Home by Novogratz: They Killed Off the Kids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

I thought that they would finally get it with this "Mad Men" retro pad, but WTF? I felt like everything should have been scaled up about 25%. Actually, I felt as if they should get rid of everything that they did and replace it with good decor that would fill the room better.

I knew that this would be a fail when they said that they were going for a 50s look, like in Mad Men...which is set in the 60s.

On a side note, how did they move the cables for the tv? Or did they just run them along the base boards? Is this kosher in the interior design world?

doublebungalow2

doublebungalow2

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

Does it bug anyone else that you can barely (sometimes never) see Bob's teeth when he talks?

I saw his teeth for the first time tonight when he laughed.

Boomer58

Boomer58

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

Oh dear, oh dear. Those poor guys and their "bachelor pad." They wanted something cool and urban with a retro vibe for entertaining, and they ended up with a bunch of random stuff thrown together -- bamboo "Tikki"-style bar, blue and cream diagonal stripes on one wall, ugly industrial "LUNCH" letters on the other, and those hideously cheap-looking fake animal heads. Hate to use this cliche, but the result was the futhest thing from "cohesive." Agree with the comment that maybe one animal head would have looked kind of clever and cute, but four? All Bob Novogratz seems to do is run around meeting with really "cool" and "sick" local artists and coming back with stuff that more often than not doesn't work. At all.

Some of the elements, as usual, were pretty good on their own: the vintage couch/coffee table set and the green leather chair, for example. But whatever is actually cool gets lost in the shit that surrounds it.

I also like Courtney much better than Bob. She seems down-to-earth, friendly, and unpretentious although not nearly as talented as she must believe herself to be. Too bad she's married to a douchebag.

I keep coming back to the conclusion that their best work is with large commercial spaces such as retail stores and hotels. Private spaces, not so much.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

My favorite part of this whole episode: during the reveal, while showing the "before" artwork, she comments that they used to have some "weird" artwork on the walls. Cut to the "after," with giant random mounted-animal-head art all over the place. Yeah, because THAT'S perfectly normal artwork and not weird at all.

Mulva106

Mulva106

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

First time watching this show. The male designer is very homely and looks like he needs better hygiene habits. The makeover on the hotties' apartment was awful. The furniture looked too small and uncomfortable. The tikki bar belonged in a backyard, not a living room, especially not with a piano. The LUNCH letters were horrible. The animal head artwork might be good for a basement, not a living room. This show sucks.

OrangeClockwork

OrangeClockwork

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

I think I'm only watching for Cortney at this point; she's very natural and has a good presence. Agree that they do a better job with commercial versus personal spaces. They never seem to get the scale right and their furniture choices don't work for living spaces. I mean, you could tell the bachelors were underwhelmed. I always cringe when they do the reveals.

scorpia

scorpia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Just watching the season in Canada, perhaps it's airing later? That bamboo bar was an embarrassment. The place reminded me of the worst university apartments I've ever seen.

I just saw the lesbian couple's "beachy" house. I am really getting sick of the street art crap. They, however, seemed to like a bunch of posters put up on the wall with paint splattered on it. I know it's cliche, but my kids could pull off that look.

Oh, and crinkles and lines all over the place isn't "edgy", it's poorly done. That's why it would take your guys a day to wall paper a room, because they would make sure it's smooth and the seams are done well.

Mr. N, is it Bob?, is stuck in his mid-twenties emotionally. He tries to be mister Hipster and it's sad because he has 7 kids, and he ain't 25 anymore. Time to grow up, buddy!

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Can someone help me please? Was this show cancelled?

~tina~

NeenerNeener

NeenerNeener

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Tina - according to the Futon Critic (www.thefutoncritic.com) the next season starts Aug 4th. I'm surprised we haven't seen commercials for it yet.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Thank you so much NeenerNeener, love your name by the way!I like Courtney, but I guess I am not hip or sophisticated enough to appreciate their design.Maybe design taste is different on the West Coast( I am from Los Angeles)

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

No, tinaou09, they seem to me to be the kind of trendy designers that a particularly insecure person who wants to have a cool place but has no idea what that means would engage. It's impractical, poorly executed, and kind of a caricature of trendy, but they and their clients seem completely unaware.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Thank you Bo for normalizing me... I know things are different from region to region, but I started to think I was a bit of a bumpkin for hating almost everything I see on their show.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

You're definitely not alone, tinalou. If you have to try as hard as those two to be cool, you're definitely not cool, IMHO.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Show crossovers! Home by Novogratz did the Pioneer Woman's daughters' bedroom. The new season premieres tonight.

http://thepioneerwom...m-by-novogratz/

Edit b/c WTH is this font problem? Grrr...

