19-4: "It rains in Thailand" 2011.06.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

157 replies to this topic

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

Ashley talks about Bentley and the weather, because she is good at this. /sarcasm.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

Yeah all the Bentley angst was wearing a little thin. It definitely took me out of the show a lot.

I was surprised at how much I liked Ames and Constantine. Actually I like all the guys she has left. I even liked West, but I knew he was a just a matter of time guy, and had a feeling he would leave tonight.

I think Ryan is okay. I'm not really sure why the other guys dislike him so much.

Wibber13

Wibber13

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

Ugh, all that rain. All the Ryan hate. Only sending the Widower home. Keeping Ames. This show made no sense tonight. And I dread next week. Goddammit, do we really have to deal with Bentley again??? I hope closure happens at least.

I can't stand Lucas and William needs to leave ASAP.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

Tonight was such a happenin' episode it took us 30 minutes to start posting.

I didn't realize this was the Bentlette show. Take a shot every time she makes reference to Bentley! We can be drunk together!

I'd be curious who wins the name mention award between Ashley and Bentley or DeAnna and Brad. Give it up ladies!

Nice to see them do work on the orphanage! The rest of the episode my ADD had control because I tuned half the thing out without even realizing it.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

When the guys said, “it was good of Ashley to do this.” I started screaming, “it wasn’t her idea.” It bugs me that the contestants give the Bachelor/ette credit for the exotic dates, VIP treatments and activities. The only thing I can think of is that the show’s production team is invisible.

I notice that she has given all her one-on-ones the rose. If Ames is looking for a strong, independent woman, then Ashley isn’t the one. I found it interesting that William didn’t speak at all. As a matter of fact they cut all his scenes. I wish she would stop talking about Bentley. He wasn’t that interesting. I think she only wants him because she can’t have him.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

Actually, one of my roommates did decide before the show began to take a shot every time Ashley mentioned Bentley. So I missed the last 90 minutes, because I had to drive her to the hospital with acute alcohol poisoning.
Just kidding.
How many times did she say his name? I lost count after twenty-six. And is he really coming back? To do what? Hug her while stabbing her pet kitty behind her back? Yeah, that girl can really rely on her instincts.

Edited by Ketzel, Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:46 PM.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

So many thoughts about this episode. Thailand is beyond gorgeous -- I want to go! I liked Ames alot but wow, no kiss?? On the other hand, the kisses with JP were n-i-c-e. SHUT UP ABOUT BENTLEY!!!!! Good decision to cut West loose -- he isn't ready, I don't think. Saw Ryan in a totally different light -- I think he's adorable and I really like him, but I can see how his "sunniness" would be tiresome, especially around the guys. William looked like a scared ten-year-old at the Rose Ceremony. And speaking of Rose Ceremony, one again, Ames comes dressed soooo poorly compared to the other guys. I am NOT a clothes snob but it just surprises me. Her heart didn't seem totally into this episode -- going through the motions.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

It's a good thing they had the beautiful scenery this week. It saved the episode. Otherwise the constant chatting about Bentley was annoying. The guys seem more interested in each other than in Ashley. For competition they want to beat each other. But I am not so sure it is because they want Ashley. Most of them seem to have tuned out after her breakdown over Bentley last week.

And I agree about them all gushing about Ashley wanting them to do the charity work. It wasn't her idea it was the show's.

Also why does she constantly wear the cleavage baring tops? She joked about her flat chest and then she always shows it off.

She ended up making West feel really bad. She made an exception because she wanted to keep everyone but him. For awhile I was wondering if she would boot William. Did she even talk to him?

Shylock

Shylock

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

I liked Ames a lot more than I have before. He even looked less like a fish than usual. I have to say, being able to fly to Thailand for cooking class would be incredible, although if I were Ashley I would see all his spontaneity as a red flag. Between all the degrees, and the marathons, and the seventy countries that he jets off to at a moment's notice, I think Ames is the kind of person that collects experiences so that he can say that he had them. (Any Parks and Rec people here? He's a tourist like Justin.) Another big red flag was that for all of Ashley's pushing to get him to say that he wanted a partner for his adventures, what Ames was steadfast about was that he wanted a partner who would understand his wanderlust. Not necessarily one who would join him on a spur of the moment trip, but one who could forgive him when he calls--from Marrakesh. Which is fine if he finds a woman who doesn't have a problem with that, but I don't think Ashley is the one.

