Dance Moms

• Please log in to reply

8403 replies to this topic

LauraGilmore

LauraGilmore

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

It was referenced on Nurse Jackie not too long ago either. The characters basically said once you start watching then you are addicted. Which is just so true! lol I am really looking forward to the new season. When does it start? I was thinking maybe June 5th but not sure if that is correct?

mommyserenity

mommyserenity

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

We were at a dance competition in Atlanta this past weekend and Abby was there with the girls. They were given an entire ballroom to dress/relax in while all the other dance teams were made to dress etc...in hallways or bathrooms. Most of the girls seemed pleasant when people spoke to them, Abby was in usual form barking orders. There were some mistakes in her girls' routines p, however they still won a good many awards. Some other teams there felt there was some unfairness in the awards to showcase Abby's girls since cameras were obviously rolling.

Jaynut

Jaynut

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

results from the ohio comp when they go against candy apples (again, eye roll)

Unfortunately, what those results don't mention is that four or five local dance companies chose not to participate in the competition because it was being filmed by Lifetime for Dance Moms.

I read that in the Akron Beacon Journal the day before the competition. It was held at the Akron Civic Theater. I live in Akron, and didn't feel the need to go watch.

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

I think Dance Moms was also mentioned on Community as well.

I'm watching the re-run where Maddie, Chloe and Paige are doing the three-month-old trio, and aren't remembering it well. I remembered that Abby is a horrible excuse for a human being, but I forgot just how horrible. Calling Paige a ding-dong (and not even in a funny, teasing way?)?! Totally unacceptable. I don't care if she's just acting for the cameras...she is horrible.

ETA: I also noticed that Melissa hugged Paige in the locker room after that incident. Which means that even my least favorite mom on this show is better than almost all the moms on Dance Moms Miami.

Edited by dreamcoat11, May 22, 2012 @ 7:24 PM.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Here are the results for Six Weeks of competitions, April 14-May 20. Please don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

Spoiler

Edited by Tasya, May 22, 2012 @ 8:58 PM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

Some other teams there felt there was some unfairness in the awards to showcase Abby's girls since cameras were obviously rolling.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this is true.

becw182

becw182

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

thanks for all those results taysa :)

becw182

becw182

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

videos for the dance mom Pittsburgh (paige and maddie) doing their solos from this weekend :)

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=opoA9JOyKiw
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=hZCfpkIcYag

KringleSlice

KringleSlice

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I was just watching some of the reruns that Lifetime is airing tonight before the DM Miami finale, and I noticed some differences in content. I have the Waiting for Joffrey episode from iTunes, and it is missing a part that was in the episode aired tonight. In the version on now, Kelly says something about Abby constantly telling Brooke that she has a big butt and throwing it in her face that Paige has a perfect body. I just went back and checked, and this comment was cut out entirely in the iTunes version, and instead, Christi makes a comment about being super skinny as a child. I just thought it was odd, and I wonder why it was cut out.

appledumpling

appledumpling

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

NightLine is doing a piece on Dance Moms in a few minutes, if anyone is interested.

astaire

astaire

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

Here is the Dance Moms segment.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

From that preview with poor Paige and the chair, it looks like Abby has discovered spray tanning.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Every piece I've seen lately and the previews seem to be playing up Abby's nasty side. I hope she didn't ramp up the crazy just for ratings. What was sad to me was hearing the kids say that the show is what their dance lives are really like.

Edited by Absolom, Jun 1, 2012 @ 1:44 PM.

Venee

Venee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

The Moms seem to be in 7th heaven with all this popularity and exposure. They'll stay there and let their children be treated however which way for that reason alone. I think if it is the child's dream to really become a dancer, and there is real potential and talent there, this show can't be good. There is no way they can focus and hone the skills they will need to grow and be at the level they'll need to be as dancers, to even have half a chance in the real world of dance. On the other hand, since dance and success in that field is so fleeting, maybe they figure they'll "get while the gettin's good". There's a new documentary out that I'm dying to see called "First Position" http://www.balletdoc...ficial-trailer/ . It looks fascinating and the children are stunning dancers. (much different than what we've been treated to.) Many of the children featured are around these girls ages. Success seems to require that singular Olympic type focus. When the lights go out on "Dance Moms", what will be left?

