1-10: "Fire and Blood" 2011.06.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

787 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

TV Guide sez:

The first season ends with tragic news reaching all corners of the Seven Kingdoms, which coincides with a shared vision by Bran and Rickon Stark. Meanwhile, Catelyn presses Jaime about her son's fall; Tyrion heads south following his father's surprising decision; Arya tries to escape from King's Landing; Jon faces a difficult choice at the Night's Watch; and Daenerys suffers a terrible setback.

Now, some rules that need to be followed.

If you have read the books, Do not tell people what's going to happen. At all. Don't tell people that a character is going to act differently in later seasons. Don't tell people that a character is even going to be alive. Don't tell people anything. Even if they're wrong about something, let them be wrong unless it involves something that's already happened on the show. Even if someone asks a direct question, remember that not everyone wants to know what's going to happen on the show.

By the same token, if you haven't read the books, Do not ask what's going to happen. There's a thread for discussing the books and the show. Ask there. All discussion in this thread should be about things that happened in the first two episodes of the series.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

All hail Danerys Targerian, the new HBIC. I can't believe she went all Chief on Drogo.
Well, Joffrey isn't completely useless, he gave Sansa a spine.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

In summation:

SEASON 2
SPRING 2012

".... GODDAMN IT"

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

and just as I was thinking, "is nothing of consequence going to happen in the finale?"...whoa...go dragons!!!

Grom

Grom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

Dragons!!!!!

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

That is it? Another nine months of waiting?

Arghhh...

With the dragons, now it is clear that the story is about a fantasy universe with fantasy physics. And therefore all previous discussions about gold melting, infection are irrelevant since that universe apparently does not follow the same laws of nature as ours.

Edited by TV Anonymous, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:06 PM.

zbenton

zbenton

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Freaking white haired woman burning the witch alive...walking into the fire....coming out the next day unburned AND with dragons.

That finale was just made of awesome

bibbety

bibbety

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

I loved Dany and her wee dragons.

Cat's face when walking past her men and acknowledging her grief was amazing.

Tywin and Tyrion's scenes rock (despite Peter Dinklages' slightly weak accent).

I want more, immediately,

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

They're so cute! I want one! Hee. Almost as cute as the wolves. Good CGI effects. And while I'm not one for the excessive nudity, she did look pretty kick ass covered in ash with her babies.

zbenton

zbenton

Just Tuned In

Double Post.

Edited by zbenton, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:06 PM.

Markzaku

Markzaku

Channel Surfer

That is it? Another nine months of waiting?

Arghhh...

To be fair, nine months of waiting in ASoIaF fandom is pretty much nothing!

That said: that was an amazing finale; Emilia Clarke killed it at as Dany in the dragon birthing scene.

Really, it was an amazing season overall. I can't wait until Spring of '12.

Impi

Impi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

First, DRAGONS! Looked way cool. So much Dany love.

Jon headed north of the Wall.
Arya marching north.
Robb, King of the North.
Tyrion, Hand of the King (acting)
Joffrey evil dick.
Sansa....be careful what you wish for.
Bran and Rickon holding down the fort.

Jorah, the most interesting man in the universe. :)

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Go Sansa, too bad you didn't push that little weasel. Love the "my brother will give me your head."

So Arya finds herself a Baratheon, that family really is bound to each other. I wonder if Robert's bastard (if he really is just the bastard and not heir) will befriend Jon... if they ever do meet. That would be interesting.

Did Cersei have sex with her cousin?

Hi Ros.

Dany got Dragon's after she committed murder. Great. Also, didn't feel bad for Drogo getting what was coming to him. But hello Ser Jorah.

So we now have three Kings and a Queen all vying for the same throne? Too bad we didn't get to see King Renly now that Joffery and Robert have been crowned and Dany got Dragon's.

2012 is too far away. Such a kickass episode.

Edited by justsmile, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:07 PM.

Nilo

Nilo

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV. That's it. Just TV.

And while I'm not one for the excessive nudity, she did look pretty kick ass covered in ash with her babies.

And not bad for someone who had just delivered a stillborn/mutant baby of her own not, what, 24 hours before?

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Fierce baby dragon is fierce. LOL! That was entirely awesome.

Oh and whoever called the Cersei and Lanciel (?) thing, props to you. I read the books and I don't remember that at all, but we died laughing.

Edited by areca, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:08 PM.

FencerGirl

FencerGirl

Channel Surfer

You can't really say it was excessive, since:

1. She was nude in the book, because ...

2. Her clothes burnt off, silly.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

as Elaine said..."they are real and they are spectacular"...boobs or dragons, both apply...

montferrat

montferrat

Fanatic

• Interests:Hiking, Swimming, European history, Gay Spanish Films, Coffee Table Books, and Bad Slash Fiction! Oh yeah, and TV too!

Take 1 part smothered Drogo,
Add 1 vengeful witch,
3 hard boiled petrified dragon eggs.
Assorted branches and twigs,
And 1 pissed-off determined Khaleesi.
Fricassee on high flame for 12 hours or so and voila!
A delicious pack of baby dragons!

Awesome!

Can't wait for next season!

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

The dragons reminded me of the mini-giraffes of commercial fame...kind of a weak season finale I thought.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Wait...that was the finale? Fuck!

Bitch has got dragons! That's hardcore. But I was confused by the logistics of the whole thing. Was that's Drogo's tribe or just various hangers on and slaves? I thought they had all ridden away. And fire melts rock? That I was okay with, as I kind of assume that the dragon's hatching was magical and had something to do with a warrior king, a witch, and a dragon all burning together.