Gawd, the juxtaposition of twitchy Ryan, clearly fuming at Blake's bitchy mean girl move (because come on, telling someone that everybody hates them and pretending that you're just keeping it real is a bitch move and always has been) and overcompensating his peppy energy into a kind of defensive, randomly-Support-Our-Troops-invoking mania, with Ashley's dopey soundbites about what a positive presence he has? Hilarious. He was clearly bothered by something, was dialed up to eleven, and she didn't even notice. Or pick up on his "Oh, HERE WE GO, Blake was just telling me about this!" comment when she brought up his positivity. And the other guys can suck it. Yeah, it would be annoying to be around Ryan, but how harmless is A Little Too Enthusiastic Guy? You just give that guy a project, a double thumbs-up, and he's off your hands. This is people wrangling 101, guys.

She and JP are operating on a COMPLETELY different level than the other guys. Actual, physical chemistry there. Now I just want to wait until they have another 1-on-1.

Boring week. Bentley's non-presence is even life-suckier than his actual presence. I want drama! DRAMA!

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

I started paying attention to when I heard the name Bentley and at least half (and probably more like 2/3s) of the time it was during a voiceover. I don't trust things unless I actually see the word Bentley coming out of her mouth. Typical of TPTB hitting us over the head with something 50 million times to get us all hyped up for his return. Which will probably amount to a whole lot of nothing and will be edited to look worse than it was. Yes she had a thing for Bentley and yes she was bothered by what happened but holy crap, I think she was far too busy enjoying Thailand and getting to know the other guys to be THAT upset. She certainly didn't look like she even remembered Bentley's name when she was with JP on the beach.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

For awhile I was wondering if she would boot William. Did she even talk to him?

William wasn't featured in this episode; he was only shown at the rose ceremony. I felt sorry for West. I wonder why he thought going on this show would be a good idea.

Sailing

Sailing

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

Constantine is a low-rent version of winemaker Ben, who's a low-rent version of Dax Shepard. None of them are attractive. I found her date with Constantine incredibly boring, and he's terribly inarticulate.

I'm sorry, but I love me some Gaymes. (Props to whoever coined that one last week, I can't help thinking of him as Gaymes now.) They actually had some intelligent conversation (always a feat for this show) and he's obviously very cultured and well-spoken. Between the conversation and the views on the sea kayak, I was feeling pretty jealous of Ashley - on this date, at least. Puzzled as to why he didn't try to kiss her on his big one-on-one date (when you get a chance like that, you take it, dude!), but he doesn't seem very affectionate or outgoing in general. That said, there's no real spark between them and despite Ashley's numerous declarations that she saw him in a new light and he was so wonderful, I don't think she's feeling it either. The lady, she doth protest too much. They might be a good match on paper, but in reality, not so much. As was made obvious by this episode, Ashley prefers mooning over losers like Bentley. Call me, Gaymes!

The moment between Ashley and JP on the beach post group date - YOWZA! They really have chemistry. I just couldn't keep my eyes off of the fact that they were sitting in the mud or on some wet sand or something. Tres romantic. JP's erring a bit on the jealous side, however. He really doesn't need to be, because with his charm and kissing skills, he should be a frontrunner at this point.

All that rain in Thailand must have been a real drag. But not as much of a drag as being the only guy sent home that night. Ouch! Poor slightly North of South.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Why does it feel like this season is taking forever? This can't be just the fourth episode. Sigh.

In case you missed it:

Luckily, I missed the first 28 minutes, which surely consisted of a rehash of "Bentley is an asshole". Caught the tail end of the date with a very greasy faced and limp haired Constantine that must have gone well, as he gets a rose. Ashley has decided to go for the "no pants" look this episode, donning a short rain coat over even shorter shorts and galoshes at the orphanage. She looks like a flasher. All I can glean from this part is that the guys don't like Ryan for very vague reasons and that Ben S. seems nice. My mind began to wander, so I lost the timeline, but Ben S. gets a few kisses infused with all the passion reserved for an unpleasant great aunt. J.P. and Ashley walk several feet down the beach (but not out of glowering distance of the others) to talk about feelings I guess. J.P. carries Ashley back in the rain because he's manly like that. Ben S. gets a rose--this must have been a group date?--which is a good thing, as everyone was going to leave if the hated Ryan had gotten it again.

