Revenge: Watch Your Back, Hamptons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6038 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 11:42 PM

Normally I wouldn't be interested in a show like this, but I'm interested in it as a modern take on "The Count of Monté Cristo" --with a female lead.

Wealth, beauty and status define the people in this town, but one woman is willing to destroy everyone for the sake of revenge.

Emily Thorne (Emily Van Camp) is new to the Hamptons. She's met some of her wealthy neighbors, has made a few new friends and seemingly blends into the town. But something is a little odd about a young girl living in a wealthy town all on her own, and the truth is that Emily isn't exactly new to the neighborhood. In fact, this was once her old neighborhood, until something bad happened that ruined her family and their reputation. Now Emily is back, and she's returned to right some of those wrongs in the best way she knows how - with a vengeance.

"Revenge" stars Madeleine Stowe ("We Were Soldiers," "The Last of the Mohicans") as Victoria Grayson, Emily Van Camp ("Brothers & Sisters," "Everwood") as Emily Thorne, Gabriel Mann ("The Bourne Identity") as Nolan Ross, Henry Czerny ("Mission: Impossible," "Clear and Present Danger") as Conrad Grayson, Ashley Madekwe ("Secret Diary of a Call Girl") as Ashley Davenport, Nick Wechsler ("Roswell") as Jack Porter, Josh Bowman ("Prowl") as Daniel Grayson, Christa B. Allen ("13 Going on 30") as Charlotte Grayson and Connor Paolo ("Gossip Girl") as Declan Porter.

"Revenge" is written and executive-produced by Mike Kelley ("Swingtown"), along with executive producers Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey ("Twilight"). The pilot is directed and executive-produced by Phillip Noyce ("Salt"). "Revenge" is produced by ABC Studios.

This is airing on ABC, Wednesdays at 10PM. Series premiere is Wednesday, September 21.

The father got re-cast.

http://abc.go.com/shows/revenge

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

I'm divided on this show. One the one hand, it has several actors that I really like: Emily Van Camp (never really watched Brothers & Sisters, but her performance in Everwood basically won her a lifetime fan in me, I think), Madeleine Stowe, who can probably do no wrong, and Gabriel Mann who always seems interesting. And I've always been a sucker for a revenge tale, and billing it as a modern version of The Count of Monté Cristo with a female lead is a fairly good move.

On the other hand, I saw the preview, and it didn't particularly grab me. Will have to watch a few episodes to make a final call, but I'm not sure whether to be cautiously optimistic or hopefully pessimistic about it.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:16 PM

I'm not sure that this is the show for me. I loved Emily Van Camp on Everwood, but she was a black hole of suck on Brothers & Sisters. I'm not sure if that was her fault, though. Anyway, I generally get annoyed with revenge tales. At some point the self-righteous revenge taker always kills/destroys people that had nothing to do with their original issue. They become what they hate, but the audience is still supposed to identify with them and root for them.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

How long can this story possibly go on for? This seems like it would be a much better miniseries rather than a long-running TV show, as the network no doubt hopes it will be.

Edited by Redtracer, Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:25 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:39 PM

They could go the Prison Break route, and just keep making the conspiracy more complicated. (Wait-- maybe I shouldn't jinx this show...)

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I get a sort of Nikita meets Gossip Girl vibe from the promos. Minus the spies, of course. Obviously, the revenge plot is important, but I think a lot of it is also about the complicated lives of the rich and famous of the Hamptons. They could drop the revenge plot and just focus on the latter, which I think takes away a lot of the intrigue. Or they could reboot the show and do the revenge plot from a different angle, which is how Nikita is playing it. You could spend the first season trying to take people down, and then go into the second with the revelation that her father wasn't so innocent after all, and turn it into a mystery to solve for the second season.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 10:29 AM

The pilot (with Matt Blucas still in it ) is available to watch on Kindle .

Watched it and enjoyed most of it

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

I wish they hadn't picked a boring actress (Emily Van Camp) to be the female lead.

Thought most of it was bland and boring. Madeleine Stowe was ok.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

This sounds pretty interesting to me. I'm going to try it out.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Early (spoiler-free) review.
One bit I found interesting:

Some critics have wondered: Can Emily’s quest for vengeance sustain a series? (Producers explained at TCA that it won’t always be about Emily’s revenge, and that at some point “summer” will end and the action will relocate to New York City.

(I don't know how much of a "spoiler" this is, so I blacked it out just in case.)

Edited by Trini Girl, Sep 8, 2011 @ 9:14 PM.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

I ended up watching the pre-air pilot and ended up liking it quite a bit. The Counte Of Monte Cristo parallel was pretty apt, and there were some moments I really liked, even if it's not completely flawless. The pilot did a pretty good job setting up everything efficiently, and there's always something about a tale of revenge.

