4-1: "Box Cutter" 2011.07.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

233 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

TV Guide sez:

In the Season 4 opener, Walt and Jesse's lives hang in the balance as Gus takes some expensive steps to guarantee that he continues to be supplied with a "pure" product. Meanwhile, Skyler is concerned about Walt's whereabouts, and Marie puts on a happy face to deal with a depressed Hank.

Moncheechee

Moncheechee

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Goddamn. Gus is cold.

Sara Maria

Sara Maria

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Holy shit.

I don't think I breathed much the entire time. Aaron Paul broke my heart for the first forty-five minutes and he didn't even say anything.

Gus is the most badass guy on television. I knew I was in for something gruesome but damn.

So glad this show is back.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Do Not Fuck With Gus.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

OMG. No sleep for me tonight. Gah.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

The podcast is on line!

addlepated

addlepated

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Giancarlo Esposito said five words in this episode. Five words. And each footstep he took weighed 1000 pounds.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Wow.
Damn. I forgot about the lab notes. Uh oh.
Welcome back BB.

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

As soon as Gus walked in, I had a feeling that's what would go down. Even still, it was a chilling scene. The visuals... the hydrofluoric acid... yes!

Good to see a "living" Gale again, in the beginning. Poor guy.

Marie still has her purple thing going on.

Saul is still a wacko.

Welcome back, show!!

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Damn...so Jesse did the deed, eh? Poor Gale...although based on the first scene of this episode showing how Gale was first brought into the business was good foreshadowing that he wasn't long for this world. Dude just didn't know how to shut the fuck up. Gus is a scary son of a bitch, looking forward to how this all plays out.

On a couple (darkly) humorous notes...when Walt was mopping up the mess, for lack of a better term, was anyone else thinking he could really use a Sham-Wow! right about then? The mop really was just moving the mess around lol.

When the camera zoomed in on gales "Lab Notes" notebook I immediately thought of my man Stringer Bell from The Wire "Is you takin notes on a criminal fuckin conspiracy?!"

Edited by spaceytraci17, Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:10 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

That whole Gus scene not only had me biting my nails during it, it had me in awe afterword. Dude walked in, changed his clothes, killed a dude, changed his clothes again, and walked out, and he delivered exactly one line the entire time. That is not how TV works.

I adored Skyler in this episode, for real. I love when that happens.

Poor Jesse.

jalora

jalora

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

The reveal of Gale's lab notes at the end was perfect.

ClosingTime

ClosingTime

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Whew. I ate dinner wayyy before this episode started because I heard it was going to be quiet gruesome and I'm glad I did.

Poor Jesse. He looked so sad throughout the episode. I wonder what type of transformation he's going to go through after this. He sounded really cocksure when he told Mike, "Trust us."

I'm wondering how Gus found out Victor was at the crime scene--did Mike tell him or did he hear it otherwise? The way Mike was looking when Gus took him out, I don't think it was Mike that told him, but I could be wrong.

cranberry

cranberry

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I was howling at the matching Dennys outfits. This show can juxtapose dark and funny like no other. Psyched to have it back!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I said it on TV and I'll say it here: Watch it. Love it.

Jesse finally gets to use hydroflouric acid properly! I had some very inappropriate laughs at that.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

I thought Walt would find the box cutter and do the slicing. Didn't expect Gus to do it.

Skyler is gonna get deeper into the whole reasoning of it now.

Poor Hank. Why is he buying up mineral rocks online?

Will Gale's lab notes lead the authorities to think that the blue meth maker is dead?

jalora

jalora

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I wasn't fazed by the throat cutting, but the dark lump of Victor that slowly sank in the drum full of acid turned my stomach. What was that, his head coming off? Cripes.

Chikibun

Chikibun

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I'm watching the Encore sooo. . quick thoughts.

Oh my gosh, I was so tense throughout this whole episode. I didn't even realize until after it was over and I took a breathe.

That stupid guy! I could not understand why he even went into the apartment, so suspicious to do that. I still did not expect him to die, when Gus killed him I nearly fell out of my seat! What a horrible way to go and the noises he made during it were awful. . ugh.

