• Please log in to reply

2999 replies to this topic

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 6:00 PM

I just found this on Showtime's site:

http://www.sho.com/s...meland/home.sho

Damian Lewis in uniform again. Claire Danes, too. The teaser looks interesting- definitely seems worth checking out.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 6:18 PM

Here's hoping a Canadian network will pick it up. I would adore having Damian back on my tv! Still miss "Life". Please post the station if anyone finds any information about this airing up here.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 7:50 PM

I've been pretty excited about this and I don't know why. Can't wait to check it out.

Looking forward to Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin (even if he does have an iffy record with tv shows, I'll always love this guy).

Edited by cmm226, Jul 17, 2011 @ 7:54 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 9:49 PM

Looks an awful lot like an updated Manchurian Candidate to me.

InvertedCommas

InvertedCommas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

I'm excited to see this, and not just because it'll be great to see Damian Lewis back on TV again. The plot summary sounds more like it's for a miniseries or a movie than a series though, no?

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

InvertedCommas, that's exactly what I thought while watching. I'm not sure how it continues past 1 season, it sounds like it could be a movie, but I think I'll enjoy it.

EyesOfCat

EyesOfCat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 7:41 AM

I wonder how long Mandy Patinkin will stay with this one?

MsOrange21

MsOrange21

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

Preview from Comi-Con:

http://insidetv.ew.c...s-a-sneak-peek/

I SWEAR I saw a glimpse of what looked like a conspiracy board in that clip.

No. I'm not bitter about Life at all. /sarcasm.

Squirrtle

Squirrtle

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

No. I'm not bitter about Life at all. /sarcasm.

Damian Lewis imprisoned unfairly and released, only to have to adjust back into the outside world with some possible underlying conspiracy? I'm right there not being bitter with you.

I wonder how long Mandy Patinkin will stay with this one?

Ha! And sadly, a very good question.

It looks interesting. Something I'd definately check out. Especially since they kept harping on the gray. I love it when things go all gray on shows instead of being so black and white. I do think I should start a drinking game from now until Oct. Everytime someone with the show uses the word gray to describe something in it, take a drink.

Is it weird that Claire Danes playing an entirely adult role makes me feel old?

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

MsOrange21, thanks for the link to the extended preview. I don't know whether it's good or bad thing, but I couldn't stop myself from giggling out loud when they showed DL looking in the mirror with his scraggly, wild man beard and hair. Just sayin'.

lizzbert

lizzbert

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

Hey folks--I filmed the short Homeland SDCC '11 Panel they had at Comic-Con this year for my company blog. Morena Baccarin is superhumanly GORGEOUS here (although I'm not a fan of her hair in the preview. Ew.).

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

Hey folks--I filmed the short Homeland SDCC '11 Panel they had at Comic-Con this year for my company blog. Morena Baccarin is superhumanly GORGEOUS here (although I'm not a fan of her hair in the preview. Ew.).

Thanks for that. Going to watch it now.

Definitely giving this show a shot. Damian Lewis, Claire Danes, Morena Baccarin and Mandy Patinkin? Oh yes. I've always liked Claire Danes, especially, but most of the stuff she's done is far from being to my tastes. This is more like it.

I agree with others though, that this sounds like a rather limited premise for an ongoing series. Either Dick Winters is a traitor, or he's not. If Claire Danes is remotely competent, it won't take her five years and one hundred episodes to figure it out. Hopefully it won't be like other US series that really only had a season long premise, yet were stretched out for much longer.

idledandy

idledandy

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 11:30 PM

I agree with others though, that this sounds like a rather limited premise for an ongoing series. Either Dick Winters is a traitor, or he's not.

I totally agree with this, and yet, this article says if it's picked up past 13 episodes, all the characters will return.

It looks interesting, though. I've been seeing the ads nonstop during Big Brother After Dark. Shut up.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 12:41 AM

Only thing that comes to mine seeing all these promos for it is that Claire Danes has grown into a good-looking woman but she has to relax those eyelid muscles once in awhile.

missmedusa30

missmedusa30

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:06 AM

I'm excited to see this show. From the previews it looks like it will be very good. I am really looking forward to it.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

I'm looking forward to the show. The critics seem positive about it, and I like Damian Lewis and Claire Danes.

she has to relax those eyelid muscles once in awhile

But she needs to keep them ready to trap the terrorists with her eyelashes.

willagirl

willagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 2:14 AM

Nymag.com has the premiere episode up now. All the swearing and nudity is edited out, of course.

I haven't enjoyed much of Claire Danes' work in recent years, but she's pretty good in this. She does unhinged really well.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

Showtime has the first episode up on their website as well.

I love Damian Lewis, so I want to like this. So far, it looks good! High Hopes!

kiseki

kiseki

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

I don't normally watch this type of show but goddamn that was really good. Also Claire Danes is definitely the stand out though there's great acting all around. I'm in for a second episode for sure.

surfer

surfer

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 6:57 PM

That was quite enjoyable. With the exception of Morena Baccarin's wig. At least I hope that was a wig.

prop joe

prop joe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 5:55 AM

Good first episode. Reminded me of Rubicon, hopefully it can be as good [although, I guess most people wouldn't like that].
Claire Danes really is great, haven't seen her in a while.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:18 AM

Quite good first episode.