I didn't miss Ned at all. Except for Cat and Snow, I found him to be the dullest character.

Sansa is really becoming fantastic to watch.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Holy crap! So Good!

1. I knew Yoren was going to disguise Arya as a boy and take her to the Wall- he is right, its for her own protection! Jon and Ayra reunion!!!! I wonder what signficiance Robert's bastard son the blacksmith's apprentice will play?(that is a rhetorical question) Does anyone have any theories as to why his master got sick of him?

2. Sansa so wanted to push Joffrey off that platform, but with her luck he probably wouldn't die, and she would just be whipped within an inch of her life. The Hound seemed to give her some good advice. I am eager to explore his character. To bad it will be almost impossible for Sansa to keep her first period to herself (with the servants watching her linen etc)- ugh as soon as she has her period Cersei will have them married. Get to King's Landing ROB!

3. I am happy Jon is at the wall. That is where he needs to be, and Dany's dragon's hatched! A song of ice and fire! I like the fact that she is the one who smothered Drogo; there are things worse than death.

It is going to be a long, long, long ten months.

Oh, does anyone have any theories as to why Tywin did not want Tyrion to take Shae to King's Landing? No I am not asking for spoilers, but it seems that all noble men visit high class prostitutes, is he so evil that he doesn't want Tyrion to have the tiniest amount of pleasure? Or does he know something we don't know........I will take this to the Tywin thread.

brisbydog

brisbydog

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

Who was the old guy talking to the whore? I felt that scene went nowhere and I could not figure out who he was.

The last scene was AMAZING though. Wow. April 2012. Long wait.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

Baby dragons are adorable. Who knew?

I wonder what Daddy Lannister has against whores. No asking, just wondering.

I know it's a good HBO series when I'm pissed about it not being the whole hour. It was 6 minutes light.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

Loved the fade out with the dragon screech. An exclamation point on the season.

Good God, Pycelle. Find some dignity.

Valaryaz

Valaryaz

Couch Potato

This episode had some good moments. The leader at the wall with Jon and that whole scene where they ride out to confront whatever they must was just about perfect.

I was a bit disappointed in the oath, I wish it had felt more inspiring. I heard it in my head as much more heartfelt, and I expected that to translate easily to film. The actors kind of let me down there somehow.

I guess the dragon scene was well done, and the baby dragons were as good as they could be, but I was hoping for more of the "dancing with death" in that tent scene since it wasn't very scary or impressive last week, I thought it would be finished this week. Oh well. I still love the actress playing Dany, but that final scene didn't really work for me that well. The rest were doing what? Napping as the pire burned down? Catching some Z's?

They had a lot to work with here, and they gave us about 2/3rds of it. Not the blockbuster finale they could have done, or the one I expected.

I guess I am more baffled that anything. They turned gold into silver here?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Who was the old guy talking to the whore?

Grand Maester Pycelle. The point of that scene is he's not as feeble as he appears.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Yeah, did HBO really need to waste 2 minutes on Roz and Maester Pycelle? We didn't even get some good exposition out of it. Didn't we already know the prior king, Aerys was mad?

Cool looking dragons!

Maybe Tywin is afraid of little dwarf grandchildren, illegitimate to boot.

Good cliffhangers with Robb crowned king of the north, Jon off to battle beyond the wall, Arya heading north (in a real bad wig), Sansa showing some rebelliousness and baby dragons!

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

I think Dany just found her power, she IS the Dragon and true heir to the throne. I don't see anyone opposing the lady with the Dragons. I did like Dany going all HBIC and creating her own Khalesar and personally I think she has a bit of the "madness" in her.

So basically Jon returned to the wall because his friends made him, or "his friends honor", otherwise he would have broken his oath and gone to find Robb. I wonder if Robb would have obeyed the law about deserters from the wall and killed Jon or would he turn a blind eye. If Jon had gone through and broken his oath, I would have seen that as equivalent to Jaime breaking is Kingslayer Oath.

Speaking of Jaime, it looks like he isn't the only one Cersei is schtupping, ewwww. Although I feel that with Lancel it's more of an unequal relationship with Cersei being in control. I think her relationship with Jaime is probably not the same. Wonder if Jaime knows his "girlfriend' diddles around the fam, again ewww.. Also was that tears I saw in Jaime's dirtied and bloodied face..

Tyrion as Hand of the King, excuse me while I laugh out loud *laughs uncontrollably for 10 minutes*..Joffrey is going to LOVE that, I see more bitch slaps in his future. Joffrey truly is a prick, having Sansa look at DeadNed's head. For a second I thought Sansa would jump off that bridge but then it looked like she was going to push King Twincest.

Also anyone else have a double eww moment when Joffrey mentioned planting a son in Sansa. Not a visual I wanted, especially considering they are KIDS!!

ETA: Forgot about the scene with Pycelle, old guy has more going for him but did we really need to see nekkid Roz AGAIN.

Edited by bluvelvet, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:18 PM.

brisbydog

brisbydog

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

Grand Maester Pycelle. The point of that scene is he's not as feeble as he appears.

Thanks! I have read the books but only once and need to go over them again concentrating on the minor characters.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

The point of that scene is he's not as feeble as he appears.

I thought the point of that scene was old man dick.

Edited by Belley, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:14 PM.