Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (from Hell)

• Please log in to reply

519 replies to this topic

MementoMori

MementoMori

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I'm in the "why not a pantsuit" club, too, for the wonderful sister. And yes, girlfriend Tracy's hair was fascinating.. I stared at it in every TH scene just to figure out how it worked. It was like a men's "Jersey Shore" do with tiny, rigid bangs. It was not unlike some kind of hat, like it could be lifted off in one piece.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

I'm in the "why not a pantsuit" club, too, for the wonderful sister. And yes, girlfriend Tracy's hair was fascinating.. I stared at it in every TH scene just to figure out how it worked. It was like a men's "Jersey Shore" do with tiny, rigid bangs. It was not unlike some kind of hat, like it could be lifted off in one piece.

Me too! That hair was AMAZING! Love the identical twins and that one was gay- that's a different TLC twist. With brides having 2 MOH, moms walking them down the aisle, best men for the bride, etc. wedding "rules" are a lot more flexible these days. I want a Mother of the Bride dress show now, with bitchy brides and mean moms- that might be fun!

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

At Bridals by Lori, no one helps you with the bridesmaids gowns so it doesn't matter about Lil Monte. Hell, when I went we barely got a "do you need any help?"

As for letting the twin wear a tux...no! She's not a MAN! Pant suits can be feminine. Now, her girlfriend...the only thing that makes her look like a woman is her boobs. (Did she have any?) That broad really does look like a man.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

. I want a Mother of the Bride dress show now, with bitchy brides and mean moms- that might be fun!

I do, too--or at least a regular segment on MOB wear on the original-sauce SYTTD. As we've seen, a lot of pre-wedding (and long-standing) arguments are passive-aggressively fought through wedding wear. I know a MOB and mother of the groom who almost came to blows over who got to wear what color (some sort of pastel blue, if I remember correctly). This was after the police were nearly called to the couple's engagement party because the mothers were fighting over something else. Oh, would that that argument were captured on camera.

I couldn't believe the matron of the brides/maid of honor nonsense. I agree that the maid of honor was upset that her long-time friend seemed to be becoming closer with someone else ... but throwing a tantrum about having to "stand out" was certainly not the way to preserve a possibly decaying friendship. She must be humiliated after having watched herself. That tantrum was bizarre.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

In regards to the twins, I thought the girlfriend was out of line, I have no issues with her letting the bride know her thoughts but it came across as if she was itching for a fight and kept harping on it. Also the gay twin seemed okay with wearing the dress, yes she was uncomfortable but she was doing it for her twin who she obviously loved. She understood her sister, she said in her talking head that her twin wasn't coming from a place of "trying to change me". I think if the gay twin was really anti-dress her sister would have relented.

As for the mustache maid of honor, given how she was acting I would have basically told her she can support me as a guest.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

I do, too--or at least a regular segment on MOB wear on the original-sauce SYTTD. As we've seen, a lot of pre-wedding (and long-standing) arguments are passive-aggressively fought through wedding wear. I know a MOB and mother of the groom who almost came to blows over who got to wear what color (some sort of pastel blue, if I remember correctly). This was after the police were nearly called to the couple's engagement party because the mothers were fighting over something else. Oh, would that that argument were captured on camera.

Friend of the family flipped her wig when her son was getting married. The bride had two wedding colors and asked each mother to wear one of them. Groom's mother was pissed that she had to wear "the other one". WTF? I didn't go to the wedding so I don't know if there was a "primary" one but come on man! Put your big girl panties on, dress up in your uniform, and shut up.

Yall have just gotten me excited about the possibility of a MOB segment! LOL! I would prefer it on the Atlanta shows because I think the mothers have been more passive aggressive and straight up aggressive in Atlanta. Putting it on the bridesmaid show would liven up this dreck.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

We saw a couple of nutty MOBs on original recipe SYTTD. One ordered a bronze-brown dress and went into hysterics over the color which she didn't think matched the sample. Then she re-ordered in in black, but I think she ended up in the brown after all. One wanted to wear one of the wedding gowns, in white. She didn't see why anyone would object to that at all, including her daughter. But somehow I'm sure Atlanta could top them. I vote for Duelling Mothers, groom's versus bride's. Or maybe Lori could get that mother who left the family and the stepmother who raised the bride to decide on the same dress . . .

ButterQueen

ButterQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

scruffy73----

And the broad who had the bridesmaids by the red-bottoms...? KMA!

It took me 30 minutes to figure out what this meant. LOL

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I vote for Duelling Mothers, groom's versus bride's. Or maybe Lori could get that mother who left the family and the stepmother who raised the bride to decide on the same dress . . .

Yes! Love the idea. MOB and MOG pick their dresses and we all vote on which on we like more! I do remember the SYTTD with the black/brown dress, I actually think I liked the dress, but the woman had more money than sense. It was from a few years back. Does Kleinfled's/Lori's do big business in MOB/MOG - wear? Are all bridemaid dresses made of tafetta/tafetta-like fabric like we see at Lori's? The last wedding I went to, b-maids wore dresses from J. Crew. They looked nice and could be worn again. More LBD than b-maid.