A date with Ames and his composite sketch face consists of canoeing, eating a meal out of wash basins and talking about actual things, which certainly is a twist. Ashley is wearing a "Flashdance" inspired tee shirt and a strip of cloth that someone told her was a skirt. We don't get to really see the skirt, as the shirt falls a couple of inches below her hip bones. Ashley is very bowlegged, I have discovered. Did I mention it has been raining the entire episode? Ames is sweet and once flew to Thailand on the spur of the moment to take a cooking class. At the end of the date (he gets a rose) they do not kiss and I am strangely relieved.

Cocktail party. Ashley is wearing a cute and very short dress. You could ride a tricycle through the space between her legs, which probably wouldn't be out of the ordinary in Thailand. Blake confronts Ryan about how all the guys hate him cause he's too damn happy. Ashley confronts Ryan about why he's so damn happy. Answer? He just is. And then something about soldiers and getting shot at? This is the most boring party ever. I just figured out why! No one is drinking enough. This season needs more booze! At some point the guy from Texas and Wes talk to Ashley about being married and then not. Texas guy screwed anything that moved after the divorce from his college sweetheart and Wes assures us he's pretty much over the whole "mysteriously dead wife" incident.

Chris Harrison pulls Ashley away to pick at the open sore that is Bentley. Ashley still has feelings for the guy she knew for a whole week and Chris can understand that as Bentley was such an awesome person. Ashley wants to "break the rules" and only send one guy home. Chris, despite not knowing where on earth he'll find and extra rose this time of night, vows to make it happen because "there are no rules". Ashley gets up and treats me to a glimpse of her panties, a la "Basic instinct".

Fast forward to the end because I can't stand all the twitching and weird facial expressions as the roses are handed out. Wes doesn't get one, thank you for playing. Next week: Bentley shows up in Thailand to find out when "The Bachelor Pad" starts filming.

AmyJWinehouse

AmyJWinehouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

This has nothing to do with the things that Ames is interested in but I really, really get the feeling that he's gay. It's just a complete instinct thing. Of course, I could be 100% wrong. I'm a total go with your gut type of person, so that alone would have made me give him the boot. He seems like a nice person and you could have interesting conversations with him but there seems to be no chemistry whatsoever. I feel he has such a wide width between his eyes, on a shallow note, and it's distracting. I really have my doubts that he is anywhere close to being in the final 3.

I think JP is a front runner. I feel like they have genuine chemistry. At first, I also thought JP might be gay. Now I don't think so. I know I've seen a lot of people disagree with this sentiment, but I think Ben (the guy who kind of looks like Constantine...or almost exactly, really. The mural guy.) is hot. Something about him I like. Oddly enough, I'm not attracted to Constantine at all.

Edited by AmyJWinehouse, Jun 13, 2011 @ 11:06 PM.

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

I think Ben (the guy who kind of looks like Constantine...or almost exactly, really. The mural guy.) is hot.

I told my husband tonight that something must be wrong with me because I think Ben-the-winemaker is getting cuter. I thought it might be because he sort of resembles Constantine but better, so just by virtue of comparison he's looking good. Husband, on the other hand, had a theory that it's because the guys are all drinking a lot and looking a little haggard at this point - but Ben is in practice drinking a lot by virtue of his profession and therefore holds up better.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

but Ben is in practice drinking a lot by virtue of his profession and therefore holds up better.

LOL, a good theory, but I've worked as a bartender and a good drunk I do not make. I wish these two would get better haircuts, but overall I like them both.

aminca

aminca

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 11:48 PM

I'm also a fan of Ben F, which means he will finish 2nd or 3rd. Which is OK, because Ashley is way too insecure and needy for a mature relationship.

Ants

Ants

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 12:38 AM

Someone forgot to tell them it's the rainy season in Thailand.