Poor Jesse, man oh man. Aaron Paul is so good. His and Walter's scene at the Denny's was great; just from that -one- little scene I could tell that Aaron Paul is going to be beyond great this season.

Gus, oh dear. He is so beyond terrifying that I cannot even put it into words. I held my breath during the time that he was changing and approaching walt and Jesse. My main thoughts were " Please don't kill Jesse, Please don't kill Jesse ". Even though I knew it was highly unlikely! I was still beyond tense.

Then he goes and kills the guy without any change in expression! Then leaves the body for Walt and Jesse to clean up!? He is COLD.

I really felt for Gale in the opening scene.

I really liked Skylar this episode and was suprised that I was happy to see her and even hoping that nothing happens to her or her family this season.

Marie looked great. And poor Hank, and his. . rock collection. Man, I felt for him nearly as I did for Jesse. That poor guy.

And damn that guy and his looky-loo, what an idiotic move!

Okay, now must focus my full attention on the episode.

Oh and, the ending scene was -perfect-. Great episode!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I had a feeling that the guy was going to get it. (Wish I could remember his name.) Still, knowing that didn't diminish the tension AT ALL. Geez.

How do you all interpret Jesse's face after Gus does the deed? Jesse glared at him kind of like a dare. He didn't look afraid. I suppose it was connected to what he told Walt later, that they are all on the same page now. Anyway, love how Jesse and Walt basically switched places in their demeanors. First Walt was pretty confident while Jesse was catatonic, and then Jesse became almost blase while Walt ... I dunno... first seemed ready to dissolve in terror and then set himself into a defensive mode.

Love the final shot of Lab Notes. Ooooo.

Karmen

Karmen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Poor Victor. Talk about collateral damage. Gus was so mad someone had to die, of the people there, Victor was the most expendable.
It was a really powerful and effective choice having Gus hold a dying Victor while staring at Walt/Jesse.

Skylar still blows. Why the F@CK are you blurting things like "My husband is meth cooker" over your landline phone. My one gripe about this show is that they make the women unbearable to watch.

ForestFire0

ForestFire0

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

The way Gus killed his employee like that was so intense. It felt like the show was saying "You think Walt is a stone-cold killer after he mowed down those two guys with his car? No, we'll show you what a stone-cold killer is." I had been thinking after how Walt had been acting at the end of last season that he might take Gus's place this season, but he still has a long way to go before he's on the same level as Gus.

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

On a couple (darkly) humorous notes...when Walt was mopping up the mess, for lack of a better term, was anyone else thinking he could really use a Sham-Wow! right about then? The mop really was just moving the mess around lol.

The best part of that scene, was the segue into someone mopping up ketchup with a french fry at Denny's. Brilliantly morbid. Or is that morbidly brilliant? Either one, works for me.

Edited by bcharmer, Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:28 PM.

Littlelamb86

Littlelamb86

Fanatic

You know your an amazing actor when you don't have to say anything in an episode and yet make me feel so heartbroken for you at the same time. That is what Aaron did for me. Go for another Emmy, Aaron.

Oh, and don't fuck with Gus.

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

For some reason I felt the murder of the lieutenant was telegraphed, because it didn't come as a complete surprise. Something to do with how he smiled when Gus came in, expecting a pat on the head. And from such a po-faced character too -- it did not bode well. I still have nightmares of a supremely abusive boss I once had who would take a scenario like that and scream at me for trying to help, and when I saw 2nd-in-command man dare to expect appreciation, well it reminded me of something.

More to the point I think Gus has just made a mistake. When a boss savages the worker he is closest to, that doesn't demonstrate to the others that he is strong, what it demonstrates to the others is that it can happen to them too -- in fact in all likelihood, it will happen to them one day. I think I saw this thought bubble across the private detective face while the first gout of blood was spurting forth.

An action like that serves only to undermine any thought that everyone's on the same team -- and as if to prove me right, when the encore episode started, what term was repeated over and over to the emergency operator? "It sounded like a backfire. A backfire. A BACKFIRE!" Hear that Gus? A backfire.

