Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (from Hell)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

519 replies to this topic

Dear

Dear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

"A peacock is a turkey, right?"

*Headdesk* I about died from choking on my water when the bridesmaid asked the camera if a peacock was a bird, riiiiight?

This has to be fake, PLEASE tell me they told her to say that.

Omega Mu

Omega Mu

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 4:00 PM

After all the drama with Nikki, the maid-of-honor reasonably asked how that dress would look on her. Good question, as Nikki was probably a size 2 or 4 and the MOH was considerably larger. From the reactions of the consultants, you would have thought she said she hated the dress. They went on and on about how they finally found a dress that Nikki loved, only to have the MOH start making trouble.
I found myself really insulted by their attitude. She had every right to question how that style would look on her and was not trying to derail the selection at all.

mishap

mishap

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

I will enjoy this show for awhile, unless it becomes too 'one note'.
When I got married 20-some years ago, I remember a friend having a winter wedding, and they carried muffs. I thought it was cute and a unique idea back then.
I watch these shows, and can only hope that when and if any of my kids decide to get married, then will have more common sense and be more grounded than some of these 'it's my day' brides. A wedding is fine, but so much is unnecessary.

I liked the bride with Nicki, because she only wanted 3 attendents. I hate going to weddings now, where there is such a huge wedding party. 15 attendants? Come on. This is the type of person who has over 1000 friends on facebook, and think that means she's oh so loved and popular.

I would never agree to be a part of that large of a wedding party. If you don't know who your closest and best friends are, or can't whittle it down to a reasonable number, you are delusional. Why would anyone agree to this? I wouldn't feel honored or special, if I was just part of a crowd. And too many rules. Sorry, but it's not just about appearances. It's supposed to be people you love, not people who make for a nice picture, with cookie cutter hair, etc.

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

I can't recall how the bride described Nikki but is it possible that she's stuck with her because she's, say, the sister of the groom? I know that sometimes wedding parties get intermingled like that and perhaps she has to play nice with Nikki rather than giving her a smackdown because she's not really her friend, she's almost-family.

I really enjoy watching the Bridezilla brand if for no other reason than that I know my daughter will never bring me this kind of angst.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 5:53 PM

I too wondered if there was more going on with Nikki and Melissa, and although of course it should be about the bride, a little "I love that color on you but it's not quite the style I'm looking for" etc. would have gone a long way, esp. with Melissa. She was plump and the bride hated everything she tried on and loved everything the really slim, attractive girl was wearing. Almost anyone would start feeling like shit after awhile of that, even if it wasn't meant personally.

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

$500-dresses-15-bridesmaids bride is a candidate for Bridezillas, me thinks. The dress is only the beginning of the expenses. I would have to decline if the dress was $500.

Me, too. My wedding dress didn't cost that much. But good for Tiffany (??), the one who was there with all her girls for the fitting. Now, those girls just all seemed happy that she got the color pink she wanted so they must all be "real" friends... esp. considering that dress looked equally hideous on all the girls of different shapes and sizes.

mishap

mishap

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

Well, they say that secretly, or maybe even subconsciously, bride pick ugly bridesmaids dresses on purpose, so that they will look that much better. I don't really think this is true for the most part, but if that's what this bride was doing with those pink, capey, dresses, she went too far. IMO these dresses were so bad that they distracted from everything else. Who could pay attention to the bride? I think all I could do is wonder WTF the bridesmaids were wearing.

mtbingmom

mtbingmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 7:08 PM

Omega Mu says

After all the drama with Nikki, the maid-of-honor reasonably asked how that dress would look on her. Good question, as Nikki was probably a size 2 or 4 and the MOH was considerably larger. From the reactions of the consultants, you would have thought she said she hated the dress. They went on and on about how they finally found a dress that Nikki loved, only to have the MOH start making trouble.
I found myself really insulted by their attitude. She had every right to question how that style would look on her and was not trying to derail the selection at all.

I so agree with this. Then when the 3rd girl tried the dress on, the MOH said she felt fine with the dress as girl three was closer to her size, and it looked good on her.

theblameanxiety

theblameanxiety

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 7:28 PM

After that Nikki girl came out CRYING because she hated that dress so much, I would have been like "Fine. Dont wear it, dont be in my wedding. This isnt about you." and kicked her ass out. I get that she was the girls friend and all, but COME ON. Using "I wont be in the wedding" to lord over the bride about her choices and saying things like she was just as important as the bride was RIDICULOUS. Newsflash honey, you arent just as important. You're a bridesMAID, and I'm sure that that wedding would have still gone on even without you.

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

How bad is it that I recall Nikki's name and not the bride's? I want to say it was Nay or something? Anyway, I thought Nay wanted brown, gold or cream BM dresses. Then, the dress that Nikki deigned to wear looked black. Was it chocolate brown?