Edited by kccody, Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:31 PM.

mccurdy

mccurdy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I cannot believe how they made the bridesmaids out to be stingy and obnoxious for not wanting to spend $200 on dresses. I'm Team Bridesmaid on this one. Good for them for standing up for themselves against the tyranny of the wedding industrial complex.
Also, the male consultant (can't remember his name) might be even more grating than Monte. And that's really saying something.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

My Soror Rae Ransom was on tonight looking lovely! I wish I could have seen her bridesmaids picking out their "Jessica Rabbit" red dresses.

I hated Brandon and his sister. No, just Brandon. I hate how he treated her. He picked some terrible dresses that did not fit her style and got mad that she didn't like them. Dumbass.

I loved Lily, the mini-maid of honor. She was so cute! And I loved how she made faces about her oldest sister's bitchery. She was the best thing ever. Love!

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I cannot believe how they made the bridesmaids out to be stingy and obnoxious for not wanting to spend $200 on dresses. I'm Team Bridesmaid on this one. Good for them for standing up for themselves against the tyranny of the wedding industrial complex.

Then don't accept being a bridesmaid because I don't think $200 is an unexpectedly high figure to have to spend on a long formal gown that you can't buy on sale.

There was the bride who did have an obscenely high amount that she expected her attendants to pay - like over $600 or so along with other expensive accoutrements, but my expectation would be that I would be committing to spending at least $200 for a dress.

Of course, I would also have no qualms about declining the "honor" if I felt I couldn't afford all the expenses that go along with the "honor".

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Did anyone catch why 4 days to the wedding bride only had 4 days? And she didn't have ant fittings before on her dress either. The wedding didn't look tossed together but maybe it was.

Lily was the cutest thing. I'm glad they went the sized up jr dress route. Biggest sister is a massive brat. You'd think she would be more concerned about what would look good on her baby sister. I hope she doesn't have the grown up MOH duties. (Cause Lily can't really do much in the way of showers or legally witnessing thhe wedding)

mccurdy

mccurdy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Then don't accept being a bridesmaid because I don't think $200 is an unexpectedly high figure to have to spend on a long formal gown that you can't buy on sale.

Agree. They should have turned her down. These poor girls, they're in so many weddings -- if everyone has 8-10 bridesmaids that means lots of weddings/lots of dresses. Not easily affordable for most young adults. I wish brides would back off this idea that the universe revolves around them just because they're getting married. So many maids is ludicrous.

Edited by mccurdy, Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Honestly $200 is cheap. Hell getting a formal dress period for under $200 is a miracle. If you cannot afford it, simply say thank you to the bride and politely decline.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

What in the HELL color blush did Amber have on? Her cheeks looked gray! And great job on making yourself look less mature than a 7 year old. Who was seriously darling by the way! I thought the dress the bride ended up with looked great on both of them.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Yes, $200 is a STEAL! Also IMO there is not a difference between $200 and $206. SIX dollars?!!! Now if they said " we can only afford to spend $200" and the bride picked $250 or $300 dollar dresses then please say something. It's only considerate to at least be aware of the bridesmaid dress cost(unless the dresses are being comped or something). Yes it's the couples day it he point of the wedding party is to include loved ones.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

This is the first time I've seen this, and I watched the marathon tonight.
Loved the bride who let the bridesmaids pick out their dresses, they just had to be all the same red.
They were, she was happy, they were happy.
On the one with the bitchy older sister. Yes she was, but if she'd have been maid (or matron?) of honor, she could have worn a different dress, and the young sister could have been a junior bridesmaid, and all would have been well.
I think that dress was too old for a little kid.
For the one with the bitchy 16-year-old sister, I blame mom for insisting the bride reinstate her in the wedding party.
On the one with the lesbian twin with the bitchy girl friend, I think a pantsuit would have been fine too, but she did agree to a dress.
I think, though, she'd have looked a lot better in a dress that covered her shoulders--she was big, and very pale.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Brandon talks like a Valley Girl with marbles in his mouth. He's beginning to annoy me, especially with his sister.

I didn't think $200 OR $206 was too much for a b'maid dress. I "get" the costs of being an attendant, but if it's too much, graciously bow out. That bride seemed very considerate of her attendants -- unlike the $1200+ wear-the-LeBoutain(sp?)-shoes bride.

Couldn't quite figure out the one bridesmaid (Brandon's sister): She would wear a strapless dress, but a one-shoulder dress made her feel "half-naked" on one shoulder???? Confused. Little sister was cute.

Edited by sib5, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

I thought that the bride and bridesmaids had agreed to the $200 price cap for the dresses, and I expected the bride to say that she'd pay for any costs over $200, for all of them.
She's the one who wanted the dress, and I think that would have been the way to go.
I had the impression that it wasn't just the one who was worried about the money, but that none of the others wanted to speak up.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

I didn't like Lily the kid at all. To me, she seemed so phony. I think there was more to the story than we saw. Amber was unpleasant, but having Lily as MOH was ridiculous. No wonder Amber was angry, especially since there seemed to be so many years dividing the 3 sisters. I have a feeling it is the 7-year old who runs that family.

