Smash: Glee + A Chorus Line - McPheever Spielberg = ?

• Please log in to reply

7473 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 1:35 AM

Shocked I couldn't find a topic for this. Then again, it REALLY looks like is going to suck, bigtime.

I especially smirked at the "and Introducing Katherine McPhee" card in the extended preview (which aired during The Voice finale). You know. Because she's never been on any show before this. Certainly not on a competing network. Certainly not one which The Voice (which McPhee popped up on right before the preview aired, and which will be "paired" with Smash next Winter) has claimed that even their least contestant is better than anyone ever to appear on that other show is.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Jun 30, 2011 @ 1:41 AM.

neesha

neesha

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 2:58 AM

I'm excited about this show! But 2012? Long wait.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

I actually am looking forward to it though I agree 2012 is a long wait. I don't care enough about Kat McPhee one way or another, but it's one of the only new shows that even looks remotely interesting to me. FWIW, I thought early reviews of the pilot actually said it was pretty good. Or at least showed promise.

Though I do get amused by the introducing Kat McPhee bit. If the show hits it will be amusing to watch NBC act as if they discovered her, while of course I'm sure Nigel will get in as many mentions on the upcoming season of Idol.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 8:16 AM

while of course I'm sure Nigel will get in as many mentions on the upcoming season of Idol.

I'm not convinced he will. He seems to be more careful to avoid that kind of trap since Jennifer Hudson (the whole idea that someone can lose and someone else can bring them to huge success). Sure the show promotes "losers", like Daughtry, who make it big, but I think a prerequisite to the show "bragging" about it has to be that one of the Idol-partnered record companies was involved in the success. The ones where it doesn't happen that way, you don't hear Uncle Nigel bragging all that much. They all come back to the show to perform eventually, but its much lower key.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 12:45 AM

I'm excited for this show. I'm yet not sold on McPhee though. Megan Hilty is hilarious so I'm glad she's on the show. And I'm excited it is filmed in NYC because of all of the available Broadway talent.

I hope it's a Glee type crossover with Slings & Arrows (behind the scenes theater dramedy).

RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 12:08 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this, although I didn't realize it would be such a long wait. I was enjoying the promo, until the "Introducing Katharine McPhee" bit, after which I had two thoughts: "Oh crap, Katharine McPhee", and "Wait...introducing?" At least she's brunette, I guess.

My heart belongs to Jack Davenport so I'll tune in. Can the man get a series that goes beyond one season please?

Edited by RolloTomassi, Aug 16, 2011 @ 12:11 AM.

Tcost

Tcost

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:20 AM

I, for one, like Katherine McPhee quite a lot. She will be the main reason I tune in, though the rest of the cast, including Megan Hilty, is all pretty talented too. I've always thought that Kat was a singer who can act -- or maybe an actress who can REALLY sing. This could be the perfect vehicle for her.

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

FWIW, I saw the pilot, and I enjoyed it quite a lot, to the extent that I was actually bummed when it ended. I found Katharine McPhee more likable in this than she was on Idol.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:28 PM

That's good to hear. I'm actually looking forward to this more than any of the new fall shows.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

This behind the scenes video makes me really excited for this show.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 11:01 AM

while of course I'm sure Nigel will get in as many mentions on the upcoming season of Idol.

I'm not convinced he will. He seems to be more careful to avoid that kind of trap since Jennifer Hudson (the whole idea that someone can lose and someone else can bring them to huge success). Sure the show promotes "losers", like Daughtry, who make it big, but I think a prerequisite to the show "bragging" about it has to be that one of the Idol-partnered record companies was involved in the success.

Two things.
- Someone who placed 8th (or whatever Hudson's final spot was) did not lose. That's quite an accomplishment out of 50,000 competitors. Not winning is not the same as losing. Being on AI was the impetus for her current career success.
- Too many people imply that the show is somehow at fault for Hudson not winning or at least being a finalist in her year. The judges and producers are not responsible for her getting voted out - that's the doing of the American public. If anyone didn't recognize her talent, it's the AI voters, not the producers or judges.

That said, the "And introducing Katharine McPhee" made me snort. That is reserved for a complete unknown getting a lead - it's usually for a child actor playing a major role or a newcomer in a musical. McPhee is neither. She was a finalist in her AI season, which arguably makes her a lead in that season. Lots of actors in new shows are newcomers, but they don't get the "and introducing..." It's so ridiculous; do they really think anyone thinks she's new?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 3:06 PM

That said, the "And introducing Katharine McPhee" made me snort. That is reserved for a complete unknown getting a lead - it's usually for a child actor playing a major role or a newcomer in a musical. McPhee is neither. She was a finalist in her AI season, which arguably makes her a lead in that season. Lots of actors in new shows are newcomers, but they don't get the "and introducing..." It's so ridiculous; do they really think anyone thinks she's new?