BTW, brown for a BM dress? Ugh. Sounds awful. Not many people look good in brown or gold.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

BTW, brown for a BM dress? Ugh. Sounds awful.

Heh. My best friend had us in chocolate brown. It wasn't cringeworthy (skin tones varied. I'm black and my complexion is caramel - had I been the same color as the dress, it wouldn't have looked good at all), but it wasn't great. And the dress sits in a drawer, unworn since that day, and I know the same is true for the other women.

After that Nikki girl came out CRYING because she hated that dress so much, I would have been like "Fine. Dont wear it, dont be in my wedding. This isnt about you." and kicked her ass out. I get that she was the girls friend and all, but COME ON.

At first, when the bride said she only had three bridesmaids, I thought "Great!" (IMO, more than four starts to look crowded.) But then she said something about how she didn't have many women close to her and I wondered if she was one of those people who hasn't had many friends and so holds tightly to the ones she does have. But then again, the other bridesmaid was nice and treated her well, so it's not like she's never been shown kindness. It just makes me sad that she would take that bullshit from someone who's supposed to care about her.

Edited by Empress1, Jul 10, 2011 @ 9:56 PM.

theblameanxiety

theblameanxiety

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

At first, when the bride said she only had three bridesmaids, I thought "Great!" (IMO, more than four starts to look crowded.) But then she said something about how she didn't have many women close to her and I wondered if she was one of those people who hasn't had many friends and so holds tightly to the ones she does have. But then again, the other bridesmaid was nice and treated her well, so it's not like she's never been shown kindness. It just makes me sad that she would take that bullshit from someone who's supposed to care about her.

I get what you mean, but I dont have a whole lot of close female friends either, and I still would have kicked her ass to the curb for that attitude. The thing she didnt seem to understand was that THIS ISNT ABOUT HER.

Any "friend" who puts themselves and their own tastes above yours in YOUR wedding I dont feel like is any sort of friend anyone needs. If you're a friend, and you agree to be a bridesmaid, you freaking wear whatever hideous dress the person chooses with a smile and then laugh about it later. You dont put a stipulation on it of "I'll only be your bridesmaid if I like the dress"

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 5:10 AM

Bridesmaids - a dress worn only once - in this economy - in this day and age? Puhleeze. People get married - spare your friends your delusions that ANYONE cares about YOUR day as much as you do - and lets move past the idea that grown-ups need to play dress-up.

Omega Mu

Omega Mu

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

Mr. Mu laughed until he cried every time someone said something about the "Muff." I swear, that man can make something dirty out of anything...

SBar54321

SBar54321

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

I was appalled by Melissa's behavior. I'm really surprised the older woman didn't step in and knock her down a notch. She's just plain mean and hurtful. Sad thing is, the other girls, except one, just let her get away with it.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

I just wonder if some of the difficult ones just didn't understand what they were getting into when they consented to be a bridesmaid. I've done it twice. The first time, it was my future SIL. She put us all in puffy, teal dresses that hit us mid-calf, and had us all wearing french roll hairdos. It was hideous, and we all felt like Glenda the Good Witch. The second time, it was my BF, and she let me and her sister, the only two bridesmaids, decide amongst ourselves what dress we would both wear. We also did our own hair. I don't think I have to say which was the better experience.

That said, both times, I went in knowing what it meant to be a bridesmaid. If you say yes, you should expect to be wearing a dress the bride picks, in the color she likes, with your hair, makeup and jewelry to her specs, and that you will have to pay for all of it. If you have a budget, you should let the bride know that up front so she can decide how she wants to proceed. Of course, you may get a pleasant experience like I did with my friend, but you HAVE to expect and be able to deal with the worst. Otherwise, you should just say no from jump.

Edited by Nutjob, Jul 11, 2011 @ 2:13 PM.

Kittenrescue

Kittenrescue

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

I so agree with this. Then when the 3rd girl tried the dress on, the MOH said she felt fine with the dress as girl three was closer to her size, and it looked good on her.

I didn't know why the MOH didn't try on anything.

I think most bridesmaids dresses only look good on the models in the advertising photos. My DIL's bridesmaids dresses were gorgeous .... a simple strapless long sheath in a deep plum with a crystal pin at the waist. On the other hand my niece's bridesmaids dresses were hideous .... short, bright red with chiffon halters.

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

Mr. Mu laughed until he cried every time someone said something about the "Muff." I swear, that man can make something dirty out of anything...

