Which Soaps Would You Reboot and How Would You Do It?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

52 replies to this topic

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

but Cutter works too, only instead he fits in perfectly with his fellow Cramers. I really hope Cutter sticks around in the "new" Llanview web endeavor

I considered this, but remembered Cutter coming on to Dorian and plotting to become her new toy-boy...and promptly grossed myself out. However, one of the advantages of the new format is that some old plot points can be dismissed with little fuss or muss.
And I really think they could have some fun with him.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

I’ll leave others to decide the best way to reboot AMC and OLTL, but my favorite soap was GH and it’s the one I’d try to reboot.

Instead of launching the Masticating Gourmet aka The Chew, I’d launch new soap and as the opening credits closed you’d see a shot of all the great GH ladies that have been dumped on since Guza/Frons started their reign of terror and Lucy Coe walking off stage.

This new soap would open in Charlie Harbor, a town for retired WSB agents and refugees from Port Charles. Lucy would be chatting up Kevin and her favorite two ex-husbands, Alan and Tony, at Major Medical about the health of the patients that had an adverse reaction to the withdrawal. Mike is serving drinks at a club called Spencer’s to Emily played by AT and Lucky played JJ as they talk about Lucky’s latest recon mission to Port Charles and the wreck their imposters made of their lives before being removed and deprogrammed. Over at Ruby’s Diner Carly played by SB and Carly played by TB are arguing over whether being shot in the head is proof of who Sonny loved more, while Bobby tries to stop them before the hair pulling starts…again. Later all our favorite former GH character’s head over to the Down Under for a dinner meeting led by Sean, Robert, and Anna to discuss how they are going to thwart the evil Cassadine/Faison threat that turned all the residents of Port Charles coo coo for cocoa Puffs without killing all them.

Now GH starts and at the end of the opening credits, Lucy Coe enters the scene and walks between cardboard cut outs of the formerly great males of GH. We find out that Jason Quartermaine was patient zero in a test of a drug Faison and the Cassadines planned to use against the Spencers and the rest of Port Charles. This drug made people extremely susceptible to suggestion and in their grief over Stone’s death, Robin and Sonny managed to turn Jason Q into hitman Jason Morgan while he had amnesia. With that success, the drug was deployed into the water supply and Carly, Robin, and Brenda, out of their youthful love of bad boys, managed to convince Port Charles that mob guys weren’t bad guys. From there things went from bad to worse… Tony a kidnapper, Felecia a deadbeat Mom, Lucy a vampire slayer, Laura a serial killer, Luke a frequent user of prostitutes and killer of his grandchild, and all the horrors of the last decade.

As the residents of Port Charles are cured in grand old GH style, Lucy carries their cardboard cut outs into the opening credits of Charlie Harbor to become flesh and blood men again. When everyone is cured, the shows merge and we get a hybrid of the Monty/Labine era GH back.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

I would bring Kish back to OLTL - to tie in the hospital/police station stories. Have Jessica be a reporter at the Banner. Go back to the 1/2 hour soap. It's silly that the women 20 years ago had careers and the women now wander from job to job or lounge around being sex toys for the men of the show.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

Did someone say ... reboot?

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

I also think that the newspapers should be jettisoned as a workplace/story-point, since the 'net is killing newspapers (while apparently attempting to save soaps).

They could have the Banner transition into an online news source, and even actually put up a Banner website fans could actually visit and read, complete with local Llanview news.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

So TSJ's Todd (who would be renamed what -- Rodd?) is the product of an incestuous relationship since Irene Manning and Peter Manning were cousins?

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

So, with the rumor flying around that the new writers at GH are planning a "Dallas"-type in-show reboot in a last-ditch effort to save the show, anybody out there got any more ideas as to how they should go about doing it?

(There have been a few cool ideas for this already posted upthread. Well worth reviewing).

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

The solution to 90% of GH's problems is so simple even a caveman could reboot it: Less Mob, More Quartermaines.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

The solution to GH's problem would be to start airing repeats from the 1980's and then cycle back when they hit the year 1999.

becca656

becca656

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Ms. Chicklet, thank you SO much for the barge link. I had it so many years ago, but lost it. Now bookmarked.