Edited by maggiethebeagle, Aug 4, 2012 @ 5:43 PM.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

A mashup between Novogratz and the Pioneer Woman with children - who would have thunk it? It would be interesting to know how that came about - not exactly a combination that comes to mind.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Pioneer Woman blogged about redoing the room with her daughters last year, they were going to do all the work themselves and she was asking about carpet squares. Then she blogged they hadn't had time to do anything, but they were still planning on it, and next thing mentioned is that HGTV contacted her as asked if this show could do it as a crossover. I noticed on the show the designer woman said that Ree contacted them. It would seem HGTV and FN are under the same parent company.

The room did turn out really well for such an odd space. It looked so much bigger with the bright white paint and the new carpet. While I like the idea of the hanging beds, I don't know how much I would want to sleep in one.

CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Personally, I thought the carpet squares, hanging beds, and paint-by-number wallpaper were hideous. I felt kinda sorry for the girls who will have to live in that craptastic space. The closet shelves looked poorly done with visible gaps between the wood--hard to explain, but it appeared cheap.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

All I can say it...DITTO CruiseD

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I also was wondering about those hanging beds when I first saw them in Ree's blog. I am wondering if they are moving every time the person moves ? Sure hope there is some good support in that ceiling to carry the weight. I had never heard of these people before, didn't know they had a show.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I had never heard of these people before, didn't know they had a show.

That's why they hooked up with Ree. Now all of her bazillion followers know about them.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Bay...I wonder what will happen as the girl mature develop and gain weight?

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Watched the latest episode. God, these people grate on me. I hate how they try to act and dress all hip and cool, throwing out words like "sick" all the time. Are they supposed to be hippies or something? And WTF is up with their kids names? They remind me of River Phoenix's weird family.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

Ah, this show is back. I see that Bob is a douchey as ever. I so wanted to knock that hat off his giant head. The only thing that was interesting to me was learning how they suck up to media types. They had the editor of Design Sponge on to plug her book and they were very deferential to her. I do think it's interesting how marginally talented hipsters have managed to brand themselves and turn it into a very lucrative career.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

"marginally talented", LOL I didn't think they were that talented.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Let's organize the books by COLOR - because we are stupid AND sacrilegious.

These people are neither cool nor hip.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Multiple toiles in a boys room. As if one toile wasn't enough? Oh right, I'm not a designer.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

If you want to find the three types of posts that makes the Apartment Therapy crowd go nuts they are in this order:

• knock offs vs. originals
  • books as decor/arranged by color
I love when things can be beautiful and useful, but if they are only beautiful and not useful (of course excluding art) then what good are they? Child: I need to look something up in the dictionary. Me: That's in the red section. Books arranged by color is one of those design trends that I thought would go away five years ago and yet, still here. I think it has a certain traction with a certain type of hipstery scenstery crowd...cough, cough Bob Courtney.

SamX

SamX

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

I have to arrange books by size. If they are not in that order when they are shelved/stacked it drives me batty. There is no way I could work in a library. It is my one irrational obsession in the way that some cannot allow there to be 2 cabinet doors open at once.

These people are neither cool nor hip.

She is ok; he is creepy; together they are freaky creepy. They have horrible taste in furnishings IMO. This is coming from someone who has no taste himself, but I could swing a cat by the tail in a furniture store and hit better pieces than they come up with by design, and save my clients a truckload of money in the process.

+

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

There was an episode of Mad About You (season 2, when it was still funny) where Jamie quit her job and is bored out of her mind, so she organizes all of their bookshelves by color. A hilarious visual gag and a sure sign to Paul that she has completely lost it. Now people do this for real? Too funny.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Don't forget books stacked on the floor, on top of tables, under tables, on chair seats, in front of framed pictures leaned against the baseboards, etc. So if you want to see what's in each stack, you have to meander around the room bending yourself in half or lying on the floor. And if you should actually want to open a book & look inside, you have to play Jenga. I do this whenever I move & unpack cartons of books -- guess I've been "designing" all these years....