I didn't go there until the end when White Horse Teeth said "Everybody will be rocking the muff" and then the announcer said something about the muff and then I realized, I think they were SO using a double entendre the entire epi and I just didn't realize it. Therefore, I will not be watching the episode again because all I will hear is "blah blah blah muff, blah blah blah muff" and then I'll start giggling like a 12 y.o.

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 3:53 PM

I didn't know why the MOH didn't try on anything.

I suspect it was because they didn't have samples in her size and she didn't want to be embarrassed (a la Big Bliss). Not that she was super heavy or anything, but she was bigger even than the other larger bridesmaid.

What surprised me was that nobody asked if the dresses came in different colors. It seemed like each color and style combination was it. I always thought with bridesmaid's dresses, that once you picked a style you wanted, you could pick a color from the catalog. That's the way it was when I got married almost 30 years ago. Now my bridal party would have been a challenge - one girl wore a petite size 2 and the other was a size 16 and tall besides.

theblameanxiety

theblameanxiety

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

What surprised me was that nobody asked if the dresses came in different colors. It seemed like each color and style combination was it. I always thought with bridesmaid's dresses, that once you picked a style you wanted, you could pick a color from the catalog. That's the way it was when I got married almost 30 years ago. Now my bridal party would have been a challenge - one girl wore a petite size 2 and the other was a size 16 and tall besides.

Thats what I was curious about as well. When a friend of mine got married a couple of years ago, she went in and picked out a style of dress and then they told her what color options were available for that style. It wasnt like, "This is the dress, take it or leave it"

I would think that would REALLY narrow down your dress options if they only come in the color that is hanging for the sample...

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

Haha I called AKA. I wonder if she's president because it seems they're very afraid of her.

If she was AKA why the big aversion to pink? Seriously IIR that almost caused her to rethink the dresses right? I could understand not wanting the pepto pink and green, but the dress she ended up liking wasn't that tone of pink. Or am I confusing things? Too many loco brides/bridesmaids.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

5 time bridesmaid here. I can relate to a lot of it including the dresses wit the $500 price tags. The thing is I knew going into it the dresses would likely be expensive. Melissa bugged and needed to have her whiny butt drop kicked right out of that wedding. If she's performing like this for the dress picking she will be a nightmare for everything else. Who on earth invites the entire sorority to be in the wedding? That's a LOT of bridal party gifts. I don't feel too bad for the bridesmaid though, they knew the deal when they got the emails inviting them to be in the wedding. I kinda like the male consultants and the absence of Lori or Monte and the infamous and misused "jack em up" phrase makes this a better show than SYTTD ATL so I'll watch again.

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:07 AM

Jennie, I agree. I can kind of understand Melissa not wanting to wear a long dress considering she was short and chunky. Of course the bride was going to think the long dresses looked fabulous on her 5'10" size 6 friend. Long dresses on short stubby people only serve to make them look shorter and stubbier. Aside from that Melissa was a total witch though.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 7:37 AM

I can kind of understand Melissa not wanting to wear a long dress considering she was short and chunky.

I can too, it's just the way she handled it that bugged. I was once in a wedding and I told the bride i would wear anything/color she wanted, but please no bow on the butt. It's the last place I need attention draw. What i did not do was stomp and proclaim loudly to one and all how important it was that "I" look good in my dress. I get that these are all camera whores who have learned the reality tv rule of that the most obnoxious gets the most air time, but if she had simply pulled the bride aside and asked her to remember that a long dress might not flatter her figure it would have been a different matter. Instead she talked about how she liked to party. It made it seem like she just wanted a party dress. Well that and the fact that she was a spoiled brat.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

I'm not sure what the producers were thinking with this show. Then again Kate Gosselin is still on the air with fans no less. So what do I know.

But not a single person came off looking good. That snappish bitch who owns the shop is ridiculous. I'm fully aware of the tradition of bridesmaids in the Us footing their dress bill. But traditions evolve or pass. If you actually want your bridesmaids input and want them to pay for a dress you ultimately choose no matter the consensus used to arrive at that choice? Then I don't think the shut up and pay up attitude works. Let alone works on air.

Wait I take back the earlier comment. The bride that picked a color and fabric and let her bridesmaids choose was fine (though I was so confused at the wedding shots since I originally thought the man she married was her father giving her away; then he didn't look so old in another shot -- still). And in this modern world where grooms help their brides pay for the wedding and people are finally dropping antiquated conventions that are sexist and all kinds of silly in an age where half the marriages don't last and my generation thinks tens years almost demands a renewal ceremony; I think letting and respecting the person paying for her dress in having some input is not worth that shell-less turtle in a blond wig snapping about.