Damian Lewis is great as the laconic, uncomfortable guy. I really hope he doesn't turn out to be what Claire Danes thinks he is, though. Morena Baccarin was very good as his wife, and played the shock, happiness and then horror as she saw what had been done to him all very well. Not keen on the inevitable love triangle stuff, though. Of course she was in a relationship with his best friend, because otherwise it wouldn't all hurt quite so much.

Claire Danes was excellent, and I agree with others that she played that slightly unhinged quality very well. The standout moment being when she attempted to seduce Mandy Patinkin, and his disgusted reaction. I actually laughed out loud at that. The scene where she was impassively watching the Brodys' reunion through those cameras was actually a little unsettling, as was her drive to catch Brody in a lie when she was sitting in on his debriefing. It'll be interesting to see how far they take those elements of her character.

Edited by Danny Franks, Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:18 AM.

InvertedCommas

InvertedCommas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:26 AM

Good first episode. Reminded me of Rubicon, hopefully it can be as good [although, I guess most people wouldn't like that].

Aw, I loved Rubicon. (Making me one of like, two, I know.)

I really enjoyed the first episode - some beats felt a little bit stale (Carrie's going out to the bar, the "contact" who turns out to be his friend's wife) but as a whole, it was gripping and well-acted and I'm definitely in for the season. The mix of the political with the small moments of a family being turned on its head is great.

It's interesting, because I feel like even in conspiracy thrillers like this, you can usually get a handle early on about who most of the characters are, even if not what they're up to, but here, Brody is such a cipher that I'm completely reserving judgment on everyone until we get a slightly fuller picture. I don't think the show can either make him completely evil or Carrie completely wrong, but there's a lot of room in between.

Damian Lewis is, as always, just fantastic, and Claire Danes is definitely rocking the wide-eyed obsessiveness. Her character is fascinating. Reminds me a little bit about the female CIA operative who's been reported to have been behind detaining/torturing several innocent people at Gitmo out of some sort of personal conviction they were guilty. Don't know how intentional that parallel is, but again...I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Edited by InvertedCommas, Sep 20, 2011 @ 9:17 PM.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

Really good first ep. I'm relieved because I'm hungry for a good show while I wait for Mad Men. I always like Claire Danes and that quivering chin when she cries (Angela!). I'm not a fan of Damien Lewis but he's great for the part. He has an "off" quality and lack of voice range and facial expressions, kinda like an alien or robot, so I can never get emotionally invested in his characters but that all works well here. I don't like the cliched wife's romance (does it always have to be with the guy closest to the husband?). That and the POW guilt of killing his friend and lying to the friend's wife is too similar to the film Brothers so that kinda bugs, but I'm much more into the terrorist angle so I'm excited to see the whole series.

Edited by Numb Nut, Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:24 PM.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:20 PM

I found the pilot to be quite gripping and well-acted, as well. Damian Lewis is just plain amazing (and incredibly pretty). And yeah, Claire Danes' character is really interesting and she does a fantastic job with her. She comes across as abrasive, unstable, but not someone you can't sympathize with at all.

Morena Baccarin is excellent as well, of course.

I am definitely intrigued enough to watch more - although I agree with Danny Franks that I really don't want him to be what Claire Danes' character thinks he is...

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

Just watched the first episode on On Demand, and while I found the beginning to be slow, by the end I was completely drawn in- even though Danes' neurotic intensity was off-putting at times. Damian Lewis is really good at playing psychologically damaged, tortured characters...and Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin were great, too. I just hope that there are many twists and turns in the storyline that build to an explosive, surprising, but logical conclusion-unlike The Killing, which for many viewers ended in a big WTF? letdown.

Edited by jcoop13, Sep 20, 2011 @ 5:54 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:03 PM

That was a really good pilot - it didn't have the usual weaknesses pilots often have.

Claire Danes character came across as seriously disturbed and it is very ironic that she seems to be on the money about Damian Lewis returning war hero character.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

I haven't watched all of the pilot yet.

But what was the deal with Danes reaching under her dress and toweling her groin before heading to the staff meeting?

Did they show that to point out some dubious hygiene and that she was going commando to her work place?

The wife/mother of the MIA guy was something too leaving the kids at home alone so she can sleep with some other guy. One thing to move on if the guy has been MIA for several years but neglectful parenting?

String her up!

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 11:16 AM

Really good pilot and I'm hooked. The premise is good and it will be interesting to watch the story unfold (is Carrie right about Brody or is he innocent??). Damien Lewis and Claire Dane are both awesome in their roles and the supporting characters all seem good so far.

Sarah1281

Sarah1281

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 2:00 AM

I really hope he doesn't turn out to be what Claire Danes thinks he is, though.

I'm not sure how he could not be given his lies about being disturbed!mentored by the main terrorist and his beating his friend to death which I did not see coming.

The wife/mother of the MIA guy was something too leaving the kids at home alone so she can sleep with some other guy. One thing to move on if the guy has been MIA for several years but neglectful parenting?

I don't think it's neglectful parenting. I looked up Morgan Saylor (the daughter) on IMDB and though it didn't mention what year she was born, they did say that she was a high schooler which means at least fourteen and thus old enough to babysit...and apparently do drugs in her room with a boy. Maybe that counts as neglectful parenting.

Does anyone remember what drug she was on and what that implies is wrong with her? Is she schizophrenic? I want to root for her but she's just so crazy...

I am not liking that David guy who hates her. I hope they give him a more valid reason to hate him than an implied affair that led to his wife divorcing him and taking custody of the kids because that is so more his fault than hers since she didn't force him into anything - probably.