Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (from Hell)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

519 replies to this topic

gingerella 000

gingerella 000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

I feel these people are so heinous they require their own thread in which to skewer them. They make the most horrible bridezilla or momzilla look like child's play.

ETA: That Molly person appeared to be mentally delayed or something, with the maturity and speech patterns of, say, a 12 year old girl, and I'm being really generous with that 12 year old part!

And the other one, the fugly bride with the orange creamsicle bronzer all over her acne'd face and her white out chicklet teeth? Gah, at least her little sister will have the last laugh on her because little sis looked gorgeous in that red dress, she has excellent fashion sense based on the long gray sheath she loved, and no doubt she will outshine her horrid looking older sister anyway. I'd wager that fugly sis gets orange bronzer all over her wedding dress on the day of, any betters out there?

Edited by gingerella 000, Jul 9, 2011 @ 12:55 PM.

Tamatchka

Tamatchka

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 12:46 PM

Heinous and boring; quite the achievement!

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

When I first saw the promo for this show, I thought they were repurposing the Atlanta show into a bridesmaids show. Wrong! Theyíre torturing us with both, bless their hearts. And I mean that in the Southern way.

Given all of the hideous bridesmaidís dresses and demanding brides out there, this should be comedy gold, but itís just not.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

It really isn't funny. How about some dress monstrosities? Can I get some hoop skirts up in here or something? (Although there was a mustard-yellow petal-skirt dress that was seriously fug, and I didn't like the orchid one-shoulder flowy dresses featured either, the ones chosen by the bride who didn't seem to know what color they would be.) I want to be mocking dresses, not gaping at meanness. Who the fuck is you (TM Chris Rock) to come in talking about "If I don't like the dress, I won't be in the wedding"? Why does the bride still know her? And the bridezilla who expects her FIFTEEN bridesmaids to spend $500+ on the dresses is another one who can suck it.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

I do like how they have 3 bridesmaids come out modeling 3 different dresses -- that's fun to see.

$500-dresses-15-bridesmaids bride is a candidate for Bridezillas, me thinks. The dress is only the beginning of the expenses. I would have to decline if the dress was $500.

Two of the other brides had bridesmaidzillas -- the one who was pouty and said mean things; the other who would only be in the wedding if the dress looked good on HER. Again, the answer from the bride is: No thank you, ma'am.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

What I'm interested in seeing is the process of finding a dress that flatters numerous body types. Like I wanna see a bride come in with a chunky bridesmaid, a tall thin bridesmaid and a 5 foot tall bm. That would be entertaining for me. But I am doubtful that will happen with the crew we've been shown so far.

Oh and the bride w/ the really small party and Nikki the attitudinal bridesmaid. Did they not know they were going be on tv? They were just really poorly dressed. I mean, you are going to shop for a formal dress, at least wear a tshirt that isn't two sizes too small - and was she wearing suspenders? And Nikki the bridesmaid w/ braces, bad skin and an attitude. She looked a mess too. Cheap tank top and tight jeans with sneaks. Nikki didn't look healthy either- between the limp hair and jaundiced eyes I kept wondering what sort of illness she had. For her to act like she's a princess had me gagging on my diet coke. There was nothing attractive about her.

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

I can't imagine anyone expecting their friends to pay $500 for a one-time wear dress in this economy. If I were those girls I'd tell the bride to shove it. I'm recently engaged and I have to say it would make me feel very guilty to ask my friends to spend hundreds of dollars in order to be in my wedding. My fiance and I decided we are going to only have a small ceremony with my sister as maid of honor and his brother as best man and we will be paying for both their outfits.

bluegirl547

bluegirl547

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

I've been a bridesmaid three times and I certainly had no say whatsoever in my dresses, so at least these women get to try some things on in advance. Having said that, I've already begun seeing repeat dresses on this show and we only have two in the can so far! I found everyone on this show to be so odious that it was difficult to watch. I'm not sure how long they can sustain this one.

blanccorail

blanccorail

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 3:21 PM

Aside from the odious behavior of some of the women, the most humorous aspect was that none of the dresses could possibly be repurposed with the possible exception of the two black dresses - especially the ruffled one.

I don't know what it is but there is something about the cut and fabrics which adds up to a dress that would be embarrassing to wear as anything other than a bridesmaids dress. Some of them like the orchid/pink numbers with one sleeve were odious in every way while most of the others had something "off" about them.

Perhaps it's the price point as I don't think you can get "fancy" formal wear at the $200 price point - especially in colors. I think cheap black dresses can look expensive - or not look "cheap" whereas once you get to colors the lack of quality in fabric, cut and design become really obvious. You can get some good less expensive formal wear at lower price points but they tend to be very simple in design. And of course, formal wear goes on sale so anyone who is looking for nice "fancy" dresses for normal use would probably be able to score more expensive stuff deeply reduced.