I love the idea of re-booting the soaps. It's too bad, even with the references in the final episodes of OLTL, that there is simply no interest on the part of ABCD.

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

There's only one thing left for Y&R to do -- and that's to pull a St. Elsewhere.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I love the idea of an Edge of Night reboot. Have some characters from legacy families -- the Karrs, Scotts, Cavanaughs, Saxons and Whitneys -- as the foundation. Maybe one of April's and Draper's daughters be a lawyer, the other a doctor. Maybe Miles' son could be chief of staff at the hospital. Raven's and Sky's daughter could be a total hellraiser.

It can be a fast-paced telenovela-meets-Law & Order format with three-month crime/mystery storylines.

film noire

film noire

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:20 AM

There's only one thing left for Y&R to do -- and that's to pull a St. Elsewhere.

I think Y&R could reboot fairly easily -- cheesily, but easily -- by rendering everything over the last four years as one long demented dream Victoria had while in her coma.

The writing's been so bad the last few years, it would actually make sense (who else but a coma-bound women would dream of a female without a womb suddenly getting pregnant by a man without any active sperm?) If it's all a fucked up dream, it becomes an entertaining metaphor -- what Victoria fears and believes about everyone in Genoa City -- instead of pure ass stink.

Edited by film noire, Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:24 AM.

brittania

brittania

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

I'd reboot GH in the same way--only I'd have some viewer wake up and realize the last 14 years or so of GH has all been a bad dream of theirs, and they turn on the tv and realize the show is actually as good as it once was, that they were just having a nightmare about their favorite soap being really horrible.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Honestly, as a soap viewer, I don't always care why or how they got there. As long as what's on my screen is good and entertaining, I'm very forgiving. That's why I can root for a murdering rapist psychopath to get the girl in the end. So if one day on GH a bunch of dead characters just showed up with no explanation, I'd be totally okay with that. In fact, if they tried to sell to me that General Hospital was abducted by its evil mother and its identical twin brother received plastic surgery to look like a slightly different version of General Hospital and has been posing as the show for the last 10 years or so and now the real General Hospital is back to claim its time slot, then I'm on board. Hell we can all discuss the moments when Faux Hospital began to crack and show signs that it was an imposter all along.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

For GH I think I'd go back to when Robert and Anna were presumed dead in '92. We just do a 20 year jump and find out that not much happened in that time. Robert actually saved Anna, blew Faison's head off, the current characters moved to PC as they were when they originally showed up (Jason is a Q and a doctor, Sonny is low life, but not a mobster, Luke was always happily married to Laura who was presumed dead after a mob hit, etc)

I'd also resurrect OLTL. This was a show that had so much going for it before the cancellation and it's finale was written for it to continue. Seriously, there doesn't have to be any major modification.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

For GH I think I'd go back to when Robert and Anna were presumed dead in '92. We just do a 20 year jump and find out that not much happened in that time. Robert actually saved Anna, blew Faison's head off, the current characters moved to PC as they were when they originally showed up (Jason is a Q and a doctor, Sonny is low life, but not a mobster, Luke was always happily married to Laura who was presumed dead after a mob hit, etc)

Ha ha, I love the way you think, Spazzo47. Except I think I'd let Anna have the honor of killing Faison ... ;)

The way they wrote Robert and Anna out in '92 was really dark and ushered in a period of depression on GH. I don't necessarily fault them for wanting to try something more serious with show, but the tone of the show really became somber in the 90s. Letting Faison basically win and destroying Robert and Anna really kicked off this dismal tone. The show was never really fun again. Sure, there was substantial sadness in the 80s at times, but '92 was kind of a turning point.

I also don't necessarily think bringing back or focusing on old characters is the way to save a show - sometimes, characters are just used up or they've outgrown the stories you'd want them for.

The key would be to create and focus on new characters as vivacious and riveting as the ones they had in the 80s, and this they've utterly failed to do. In fact, no character can really become a compelling, well-rounded, fun to watch character when wading in a river of depressing, bad stories.

The solution to GH's problem would be to start airing repeats from the 1980's and then cycle back when they hit the year 1999.

