year old with very short shorts.

The dad is car dealer in chicago with numerous business interests.

Edited by oakville1969, Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:39 PM.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Forgot to mention from this week's episode... Glad to see Kennon getting in on the Audi/Selling NYC/LA endorsement action!

Squeezel

Squeezel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

InnerCanuck, I noticed that too! I was wondering why they showed him driving that car so prominently, then the Audi commercial came on. I still think it's odd that the car had a Michigan license plate. Couldn't they have stuck a prop/fake CA plate on the car Kennon was driving?

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Saw a Curbed-LA somewhere and it sounded as if a couple of the recent homes were literally across the street from each other. Possibly the $6M home, owned by the gambling/bookmaker expert and the guys' home with the secret wine room. Make sense to anyone out there? IIRC, the yards and pool set-up was very similar.

swissair100

swissair100

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Finally, new shows. I guess SNY is now shown Thurs evenings & SLA Fri evenings.

Valerie Fitzgerald & Kennon were featured...I love his frames.

Hmmm, $100k rent for that 10 bedroom place by American Idol. Wonder what the sale price would be ?...

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

Kennon Earl is the coolest & best dressed dude. If there ever was someone made for television it's him. Of couse, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing pink pants. I guess that's why he is on television and I'm not. LOL!! I didn't care too much for the houses though. A little too mid century & modern for my taste but it was still great seeing a new show. It makes the winter in Philly a little more barable.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

I was interested about the lotto winner so I googled him and he didn't actually win the lottery he married Cynthia Strafford after she won the lottery. So weird how it was presented.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

So that does sound like he won the lottery !

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 8:43 PM

I give her a decade before she is busted - 49 year old overweight woman marrying 35 fitness instructor - a real love match. And what moron rents a home for $250,000 a year when there is no economic reason to do so. Buy a home with cash and at least you will always have a roof over your head.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

And what moron rents a home for $250,000 a year when there is no economic reason to do so. Buy a home with cash and at least you will always have a roof over your head.

I could be mistaken, I thought the lottery winner (or the guy who married the lottery winner) was looking to rent a place for his business.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

I saw a new Selling LA and once again I'm amazed what you can get for 2 million. The one house was really nice with a great pool & movie theater. A lot of athletes were looking at it. Unfortunatly, the other story was about a woman having her feng shui guide/leader/guru/expert tag along & she was so annoying. I thought the realitor was going to kill the client & the feng shui person. She was able to get her to settle on a house but escrow was later cancelled. The realitor (pretty Asian woman) helped the client close on another property that met all of her Feng Shui needs. Oh, brother!!!! I'm on elf those people who doesn't believe or buy the feng shui stuff so I would been screaming if I had to deal with that crap. I guess that's why I'm not a realitor.

Edited by ByaNose, Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:26 PM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

I saw a new Selling LA and once again I'm amazed what you can get for 2 million.

It was, I thought, close to $3 million and it was in Agoura Hills which is quite a distance from Los Angeles and a horrendous commute. Homes are quite a bit less expensive out there if you don't mind being on the Ventura Freeway for 4 hours every day (assuming you work in Los Angeles).

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

Thanks for geography lesion, yslchyc. I didn't know how far it was from LA and wondered why it was so "cheap". It was still a beautiful house but I guess it's the old adage of location, location, location.

Edited by ByaNose, Mar 1, 2013 @ 10:56 PM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

I'd guesstimate Agoura Hills is technically about 45 minutes from downtown LA but add in commute traffic - fuhgeddaboutit.

How about the drive-in movie theater and parking lots out the window of the loft? Loved those cheapy plywood kitchen cabinets (not)! (Did hear, BTW, that she planned to gut the kitchen.) Can't believe escrow was supposedly cancelled, lol.

Wondered why the yoga woman didn't simply pay her feng-shui expert on an hourly basis to verify the N/S/E/W exposure in advance, saving her the time of touring listings. Oops, that would eliminate the show's drama -

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

I'd guesstimate Agoura Hills is technically about 45 minutes from downtown LA but add in commute traffic - fuhgeddaboutit.

I was basing it on realistic drive time. I had the misfortune to do a commute out that way and there was traffic ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Even on a weekend, one will now hit horrendous traffic on the Venture.

I got to the point where I was arriving at work at 6 AM with a 45 minute commute so that I could leave by 2 PM (with no lunch) so I wouldn't have to sit in traffic for two hours.

Traffic has escalated in Los Angeles because no no roads have been built in the past 20 or 30 years but the powers that be keep on developing. My friend spends 2 hours commuting from Santa Monica back home to Hollywood in the evening. Burbank coming over the Barham pass is another cluster fuck because office development was permitted in the Media District and the only way out is through a narrow pass.

Edited by yslchyc, Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:04 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Prefacing my remarks with apologies to those who take feng shui seriously, but, my goodness, I giggled through all the (in my opinion) hooey from the feng shui expert in the latest episode. All those references about spaces being bad or good for health, wealth, and so on..... I'm sorry, just no. I've heard feng shui being mentioned before, but this seemed so over the top ridiculous.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

Tried not to pay attention to the feng-shui woman. Sounded as if she found pros and cons with each home. So, select the one you prefer, right? At least that woman could have possibly walked over to a flea market at the drive-in on weekends out the door of that loft, haha!

Have worked at my employer's various locations everywhere, including LA, ysl, so definitely agree with your 2 hour estimate. The V-fwy also backs up on weekends (at least in pockets and bottlenecks) all the way to Santa Barbara. Will never forget the day it took me an hour to advance only 1 mile in LA. You're right - it's f'in ridiculous.

Edited by diydude, Mar 3, 2013 @ 8:50 AM.

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

I think I finally caught up on the 2013 episodes. 

I thought that the girl who was living with her pretentious fiancee at the future inlaws and only wanting in Beverly Hills for 1.2 million with all the bells and whistles was a wee bit snotty towards the agent.  My understanding was they have been looking for a year. haha

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

I thought that the girl who was living with her pretentious fiancee at the future inlaws and only wanting in Beverly Hills for 1.2 million with all the bells and whistles was a wee bit snotty towards the agent.  My understanding was they have been looking for a year. haha

You are being generous by calling that guy pretentious as I just thought he was a douche - and obviously not seriously interested in purchasing a home. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was just a set up to give a storyline.

When they rejected West Hollywood because he works in Beverly Hills, my brain nearly exploded since the commute from West Hollywood can actually be shorter than from many areas of Beverly Hills - and is really no commute at all. Aside from pretentiousness aka douchbaggery, the only valid reason to INSIST on living in BH is if you have children since you will save a considerable amount over the years by being able to have your kids in a public school as private school for those who live in the LA School District is pretty much a necessity.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 11:25 PM

It was great seeing Kennon Earl again. Although, it should have been called Selling : Hawaii. Maybe, that was the idea. Anyway, I never knew you could buy "cheap" condos and such in Hawaii. From watching theses shows anything listed under $600,000 is "cheap". I know everything in Hawaii such as food & gas is ginormous so it was nice to see that semi-rich people (I'm more semi-poor) can buy something sort of cheap. BTW! I want to look like Kennon Earl when I grow up. He is so cool & suave without being obnoxious.

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Byanose, I felt like wow, for $299 perhaps we can retire to Hawaii......