Season One: Did You Know the Children Are Our Future?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

120 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

We’re now four episodes into the ten-episode run, so I thought we could use a place to discuss the season as a whole, since a discussion like that would be off-topic in an episode thread.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

I feel the heavy Spielberg hand in the omnipresent kid-friendly distractions from the main plot. Will the children really lead us into the future and ultimately save the human race if we just listen carefully enough? Jeez, I hope not. For me, the schmaltz factor is way too high and the destruction of 99.9% of the Earth's population a bit too easy and not well explained. Maybe a few morbid details would help fill in some credulity gaps.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Yeah, I am seriously over science fiction shows turning into drama-filled schlotz fests too afraid to tell the meatiest part of the story - how it happened.

Science fiction is all about how it happened, unless you're going to use that as a setup for gripping mystery and suspense, like in Alien, 12 monkeys or the Andromeda Strain. Independence day would have been stupid if it just started after the invasion with the white-house eviscerating laser.

With this show, like The Walking Dead, it's like all the great madness has happened already. There is no life or death for the characters mystery to solve. In fact, these people sit around like it's summer at the lake house a fairly significant amount of the time. They have their wax candles and their touching moments and they wander through the woods pretty unconcerned about anything but chatting. A librarian on the loose would be more of a threat than the skitters.

It is funny because as much as I think flashbacks get overused on a lot of shows, here is a great place where violent flashbacks could infuse the show with some direction and purpose. A flashback to bombs dropping, kids screaming and a great harness scene would get us all invested. Imagine seeing some kids running from the skitters and then they are literally throwing harnesses at kids backs as they run away. The weight knocks the kid to the ground and the kid screams as the harness attaches itself. That would in turn make the scene with Mike sticking the gun in the skitter's mouth more understandable. As it is, the actors are trying to pull emotion from seemingly nowhere. It looks like you just are on an overly long camping trip and you can't seem to find a good place to build a fire, as opposed to post-apocalyptic scurrying for safety and security against a genocidal alien army.

They also missed their The Walking Dead "little zombie girl" moment by not having to shoot the advancing kids. This show wants to be science fiction but as someone else said, in a lazy, after-school special way. "Skitters are bad for you"....the more you know ===*

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

Overall so far, I feel like the writers have Harnessed me, because like those kids, I feel, see, and understand nothing. I'm all for laying the groundwork, but this is really starting to drag. Every week starts out with Tom saying "I'm going to go get my son....and as many other kids as I can," and the captain replies with a variation of "First go scout/gather food/gather dirt bikes/check out that armory/bring back one kid, no not THAT kid, and AFTER THAT, you can go get your son."

One thing I would be totally in favor of: A prisoner exchange. The 2nd Mass gets Ben and Karen? (the blonde scout), and the Skitters get Lourdes and the youngest son.

Edited by fester01, Jul 4, 2011 @ 1:18 AM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 6:47 AM

This show is losing me, now that I realize father/son and kid drama are going to be at the core of the show. As someone who cringed everytime I heard "Waaaalt!" on Lost, I'm seeing it multiplied times ten here.

Anyone know how it's doing in the ratings? I'm guessing it's turning off hard core scifi fans, but am curious if the family angle is pulling in more viewers. Hard to imagine in that time slot.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 7:49 AM

I don't know how "hard core" my SF associates are in the scheme of things but they realize its not hard science , "Science Fiction". And they are just happy that the Skitters are not humanoid with a face prosthetic. They like touching on themes like human rape gangs operating after the fall and the radio telepathy control of the enslaved humans. For that they are willing to hand wave stuff like the Russian ammo being so freely available in suburban Massachusetts, shooting at skinny legs when a shot to the big unprotected head easily kills, walking around in a daylight refugee column, and chicken to feed the 300 just waiting for the people to arrive.

For the sub genre Military SF fan its a mess, like Nu-Battlestar Galactica after it jumped the shark. There is no way the Skitter/Mech teams even backed by fighters with the blue light bombs could have knocked out humanity as thoroughly as is being said. They are just not that tough. They keep saying they hope the show dies a painful death but its early yet so they have seen all four hours.

