Ryan and Tatum: The O'Neals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

424 replies to this topic

Heather97615

Heather97615

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 1:42 AM

I watched most of the episodes of this show, and I feel so sad for Tatum, especially after learning that she and her father are, according to him, "further apart than [they] were before doing the show." When a child endures abuse and/or neglect by peers, the emotional scars from just that can last a lifetime, but having it come from one's own flesh-and-blood, supposed protectors...I can definitely imagine that the damage from that can be much worse than something like being bullied. Tatum survived her tumultuous childhood, but the experience did not leave her unscathed - I think it's rather cruel to say she should just get over it and move on. Everyone is different. While one child may go through such an experience and develop into a mature, healthy adult, another may be deeply wounded and have lifelong consequences of the poor treatment he or she went through at a young age. I don't think that her having money or fame can be used as explanations for why she should be thankful for what she has and move on and be fine with losing, in essence, both of her parents. None of us except Tatum knows what is going on in Tatum's head, what her true thoughts/feelings are day-to-day. Easy access to drugs and the fact that both of her parents were substance abusers led to a somewhat predictable outcome. Coping with feelings of worthlessness due to abandonment must be extraordinarily difficult to overcome, and a person who has gone though this must be very resilient and have plenty of self-confidence and self-esteem to heal from such neglect. I'm just glad that Tatum has been able to give up drugs and that she has a relationship with her children. Hopefully the cycle of bad-parenting leading to kids with drug problems will be broken since Tatum is now there for her children, and they had a stable upbringing with their father.

Regarding the dog, Mozart, I can't believe Best Friends Animal Sanctuary adopted one of their rescues to Ryan O'Neal, a person known for physically and emotionally abusing humans, even his own son. I saw the barely-concealed rage that others have mentioned toward Mozart, and I truly fear what happens to that dog off-camera. Maybe Best Friends adopted the dog to make viewers aware of their animal sanctuary, which is a truly breathtakingly beautiful place - I was lucky enough to go there in 2009, and I volunteered with disabled cats. Best Friends carefully screens applicants. They are the leader in the no-kill movement in the US, being the largest animal sanctuary in the United States and having programs to raise awareness of humane options for homeless animals such as Trap-Neuter-Release for feral cats. They also took in over 20 of the Michael Vick abused pit bulls, some of which can never be adopted. I was shocked when Tatum said that Mozart came from Best Friends. Hopefully they didn't make a mistake in letting Ryan O'Neal adopt from them; I fear, however, that the end result of more people knowing about BFAS may not justify the means in this case.

On another note, this series was my first glimpse at Tatum O'Neal, a person I've wondered about for eleven years now - in 2000 my beautiful niece, Tatum, entered this world, and the inspiration for her name was this actress. I'd never heard the name before and at first it seemed weird to call a child that, but my niece has not been ridiculed for her name by her peers. Some here have criticized the name itself, but I find it to be a pretty name. I was always a bit curious about the actress but never got around to renting any of her movies or watching any shows in which she appeared. I'm glad I got to "meet" her through this documentary series. I think she's a beautiful woman (inside and out) who has tried to make the best of the awful hand she was dealt. :-)

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 5:07 PM

Any word if this shit-fest will be renewed for a second season?

Don't give them any ideas.

Actually, I won'd mind it if they retooled it and had it be about Redmond and Ryan or something like that.

runner510

runner510

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Griffin O'Neal is in trouble again, this time domestic battery.

RAMONA — Griffin O’Neal, the troubled son of actor Ryan O’Neal, was arrested at his Ramona home on New Year’s Eve on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic battery, according to sheriff’s records.

Griffin Patrick O'Neal — Nelvin C. Cepeda O’Neal, 47, was being held Thursday at San Diego Central Jail on $10,000 bail.

Actor Ryan O'Neal's Son Back In Jail

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Like father, like son.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

Heather, if you are still out there, what is the barely concealed rage at Mozart? I love the name too, and can't believe anybody wouldn't.