Edited by Venee, Jun 1, 2012 @ 11:20 AM.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I think the mothers are well suited where they are or they wouldn't be there. It doesn't speak well to me of their concern for their children as I would have never entered a child with Abby for any reason. She seems unstable to me. For that matter, if any of the children truly desire a dance career they are more than likely in the wrong place. The competition dances Abby is teaching them won't get them as many jobs as learning actual dancing technique and fluidity.

alaskaiscold

alaskaiscold

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

We were at a dance competition in Atlanta this past weekend and Abby was there with the girls. They were given an entire ballroom to dress/relax in while all the other dance teams were made to dress etc...in hallways or bathrooms.

SMH. My 4-year-old isn't competing yet, but I'd imagine that would piss me off--as a parent or a dancer! That's a shame if the judges were biased in favor of the Dance Mom girls.

I'll admit that I'm very much looking forward to the return of the Pittsburgh girls on Tuesday... I tried to get into DM Miami and I just couldn't.

Edited by alaskaiscold, Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

I could not get into the Miami one either. I hope they post episodes quickly though because I do not have cable for the next few months! Ahh I do not want to miss it.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

My wife is thrilled with the return of the original DM on Tuesday. The best thing about Miami is the theme song.

alaskaiscold

alaskaiscold

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

The best thing about Miami is the theme song.

Laughing...totally agree with this. I've been known to bust out with a "DOWN IN MIAMIIIIIII" once or twice throughout the day. Much more catchy than the original's theme song.

LauraGilmore

LauraGilmore

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Yes I agree. The Dance Moms: Miami theme song is awesome. I make sure I turn the volume up loud when it plays.

But back to original Dance Moms. I am soooo excited for Tuesday. While I grew to like DM: Miami some this one is definitely my favorite.

The nightline segment was interesting but pretty much everything we've already heard. Although surprisingly I do agree with Abby on one thing. I get sick of kids getting trophies simply for participating. I liked her suggestion of a t-shirt, water bottle, sweat towel, etc.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

In reference to the moms and kids being happy with Abbey is irrelevant IMO because I'm sure they sign contracts that commit them to this TV show for a certain amount of time and can't leave even if they wanted to.( unless they go to crazy Cathy) which is staged.

Edited by Laurie4H, Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:37 PM.

alaskaiscold

alaskaiscold

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

The nightline segment was interesting but pretty much everything we've already heard. Although surprisingly I do agree with Abby on one thing. I get sick of kids getting trophies simply for participating. I liked her suggestion of a t-shirt, water bottle, sweat towel, etc.

Yes, I agree. I think it's more exciting to win a trophy when it actually MEANS something.
New episode tonight! I've even got my hubby watching it, LOL. Show's addictive.

TenPea

TenPea

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

There is lots to snark on..but I have to just say one thing:

All of these kids are great. Especially in these circumstances. They seem to support each other and somehow manage to be friends. I can't imagine how confusing this all is for them. They work so hard and, at those ages, their homework is tough, too.

Chloe, especially. That kid is talented, good-hearted, and beautiful inside and out.

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

We were at a dance competition in Atlanta this past weekend and Abby was there with the girls. They were given an entire ballroom to dress/relax in while all the other dance teams were made to dress etc...in hallways or bathrooms. Most of the girls seemed pleasant when people spoke to them, Abby was in usual form barking orders. There were some mistakes in her girls' routines p, however they still won a good many awards. Some other teams there felt there was some unfairness in the awards to showcase Abby's girls since cameras were obviously rolling.

I've heard that most dance competitions dressing rooms are these huge free-for-alls where you have hundreds of kids and parents in one backstage area. They would not be able to have the cameras back there for concern of filming kids while they were changing. Also the producers love to film backstage fights and it's easier to do that if the moms have a backstage area to themselves

WeedWaiter

WeedWaiter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Maybe it's just me, but tonight the moms were more annoying than Abby. Of course that isn't saying much all around.

WarOnTara

WarOnTara

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Ugh. Abby lost me at "Some kids are JUST SPECIAL!"

Merrythought

Merrythought

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

With all the screaming and fighting and insults, I have to wonder why these moms just simply do not remove their daughters from the school and find another teacher. They think she is stale and do not like her choreography, so what is the incentive to keep their daughters in a place where there is so much yelling and lack of support? It just at times seems like Abby is unprofessional and emotionally abusive and the moms are very disrespectful and do not know boundaries.

What is this show supposed to display? It reveals the worst behavior of all the participants and certainly Abby does not teach a good competitive dynamic. She makes it all about her and her needs and reputation.

She represents a red flag of what moms should avoid.

Edited by Merrythought, Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.

alaskaiscold

alaskaiscold

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

A few thoughts...