The action fan, depending upon how much they value realism in their action is the swing vote here. Besides Nikita,CSIs, NCISs, Hawaii 5-0 and Burn Notice there are very few opportunities of folk going into action firing machine guns. Will they sit through watching the family drama of people too pretty for the situation but not pretty enough to be on magazine covers?

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 11:54 AM

The show is ok.

The action sequences are handled quite well, and the Mechs are pretty intimidating as adversaries. I don't quite see why the Skitters themselves are so dangerous, though they do look creepy when they're skittering about the place.

There are some characters I like. Tom, Annie, Hal, Anthony, Dai, Maggie, Weaver. And others who I really don't have time for. Lourdes, Harris, Mike (now they turned him into an idiot), and Matt.

God, Matt. The one biggest problem with this show. Honestly, I do not care that no one remembered his birthday, or that his dad has to go out and protect the remnants of the human race from annihilation instead of playing catch. I really don't. This kid could get vapourised in the next episode, and I think I'd actually cheer. I don't know what the market is for characters like this on television. Seriously, who does this whiny, self important kid appeal to? Is it parents? Other kids (who probably shouldn't be watching the show)? Or do the producers really think that the average viewer wants their show dragged to a halt every ten minutes for a schmaltzy, saccharine sweet scene of father and son?

Of all the questions I have about this show, the stuff about the kids is right down there at the bottom, in teeny, tiny print. But it seems to be the one question that the producers and writers are interested in. I'm hoping the show refocuses more on the actual humans who are left free to fight, and the harnessed kids just become a de facto, albeit painful, part of life for these people.

One thing I would be totally in favor of: A prisoner exchange. The 2nd Mass gets Ben and Karen? (the blonde scout), and the Skitters get Lourdes and the youngest son.

Great idea. But I don't think the Skitters would want Lourdes or Matt, to be honest. I mean, imagine how much the kid would be wanting to play catch if his new dad had six arms instead of two?

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 3:01 PM

So far: it hasn't run me off yet.

The Spielberg touch is heavy handed (and makes me fear for Terra Nova - is that going to be sappy family drama, too?) The music is often noticeably terrible, way too sappy and obvious.

However, the mystery of the aliens keeps me interested. My theory is that we haven't seen the aliens who actually are in charge. They have assembled a slave army of mind-controlled species, of which the skitters are one. They may target bipedal species to "grow" new recruits for Mech operators, by controlling their minds with the harness. If the human resistance realizes the aliens are victims and not the enemy, that throws a new twist into the story that will keep it from just being "run around/shoot/save harnessed kids" and become boringly repetitive.

I also like Noah Wylie and Moon Bloodgood. Stephen Weber could be good with better writing (is he supposed to be guilt ridden? he comes off as a lunatic) and Colin Cunningham just needs more character development beyond wild-card status.

They also missed their The Walking Dead "little zombie girl" moment by not having to shoot the advancing kids.

Spielberg wouldn't do that. But that's the whole problem - knowing this show will go only so far and no farther robs it of dramatic tension. I shrugged at the harnessed kids because I knew nothing bad would happen.

Anyone know how it's doing in the ratings? I'm guessing it's turning off hard core scifi fans, but am curious if the family angle is pulling in more viewers. Hard to imagine in that time slot.

Ratings are solid. They were sky high in the premiere and fell 25% in the second week, but that kind of pattern is common. The strategy was to use a heavy marketing push to get a large sampling for the premiere so it could weather the drop. Now the acid test is whether they continue to drop. The demo skews old, but that's probably to expect on TNT. This week won't be any use in making a judgment, because the holiday throws everything off. DVRing will no doubt increase greatly.

Premiere ratings

Second week, with DVR ratings factored in.

Being on TNT, the Spielberg elements might help the show. If it were on AMC, they could get away with what The Walking Dead gets away with, but AMC already has their sci fi show, so...

