Necessary Roughness: USA Is Now Bringing Us The Therapist

• Please log in to reply

1699 replies to this topic

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

I was re-watching the season finale last night and was reminded of how much I really enjoyed the Dani/TK relationship. Thorne & Brooks sold it quite well as it progressed from strangers to trusted allies. I also enjoyed the progression of the Dani/Matt relationship and the Dani/Nico relationship.

Suffice it to say that I think Thorne works well with all three actors: Brooks, Blucas & Cohen (Attorneys-at-Law?!). She's also very good with Williams.

Edited by fastiller, May 25, 2012 @ 12:51 PM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

So excited the new season is starting this Wednesday. On Demand has the entire first season up and some cast interviews. I hope season 2 lives up to season 1.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Sneak peeks!!

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Excited to see this come back. Honestly, had completely forgotten until I saw Matt Barr (Billy the race car driver) on Hatfields and McCoys.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I wasn't expecting this, cool news.

Thanks for letting me know season one is available OnDemand, NYC2007.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Thanks for the heads-up about On Demand. I re-watched the S1 finale last night to refresh my memory about where everything stands. Not that I forgot about the shooting, of course, but some of the other plot points were starting to fade from memory. I'm really looking forward to this sophomore season and hope the quality endures!

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

That nurse needs retraining, at the least! Ask who a varied group of people are looking for first. ::shakes head::

Nico had to know that Pittman wasn't going to be...accepting, and not graceful. Using Juliet was low though.

Ray J, while having many points, needs to respect his mom's rules. (Maybe he tries to live the high life with his bed-hopping, financially-negligent father?)

Could the agent have been anymore cardboard idiotic? I hope Vivica returns; she seemed like a positive influence.

Not sure I liked what I saw in the "This Season" preview. "I need to see if he's strong enough to survive?" (Or something very close to that.) Glad Dani doesn't depend solely on the Hawks.

I cannot explain how fun it was to hear "work your magic on me!" It's been long enough!

Dis Gruntled

Dis Gruntled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

Evan Handler cast as a zany Marshall Pittman? Check and mate!

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

I'm confused about the timeline. If it's 6 weeks after their first playoff game, then it should be 2-3 weeks after the Super Bowl. Yet the team is holding a fan fest? No...that would need to take place closer to the start of the next season. I didn't hear anything about how the Hawks fared in any subsequent playoff games. Did I miss that? No one is wearing coats, yet it's presumably February in New York. I know some of these issues were raised last season. Just seems...odd. It wouldn't compromise the show to be more factually accurate.

Also, I hope the K-I-N-G cheerleaders (TKettes?) aren't supposed to be actual Hawks cheerleaders. Fraternizing between NFL players and cheerleaders is typically off-limits...Chris Cooley aside.

I like Dani's hair better longer. Love TK (KT!) as usual but hope Dani will continue to have other clients.

This was just OK for me.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I don't have any food allergies but if I did, I'd probably be hyper-vigilant about eating food prepared by others. That was a weak scene, although I do like that not everything comes easily for Dani and she has her struggles.

Edited by CapsChick, Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:02 AM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

For some reason I expected Marshall Pittman to be older, like in his sixties.

Ray J is a moron. I hope he does go live with his deadbeat dad and realize that rules aren't a bad thing after all.

Edited by dubbel zout, Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:14 AM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

Ray J is a moron. I hope he does go live with his deadbeat dad and realize that rules aren't a bad thing after all.

For such a smart girl, she really didn't see through Ray J at all. I'm glad at least this season's drama surrounding her kids isn't about her relationship with Matt.

I liked this first episode. I hope the rest of the season is as good.

I like Dani's hair better longer.

I actually like the cut. It makes her look more her age - younger. Last season I thought she looked older.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Not sure I liked what I saw in the "This Season" preview.

I fucking loved it because Gaius Charles, AKA Friday Night Lights' Smash Motherfucking Williams, is going to be on the show! I wonder how he feels about doing another football role? It sounds like the character's personality is different than Smash's (TK's personality is more like Smash's). Fine-ass Mehcad Brooks, Gaius Charles, AND Evan Handler in one place? Fantastic.