In families where there are a substantial amount of years between siblings, it is not unlikely that there are possible bad feelings between those siblings, and I suspect that Amber's personality is not large enough to overlook a bride who is "best friends" with her much younger sister, and then for the bride to choose Lily for her MOH must have looked like a real slap in the face. I think the idea that someone else mentioned about Lily being a Junior Bridesmaid would have been an excellent compromise, but if you're looking for your 15 minutes of TV time, then definitely choose a 7 year old who is very manipulative in her own right.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I must have missed that Lily was MOH!! Hmmm ... maybe not so cute, then.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I thought that the bride and bridesmaids had agreed to the $200 price cap for the dresses, and I expected the bride to say that she'd pay for any costs over $200, for all of them.
She's the one who wanted the dress, and I think that would have been the way to go.
I had the impression that it wasn't just the one who was worried about the money, but that none of the others wanted to speak up.

Yes the price agreed upon was $200. I just don't think $6 should have cause such drama. If they were concerned about paying $200 for the dresses they should have spoken up before agreeing to be in the wedding. I could see expecting the bride to pay the difference if it was a significant amount but honestly quibbling over $6 made them all look cheap and petty.

cwreality

cwreality

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

In my humble opinion, having a 7 year old as your MOH is absurd. Stupid and embarrassing also comes to mind. What the hell? It isn't like she even understands that it is an honor. Amber may have a bad attitude, but if my sister chose a 7 year old over for such a position, I'd flip the bitch switch, too.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Yes, $200 is a STEAL! Also IMO there is not a difference between $200 and $206. SIX dollars?!!!

If it were just one girl who wanted to stay below $200, I'd agree, but there seemed to be at least a couple. As one pointed out, $206 is just the sticker price. There's also tax and then alterations, which aren't cheap. Further, I got the feeling that they had discussed a budget for the dress beforehand, perhaps after some had already expressed concerns about the cost of being in the wedding party, which makes me think that she had promised to try to keep it low. I worry that if she doesn't respect the budget, there will be a lot of "it's just $10 more" or "it's just $5" more, and if you repeatedly go over budget by a little bit, it adds up to a lot.

What really bothered me was the bride's rather whiny self-congratulations about being too considerate of her bridesmaids' wishes. And if this is a bride who has that many bridesmaids, I suspect she also wants them to go all-out on the bachelorette party and the shower, the whole time whining to everyone about how accommodating she is.

$200 isn't that much for a bridesmaid's dress if you go for "real" bridesmaids dresses. But if you shop at normal stores and avoid the "wedding" markup, you can get pretty nice dresses for less than that--and they are more likely to be rewearable.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I think quibbling over $6 was ridiculous but I don't think that's the entire sum as it appeared that one or more of the bridesmaids wanted to spend significantly less than that.

Perhaps reality set in when they realized what the total cost of the dress would be with alterations - or the total cost of having the honor.

I think it is pretty well understood what the financial obligations are of the bride and the attendants and I also think that almost anyone is going to have some sense that a bridesmaid dress is going to cost them at least that amount.

I understand why someone doesn't want to pay $200 or more for a formal dress that can only be worn once but I don't have much sympathy because one can graciously opt out when asked if finances are a concern. The bride is under no obligation to pay nor is anyone under any obligation to be a bridesmaid. Far better to state upfront that you are honored but aren't in a financial position to participate fully.

Just being a guest at a wedding is expensive enough IME between the shower gift and the wedding gift.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I know a MOB and mother of the groom who almost came to blows over who got to wear what color

Etiquette states that the MOB gets to choose her dress first, and then the MOG.
Having been both, it's hell to find a dress that is neither matronly nor hootchie if you are a MOB in your 40s or 50s. It's like formal wear for adult women assumes you are a Golden Girl or a Real Housewife.

Yes, $200 is a STEAL!

I hardly think $200 is a steal for something you wear once, and may not even like.

Also IMO there is not a difference between $200 and $206.

True, but where does it end? If their limit was $200, it should have topped out there. What if it was $212 or $224 or $240?

As one pointed out, $206 is just the sticker price. There's also tax and then alterations, which aren't cheap. Further, I got the feeling that they had discussed a budget for the dress beforehand

I assume the 'maids meant that their top limit was $200, which included tax and incidentals.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

One bridesmaid said that they should consider the price of alterations in the price of the dress which I think was a totally valid request. If they agreed on a $200 limit then the bride should honor that without making it seem like the bridesmaids are being unreasonable.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

But then they wouldn't have been on TEEVEEEEEE!!

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I must have missed that Lily was MOH!! Hmmm ... maybe not so cute, then.

That kid was annoying. And the dress was just not suitable for a seven year old.

That bride is nuts for picking a seven year old as MOH. Is that even legal. I might be aging myself but I remember my MOH signing my marriage certificate as a witness. Maybe the older sister is expected to do it which is why she is disgruntled. If I were her, I would bow out of this farce. She is probably expected to do all the MOH duties without the title.