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Jul 4, 2011 @ 3:13 PM.

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

Great idea. But I don't think the Skitters would want Lourdes or Matt, to be honest. I mean, imagine how much the kid would be wanting to play catch if his new dad had six arms instead of two?

That's how I envision humans defeating the Skitters. These two annoy them so much, the Skitters won't stick around. It's the same effect these two have on a steadily growing segment of the viewing audience.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 4:48 AM

Overall so far, I feel like the writers have Harnessed me, because like those kids, I feel, see, and understand nothing. I'm all for laying the groundwork, but this is really starting to drag. Every week starts out with Tom saying "I'm going to go get my son....and as many other kids as I can," and the captain replies with a variation of "First go scout/gather food/gather dirt bikes/check out that armory/bring back one kid, no not THAT kid, and AFTER THAT, you can go get your son."

It's funny because it's true! It's like you read my mind or something, fester01 (OMG you are Harnessed!). I haven't really watched Gilligan's Island, but I understand that every episode was them trying to get off the island, but Gilligan manages to mess it up. So every episode, they head out to get Ben, but some dumbass manages to screw things up.

Along the way they pick up the wonderful cooking rapist (or rape-enabling guy, like he didn't know or care what was happening to Maggie), a new blonde warrior woman type (so they can drop Karen, don't need two strong blonde women, nosiree), hug a lot, and exchange platitudes. Moon Bloodgood is a doctor (women are nurturing, y'all! Anything else would be wrong) and Lourdes speaks to God. A lot. Her name is Lourdes, of course, because all Catholic girls from Catholic-type countries have religious names (I have taught girls called Britney, Beyonce, Sheherazad, Jeyshree, and for one unforgettable year, Cherokee).

In episode three, I could predict all of the cliches which occurred, up to and including Rick's eyes snapping open at the end in typical vampire/zombie fashion. Like someone said in the thread for episode 4, this drivel is not what I signed up for. I thought we'd have some epic awesomeness like the Battle: Los Angeles movie. Instead we have "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaalt!", in every single episode.

Something I almost forgot - even after the first episode I was wondering about the strategy the General guy outlined, retreat from the aliens. Is that actually valid strategy? Wouldn't it be better to have the civilians retreat while the fighters (possibly, people who know what the fuck they're doing) try some infiltration of the kind Tom was describing ad nauseam (dude, I agree with you, but seriously, SHUT UP)? What's the point of "We will retreat until we can't anymore! Then we will try and retreat some more, until we meet ourselves coming the other way!"

I'm honestly starting to think the Walking Dead characters will not be able to retain the title of Camp Dinner Bell two years running - these people are seriously stupid (we'll rotate the cooking duty instead of finding people who actually know how to cook! Because food poisoning is fun for the whole family!).

I'm going to spoil myself for the next episode, and if it doesn't get any better, I'll be done with this show - and very sad about it, to be honest.

Edited by Arjumand, Jul 5, 2011 @ 4:49 AM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 6:29 AM

I haven't really watched Gilligan's Island, but I understand that every episode was them trying to get off the island, but Gilligan manages to mess it up. So every episode, they head out to get Ben, but some dumbass manages to screw things up.-Arjumand

Lol, comparing these peoples' stupidity to Gilligan's stupidity is pretty dead on. You are right about the fact that the formula for each episode (so far) has been about A). Tom stating that he has a plan to get his son back, B). Plan fails, and C). Wash and repeat. Since we are into the fourth episode, and since TNT ordered only 10 episodes, I guess it is safe to assume that the whole schmaltzy family feelings/drama are going to stay, at least for this season.

It is understandable that the 2nd Mass. will be inept but I would like to see how they improve and learn from their mistakes. As of right now, they are making serious mistakes that even a 7 year old can see (like dragging a half-conscious skitter into your HQ, or allowing an escaped convict prepare your food, not evening trying to disable the communications between the skitters, etc...) is wrong. Since Tom seems to be a military historian I would have excepted him to be the first one to say "well in [Name a War], the [Name a Side] kept their prisoners away from their base camp, so if a POW did escaped it didn't risked [Name a Side]'s ability to operate on a large scale. They also feed the [Name the Opposing Side] false information so they won't know their plans, while at the same time disabling the [Name the Opposing Side]'s communications."