Still cracks me up that Melissa and her girls literally zoom by in the intro. I thought they'd have changed that by now; I didn't even realize they WERE in the intro for the longest time. Perhaps I'm just not observant enough.

Abby has all the girls en pointe already? Did I hear that correctly? She was bitching at Brooke because she wasn't en pointe "like all the other girls" at the Joffrey audition and she said that looked bad to the judges. Don't know why she'd have 8 year olds en pointe...yikes.

Portraying the girls as rich little 'brats'--"I want it Now". Um, ok. Better than some of her concepts, I guess.

The moms pushing Melissa to confront Abby about supposedly lying when she left the comp was lame. Let it go. I generally like Christi but she was practically salivating over the thought of Melissa and Abby fighting. Don't know if I'd call it "bullying" like Melissa did, but its definitely inappropriate. They took it too far, marching her down to 'confront' Abby at the front desk...can't say I blame her for backing out. (Side note, does anyone know what's up with the preview of Melissa asking Abby if she cheated for Maddie?)

Christi is trying to keep throwing out snarky one-liners, and its starting to feel a little forced. I wish she'd just tone it down.

Cathy bragging over her 9th place "victory" makes me giggle and cringe at the same time. Embarrassing, but what's new. Hope we see her as little as possible this season.

Wasn't overwhelmed by any of the choreography tonight. Have to wonder if it was intentional on Abby's part as Chloe was featured in lieu of Maddie. I felt for Maddie in this episode, she seemed at times to really be playing with Maddie's head. Chloe's, too, for that matter, but poor Maddie just looked so tortured tonight. Something that struck me was when the moms started complaining (again) about Abby hugging/comforting Maddie but not the other girls. Abby said something like "that's because your girls go to YOU (their mothers)." I've noticed many times how Melissa seems to be lacking as a mother, especially when her kids are upset, and I thought it was telling that Abby basically says that Maddie goes to her for comfort over Melissa. Maybe I'm making too much of an offhand remark but the Abby/Maddie relationship is certainly unique and 'special.' I wouldn't be surprised if in some way she looks at Abby as another maternal figure. She's certainly with Abby nearly as much as she's with her mom

Total fluff, but I looove the little pink sequined hats they were wearing in the group dance.

Okay, I've rambled enough for one evening.

LauraGilmore

LauraGilmore

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Oh how I missed this show. So much yelling, so much fun LOL

The first thing on my mind is when Abby had Chloe dance and the other girls tell her "what she did wrong" Now to me I actually don't mind the idea of peer critiquing. BUT Abby of COURSE went about it the wrong way. I appreciated that the girls said "Well I think it was great" and how they didn't want to say anything bad. I don't feel it's wrong to have peer critiquing. But whenever I've seen it the parents/coaches/teacher emphasize giving positive critiques and simple polishes. Had Abby encouraged the girls to say exactly what they liked and then maybe give a suggestion then it wouldn't have come across as so mean. I think it wouldn't be bad for Chloe (and the other girls) to hear critiques from people who actually WANT them to succeed unlike Abby who will tear you apart for everything. but then again they are pretty young so maybe peer critiquing isn't good for this age group. I wouldn't want it to turn into something where they feel they are judged too much and maybe the people critiquing them shouldn't be the ones in their competition group. They could have other peers from ALDC do it.

Maddie seemed so off tonight. I don't know if she was sick (they mentioned it a few times) if she was truly just so nervous, or if she just didn't have as much make-up on. She just didn't look well. And I couldn't believe Abby thought having Maddie do the solo would help Maddie's confidence. It was extremely easy to see that Maddie wasn't comfortable doing it. Now it's one thing to prep a kid all week and make them do it even if they are hesitant. But to show up at the competition when she has been told she doesn't have to do a solo and then say "oh yeah, you have to do that solo" is just cruel. I'm glad Maddie didn't do it. I think it wouldn't have been good.

Looks like next week Maddie STILL isn't herself. I hope she gets her confidence back quickly. I don't like seeing her this way.

Mackenzie was adorable. I'm surprised Abby wasn't more upset with her but of course I do think Abby has favorites and Mac is one of them. Of course she is my favorite too but I'm not the dance teacher lol.

Last thing I'll say for now, I was irritated Melissa didn't confront Abby about lying!

KringleSlice

KringleSlice

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Toward the end of the episode did I hear Abby say that Mackenzie was her only student to win a first overall award? I thought they showed Mackenzie getting 10th place after falling, forgetting, and not finishing her routine?!? Does anyone know what award Abby was referring to?