Forgot to mention, I don't have any food allergies but if I did, I'd probably be hyper-vigilant about eating food prepared by others.

I'm as allergic to nuts as IRS Guy and I ALWAYS ask if stuff has nuts in it, because, you know, I could die. If I'm at a restaurant with a friend and I DON'T ask, the friend usually does. "She could die!" (I am grateful for the concern but it can be a little embarrassing.) I actually don't even eat biscotti because it usually has some kind of nut in it (and I frankly don't like it enough to risk it/seek out some without nuts).

For such a smart girl, she really didn't see through Ray J at all.

I was thinking "Girl, you got played."

terxav

terxav

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

Ray J is in high school, what is up with this I want your permission to have sex in the house? And running out the house, Dani should have the locks changed and his car reported as stolen. He level of respect for Dani is close to 0.

The tutor, it was so much worse because of her rant against Ray J and then boom she is between the sheets. Ray J must have some serious game, LOL.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Glad for the return of Dani, Matt, Nico, and especially TK! (Sorry, KT.)

Easily thought all the stuff with Dani and TK was the best. Callie Thorne and Mehcad Brooks really have a great rhythm now and all their scenes were just great. It's sad that because of getting shot, TK was fallen back to some of his old ways (bummed his relationship with the reporter last season apparently ended), but I can buy that happening, and hopefully, they'll keep with fresh this season with their therapy sessions. And I'm glad amongst all the dramatic moments, TK can still bring the humor(the TKettes!)

So, if this episode was any indication, it looks like Ray J might be the bigger problem this time around instead of Lindsey. He was already annoying me as much as she did in the early first season episodes. Although, wow, was the tutor easy in the end. Just apologize and talk up her smarts and, bam! All was forgiven and it was too the bedroom for them.

Pretty sure I didn't see Evan Handler's name on the credits, so Marshall Pittman showing up was fun. My biggest concern is they will make him to over-the-top as an antagonist (like Orlando Jones' rival therapist/advisor last season), so I'm a little cautious at the moment. Curious to see more of his relationship with Nico, although I do hope after being separated a lot this episode, Nico will be back with the team now. Did love how we had the return of him managing to freak poor Dani out, by magically appearing behind her with his mad Navy Seal/ninja skills.

Continue to like how honest Dani/Matt are. A refreshing relationship so far.

Future episodes: Gaius Charles!!!

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Continue to like how honest Dani/Matt are. A refreshing relationship so far.

I've liked their relationship from the beginning, and the indication that it's Dani that fears she's going to screw things up between them is a nice touch. It makes the failings of her marriage all the more realistic as to why she's still rather gun shy. Matt telling her that he's there, but he's not trying to be Mr. Fix-It for the Fixer was a nice scene. He gets out of her way, but backs her play.

The TKette's...Mehcad Brooks must be having a blast playing TK (sorry, KT) because he is all types of hilariousnes. Ditto on Callie and Mehcad's scenes being some of the best of the episode. They do have a nice groove.

Looks like Nico's storyline is going to be really good this season, too. The whole Marshall Pittman, Juliette and his wife should be interesting. Hopefully, that will lead to another therapy session at some point in the season with Dani again.

Poor put upon coach Pernell...that man is one more scandal or team disruption away from a bleeding ulcer.

I would beat Ray J's entitled, snotty behind then ship him off to his philanderings dads house if I'd caught him in bed with his tutor just to give me attitude. Little twerp!

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Ray J is distracting to me because I'll be damned if the actor doesn't look identical to my boyfriend when I was eighteen. It literally takes me out of those scenes.

Mehcad Brooks was on a roll again. He is criminally underrated. If this was network, he'd have an Emmy nom.

Loved seeing Evan Handler, but he will always be Harry to me.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Mehcad Brooks was on a roll again. He is criminally underrated. If this was network, he'd have an Emmy nom.