I was hoping that I could enjoy watching this show, and so far all the schmaltzy family drama and the never ending history comparisons, is getting old real fast. Which is a real shame, since it is draining my fun of watching stupid people fight stupid aliens.

a new blonde warrior woman type (so they can drop Karen, don't need two strong blonde women, nosiree), hug a lot, and exchange platitudes. Moon Bloodgood is a doctor (women are nurturing, y'all! Anything else would be wrong) and Lourdes speaks to God. A lot. Her name is Lourdes, of course, because all Catholic girls from Catholic-type countries have religious names (I have taught girls called Britney, Beyonce, Sheherazad, Jeyshree, and for one unforgettable year, Cherokee).-Arjumand

I know it is only Episode 4, but we have only see four women on this show (to be technical, Moon Bloodgood's character is the only one who is supposed to be an adult, two are supposed to be teenagers, and I have no idea how old Maggie is supposed to be) and half of them I find annoying (Lourdes and Karen) and the doctor is pretty boring. In addition, I have already forgotten about Maggie (I really don't remember if she have lines in this episode).

As with Lourdes, well she is only supposed to be a generic stereotype of a religious Christian girl, and in Hollywood 99.9% of Christians are Catholics, and 99.9% of said Catholics have a religious sounding name, just because they are Catholic. Don't get me wrong, their are plenty of Catholics, in real life, who are named after stains, popes, and Bible characters, but you are right to point out that their are Catholics (who exist in reality) with modern sounding names.

It would be nice to see if Lourdes' faith/values will be tempted (like, in the original V where they developed some kind of disease that was designed to kill the Lizard people but didn't have an effect on the humans). It would be nice to see how Lourdes would deal with having the potential to commit or to be part of a mass murder/genocide (even if the the aliens did kill 99.9% of humanity first) or will she refused to do it because of her faith? I have really no idea because Lourdes (along with the other three female characters) still fell flat and unoriginal and we still don't really know why she is religious or why she is studying medicine.

Edited by TVspectator, Jul 5, 2011 @ 8:04 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 9:49 AM

Something I almost forgot - even after the first episode I was wondering about the strategy the General guy outlined, retreat from the aliens. Is that actually valid strategy? Wouldn't it be better to have the civilians retreat while the fighters (possibly, people who know what the fuck they're doing) try some infiltration of the kind Tom was describing ad nauseam (dude, I agree with you, but seriously, SHUT UP)? What's the point of "We will retreat until we can't anymore! Then we will try and retreat some more, until we meet ourselves coming the other way!"

Given that the #1 priority is survival, I think running away until you can figure out how to defeat the aliens is the right strategy. Sure they could send some fighters in to pick off some random skitters, but in the big picture, what good would that do? You'd need a lot more coordination and forces for that to work .

Plus, if the aliens are really just interested in scrap metal, maybe they'd ignore a human colony in some place like Vermont as long as they didn't cause trouble.

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

Since the captain was an Army officer, it stands to reason (to me, at least) that he has attended many training courses during his career. Some will be determined by his MOS (Military Occupational Specialty), but I believe ALL Army officers have to at least pass a BASIC infantry course at some point, because no matter if you are a cook/accountant/quartermaster or whatever, the bottom line is the Army is about land combat. Watching these first four episodes, it seems the only reason the writers made him an Army officer is so he can be a jerk, because on TV, all military officers are jerks, right? I swear, the Mechs have more of a personality sketched in than the main characters.

He needs to sit down with Tom, if he can spare him from having to do EVERYTHING ELSE, and figure out which civilians have useful skills: Cooks, mechanics, any medical training, ham radio operators (because there is no way that the best person to handle the radio is that annoying kid), etc.

