Season 1 Soundtrack

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

12 replies to this topic

ispycoffee

ispycoffee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

I've got my hands on a copy of the soundtrack for Season One and while I knew throughout that the score was really good, I didn't really get how jaw-droppingly *fantastic* it is until just now.

Has anyone else been listening to it? My current favourites are 'North of the Wall' (Track two) and 'Winter is Coming' (Track 11), but they're all utterly lovely and highly recommended. I can't rave enough!

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

Glad to hear it. I don't have it yet, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the music in this series, after dreading it during the lead up the to the premiere, when opinions in the few reviews that took note of it ranged from pedestrian to straight up bad. And then I mentioned the soundtrack here a couple of times, but literally no one cared! Lol. I am a big fan of Hans Zimmer, and Ramin Djawadi is one his Media Ventures clones (a fact that is very evident in this music).

Edited by Haldebrandt, Jul 1, 2011 @ 5:00 PM.

onestepaway07

onestepaway07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 5:25 PM

I wanted to get a copy too. I'm glad to hear the whole thing is amazing and not just the opening theme song.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 5:43 PM

We're living in oppositeville, ispycoffee, because I impulsively clicked "buy" on the whole soundtrack on iTunes and had the opposite reaction. I really wish that I had taken the time to listen to a sample of each track, because some of it is a bit creaky. It's, as you can imagine, not something to put on to cheer yourself up with, but if I had it to do over again, I'd only go for about three of the songs.

So that would be my advice on it, listen to a sampling on each before purchase if you're buying at iTunes. Also, I found it to be poorly cut and choppy. The flow is very strange when you sit down and listen to it. It sounds like what it is, a soundtrack for separate moments in the series and is laid out in the album as such. So it cuts from the stirring theme, directly into something sort of spooky sounding, back to something adventurous, etc. So it goes.

It's all good music, but it doesn't fit too well together, I thought.

Edited by stillshimpy, Jul 1, 2011 @ 5:51 PM.

ispycoffee

ispycoffee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 4:21 AM

I think that's actually what I loved about it- that each track was a self-contained 'story' as such, and that each one could work as an individual composition without needing to be supported by the rest of the soundtrack. The best example of that I can think of is 'The King's arrival' (Track 5) because it starts of soft and unassuming (and kind of flighty) and gradually becomes stronger, more assertive and more aggressive: a really good representation of 'The King' as Robert.

I have it in my car, atm, and the volume goes right up and I think it's fantastic. I'd love you to give it a second chance, but to each their own! (I also have the Glee vol 5 in my car, so clearly my own tastes vacillate!)

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

I have watched the King's arrival scene more than any other scene in the entire season, and the track is why. It is magnificent, and the only time in the series where you see why someone might want to be king.

Bored Entwife

Bored Entwife

Just Tuned In

• Interests:Reading, writing, cooking, travel. film and tv

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

I listen to it on my ipod whenever I go to the track. I love it.

sionprincess

sionprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

I bought it in actual CD format because my mother was always commenting on the music and I'm gonna give it to her. I sampled the whole thing on Amazon and liked it so I guess I'll burn myself a copy before I hand it over. I need something to tide me over until next year. And if I end up with the theme song as my ring tone, well, so be it.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 4:05 PM

I just rewatched the finale and I have to say, exciting as the ending was it was made AWESOME by the singing coming in just as Dany stood up, and then it led back into the theme. It just gave me chills. I'm really glad this is out, because I'm going to buy it!

ispycoffee

ispycoffee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 2:55 AM

Hmm... if the singing is the reason that you're going to buy the soundtrack then... don't. The singing isn't on the soundtrack; just the instrumental track.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

I love the soundtrack, especially the opening track! Is there an Emmy category for soundtracks? Because nothing else on TV can compare to GoT.

Does anyone know if Ramin Djawadi is writing music to go with the book songs like Bear & the Maiden Fair, etc?

FencerGirl

FencerGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Personally, I didn't like the score that much. I thought it was serviceable, but dull. And the only trick he knows for "showing tension" is throwing in the Drums of Doom.

In short, meh.

Phoenisis

Phoenisis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

To be honest I found the soundtrack to be pretty forgettable. It generally fit the scenes well enough (but usually without really adding anything to them), but when it stands on its own the only 2 tracks that stick in my head are the opening theme and the finale (from the birth of dragons). I'm not really familiar with the composers body of work, but I do know that he must have had relatively little time to work on this due to the late change of composers from HBO. Hopefully season 2 will be an improvement.