She also has like three or four albums under her belt (even if they were total commercial failures), has acted on several major shows already, has been on that stupid People 100 Most Beautiful People list, as well as Maxim, FHM and askmen's slightly seedier Hot Women lists, and had at least one national cosmetics commercial campaign as a spokesmodel. So yeah... "Introducing".

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 4:22 PM

If you must introduce someone, it really should be "introducing...Broadway's Megan Hilty." Megan's worked quite steadily on stage but has not had any major film or television project. She's also insanely talented.

I don't know - I think the only thing I've seen McPhee in was Community and she left no impression. They are much better off just promoting this an ensemble musical drama. The one piece of this show that I'm unsure I'll like is the "go with the talent or go with the experience?" angle of it. Because that is saying a) those two things are mutually exclusive which isn't necessarily true and b) that McPhee's character's talent is going to be so inherently obvious that Hilty's Ivy won't measure up. Having seen Hilty on stage I think this will be a massive case of "showing not telling" and possible Mary Sue, which would make me like the show in spite of McPhee rather than because of her. Also, because her song choice and vocal stylings at her audition are completely thematically tone deaf to the part of Marilyn. I can't imagine that the show within a show has any music remotely like "Beautiful" or would be looking for Aguilera type voice. (this is going by Shaiman and Wittman's score track record and the time period in which the show would be set) It would have worked if they were looking to cast Wicked or Rent, for example.

McPhee is also a huge ? for me because considering this is set on Broadway, and they found several broadway talents in the cast already and they already considered McPhee so much of an unknown that they are "introducing" her, that she is best actress for the part. But again, I'm super excited for it so I will definitely watch before I make up my mind about her.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Dec 21, 2011 @ 4:22 PM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 2:17 PM

As a lifetime Broadway Musical Slut, I really want to like this, and will definitely give it a try. There's a ton of talent in front of and behind the camera (show creator Theresa Rebeck is a successful Broadway and off-Broadway playwright), and while I hated Jack Davenport's character on "Flashforward", I liked him very much in the "Pirates" films and "Swingtown". I also like that Debra Messing - who I've missed lately - is playing a member of the creative team rather than the show going down the tired route of 'aging' diva must give way to fresh young talent that I feared when I first heard she was cast.

Still... I was so sure I'd adore "Glee" and I didn't. So I have some trepidation here. But as I said, I'll definitely give it a try.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

McPhee lost to Taylor Hicks (!!!!) in AI Season 5, the most hilarious outcome ever, except that she edged out Eliott Yamin for second by giving the most overwrought, off-key performance in the finale I have ever heard. Elliott should have won, based on the merits of those two challengers.

Since then, I've seen Katherine McPhee in one somewhat secondary guest-star appearance on some drama or other about two years ago. So it doesn't much surprise me that she is being repackaged as an ingenue or something. Funny how back in Season 5, she was being presented as a breathtaking beauty who could sing and also wanted to act. You know, like about 2-3,000 other Hollywood wannabes.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

I am pretty sure I saw an extended preview for this at Comic-Con. It looked interesting to me then, and I am looking forward to it.

I am interested in seeing how they play out the season. The preview I saw hyped up the competition between the character of Karen Cartwright and Ivy Lynn. One can only spend so many episodes preparing a musical about Marilyn Monroe. Just how much of this is the producers choosing between Karen Cartwright and Ivy Lynn?

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 1:45 AM

I have to admit I'm super excited for this. I love musicals, and I'm hoping that this will fill the musical void in my heart that "Glee" just can't fill anymore. I kind of love a lot of the people attached to this show, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

I like Megan Hilty enough, but she just seems like a lesser Kristin Chenoweth. Does the tv/movie world need two?

The preview I saw hyped up the competition between the character of Karen Cartwright and Ivy Lynn. One can only spend so many episodes preparing a musical about Marilyn Monroe. Just how much of this is the producers choosing between Karen Cartwright and Ivy Lynn?

Perhaps one will be the understudy or supporting character to remain in the musical.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Very long article on the show (mild spoilers):

http://nymag.com/art...s/smash-2012-1/

I have to give the creative team a lot of credit that they wrote so many episodes in advance, are diligent about plotting, and already set up the structure of the show within the show to make sure it is cohesive. I hope this means that the story arcs have better payoff and continuity is something they will take seriously (something Glee could easily take notice of).

shazmg

shazmg

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

I saw some of this being filmed when I was in NY in March. Looking forward to seeing it.

Sara Maria

Sara Maria

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

The pilot is now available to download for free on iTunes!

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

My friend was an extra in the premiere. Had a good time and nice things to say about Angelica Huston.