They definitely need to work on hiding better, as many have pointed out. I refuse to believe that with 200ish civilians and 100 "fighters" at his command, the only useful things the civilians can do are cook, wash clothes, and take out the garbage. Maybe the General should have taken the time to divide the groups more evenly in the pilot, so each group has people who bring multiple talents to the table.

Also, with 100 fighters, why is it the same 5-6 people every time? Why not send out small groups like that in multiple directions? If nothing else, they can all bring back supplies for 2 days instead of 1.

Edited by fester01, Jul 5, 2011 @ 11:17 AM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

Plus, if the aliens are really just interested in scrap metal, maybe they'd ignore a human colony in some place like Vermont as long as they didn't cause trouble.

This is what I want to see. Skitter management. When they talk the radio signals can be that wiry classic radio sound, and have translations at the bottom.

I want to see the humans win, but I want to see the struggle from the aliens side, as they are constantly thwarted by this band of fools.

I'm honestly starting to think the Walking Dead characters will not be able to retain the title of Camp Dinner Bell two years running

Oh for sure these chuckleheads are giving CDB a run for their money. I think right now CDB is winning, but the more that dumb kid, Mike and Tom are involved, the better chance they'll pull out the victory.

analyst

analyst

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 1:36 PM

How about this? Where are the Skitters/mech tech?

Why does an advanced alien race start by invading and killing most of the populace—wait—but then stop. Hmmm. I guess they can’t kill any more as all the HEAT DETECTING!!! and NIGHT VISION!!! gear that an advanced race that could travel stars must have been left behind.

Also they must be deaf too, as the humans creep around Skitters then decide, "Hey, let’s get really loud motorbikes and zip around the countryside."

Why would an invading race go to sleep in an exposed position too, just to get petrol bombed. Also does this Skitter army not have programming for mechs to hunt at night? Amazing!

Even I could follow the trail of 300 people trampling the ground and all the litter and refuse they leave behind, the smell of the food they cook and the racket they make when they get together.

Where are all the dirty windows and floors? Everything is spotless. Skitters must randomly clean.

This father/son plot is getting very annoying. Go get him if you want to.

Who in their right mind would let a criminal who gunned down a close friend in combat start cooking for all of you? You’re just asking to die at dinner time.

Maybe the 300 souls are (hopefully) walking into a Skitter mech trap!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 5, 2011 @ 6:58 PM.
Added capitals, punctuation

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Since the captain was an Army officer, it stands to reason (to me, at least) that he has attended many training courses during his career. Some will be determined by his MOS (Military Occupational Specialty), but I believe ALL Army officers have to at least pass a BASIC infantry course at some point, because no matter if you are a cook/accountant/quartermaster or whatever, the bottom line is the Army is about land combat. Watching these first four episodes, it seems the only reason the writers made him an Army officer is so he can be a jerk, because on TV, all military officers are jerks, right? I swear, the Mechs have more of a personality sketched in than the main characters.

Captain Weaver was not necessarily an officer. General Porter said he did an active duty tour and was in the reserves for 8 years and that he did good work in the Gulf War 18 years ago. Actually Army Officers don't pass an "Infantry course" as Marines love to point out to us. Going into their senior year of college ROTC and West Point Cadets go through their advanced summer camps while a select few go to Ranger School. So they do get basic infantry squad and platoon tactics at that time. After commissioning they go to the Officer Basic Course for their branch. I only know what happens at the Armor and Cavalry courses myself. We get a lot of infantry stuff because war plans were to fight in combined arms teams. Especially after the lessons learned during the Yom Kippur War. But all must have the basic soldier skills and must prepare their units to defend themselves and not just roll over until an MP or combat arms unit from the reserve position can come rescue them.

Personally I think Captain Weaver was just a long retired ordinary soldier who was, going with the Colonial Militia ideal, elected an officer after the survivors of Boston formed into Porter's Division Now that we know the Black guy was a cop I wonder why he wasn't made an officer also. The professor was because he is smart and willing to step forward and fight, the "gentleman" ideal raising its head again.

