Falling Skies in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 4:48 PM

This is the place to link to reviews, articles about the show, or interviews with the cast. If you’re going to quote from an article, please use quote tags, and just provide an excerpt rather than the whole article.

Here are a couple to get us started from the Boston Globe

Sometimes, you just crave a good old-fashioned alien-invasion drama. You want full-on apocalyptic suspense, set amid urban ruins and the kind of social anarchy that forces crooks and aristocrats onto the same side. You want heroism in the face of otherworldly evil, and you want otherworldly evil all up in your face. You want to squirm as giant, slimy, lizardy insects scurry across the screen.

And at those moments, you deserve “Falling Skies,’’ a new eight-week, 10-hour series from executive producer Steven Spielberg and “Saving Private Ryan’’ writer Robert Rodat. It does the trick.

…and the Chicago Tribune

TNT and executive producer Steven Spielberg walk a tightrope with the alien invasion series "Falling Skies" (8 p.m. June 19, TNT; *** out of 4).

On one hand, they want to attract hard-core genre fans eager for thrilling sci-fi storytelling. On the other, they want to keep their show grounded enough in reality and the tropes of family drama to make it attractive to the general viewing public.

The high-wire act works, but not without some bobbles.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Alan Sepinwall liked it.

Elisende

Elisende

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:15 AM

Here's one in the Washington Post.

IIRC, Stuever's not much of a sci-fi fan so he's actually more positive than I would have expected. Mostly I'm surprised at the length of the write-up -- don't know if that's due to Spielberg's participation or if things are just slow now in tv critic land.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

Here is a review from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Rob Owen seems to like it but he did say that the characters seem to lack depth, compared to the characters from the Walking Dead, but they do start to show growth as the series continues. Another good thing is that Owen states, that the tone of the show is more like the original V.

Edited by TVspectator, Jun 30, 2011 @ 7:25 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

Los Angeles Times

She like it

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 6:48 PM

Los Angeles Times

She like it

Wow. She sure did. Must be under the spell of "Spielberg and his writers." Do you think she even watched it? Maybe she watched it after happy hour with some wacky tobacky?

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

Looks like it got renewed for a second season. TV By the Numbers

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

The Boston Herald

They liked the premiere but the local paper is giving up

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

I found a Q&A by Greg Beeman, posted on the Heroes thread (thank you who ever you are), where he tries to answer a bunch of questions about Falling Skies (along with Smallville and Heroes). In it he answers how old Hal is supposed to be (which turns out he is supposed to be 17) and how old is Lourdes (Beeman states that originally they were going to make her, the 17 year old daughter of a wealthy Mexican businessman, but instead made her into a 19/20 year old premed student), tries to explain away a few other things (like why haven't the aliens attack the resistance by air, etc...), and also answers questions that deals with the production and writing of the show.

Edited by TVspectator, Oct 9, 2011 @ 7:59 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

n it he answers how old Hal is supposed to be (which turns out he is supposed to be 17) and how old is Lourdes is (Beeman states that originally they were going to make her, the 17 year old daughter of a wealthy Mexican businessman, but instead made her into a 19/20 year old premed student)

So, Lourdes is really suppose to be older then Hal? Yeah, I don't think I ever will be able to buy that. It's also moot now, but they really should have at least just made Hal college age.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

Yeah I don't buy her being older than him either. They should have said she was 17 and a genius or something.lol

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

I found it a bit weird that they laid down the rule, before the show aired, that they will not have flashbacks (according to Beeman the rule was created by Spielberg) but they didn't find the time to fully create these characters (like establish their ages or back stories in a show bible).

So, Lourdes is really suppose to be older then Hal? Yeah, I don't think I ever will be able to buy that. It's also moot now, but they really should have at least just made Hal college age.-thuganomics85

Yeah I don't buy her being older than him either. They should have said she was 17 and a genius or something.lol-Mikita

Well, Beeman stated that he thinks that Hal is supposed to be 17 (and he also stated that he thinks that Ben is supposed to be 14 or 15). So, it seems that even Beeman doesn't know how old Hal is.