I've been watching playlists of '80s GH on Youtube, and I think you might be on to something. The spy/adventure plots somehow managed to be ridiculous and made of awesome at the same time. And the more realistic stories, like the Susan Moore murder mystery, were also fantastic.

I think the ratings would actually go up if they started with the Ice Princess story and just aired the rest of the '80s. It would be so odd and campy and strangely addictive that people would be like "wait, what is this?" and then they'd stick around for the witty dialogue and fun characters. 80s GH was truly a guilty pleasure. Was the Ice Princess storyline insane and ridiculous? Of course. But no more stupid than expecting us to still give a crap what happens to Sonny or Carly . . .

Edited by SlovakPrincess, Jan 22, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

So with ABCD's replacement "self help" shows failing and SoapNet going away sometime this year, if ABC owns the rights to all these reruns, why not just show Classic Daytime in place of the soaps they've canceled? I know some of the early years weren't actually put to tape and therefore can never be replayed, but AMC, OLTL, and GH all probably have at least 30 years worth of episodes that they could run through and given the length of their history, would be somewhat new television for younger generations of viewers. A lot of soap stories are timeless because they deal with family and relationships and the core families stayed relatively prominent so characters like Viki, Dorian, and Erica would still be familiar. It just seems like it would be cheap for ABC and it would appease the loyal soap audience that they're bleeding dry with their reality garbage.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

If we can't do a full reboot of GH (and accepting that Sonny, Jason and Carly won't ever die, sadly) I'd do the following to steer the show in a less crappy direction (bear with me if some things don't make sense, I haven't watched in quite a while):

- Robin will live, if she gets experimental treatment immediately, which can only be obtained at one of several exotic locales outside of the USA. But she's the main suspect in Lisa's death, she's indicted, and she's not allowed to leave the state. The DA is pressing hard on this, to look tough on corruption and because Mac is suspected of covering for her. Sonny and Jason offer to bribe/threaten the DA and judge for Robin, but Robin says no. Alexis will represent Robin.

Because Robin is running out of time, Anna and Robert decide to sneak Robin and Emma out of the country (if they don't bring both parents back for Robin's exit, missing parent's absence is explained as making the arrangements to go into hiding). Patrick is in on the plan, but has to stay behind (maybe he has to stay and field calls about Robin's medical history, so her new doctors don't give away her current location if they call the hospital). Patrick feels responsible for the Lisa mess, wants Robin to have as much time as possible with Emma, and wants to make this sacrifice - he begs Robin to go. KMc leaves but Robin lives, JT still has a job, Patrick gets to be heroic (and do something less boring than mourn Robin and hook up with Liz, zzzzzzz), and Robert and Anna get to make things up to Robin by going into hiding with her and taking care of her and Emma.

- Mac gets left out of the plan because he's suspected of tampering with evidence to save Robin, and he's being watched too closely. He devotes himself to clearing Robin's name, suspects the DA and everyone else is corrupt and has to look beyond the police for help. He secretly hires Sam as a P.I. (Yay, Sam finally makes herself useful!!). Sonny and Jason suspect something is up and Carly will snoop and try to make trouble. What will Jason do if he mistakenly thinks Sam is working with the cops and turning on Sonny? Sam's investigation will lead to adventures for her, and the DA will be the tip of the iceberg for whatever nefarious plot is happening.

- Since she and Mac suspect the real reason Robin is missing, but are still worried, Maxie goes to see ... head of WSB Sean Donely! She begs him to find the Scorpios, but Donely points out they're hiding for good reason. However, he doesn't like what's he's hearing about PC, and thinks something sinister is going on (somebody went to a lot of trouble to discredit Commissioner Mac and keep Robert and Anna out of PC). He wakes up his sleeper agent . . . Shawn, who has to hide this from Carly. (Yay, Shawn finally makes himself useful!!). In the course of their investigating, Sam and Shawn will cross paths and Sam gets drawn into the WSB plot. Donely checks in frequently.