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

Captain Weaver was not necessarily an officer. General Porter said he did an active duty tour and was in the reserves for 8 years and that he did good work in the Gulf War 18 years ago. Actually Army Officers don't pass an "Infantry course" as Marines love to point out to us. Going into their senior year of college ROTC and West Point Cadets go through their advanced summer camps while a select few go to Ranger School. So they do get basic infantry squad and platoon tactics at that time. After commissioning they go to the Officer Basic Course for their branch. I only know what happens at the Armor and Cavalry courses myself. We get a lot of infantry stuff because war plans were to fight in combined arms teams. Especially after the lessons learned during the Yom Kippur War. But all must have the basic soldier skills and must prepare their units to defend themselves and not just roll over until an MP or combat arms unit from the reserve position can come rescue them.

Great post, taiko. Thanks for the info, and more importantly, thank you for your service.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Now that we know the Black guy was a cop I wonder why he wasn't made an officer also.

I've been wondering the same thing myself since he would have way more specialized training than the vast majority AND know how to shoot a weapon as a bonus. All I can guess is that if they want to give him screen time he has to be in Professor Tom's unit or we'll never see him or get to know anything about him.

The other thing I've picked up on is that the show doesn't like to have two "minorities" together. First, they offed the cop's friend Click because two strong black men side by side might be perceived as too threatening. Then at the close of one episode, they had two blonde female fighters, which I found interesting that they cast it that way. Ooops, that didn't last long either, as Karen quickly got dragged off. So unless you're a white male of undetermined age, you're likely to be one of a kind.

Lugal

Lugal

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 1:33 PM

The other thing I've picked up on is that the show doesn't like to have two "minorities" together. First, they offed the cop's friend Click because two strong black men side by side might be perceived as too threatening. Then at the close of one episode, they had two blonde female fighters, which I found interesting that they cast it that way. Ooops, that didn't last long either, as Karen quickly got dragged off. So unless you're a white male of undetermined age, you're likely to be one of a kind.

Which means Dai should be really looking over his shoulder now.

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 5:31 PM

Now that we know the Black guy was a cop I wonder why he wasn't made an officer also.

I've been wondering the same thing myself since he would have way more specialized training than the vast majority AND know how to shoot a weapon as a bonus.

I would like to know why, if they have had six months, are there still so many "civilians" when guys like him should be training them to shoot guns? Heck, they could've run wild with that idea, maybe even some basic tactical skills? There would be more "fighters," and therefore more scouts, supply-gatherers, and guards.

Can someone email the link to this forum to the writers of this show, maybe give them a clue?

Edited by fester01, Jul 6, 2011 @ 5:32 PM.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Can someone email the link to this forum to the writers of this show, maybe give them a clue?

If these writers had to work with a clue. There heads would explode.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Every science fiction show worth its salt has a show bible. This show evidently does not which shows up in the writing, characterizations, motivations and strategies of all of the characters.

If this show is going to succeed it needs a strong showrunner behind it like Joe Straczynski of Babylon 5 who had all five seasons mapped out and only changed course at the end when he thought the show would not get a 5th season.

Some glaring things I've noticed: why haven't we seen them go into every store and clean it out of non-perishable food?

Are the skitters controlling every hospital in the Boston area and if not why haven't they gone into those hospitals and grabbed all the equipment they can get?

Why don't we know the ages of each of the characters because the younger people are so hard to figure out?

Slider

Slider

Couch Potato

• Interests:FOOTBALL!, Playing Cards, jigsaw puzzles, Pie, shooting dice in Vegas, swimming, Star Wars, inside jokes, fireworks, the Honolulu Cookie Company, Casablanca, sewing and knitting, Arrested Developement, the 4th of July, baseball, and Harry Potter

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

Some glaring things I've noticed: why haven't we seen them go into every store and clean it out of non-perishable food?