I'll second that emotion, sopreppypink!

Ray J is in high school, what is up with this I want your permission to have sex in the house?

For me, it's Dani accepting Ray J having sex who knows where, or your house, where it's a safe and relatively controled environment. That it was Easy Tutor makes it worse. That he knew Dani wan't entirely paying attention to the pitch away from the older tutor should be the biggest nail. Ray J knew that seeming to appeal to his mom's fugality would get an okay when she was distracted enough to not ask her usual questions.

I'm confused about the timeline. If it's 6 weeks after their first playoff game, then it should be 2-3 weeks after the Super Bowl. Yet the team is holding a fan fest?

ITA,CapsChick; I live in Dallas, so all the big fan doin's are near the start of the season. Granted, there may be a Winter Ball or something, like the Rangers do, but that is more firmly a mid-way shindig. The Hawks' FanFest felt more like ramping up for the season.

As for the upcoming scenes, I enjoyed the addition of the New Guy (I didn't watch FNL and I live in Texas, so I'm surprised I haven't been stoned *g*) and I'm really glad that he's a well-liked actor, so TK/KT and New Guy scenes could be insanely electric!

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

In San Diego the fan fest are during preseason. Heck a lot of the team is not even in town until May when practice and meetings start. The timeline bugged the crap out of me also.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Poor put upon coach Pernell...that man is one more scandal or team disruption away from a bleeding ulcer.

I'm not sure what my favorite line of is was: him comparing the media to his last prostrate exam, or when Dani told him "Good morning" and he was all "Name me one 'good' thing about this morning!" I kind of dig the old grumpy coach, although I think he his pretty close to having to need therapy of his own soon.

Yeah, he really is doing wonders with this role. It's kind of funny hearing that he apparently wasn't very good on True Blood (which I don't watch), but this role is perfect for him. And I'm really intrigued over Gauis Charles being a rival, because Smash on FNL was very similar to TK in a lot of ways, but it looks like Gauis' character my be different this time around. I'm really happy for this casting.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about Evan Handler being Pittman. I always someone more Italian New York gangster looking, and weren't Pittman and Nico in the Navy Seals together? Handler doesn't exactly scream former navy seal.

bamf

bamf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

weren't Pittman and Nico in the Navy Seals together? Handler doesn't exactly scream former navy seal.

I don't think Pittman ever served. He saved Nico's life, but how was never specified.

I'm so excited for the show to be back. Shallow thoughts: the only time Dani's hair bothered me was in her session with K.T. (Hee!) The side swept look didn't do her any favors, IMO. Also, Matt's is too long. Is it wrong that I loved Nico grounding Basketball Kurt? 'Cause I did. He became physical twice this episode in regards to Juliette. I'm more interested in his relationship with her than with Gabrielle so I'm pleased she wasn't dropped.

Edited by bamf, Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:30 PM.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

He has to be the father of Juliette, right? And it seems as if Pittman may know that which is why he took pleasure having Nico freak out and think she was dead.

Liked TK's end freak out over the incident and his relationship with Dani. Very realistic to how his personality is. Also so nice to see Dani and Matt in a grounded relationship where they can be honest with each other.
Ray J totally irritating. He's pissed that he can't have sex in the house? Ugh teenagers.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

You can tell he really enjoys playing the role. That smile of his is glorious.

It's kind of funny hearing that he apparently wasn't very good on True Blood (which I don't watch), but this role is perfect for him.

I think the main reason he wasn't very good on TB is that it wasn't a very substantial role. He played sort of a sex zombie who was used to lure one of the show's main characters into a hedonism cult. For the most part he wasn't required to show much personality. The stint on TB was mostly about his body, which he is now putting to much better use (for my eyes, anyway...)

TD3000

TD3000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Pittman's wife (can't remember her name atm) said that Juliette wasn't Nico's, and I tend to believe that. Maybe that's how Pittman found out about Nico and his wife; maybe there was a question about paternity that was brought up at some point.