- The sinister plot: powerful, charming, intelligent Cassadine female secretly in town. [Insert currently useless character here - maybe that Maggie lady, with a re-cast if necessary ... maybe her real name is Magdalena]. She thinks Mikkos Cassadine was onto something with his idea to destroy corrupt cities and create a better society. Port Charles is a sewer now, so it's her target for ... experiments. She thinks Helena wasted the family legacy by fighting with Luke, and she's taking over. She's part Quartermaine (the Q's used to have a lot of random cousins, as did the Cassadines, so this shouldn't be too hard). She'll develop her plan slowly, and won't be fully evil or beyond a change of heart . . .

She'll seduce Mac, because she wants to combine the Q, Cassadine and Scorpio legacies (she respects Robert as a worthy adversary of the family, and if she can't get to him, she'll get Mac). Alexis is suspicious, because she cares about Mac. The secret Ms. Cassadine will draw the Q's into her web - if it's Maggie, she'll befriend Monica at work. Michael can make himself useful by becoming more of a Q, joining Edward and Tracy in their suspicion she's not really a Q and is trying to take the family fortune.

- Matt, Patrick, Liz, and co. help Monica and Bobbie run the hospital. Patrick is stuck in limbo, creating interesting tension with him and Liz because Patrick is lonely but trying to stay faithful, and he can't tell Liz the truth. Patrick will become more edgy, he's adrift until the Scorpios decide it's safe to send for him ... maybe the hospital could use another hostage crisis like the one in the early 80s, and Patrick could be the reckless hero. Matt and Liz will worry about him and wonder what he's hiding. The Matt/Maxie/Liz triangle will finally go somewhere.

- Luke will get dragged into the Cassadine plot, but not at first - (Ms. Cassadine thinks he's beneath her as an adversary in his current state). Lulu and Dante will stop being morons and eventually get pulled into the WSB/Cassadine/Sam's investigation plots as those become interwoven. Bring back Kristina for Ethan - that's all I can think of for him.

- The Zaccharas will somehow be linked to whatever is going on with the DA and Ms. Cassadine's plot. The murder of Lucky's wife might actually get resolved someday, too!

- Steve, Olivia and Spinelli disappear, never to be mentioned again. (ok, I sort of punted on that one).

Edited by SlovakPrincess, Jan 22, 2012 @ 7:06 PM.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

I like all this SlovakPrincess! I like a lot. I love bringing Sean back... as the head of the WSB. The only way to make this more perfect is if there's a way to keep Robert and Anna on the show a little longer. Other than that, brilliant umbrella story.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

For AMC they fast forward to Bianca's daughter Miranda Montgomery being old enough to date and having grown up to be a bisexual version of Erica Kane. She then seduces her way through EVERYBODY not just the all the men. The men would include "little" Adam who would by then be the head of the Chandler fortunes since JR his dad was locked up for trying to kill somebody in the last ep. Much like Janet from another Planet however, JR frequently escapes and makes trouble. Janet OTOH FINALLY got on meds that work for her and gets to live with Amanda and her kid. She is hysterical and quite smart actually. I'd like her to become a Private Investigator and use some of her cunning for the side of good instead of trying to kill the town. Erica Kane comes back and looks EXACTLY the same as she always dose because David Hayward froze her for 20 years. Under no circumstances however should the Pig (i.e.Babe) EVER come back even in a dream and much less resurrected by David.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:00 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

*Jason and A.J. will be contemporaries or near-contemporaries of Luke/Laura/Scott/Bobbie (probably just a touch younger). Why make the audience wait for a decade or more for the two coolest characters from the younger generation? If Rick and Leslie can be old enough to have a teenage daughter, Alan and Monica can be old enough to have teenage sons!

*NO JASON MORGAN. EVER!!!

Why not have Jason Morgan be Jason's dorky wish fullfillmnent alter ego? One that leads to fantasy sequences and maybe even reducing Sonny to being nothing more than a made up character in Jason's daydreams of being a cliched mob hitman with a heart of gold?

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 2:54 AM

Why not have Jason Morgan be Jason's dorky wish fullfillmnent alter ego? One that leads to fantasy sequences and maybe even reducing Sonny to being nothing more than a made up character in Jason's daydreams of being a cliched mob hitman with a heart of gold?

I likey....

Edited by tam1MI, Mar 24, 2012 @ 2:54 AM.