Also, was that Kyle from Roswell that I saw? Aw.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 8:09 PM

I decided to read the pilot script before watching, and it's interesting to see the differences. Most of it is the same, obviously, but there are definitely quite a few noticeable changes. Mostly character names and descriptions (none of the actors are how I would have pictured the characters based on the script alone), and a lot of the flashback stuff was different. One big difference between the script and the final(?) pilot is that I more skeptical of the dad with the way the original script was written. I still think there's a good chance that he will be revealed as having not been so innocent, just to keep the story going, but he comes off better in the produced pilot than in the script. If anyone is really interested in the show, I'd suggest reading the script because I think some elements of the script that were taken out might end up as plot points later. I've seen that happen with other shows and their original pilot scripts.

Paperboating

Paperboating

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Fav shows: 30 Rock, Buffy, Angel, The OC, Legend of the Seeker, Dark Angel, Dollhouse, Batman Animated Series, How I Met Your Mother, Game of Thrones, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like me, MasterChef, Suits, Revenge, Scrubs<br /><br />Currently Interested: Dexter, Nikita, Modern Family, The Walking Dead, The Sing-off, Boardwalk Empire, The Voice, American Idol, Vampire Diaries, Pretty little Liars, House, The Big Bang Theory, Auction Hunters, American Pickers...<br /><br />On rotation: Two Broke Girls, Suburgatory, The New Girl, Pam Am, Pawn Stars, The Office, Platinum Hit, Whale Wars, SYTYCD, Next Food Network Star, Storage Wars, Buried Treasure, The Secret Circle, Ringer, Mad Love

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

Just found the pilot online. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next episodes already. It's going to be a good guilty pleasure soap. I hope audiences give it a chance.

Sadly, the previews and the promo shots for the series don't serve it justice. The feeling from the pilot is a bit more sinister.

It's nice to see Emily Vancamp again. I too remember her from Everwood and saw a few episodes of brothers & sisters (though the show bored me to tears). I'm glad she finally got her big break.

alienchica

alienchica

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

I watched the pilot online too and really enjoyed it. Does anyone knows if Revenge is going to get recap on TWoP??? I sure hope so!

Paperboating

Paperboating

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Fav shows: 30 Rock, Buffy, Angel, The OC, Legend of the Seeker, Dark Angel, Dollhouse, Batman Animated Series, How I Met Your Mother, Game of Thrones, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like me, MasterChef, Suits, Revenge, Scrubs<br /><br />Currently Interested: Dexter, Nikita, Modern Family, The Walking Dead, The Sing-off, Boardwalk Empire, The Voice, American Idol, Vampire Diaries, Pretty little Liars, House, The Big Bang Theory, Auction Hunters, American Pickers...<br /><br />On rotation: Two Broke Girls, Suburgatory, The New Girl, Pam Am, Pawn Stars, The Office, Platinum Hit, Whale Wars, SYTYCD, Next Food Network Star, Storage Wars, Buried Treasure, The Secret Circle, Ringer, Mad Love

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

Does anyone knows if Revenge is going to get recap on TWoP??? I sure hope so!

I totally agree, TWOP needs to recap this show.

Also, was that Kyle from Roswell that I saw? Aw.

I do think so! I also went aww.. that's Riley from buffy (even though I hated Riley on buffy haha).

It is nice to see Emily though in a role so different from her previous ones. I hope as the season continues, she will become darker and more ruthless. That would be exciting.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 7:32 PM

Shame, it looks like they're going to kill the hottest guy in the cast. Despite that though, I find Nolan the most interesting character and for some reason the most sympathetic.

The part with SWAT at their house was a little over the top. He may have been accused of treason but he was a suspected white collar criminal, not a dangerous drug lord. A detective and a couple of uniforms would have worked just fine without distressing the child.

Edited by Tableau, Sep 14, 2011 @ 8:05 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

I really liked the pilot episode, which was surprising because the previews I saw weren't appealing at all.

And I totally did not know that that was Nick Wechsler until I read his name here. Wow, he looks different. Or maybe I'm just terrible with remembering faces.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:59 AM

I loved the pilot episode, which is a surprise given how bland the previews were. Never saw Brothers & Sisters or Everwood, so Emily Vancamp is new to me. She's very beautiful and fresh looking but I really hope she gets darker and edgier as the series progresses. Madeleine Stowe is as beautiful as ever and I was really surprised at how 3-dimensional her character is allowed to be. She might be a lying, cheating bitch but her love for her children appeared to be very genuine.

The other character that stood out was Nolan Ross. He has nice chemistry with Emily and I am looking forward to their interactions, certainly more so than Emily's interactions with the two designated love interests.