Bravoheart

Bravoheart

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

This show has a definite trainwreck quality to it. The dresses are, for the most part, quite awful. (On the other hand, I'm old enough to remember what bridesmaid's dresses looked like back in the mid-70s. Polyester. Big floral patterns. Your basic nightmare.)

Somewhere, some bridesmaids have actually been able to wear their dresses again, but I'm sure those occurrences are few and far between. I think, if you agree to be a bridesmaid, you have to know that this is a one-shot deal and hope the bride selects something that doesn't make you look hideous and that doesn't cost a fortune. And, as others have said, you can always say no if you can't afford it or really don't want to wear the dress.

I was honestly shocked by the behavior of the bridesmaids, though. This show is my first experience with bridesmaidzillas. But just as the bridesmaids should try to go along with the program (or decline the invitation), the brides should consider her bridemaids' budgets, body types, etc. (and not just scream "It's in the email!").

I'd actually like to see a version of this show set at Kleinfeld's. Most of the brides on the NY show seem to be older, and I assume the bridesmaids would be too. I think it would be more interesting. A little of these Southern child brides goes a long way.

I might be confusing this show with the Atlanta bride one, but is this the first time we've seen a male consultant?

Edited by Bravoheart, Jul 9, 2011 @ 3:53 PM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

I might be confusing this show with the Atlanta bride one, but is this the first time we've seen a male consultant?

Yes. I'm guessing he's confined to bridesmaid purgatory (seriously, the way Lori talked about it you'd think they were required to swallow knives down there or something. Presumably she started this business on purpose, so I don't know why she's so damn stank all the time) because bridesmaid dresses don't require the consultant to actually dress the wearer. Bridal gowns totally do - the consultant is in the dressing room, helping them in and out of gowns, etc.

mariposa

mariposa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:15 PM

Kleinfeld doesn't sell bridesmaids dresses. But Lori's does, which is why this show is set there.

Who the hell makes $500+ bridesmaids dresses? The one time I was a bridesmaid, we wore floor-length Vera Wang, and that cost about $320. (Thankfully, it wasn't made of shiny taffeta. After two years in my closet, I had it cut to knee length, and I'll be wearing it to a wedding next week!)

Edited by mariposa, Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:16 PM.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

How about some dress monstrosities?

Those shiny pepto pink one armed "Asian" dresses were pretty hideous.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:47 PM

You know what I did for my bridesmaids? I gave them a colour and manufacturer/brand (I used Dessy, so there was A LOT of choice) and told them they could get whatever style they wanted (as long as it was not long). Of course, a bride telling her bridesmaids to do this won't really have a good show to film - LOL!

Edited by PRgal, Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:47 PM.

gingerella 000

gingerella 000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:53 PM

Kleinfeld doesn't sell bridesmaids dresses. But Lori's does, which is why this show is set there.

I do think K's sells at least "formal wear" dresses because we've seen a mother of the bride or two get their dresses at K's and they didn't look like colored bridal wear. Maybe at K's you get a classier version of bridesmaid dresses?

Those options at Lori's didn't look like a very "high class" selection given that Miss Lori acts like she's the poster girl of class and elegance.

When they panned across Molly's posse I nearly choked on my drink. Talk about a variety of the worst weaves and highlights I've seen in a very long time. It looked like they all got Toni home highlight kits and without any thought to what flatters them, they just painted on a whole lotta ass on their hair. Really, they all need to be dipped in some sort of fumigation solution and sent down a conveyor belt to be re-done.

This show should be funny, but these brides appear to be mentally challenged and their posses appear to be suffering from misplaced delusions of trailer trash grandeur. What I do wonder is that poor bride with the Nikki "miss thang" bridesmaid? If she takes that amount of abusive bullshit from someone she thinks is her "good friend", then I shudder to think what sort of emotional abuse she'd be willing to take from a man. I really hope her fiance isn't a prick because girlfriend has serious self esteem issues if she thinks that's what friendship looks like. And I think that's why this show so far, isn't funny - or fun - at all. It's just not fun to watch people who are mentally off, insane, and lacking in self esteem to the point that they'd take this shit from supposed friends.

And Nikki the bridesmaid w/ braces, bad skin and an attitude. She looked a mess too. Cheap tank top and tight jeans with sneaks. Nikki didn't look healthy either- between the limp hair and jaundiced eyes I kept wondering what sort of illness she had. For her to act like she's a princess had me gagging on my diet coke. There was nothing attractive about her.

To me, Nikki bore a striking resemblance to a crack ho who earns her money on her knees in some back alley. You could not pay me enough to try on a dress after she tried it on, that's how skank 'n stank she looked, so to think she was all that is ludicrous. It's so insane that its not even funny.