And except the spineless bride with so called friend Nikki, I found every obnoxious bridesmaid had an equally loathsome bride. Yes I thought the short little peacock puzzled bridesmaid was hideous. But I also think that the bride was reveling too much in the whole "I'm the bride, it's my time...all the time". It might be your wedding but you should at least hope that your wedding party is, well, a part of your wedding because they are happy and want to share that day with you. Instead I got the sense this was nothing more than a small battle in a long-running war. And possibly that the bride was in a better position in their feuding friendship for the first time and was really going all out.

The spray tanned thing with teeth? Simply did not want her sister outshining her. I think that for several years the older sister was the pretty one (yeah work with me here). And she loved that and that was who she was. Now younger sister is just emerging as slightly awkward and coltish and still classic and elegant. I think she mocked that grecian draped dress because not only did it really flatter her little sister but it made her little sister look like an adult. An elegant stylish adult. And I think teeth and tan was aware enough to realize that dress also might have looked much better on little sis over all the others. Again. No way she was letting her little sister look better than she did on her wedding day. I think she didn't get her wish though as I think the younger woman was going to stand out in whatever type of gown was picked.

I thought it odd that tan and teeth seemed to be expecting each bridesmaid to find her own muff. How funny if they each went out and got a white muff but only when the pictures came back could you tell, glaringly so, that each was different in size texture and even tone?

What exactly is the younger guy aiming for in his style? Are women really going to take the fashion advice of that? When he slouched in like his bones were melting and it was a race to mince across the room before he just plain collapsed, he looked like a zombie chimney sweep. Like he was hoping to be cast in Tim Burton's Mary Poppins' Nightmare Before Christmas. I swear the one suit looked like it had been repurposed from Beetlejuices wedding tux.

I'm a bit surprised that a wedding dress shop that does bridesmaids dresses doesn't do a complete styling service. Or maybe we are only seeing parties of brides that got their dress elsewhere. But all my sisters who spent small fortunes on their weddings had the same people who helped with the gown also advised on styles etc of the bridesmaids. If you had a good bridal gown experience I'd think, if you were using the same shop, you'd want to work with the same people who you trust and whose style opinions you respect.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

he looked like a zombie chimney sweep. Like he was hoping to be cast in Tim Burton's Mary Poppins' Nightmare Before Christmas.

Best. description. ever. I wondered the same thing. Why would presumably grown women (evidence of these episodes to the contrary) solicit or desire advice from a young poseur?

quaintirene

quaintirene

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 9:25 AM

That muff bride was 21?? She looked like a rode-hard-and-put-away-wet 45!

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

@heebiejeebie, I thought exactly the same thing in regards to Orange Julius bride. The younger sister may be going through teen awkwardness but I can tell she's going to be a beauty when she fully matures. That grecian dress looked gorgeous on her. I think big sis was being mean spirited and someone needs to tell her to stop buying her self tanner at the dollar store.

I also thought it was a great idea for that one bride to pick a color but let each girl choose her dress. That way the bridesmaids will be more likely to buy a dress they can actually wear again and it's a guaranteed way to ensure each one will love their dress.

I loathe the "put up and shut up" lady. Especially when she made that comment in regards to sorority bride's friends balking at paying $500 for a dress.

tortietat

tortietat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2011 @ 1:09 AM

I just can't wrap my mind around asking people to to buy an expensive dress just for the "honor" of being in a wedding. This show is a total bitchfest and I'm not sure I can keep watching even for snark's sake. You'd think they would have at least one bridal party make the dress decision without excess drama, but I suppose that wouldn't be good reality television.

Most of my friends and cousins asked me to sing at their weddings rather than be a bridesmaid, so I got off cheaply. The few times I was a bridesmaid, I had no input into dress selection other than showing up to get measured. When my college roommate got married I mailed her my measurements and the bridal shop mailed me the finished dress. Definitely not television fodderl!

Imelda

Imelda

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

I'm so glad I just told my bridesmaids to get a short, navy blue dress. They looked great and they've all worn their dresses again since then.

I was only in one wedding where the bride forced us to wear the same dress. You know where that dress is now? Probably a land fill. I threw it in the bottom of my closet and forgot about it. Then a bottle of sunscreen exploded on it and I just threw it away. It was the most expensive dress I had ever bought (aside from my wedding dress) and it was the most ill fitting, unflattering thing I've ever worn and there was no amount of tailoring that could have made it look good.. But my friend was getting married for Christ's sake, so I just wore the dress, let that ridiculous hair dresser make my hair look like shit, got drunk at the reception and danced like a fool. Cause that's what you do for your friends. Because you love them. And it's not about you.

Someone needs to tell these bitches that it's ok to be a little jealous of your friend if she's getting married before you (but don't tell her that), but you can't treat her like shit just because she found someone and you haven't yet. And someone needs to tell these brides that it's not ok to treat your friends like shit because you feel morally superior because you're getting married before they are.