As with Lourdes, I can buy that during the developmental stages of FS, they wanted to change the aspect/back story of the character, but they should have really spent some more time on developing Lourdes. It is okay to have a religious character but in the end she came off as schmaltzy, annoying, and stupid (all of the characters do, even Pope, to a degree).

Overall, you can tell that they are making it up as they go along, when it comes to FS. It is okay to make it up as you go, but there are a lot of missed opportunities that they could have went and they should have toned down the schmaltzy family hugs, religious crap, and stupidness in the second half of the pilot (also I hope they are writing down what they created ,as canon, because if they don't we are probably see them making major mistakes in Season 2). Overall, you can tell that there is no show bible for FS.

Edited by TVspectator, Oct 15, 2011 @ 9:25 PM.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

I hope that I put this in the right place.

Season 2 Casting News

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

Yes, you did!

I liked the actor on The Killing, and the character sounds interesting. They can use him to hack into the Skitters and Mechs!

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 12:41 AM

Heh, I don't watch The Killing, but I do know him as Danny from one of my favorite one season guilty pleasures ever, Harper's Island. He ended up being one of the few characters I fully liked, so I'm glad to see him again and I hope this show doesn't waste him.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

Oh, right! I had forgotten all about that. Yes, I liked him in that, too.

Given what has happened to most of the people of color in this show, I feel as if he’s already wearing a red shirt. Prove me wrong, show!

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

Finally a little more information about season 2. Not a lot, but it's something. They have begun production and there's a little info about what we can expect.

Season 2 now in production

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 3:18 PM

I could see some familiar faces in the preview, at least.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 8:53 PM

From the article:

Hal Mason (Drew Roy) "is just about to turn 18." Will he be taking a more prominent role in the 2nd Mass when that happens?

They say this like we're really hanging on by our fingernails, wondering what will happen.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

I found this on a Luciana Carro fansite but I have not been able to find an official press release about her casting. If it's true, Kat's coming to Falling Skies! Good for her.

BSG's Kat coming to Falling Skies

ETA: Luciana Carro did comment on Facebook about getting a role on Falling Skies. So it's happening.

ETA: Colin Cunningham also has pictures on his twitter account of Sanctuary's Ryan Robbins on set filming what is apparently a recurring role on season 2.

Edited by Mikita, Nov 24, 2011 @ 12:04 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

And according to the lined article, they've also hired two writers who wrote for BSG. I didn't watch that show, but I heard good things about it, so maybe they can bring new life to the show.

Although, as weak as the first season could be, it is almost fantastic compared to Terra Nova.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

OK, here's some casting news that mage me gasp and internally scream:

Terry O'Quinn heading to TNT's 'Falling Skies'

Excuse me as I count down the days.

LEBWC98

LEBWC98

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

as weak as the first season could be, it is almost fantastic compared to Terra Nova.

That seems to be the consensus over on the Terra Nova forum. I fell asleep twice during two separate attempts to sit through that pilot, then gave up.

Excuse me as I count down the days.

I've been counting down the days since last summer, seriously. Thank goodness for iTunes.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

They are running ads for this shitball now. They ran during the NBA all-star weekend stuff, between what used to be the rookie/sophomore challenge.

I cringe to say it, but the action packages don't look all that bad. Not a hug in sight. But then they cut to Tom's son returning pants at the gap...err...I mean saying "we have to kill every skitter we see". And Tom saying "I think they did something to my brain". Yeah, that's what all of the people who watch this show say. Why do I continue to tune in? I think they did something to my brain.

And apparently you can get season 2 info if you like them on facebook. Not happening. New Falling Skies this summer! Yay. And by yay, I mean - yay.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Here's a link to two promos for season 2.

promos

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Some of the scenes in those promos look a lot like scenes from Season 1 with some audio over top of them.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Here are some promo pictures from episodes 1 and 2 of the upcoming season.

Episode promo pictures