If we can't do a full reboot of GH (and accepting that Sonny, Jason and Carly won't ever die, sadly) I'd do the following to steer the show in a less crappy direction (bear with me if some things don't make sense, I haven't watched in quite a while):
- Robin will live, if
she gets experimental treatment immediately, which can only be obtained at one of several exotic locales outside of the USA. But she's the main suspect in Lisa's death, she's indicted, and she's not allowed to leave the state. The DA is pressing hard on this, to look tough on corruption and because Mac is suspected of covering for her. Sonny and Jason offer to bribe/threaten the DA and judge for Robin, but Robin says no. Alexis will represent Robin.
Because Robin is running out of time, Anna and Robert decide to sneak Robin and Emma out of the country (if they don't bring both parents back for Robin's exit, missing parent's absence is explained as making the arrangements to go into hiding). Patrick is in on the plan, but has to stay behind (maybe he has to stay and field calls about Robin's medical history, so her new doctors don't give away her current location if they call the hospital). Patrick feels responsible for the Lisa mess, wants Robin to have as much time as possible with Emma, and wants to make this sacrifice - he begs Robin to go. KMc leaves but Robin lives, JT still has a job, Patrick gets to be heroic (and do something less boring than mourn Robin and hook up with Liz, zzzzzzz), and Robert and Anna get to make things up to Robin by going into hiding with her and taking care of her and Emma.
- Mac gets left out of the plan because he's suspected of tampering with evidence to save Robin, and he's being watched too closely. He devotes himself to clearing Robin's name, suspects the DA and everyone else is corrupt and has to look beyond the police for help. He secretly hires Sam as a P.I. (Yay, Sam finally makes herself useful!!). Sonny and Jason suspect something is up and Carly will snoop and try to make trouble. What will Jason do if he mistakenly thinks Sam is working with the cops and turning on Sonny? Sam's investigation will lead to adventures for her, and the DA will be the tip of the iceberg for whatever nefarious plot is happening.
- Since she and Mac suspect the real reason Robin is missing, but are still worried, Maxie goes to see ... head of WSB Sean Donely! She begs him to find the Scorpios, but Donely points out they're hiding for good reason. However, he doesn't like what's he's hearing about PC, and thinks something sinister is going on (somebody went to a lot of trouble to discredit Commissioner Mac and
keep Robert and Anna out of PC). He wakes up his sleeper agent . . . Shawn, who has to hide this from Carly. (Yay, Shawn finally makes himself useful!!). In the course of their investigating, Sam and Shawn will cross paths and Sam gets drawn into the WSB plot. Donely checks in frequently.
- The sinister plot: powerful, charming, intelligent Cassadine female secretly in town. [Insert currently useless character here - maybe that Maggie lady, with a re-cast if necessary ... maybe her real name is Magdalena
]. She thinks Mikkos Cassadine was onto something with his idea to destroy corrupt cities and create a better society. Port Charles is a sewer now, so it's her target for ... experiments. She thinks Helena wasted the family legacy by fighting with Luke, and she's taking over. She's part Quartermaine (the Q's used to have a lot of random cousins, as did the Cassadines, so this shouldn't be too hard). She'll develop her plan slowly, and won't be fully evil or beyond a change of heart . . .
She'll seduce Mac, because she wants to combine the Q, Cassadine and Scorpio legacies (she respects Robert as a worthy adversary of the family, and if she can't get to him, she'll get Mac). Alexis is suspicious, because she cares about Mac. The secret Ms. Cassadine will draw the Q's into her web - if it's Maggie, she'll befriend Monica at work. Michael can make himself useful by becoming more of a Q, joining Edward and Tracy in their suspicion she's not really a Q and is trying to take the family fortune.
- Matt, Patrick, Liz, and co. help Monica and Bobbie run the hospital. Patrick is stuck in limbo, creating interesting tension with him and Liz because Patrick is lonely but trying to stay faithful, and he can't tell Liz the truth. Patrick will become more edgy, he's adrift until the Scorpios decide it's safe to send for him ... maybe the hospital could use another hostage crisis like the one in the early 80s, and Patrick could be the reckless hero. Matt and Liz will worry about him and wonder what he's hiding. The Matt/Maxie/Liz triangle will finally go somewhere.
- Luke will get dragged into the Cassadine plot, but not at first - (Ms. Cassadine thinks he's beneath her as an adversary in his current state). Lulu and Dante will stop being morons and eventually get pulled into the WSB/Cassadine/Sam's investigation plots as those become interwoven. Bring back Kristina for Ethan - that's all I can think of for him.
- The Zaccharas will somehow be linked to whatever is going on with the DA and Ms. Cassadine's plot. The murder of Lucky's wife might actually get resolved someday, too!
- Steve, Olivia and Spinelli disappear, never to be mentioned again. (ok, I sort of punted on that one).
Edited by SlovakPrincess, Jan 22, 2012 @ 7:06 PM.