That said, why *did* he kill second-in-command man? Was it because he was seen at Gale's murder? Or because he started a cook without really knowing what he was doing? Or because he disobeyed orders by demonstrating initiative? Or because he was handy and Walt needed a lesson in what Gus was capable of?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

Gus was so mad someone had to die, of the people there, Victor was the most expendable.

That was my feeling, too, that Gus killed Victor not because he was seen in Gale's apartment, but because Gus needed to kill someone -- because he was mad and because he wanted to put the fear of GUS in Walt and Jesse.

It is going to be hard watching Hank and Marie. You could tell that Marie was really steeling herself to walk into the house and be cheerful and encouraging. She's in for a tough, long haul. Of course I feel for Hank, too. How long has he been home? How long has it been since he was shot? (I saw a timeline somewhere, maybe NY Mag, so I should check that out again.)

I guess Hank has gotten into rock -- excuse me -- MINERAL collecting since he can't do much else when he's not having therapy.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

I said to my husband that it's a good thing they had a red floor so stains wouldn't show up too much. But, Walt is a neat freak so they would probably clean it extra well.

Victor, Victor, Victor...probably not a good idea to walk into Gale's apartment and then not even take the notebook.

Skyler finding the plastic eye to the stuffed animal at the start of last season. Nice callback. Skyler's fake/real panic attack with the locksmith was excellent. You'd think he'd ask that when she called.

@Karmen, yes, the whole conversation with Saul was pretty bad, plus, anyone could have walked in. I don't think anyone was tapping her like, but Sauls' without a doubt.

ETA: I think Victor was killed because he went into the apartment AND to show that people who mess up aren't exempt. The only reason Walk & Jesse weren't killed is because they need to cook now that Gale's dead - and cook better than Gale. Jesse and Walt have screwed up a lot and the only reason they aren't dead is that they can cook.

Edited by isiscloud, Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:31 PM.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

Excellent episode. I get the feeling its going to be like last season where it takes them a while to get things going. It felt like the entire episode was dedicated to 20 minutes of lab time or in the breaking bad world. Once Bryan Cranston let the cat out of the bag and said a major character was going to be killed it was obvious it was going to be Victor, so when it happened i was not shocked one bit, just in the way it was beautifully executed. It was so shocking even Mr. cool under pressure Mike was a bit surprised. I'm hoping somebody here gets the Kenny Rogers reference, because i don't know him well and it must be Gilligan digging into his southern roots.
Am i too obsessed with the show? i thought about writing down the license plate for Walt's car but just decided to just keep watching the show no matter the clue it could present.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

The first thing I thought of re Kenny Rogers was "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." BTW, where DID the Kenny Rogers shirts come from?

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

That said, why *did* he kill second-in-command man? Was it because he was seen at Gale's murder? Or because he started a cook without really knowing what he was doing? Or because he disobeyed orders by demonstrating initiative? Or because he was handy and Walt needed a lesson in what Gus was capable of?

All of the above I suspect.

coaster

coaster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

Oh my. The whole time Gus was changing his clothes, I don't think I took a breath. When Gus picked up the box cutter, I just knew Victor was a goner.

So, why exactly? Because Victor showed up and acted suspiciously in front of witnesses? Did Gus know that? (Of course Gus knows all... but...) Was it because Victor didn't carry out his order of getting Walter out of the way? Mike also failed in that mission. Maybe this was a message to Mike as well? Was it because Victor was suddenly casting himself as a cook (not knowing his place)?

I also had some inappropriate laughs at the acid procedure. How horribly awesome that in this ep, THAT counted for comic relief. Jesse's expression as he got the jugs of acid off the shelf was all "not again." And I couldn't help the giggle at the thought, ok, this is the "professional" use of the plastic container/hydrofluoric acid method that Walt always intended. Finally found a plastic container big enough.

P.S. Love how we are arriving at the same speculative options. :)

Edited by coaster, Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:34 PM.