West = Michael Vartan (sort of)

Blake = Christian Bale (kind of)

I'm surprised how much I've come to like JP. Seems he really likes Ashley, too.

I liked Ames a lot more than I have before.

I did, too. Looks like he works out. His arms were very nice.

Kerri Johnson

Kerri Johnson

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

I'm glad more people are staring to like Ben F. I've found him attractive since the first episode. He's got a great boy, and yes he isn't the best looking but I like his personality. He seems like a nice, quiet guy which the show probably hates.

I found it funny when Ashley said JP had the best kisses yet she was chewing Ben F's face off.

DeMoTV

DeMoTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

I fully believe that Ashley was still reeling from what happened with Bentley. I don't believe that the vast majority of her comments about him were said in real time. Show the words coming out of her mouth and I have no choice. The voiceovers gave it away, for me. I believe they were added in post production to heighten the drama.

Ames' eyes weird me out. It's not his fault they're so far apart, but not even the kayak he was navigating could cover the span between them. Given how much he likes to travel, and does it on a dime, I believe the journey he's on this time is the show's dime and has nothing to do with finding love.

If JP is selling something, I'm buying it. He's charming, endearing and handsome.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 1:00 AM

The whole Bentley thing is really starting to get B-O-R-I-N-G. Do we really have to have another episode focused on this jerk and having him make more snide comments on camera about Ashley? I think we get it by now (even if Ashley doesn't).

Have some self esteem Ashley....if he was into you he wouldn't have left. Learn from history...Ed left during Jillian's episode and came back but it was later discovered he was having his fun during his "hiatus". I'm sure Bentley isn't moping over you....maybe only having 2nd thoughts about missing his Thailand adventure.

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 1:56 AM

If you missed tonight's show, allow me to recap: "Blah blah Bentley blah blah dark place blah blah biggest fear...blah blah Bentley... fear...dark place...Bentley Bentley Bentley." The whole episode. Over some dolt she knew two weeks. Pathetic. I can't believe I used to think she was overly cheerful. Now I just think she's a bit childlike, with her mistaking a crush for love and her emotional highs and lows.

I'm liking the guys a bit more this week. Most of them. Leave out the douche who told Ryan everyone hated him because he was too cheerful. And he is supposed to change that how exactly? Yeah, he should change his whole personality to please a bunch of reality TV whores. Ryan was a lot nicer about that than I would have been.

I'm surprised to find myself liking Ames a bit more, although I think JP is the frontrunner right now.

Next week: More Bentley! I hope whoever produced this drag of a season gets fired.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 2:15 AM

If she's anything like Brad, JP is it. Before their alone time on the group date, she said she was "worried about JP." That's pretty much the same kind of thing Brad was always saying about Emily. I think that they're including that kind of thing to make us think that she's worried about him in a bad way, but I think it's more of an "I'm worried he doesn't know I really like him, so I want to make sure he gets it," kind of thing.

Also, the kissing in the rain was freaking hot. When they started out with him still holding the umbrella, I said to myself, "if the umbrella stays up the whole time, they're not really into it." Sure enough, the umbrella was completely gone second later.

Lisa Miller

Lisa Miller

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 5:25 AM

I finally figured out who Ames reminds me of... Eddie Izzard!

At the final rose ceremony, I can see Ames hopping on a scooter and buzzing away while bidding "Ciao" to Ashley. Are they going to Italy this season? ;-)

eatingchicken

eatingchicken

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 5:53 AM

Decided tonight that Ryan reminds me of Will Schuester from Glee. All that happy happy joy joy.

I actually enjoyed the scene with JP, Winemaker Ben and Blake the Dentist. Not just Blake going "all the guys are going after the same piece of fruit (when he was totally going to say 'ass')" but one of them saying "this isn't normal" in regards to the whole set up of the show.

West... poor boy. Got sent home and looked like he missed his share of the sunscreen while updating the orphanage.