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

I just watched the pilot today on On Demand and absolutely loved it. I loved it so much, I watched it twice. The endearing boyfriend who works in the mayor's office, Debra Messing and her relationship with her writing partner, the Broadway veteran versus the newcomer, both waiting for the big break -- all of those individual elements really worked for me. The music was interesting and moved the plot; the baseball number was adorable and fun. Yes, some of it may have been a bit cliche, but it is so much more entertaining than Glee. I'm just sorry I'll have to wait another month to see the second episode.

Sara Maria

Sara Maria

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I loved the episode too. I had high hopes for it but it really exceeded my expectations. I worry it might be a bit too insider-esque for network TV but I'm hoping for the best. Megan was really good and Katharine was great too, a lot better than I expected her to be. It set up a bunch of interesting storylines and yet, weaved them together nicely. I'm already dying to see the next episode!

shortpplfedup

shortpplfedup

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Watched the pilot, and now I have tingles. Dear TV gods, you've cancelled on me now Pushing Daisies, Firefly, Prime Suspect and Detroit 1-8-7 (to mention only a few), and mostly ruined Glee...can I have this please? Megan Hilty is a revelation, I get to see a bunch of SYTYCD alums/choreographers (oh hai Alex Wong, Ellenore Scott and Spencer Liff!) and I wouldn't object to joining all of these actors in an orgy of some kind, they're that hot. Oh, and the singing is phenomenal, the acting is Jason Katims-series good (just like Dillon TX and the Braverman family, I can believe these people actually exist and we are just watching their lives), and the writing is tight (only clunker was the assistant's idealistic speech about his high school musical, and that could have been saved by better delivery). People just need to watch it...

wickedgirl

wickedgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

First of all, thank-whatever, this is nothing like Glee. If anything, the atmosphere overall is more like Parenthood - but, instead of talking loudly over each other and/or crying, these characters sing.

(only clunker was the assistant's idealistic speech about his high school musical, and that could have been saved by better delivery).

Totally agree. That 'soundbite ode' stood out so awkwardly.

The cast is pretty good, and Houston especially is magnificent - loved her reaction to her soon-to-be ex husband putdown during the lawyers-offices scene.

Though the whole world of musicals and Broadways is nothing that interests me on any emotional level whatsoever, I am looking forward to seeing this series, and especially uncovering the way they will portray MM as subject matter.

The idea of concentrating each season to a different musical-in-the-making is also quite sound, and allows much more creative freedom as well as decent, structured story ending to the started arcs, rather than milking the same thing/themes over and over again and prolonging the stories until they become ruined caricatures of themselves. In my book this is no small thing to look forward to.

Edited by wickedgirl, Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

I know it's totally stupid, but I get really pissed whenever I see the ad that says "Introducing Katherine McPhee" on my television. The people of NBC's marketing department know she's acted before right?

Anyway, glad to hear this is nothing like GLEE. That was the one thing that was preventing me from being fully psyched for the show.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

They had me at Truxton Spangler.

TPickles

TPickles

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 3:33 AM

This was definitely better than I expected after seeing the trailer for it in a movie theater, but I'm not completely sold. I don't know if I really want to watch them fight over which girl to cast for 22 episodes, so I hope they resolve that somewhere in the middle and find a way to keep the woman not cast involved.(Which according to the NY Mag article below seems like the plan.) I could see them casting Ivy and keeping Katherine McPhee as the stand-by. Plus, then you can complete the 42nd Street homage. The whole part with Jack Davenport as the sleazy director is such a tired cliche though, I'm afraid they're going to rely on stuff like that too much. Even if it's the truth, it's still boring and lazy writing, IMO.

The baseball number was kind of ridiculously choreographed, I mean, I got the double entendre from the start, didn't need that number, but oh well...

All the cute guys with British accents will make for good eye candy even if the show sucks. Although, it was disconcerting to see the actor playing Dev, because last time I saw him was during his "departure" from MI-5.

Everyone I know complains about the size of NYC apartments(who aren't millionaires at least), funny how amazingly spacious they always are on TV. I wanted to live in every one of the ones we saw.

Edited by TPickles, Jan 17, 2012 @ 3:51 AM.

sprinter

sprinter

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 3:55 AM

I have to wait until February for this?!?!

Great, great, GREAT pilot. Felt completely organic from the beginning, did a great job immersing viewers with little-to-no theatre experience into its world, made the stakes realistic and important, and was beautifully written and performed.

The assistant's speech thing felt a little too OTT, but otherwise the writing was top-notch. I especially liked how colorful every character was--the trailers make it seems like "Karen-vs-Ivy cagefight!" but personally I latched on to each and every one of them.

Loved all the numbers, and the ending montage gave me chills.

On one hand, this is NBC, so they can always Britta it, but for now I am so in.

(Now all that's left is to see if Awake can top this...)