To be fair, the show takes place several months after the attacks, so I figure they've already done that. At this point, almost everything is going to be picked over.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

To be fair, the show takes place several months after the attacks, so I figure they've already done that. At this point, almost everything is going to be picked over.

True, in the first scene of the pilot they were still picking the scraps of Boston when the commander of the 2nd Mass was KIA. Since then they have dispersed to virgin, for the 2nd Mass anyway, territory. Which besides Pope's gang seems to be empty of people and populated only by Skitters and the kids of the 2nd Mass who supposedly got harnessed in Boston. The motorcycle scouts have been going ahead and scouting supermarkets and they met Pope on a mission the XO, Professor Mason thought was useless believing that any National guard Armory would have been long emptied out.

The supermarkets and food warehouses seem to be the Skitters favorite hunting grounds. They can't stake out everything but they were there when Tom and the team tried to get some food.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 11:18 PM

At this point, almost everything is going to be picked over.

By whom? They tell us that 99.9% of the world population is dead, yet if communications were immediately wiped out by the early attacks, then how the hell do they know that? How do they know anything? Maybe everything is hunky-dory in Afghanistan or Siberia or central Africa or other remote or difficult to navigate/easy to hide regions. IIRC the original Boston group was ~600 people, and greater Boston would have lot of hospitals, universities, and food stores to scavenge in. Plus a plethora of wild chickens since refrigeration should be a thing of the past.

I don't believe this show has figured out what it wants to be. Is it about post-apocalypse survival? So far, not rationally or realistically. Is it about fighting the conquering forces from beyond the heavens, creatures and technology we know nothing about? I'm not awarding high points for that either. Is it a heartfelt family drama with scary critters and cool robots with some mediocre special effects? Unfortunately, it seems to be leaning in this direction, for better or worse.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

I must have missed that piece of exposition about the food.

I still hate the treacly way this show is forcing the family first religion vibe down our throats.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

IIRC the original Boston group was ~600 people, and greater Boston would have lot of hospitals, universities, and food stores to scavenge in. Plus a plethora of wild chickens since refrigeration should be a thing of the past.

It was more then that. General Porter gave orders to the last three regiments of 300 each to disperse when he promoted Captain Weaver and Professor Mason and said that he had already sent nine, I believe, other regiments out. I still like the ideal that today we call "chicken" pigeon.

Elisende

Elisende

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

IIRC the original Boston group was ~600 people, and greater Boston would have lot of hospitals, universities, and food stores to scavenge in.

Word. According to Wikipedia, the population of the Greater Boston area is 4.5 million. Since we're scavenging in an area that has a 20+ mile radius, there's going to be even more people than that -- I've seen 7+ million chucked around as an estimate. If the major die-offs occurred very quickly, there's going to be a hell of a lot of resources left lying around. 10,000 can live for a long time on the resources required to support millions. Now, if all of those folks spent several days eating up everything they had in the house and then died, it'd be a different situation. Nobody seems all that worried about running across bodies shut up in the shops or houses, though. Where did all the bodies go?

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 12:28 PM

Where did all the bodies go?

More important what kind of weapon kills that many people. With no bodies left. No radiation.

Or do the aliens police their dead like a good sniper polices their brass.

At this point I am wondering who read this script. And said this is good stuff. Love the realism.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 1:13 PM

Where did all the bodies go?

Because the rest of us know that rotting bodies create wonderfully sanitary conditions. Has anyone noticed a surplus of chubby rats or vultures?

More important what kind of weapon kills that many people. With no bodies left. No radiation.

We know they didn't get vaporized or else Tom would never have seen his dead wife and her too heavy bag.

General Porter gave orders to the last three regiments of 300 each to disperse when he promoted Captain Weaver and Professor Mason and said that he had already sent nine,

The numbers were a bit confusing at the beginning, so thanks for the info. Does that mean there are twelve bands of 300 equal to a total of 3600 survivors in greater Boston? Would we expect similar numbers in other metro areas [excepting DC and NYC] or are we supposed to go with the dreaded but uncorroborated 99.9%? And what about Canada?