And yeah, I'm struggling to get the snide comments out because this season is a bit uninspiring. It's not a dislike of Ashley, but the Bentley angle isn't even a fun train wreck, it's just beating a dead horse. Lucky that the guys are rather hot and fine because I'd have tuned out now otherwise.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 6:22 AM

The roast, with the "wished you were Emily or Chantal" and the "flat chest" cracks, and the "Bentley Drama" ruined this season for me. Seems that the guys and Ashley are all trying to get by with the second-string team.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 6:40 AM

I wonder if Ali is watching and wondering why she didn't get as fine a group of men? I really didn't like any of her guys much, while I like at least five of Ashley's quite a bit.

Constantine -- as Ashley said he seemed very "real," and he reminds me of Nicholas Cage a little.

Ben the Mural Guy -- as said upthread, an upgraded Constantine in looks and very easy going and good natured.

Ben C. -- he seems made for Ashley but I don't think she's that into him.

JP -- sexy, fun, natural, and I think his seething jealousy of the other guys sort of shows that his feelings are for her are beyond the show.

Ames -- remarkably smart and witty for a show of this caliber, but I agree that he seems to be building a resume of life experiences and I would find him exhausting.

Ryan -- equally exhausting with the PC sound bites and perpetual grin. Will Shuester is dead on, eating chicken.

Blake -- telling everyone that nobody likes Ryan reminded me of Ali telling Jake that no one liked Vienna. It's not his business to point out Ryan's faults, that's our job.

Texas guy -- I couldn't believe she kept him after his whole, "I married my college sweetheart, but after a few years the passion was gone so I dumped her."

William -- I couldn't believe she kept him another week when his immaturity has been right there for all to see. I like him, but in a kid brother kind of way.

Wes -- I couldn't believe she cut him all by himself like that.

I think I like subdued Ashley better than perky Ashley and I admire her hair for doing that well in the rain.

dearalanrickman

dearalanrickman

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 6:45 AM

First of all, Ashley should not be on this show--she's way too insecure to be subjected to mistreatment and rejection. She won't be able to handle it. It was cruel for them to air Bentley's comments without her knowing about it. They are making her look like a complete idiot.

She's obviously one of those girls who love guys that treat her like crap. Until she gets some self-esteem, she'll never accept a guy being nice to her. Don't they have psychologists on the staff of this show?

Second, Ames is gay.

I loved how Ashley got interested in him only after hearing about his spontaneous travels to 70 countries--that could only mean he's rich.

Third, the orphanage thing was appalling. It was not Ashley's idea, or her funds, as the other poster stated. Also, paint and bikes was the best they could do? Try giving them one percent of the production costs for one episode and they would be kings!

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

• Interests:My interests now are taking care of my beautiful baby grand daughter. I love reading comments on TWOP> I can't wait to get on sometimes, especially after watching DWTS or whatever crazy show it is I am watching during the season.

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

I can't stand this 'ette' for her neediness and insecurity alone. When describing a bachelor it's always how secure or 'safe' he can make her feel. How very sad and pathetic this girl is. And yes, you could drive a truck through those bowlegs! She must of wrapped them around too many losers so she could feel safe and secure and appear cute. Thats all I saw her do when she met up with Brad, and now she's doing it any chance she gets with these guys that don't have one shred of a connection with her. What a joke, her going into talk to a cordinater about where and what to do with these guys.

Oh and Thailand is absolutely gorgeous!

Edited by scout56, Jun 14, 2011 @ 7:58 AM.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 8:07 AM

When the guys said, “it was good of Ashley to do this.” I started screaming, “it wasn’t her idea.” It bugs me that the contestants give the Bachelor/ette credit for the exotic dates, VIP treatments and activities. The only thing I can think of is that the show’s production team is invisible.

You too, Firthient? I can't decide if the guys are just that stupid, or whether the producers encourage them to chat up Ashley's supposed generosity. They did a "feel good" date last season too, in Africa. And cue the adorable foreign children!

I never liked Ryan, and as we see more of him, I can see why the guys are irritated by him. He was bossy at the orphanage, and Blake nailed it when he said Ryan has to be "on" all the time. Hubby and I were howling when he was comparing himself to deployed soldiers. There's happy and cheerful, and then there's whatever Ryan is. YMMV, but I know someone who acts just like Ryan, and it's a hugely fake act. Piss him off, and meow! The claws come out. There's no middle-ground, and I see those qualities in Ryan, too.