All in all not a bad show to watch. It actually has potential, which is more than can be said about the other offerings this season. But I would really like it if Emily's revenge turns a little more hardcore. All her first target got was banishement from the Hamptons and losing her Holiday home. Not exactly on par with the Count of Monte Cristo.

Edited by piya, Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:28 AM.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

The Count Of Monte Cristo parallel was pretty apt, and there were some moments I really liked, even if it's not completely flawless.

Haven’t seen the pilot yet, but ever since I first heard about this show I’ve been hoping that we get a Eugenie Danglars analog. She was my favorite small character in the book, and she usually gets screwed out of almost all adaptations. You could really take Eugenie without any changes from the original novel and drop her in a modern day setting and people wouldn’t notice.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

But I would really like it if Emily's revenge turns a little more hardcore. All her first target got was banishement from the Hamptons and losing her Holiday home. Not exactly on par with the Count of Monte Cristo.

That would represent the shaming of Caderousse (minus Andrea killing him) as the person who stood by and watched.

You could really take Eugenie without any changes from the original novel and drop her in a modern day setting and people wouldn’t notice

I'm going with Madelaine Stowe's daughter as Eugenie.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

I'm going with Madelaine Stowe's daughter as Eugenie.

Awesome!

I wonder how many episodes it will take before we can match all the show’s characters to their book counterparts, and see who got left out of the adaptation.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

I'm not completely familiar with the book (I've tried to read it a couple times and can never get past the first 200 pages, I love the movie though) but wasn't it Edmund (Emily's character) the one who was framed for treason, not the father?

Edited by Tableau, Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:25 PM.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

but wasn't it Edmund (Emily's character) the one who was framed for treason, not the father?

In the novel, Edmond Dantes is the one wrongfully sent to prison, and when he manages to come out his father is dead from hunger.

I guess they altered it because they wanted a younger protagonist. Edmond was 19 years old when he was sent to the Chateau d’If, 33 when he escaped, and 42 when his years of planning go into effect and his enemies’ children are grownups. That’s one of the reasons none of his victims recognized him.

If you want a twenty-something carrying out the revenge, you need to shift the imprisonment to someone else.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

But I would really like it if Emily's revenge turns a little more hardcore. All her first target got was banishement from the Hamptons and losing her Holiday home. Not exactly on par with the Count of Monte Cristo.

That would represent the shaming of Caderousse (minus Andrea killing him) as the person who stood by and watched.

That makes sense. And perhaps, this was just the first layer of Elimy's revenge and she will deal with her again later.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

In the novel, Edmond Dantes is the one wrongfully sent to prison, and when he manages to come out his father is dead from hunger.

I guess they altered it because they wanted a younger protagonist. Edmond was 19 years old when he was sent to the Chateau d’If, 33 when he escaped, and 42 when his years of planning go into effect and his enemies’ children are grownups. That’s one of the reasons none of his victims recognized him.

If you want a twenty-something carrying out the revenge, you need to shift the imprisonment to someone else.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it was in the movie too just with Edmond being a tiny bit younger. I ask because the fact that it was her father imprisoned for treason and not her pretty much fundamentally changes the story, doesn't it? I mean I can't see how the Mercedes character could fit in.

Edited by Tableau, Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:08 PM.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:26 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much how it was in the movie too just with Edmond being a tiny bit younger. I ask because the fact that it was her father imprisoned for treason and not her pretty much fundamentally changes the story, doesn't it? I mean I can't see how the Mercedes character could fit in.

Madelaine Stowe would be Mercedes in all this I guess .

Essentially she was imprisoned as well though .We see her getting timed out from Juvenile detention so they have tweeked it slightly but it still works I think .I'm glad we find out how she is worth so much and they didn't drag it out too much .

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:33 PM

Madelaine Stowe would be Mercedes in all this I guess.

More like a combination of Fernand and Mercedes, I think. I'd say Jack was Mercedes but other than being a love interest, he doesn't really fit either.

Edited by Tableau, Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:34 PM.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

More like a combination of Fernand and Mercedes, I think. I'd say Jack was Mercedes but other than being a love interest, he doesn't really fit either

The husband of MS would be Fernand and Daniel would be Albert .

Jack and his family could be Morrel family

Edited by Humbugged, Sep 19, 2011 @ 5:57 PM.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

Anyone care to guess which character Nolan Ross is based on, if any? Its been a while since I read the book. The details have become a little hazy.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

Anyone care to guess which character Nolan Ross is based on, if any? Its been a while since I read the book. The details have become a little hazy.

http://en.wikipedia....of_Monte_Cristo

pretty good as a pointer to what might happen ,,and who might be who (if they continue to follow the story)

Edited by Humbugged, Sep 19, 2011 @ 7:41 PM.