Edited by gingerella 000, Jul 9, 2011 @ 4:54 PM.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

I do like how they have 3 bridesmaids come out modeling 3 different dresses -- that's fun to see.

Yes! Comparing and contrasting choices is half the fun of shopping. You really can tell more about the dresses on women as opposed to on a hanger. This was the best part of the show. And like the employees at Lori's (we really need to give Lori a nickname) would ever kick someone out for attitude- right....

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

I liked the guy consultant but he struck me as trying waaaaaay to hard with that hair.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

What I do wonder is that poor bride with the Nikki "miss thang" bridesmaid? If she takes that amount of abusive bullshit from someone she thinks is her "good friend", then I shudder to think what sort of emotional abuse she'd be willing to take from a man.

That crossed my mind, too. How could a person have a meaningful friendship with someone who says, "I know itís not my wedding, but I think Iím just as important as the bride." Ugh.

Really, with both Nikki and that obnoxious brunette in the previous episode, the brides should be saying, "You know, youíre right. I donít want to put you through all the stress of wearing a dress you donít like, so Iím going to do you a favor and not have you in my wedding." If theyíre creating drama while picking a dress, theyíre going to be creating drama all the way up to the big day.

I have to say I did laugh when both Nikki and the other awful bridesmaid in the first episode both looked as if they were on the verge of tears from the horror of trying on a dress they didnít like. God.

The obnoxious bride with 15 bridesmaids was annoying all the way through, but doubly so when I heard toward the end that they came up from Houston to try on dresses. I donít imagine the bride paid for that, either.

Iíve had two bridesmaid dresses that I could have worn elsewhere, but I never did. I think that in my mind, they remained bridesmaid dresses.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

• Interests:Politics, travel, and TV - of course. I love TV so much I watch a lot on my vacations. The hotel room has to be nice enough where I can spend all day watching TV that has a myriad of channels from which to choose.

Latest recommendation:

Hotel: Novotel al Dana Resort in Manama, Bahrain

Memorable TV Moment at Hotel: Watching Big Love (my favorite show at the time). I listened to the English under the Arabic dubbing.

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

Hahaha. You mean orchid? Those were hideous. As were a lot of them. The "gold" one was so awful. Sometimes I really do think bridesmaids dresses are intentionally horrible to make the bride look even more beautiful.

When they panned across Molly's posse I nearly choked on my drink. Talk about a variety of the worst weaves and highlights I've seen in a very long time.

The blonde one was the worst. I wonder if Bridezilla was like the AKA president or something. To be able to tell her sorority sisters what to do like that?

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

As awful as Molly was, it sounds like her bridal party knew exactly what they were signed up for. They all received "the email" explaining that Molly was in charge and they were expected to fall in line without complaint. Molly would decide how they wore their hair, what dresses they'd wear, and it sounds like she even told them the price range for the dresses. Peer pressure notwithstanding, they knew exactly how it would be, and they showed up anyway. It makes me wonder if ALL of Molly's friends are spineless, or if she actually asked a lot more women to be in the wedding party and the smart ones bailed out, leaving the 15 who were willing to subject themselves to the tyranny of Bridezilla.

Meanwhile, I thought it was interesting that Molly, who was all "it's my way or the highway" passed on the "pink" dresses. She liked the gowns and she liked the color. But ultimately she said no because other people might think the dresses were pink and not purple. It was a telling moment. Miss "it's all about me" is as insecure as everyone else. Otherwise she would've chosen those dresses and to hell with anyone who had a problem with the color.

Anyway, I'll keep watching this show. It's not as good as the original recipe "say yes", but it's better than "Say Yes: Atlanta" and "Say Yes: big bliss."

Edited by SleepyJean, Jul 9, 2011 @ 10:30 PM.

mtbingmom

mtbingmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

I believe that was Tinnell.

Tinnell and Marcus

kems28

kems28

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

Tinnell has a post about her SYTTD experience on her blog. Apparently she filmed a regular bridal episode in addition to the bridesmaid episode. I wonder if/when that's going to air?

Bringing over what I said on the other thread...

I cracked the hell up during the muff bride segment, when they cut to the guy consultant wrapped in some kind of white fur sheath. It was only on screen for a second, but it was hilarious!

That Melissa chick was one of the most hateful people I've ever seen on TV. Why in the world was she even friends with the bride? When she said she couldn't care less about being Maid of Honor, my jaw dropped. I hope the bride sees that and drops that bitch.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 11:23 PM

I could not believe the girl who said she wouldn't be in the bridal party unless she liked the dress! She was such a sour faced bitch and for all her talk about being picky and so on she really just seemed like someone who likes to bitch for attention sake. The dress that they ended up with wasn't all that great and didn't even look particularly pretty on her (IMO it was a ugly, flat shade of black. Could have been my TV, I guess, but it was nothing to write home about.). I don't even think it was something she thought was fantastic, because I don't think she has any actual taste, I just think she had gotten her requisite amount of complaining in so she settled on a dress. That whole group was odd. The bride seemed like she was about 14 years old and a little slow. I thought it was telling that we got very little back story on her and her fiance. It made me wonder if she really was a child bride or something.