I'm sure it's been said a million times before, but TK is T.O. (who of course did a guest spot on this show) to a tee. And this new agent guy is Drew Rosenahus, part II.

I hope Ray J doesn't go down that deep, dark hole into being insufferable. He was a brat last season, but in a fun, goofy way. Lindsay, on the other hand, was beyond terrible. I know, teen angst and all that, but she grated on me for so long that I was about ready to seek therapy as a result.

I like the Dani/Matt relationship, but I'm dreading the inevitable moment when they have a "falling out".

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

I'm waiting for Dani/Matt to fail, so Nico can swoop in. Maybe next season when he's not so distracted with the Pittmans.

Is it just me or has Ray J gotten prettier? And smarmier.

It wasn't a very interesting episode because we all knew what was going to happen with TK. He'd freak at the end, showing he wasn't really fine. I even kind of saw the gun thing coming. But it had some great moments and scenes. And it's setting up the season well.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Is it just me or has Ray J gotten prettier? And smarmier.

Not just you. I hate thinking it, but the boy creeps me out.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Word, gotta love it. I'm hoping for a Dani/Nico end game.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I finally watched the premiere. I liked it and I'm excited for the season. I just need to stop thinking about the timeline and weather idiosyncrasies. It's annoying, but I enjoy the show enough to get over them and there's no good way to explain them so I just need to stop overthinking them.

I'm really waiting for Coach to take up residence on Dani's couch. Those sessions would be gold. Also, I smirked at Mr. Fish residing in the blender and the disturbed look on the divorce lawyer's face seeing the fish there.

I'm going to miss Vivica, but I'm not surprised that they broke up. It makes sense and TK being in a stable relationship with a normal girl who keeps him in line doesn't make for good TV. But, I hope she makes a reappearance in the future. I was pleased when I heard that Rob Estes was cast as TK's agent and I think he nails the Jerry McGuire-lite character. MB wasn't bad in True Blood, but his character wasn't all that great other than being eye candy. TK (or KT) really gives him a chance to shine while still showing off his ripped physique.

I need to see more of Evan Handler as Pittman. I'm with everyone else. I pictured him older. But, I like the actor so maybe he'll be able to sell me in the role.

Thumbs up to Dani and Matt doing well. In regards to Nico and Dani, I hope the show concentrates on their friendship first and let's D/M play out some. Nico has plenty to deal with given his involvement with the Pittman family so there's no need to make it a romantic triangle yet and burn through that storyline. They can keep it to Matt being flummoxed at Nico's tendencies to show up at Dani's in the middle of the night and by their surprising friendship. They can bring it up more toward the end of the season.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Also, I hope the K-I-N-G cheerleaders (TKettes?) aren't supposed to be actual Hawks cheerleaders. Fraternizing between NFL players and cheerleaders is typically off-limits...Chris Cooley aside

They may have been, in the NFL they leave it up to each team to determine how much fraternization they will allow their cheerleaders and their players to have. For example most teams frown on the players dating their team's cheerleaders but IIRC the Oakland raiders allow it.

It's kind of funny hearing that he apparently wasn't very good on True Blood (which I don't watch), but this role is perfect for him.

I think the main reason he wasn't very good on TB is that it wasn't a very substantial role

I agree, the problem with "Eggs" wasn't Mehcad Brooks but rather how limiting the role was.

weren't Pittman and Nico in the Navy Seals together? Handler doesn't exactly scream former navy seal.

I rewatched almost all of the first season before I watched the second season premiere and in one episode Nico tells Gabrielle, "We both know that Pittman is a man you limp from rather than walk away from." That leads me to believe he has some shady, maybe mafia, connections rather than his being a former Navy Seal.

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Just saw the ep. I'm glad this show is back. I like Dani.

Two things: One, the SATs don't have analogies anymore. How smart can the tutor be? :) Second, she looks like she's 25, not 18. I couldn't get past that. Especially since the actor who plays Ray J looks like a teenager.