The pink one shouldered dress was awful, but the bride seemed happy. I ended up liking her best because I figured she must be a pretty nice person if all of her friends were willing to wear such a hideous dress with such happy attitudes to help her celebrate her big day. I'm a believer in just doing what the bride wants if its in your power. I've worn some bad bridesmaids dresses, but it not about the dress. It about being there for someone you love and helping them celebrate and making them feel special for a day. I say if you can't do it with a smile on your face then go home. That's why even the oh so hip and fashionable little sister in the winter wonderland wedding (Sorry Ė I can't seem to remember any of these people's names!) got on my nerves. She pulled it out at the end, but I wanted to smack her for most of that segment. Yes, yes, yes, your sister is a cheesy tanorexic, stereotypical southern girl and you are cool and sophisticated and planning your escape to NY. Got it. I was a snotty teenager too. Now please SHUT THE FUCK UP and let your sister have the wedding she wants! When you get married you can make her wear a simple black sheath and pose for pictures in front of an abandoned warehouse. OK, all better?

Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

How does the male bridesmaid dress consultant work? I mean, he's not helping the girls into their dresses certainly. So is there like an outside consultant and a dressing room consultant? And how do they split the commission?

That pink one sleeved number sometimes had the sleeve and sometimes didn't. It was odd.

blanccorail

blanccorail

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

How does the male bridesmaid dress consultant work? I mean, he's not helping the girls into their dresses certainly. So is there like an outside consultant and a dressing room consultant? And how do they split the commission?

Typically most women don't have someone in the dressing room when they are trying on regular dresses. If they needed help with a back zipper their friends do it or even another sales consultant since it only takes a moment.

There also don't seem to be the same problems with fit since even if they want to try on a dress there seems to be a dress available in that size. I also think a lot of these dresses are bought without anyone trying them on - i.e. the bride selects the style and color - maybe with input from one person.

SnarkyBean

SnarkyBean

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 8:01 AM

Way too much manufactured drama. Unfortunately that won't stop me from watching the show.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Agree for sure, but I've seen worse.

I think he's just like any other salesperson in a retail store. As blanccorail said, the bridesmaid dresses don't require the salesperson to actually help the customer in and out of them like the bridal gowns do, so he just pulls dresses in accordance with whatever the bride says she's looking for, the same way the salesperson at Banana Republic would pull suits for you.

From Tinnell's (her siblings' names are Tiffany and Lawrence, sucks that she got stuck with Tinnell) web page, it says that Marcus plays basketball in Switzerland. Maybe her sorority sisters are like "Let's just get through this and then she leaves the continent." Also, she's an AKA. My mom's an AKA (who did not have the whole damn chapter up there with her, Jesus) so at first I thought "Eeesh, do I have to like her?" But my mom would tell her about herself, so no, she's still a Bridezilla.

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 12:11 PM

I've seen only 10 minutes of this mess and I'm done. There are not enough words to react to this idiocy. Nasty brides, shrewish bridesmaids and a maid of honor that has not an ounce of honor in her body. This one is way over the top in the 15 Minutes of Fame category.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

• Interests:Politics, travel, and TV - of course. I love TV so much I watch a lot on my vacations. The hotel room has to be nice enough where I can spend all day watching TV that has a myriad of channels from which to choose.

Latest recommendation:

Hotel: Novotel al Dana Resort in Manama, Bahrain

Memorable TV Moment at Hotel: Watching Big Love (my favorite show at the time). I listened to the English under the Arabic dubbing.

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

Haha I called AKA. I wonder if she's president because it seems they're very afraid of her.

pandamanda

pandamanda

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

The "bad friend" bridesmaids must be going through something. Not that that excuses them, but Nikky and Melissa's reactions were just bizarre. Nikky was about to start blubbering and launch into a nervous breakdown in her little speech about how she mattered too. Same thing with Melissa, she just looked furious and on the edge in the conversation about her mother.

I think sometimes women's friendships can get crazy. Who knows what background drama is going on there. Separation anxiety? Payback/ history with the bride?

Maybe I'm over thinking and it really is as basic as these are jealous bitches, and they'll only be a bridesmaid if it means looking hot and snagging a man themselves. But they seemed too emotional for something that simple.

Muff lover bride needed to lay off the fake tanner. Sheesh. They like recycling the bratty younger sister fashionista don't they?