3-10: "My Life as a Chef" 2011.09.15 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 7:01 PM

I kind of thought that the fix was in for Mary Sue, especially as her business partner Susan was at the meal. I know that Susan wasn't a judge, but to have a strong advocate could have had an effect on the judging especially if it had been close. I understand that they invited former Master Chef contestants, but it did seem a bit unfair. Loved it when after the meal and Susan had gone up and given Mary Sue big hugs and kisses that Floyd asked where his were, and Jonathan Waxman went running up (love that man!).

ITA, and was surprised that I didn't see this observation more in the forum. Nothing against MarySue, but when I saw Susan I expected that each of the final 3 must have been able to invite a "cheerleader" to the meal.

Penny Robinson

Penny Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

I thought the fix was in for Mary Sue too. Especially considering she should have been axed in the cupcake fiasco.

I totally forgot about the guy that cooked a perfect risotto and was eliminated. This season was crazy.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 11:51 PM

Floyd? Freaking FLOYD?

The edit over the past couple of weeks has totally telegraphed that he was going to win, but I still don't see how it's possible that he ended up winning. This is a bigger joke than Kevin Sbara winning TC7.

I can't believe I invested all that time into this show to see Floyd beat the two chefs that were clearly his superior the whole time.

Not saying Floyd's undeserving, but the way this show goes through top female chefs, I think it will be a long time before any woman comes as close as Mary Sue did to winning in the end.

This.

Edited by pez10s, Jun 18, 2011 @ 12:15 AM.

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

I don't know if I've ever been quite as surprised by a reality show finale as I was by this one. I didn't see Floyd winning this whatsoever. From the looks of it, neither did Traci. Nor should she. Because, you know, she's been pretty good throughout the show. As has Mary Sue.
Floyd seemed to me to have skated through by not really standing out on either end of the spectrum. For him to win in the end, because someone couldn't conjure up a food memory doesn't really seem right.

I loved Traci's sly comment on how silly trying to recreate someone else's food memory is. It's as if she wanted to say "I wasn't there. I didn't cook the food. I don't know their recipe. I can't get inside your dreams, lady. I'm a chef, not acting in Inception."

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 8:52 AM

After Tom tweeted today that he was having back surgery for a herniated disk, maybe that's why he's been such so sour the last two cycles...

I wonder how long ago he hurt his back since we know TCM was taped months ago. If he was judging after suffering a herniated disk then I have to give him a pass. I swear, when I slipped my disk I was in so much pain that I would've glady give up any secrets that I had to make it stop. It was a long time before I could sit comfortably for extended periods of time. That shit hurts.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

With respect to fried duck, I have seen on multiple Iron Chefs, the original Japanese version, where they hang a duck in the air above hot grease and repeatedly ladle the hot oil over the skin of the duck to get it crispy. I think I even remember Morimoto doing it in the American version of IC. It was talked about on the Japanese IC as a traditional way of cooking duck and maybe this is the dish that was remembered.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

I think the fried duck was in relation to French cooking, since the duck she remembered eating was at a restaurant in France.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 12:07 PM

Its been 40 years since she had the duck? Maybe her memory is so bad she doesn't remember it was at a Chinese restaurant in Paris! :)

nanobabes

nanobabes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

I was pretty surprised that Floyd won, but I didn't mind at all that he did. I know that Mary Sue was slated to win, but honestly, I always found her wins questionable. Obviously I'm not there to taste, so maybe her dishes were superior, but I always found other people's dishes more complex and tastier sounding. And a lot of times, those dishes were Floyd's (always the bridesmaid to Mary Sue the bride), so I wasn't upset about him winning despite lack of previous wins. He was consistently on the top, plus - though it's pretty irrelevant - he's so damn likable. It's hard not to root for the guy!

It did seem like they were pushing for a female chef winner this year, but in a way I'm glad that a male won. Only because it proves that the season wasn't "rigged" or there was a bias to make a female chef win. They were being treated equally. The female chefs clearly dominated the season to the point that I thought that the women contestants outnumbered the men, but just checking the bravo site now I see that there was an equal number of men and women. I'm glad to have seen the women kick ass and don't need to see them be crowned top chef to prove that they can hold their own. Most of the time, I think that TC finalists are equally "top chefs", it's just a matter of who outcooks the other in the final meal. I'm just glad that Floyd finally won some money for his charity, and got the recognition that I think he deserved.

I think all of the contestants were a likable bunch, I so so so wish they were treated with the same respect as TC masters in previous seasons.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

Of course, to get rid of suggestions of bias, they could do all the tastings "blind" of who cooked them.

Catronia

Catronia

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 3:44 AM

I was disappointed overall that Floyd won, because he is one of the few chefs this season whose food I've eaten, and it is just not all that great. On the other hand, I totally agreed with this:

While I am a big Mary Sue fan and wanted her to win, I would only want her (or any person for that matter) to win if they, I don't know, did the best and..... won. They made 3 courses, 2 of which they selected, there was no limit on the amount they could spend, a reasonable time limit, a reasonable number of people to feed (i.e. no buffet), help from a trusted sous, so it was a fair challenge and it sounds like the best meal won. I did not sense any prejudice against women, and in fact 2/3rds of the finalist were women, they just did not do as well as Floyd on that evening.

I just don't see any sexism in this show or in Top Chef. I see them picking the worst dishes to send home, and that's all. I do see a preference for adventurous and experimental dishes over "home-style" dishes, and I share that preference when not cooking/eating at home, so I think the judges are right for not rewarding conservative successful execution over risk-taking, especially toward the end.

I wanted Traci to win of those left (Hughnibrow was my favorite), but, yeah, she just didn't get the job done here at the end, to my chagrin. That shrimp did look boring. Although I also thought she was (unintentionally) totally screwed by Gael's duck request. Beef Rendang and Lemon Souffle are totally identifiable dishes that one can clearly choose to render iconically or do a modern take on or both. "Breaded Fried Duck with Bearnaise Sauce" if that's what Gael indeed had some decades ago is some (possibly delicious) idiosyncratic dish that no one could hope to replicate, let alone use as a base for an improvisatory takeoff. Breaded duck? With bearnaise? I mean, OK, I guess, but neither is remotely instinctive. How does breading interact with duck skin? Do you remove the skin? Blahblahblah. So Traci really got the fuzzy end of the lollipop there. But I really don't think it was any kind of sexism or intentional sabotage. It was just Gael being Gael.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

Although this season definitely had its issues, there was one thing I liked, possibly more than any other season or version of TC. There was a lack of stress for me in the finale, because I would have been fine with any of the three finalists winning. There was no one who would have distressed me to see win. I liked all three of them, so I could relax and watch to see who did what. That lack of tension didn't make me any less interested in the outcome. In fact, it was a nice change to be able to focus more on the food, and see how it all played out.

I was happy for Floyd, because he did bring it in the final meal, plus he had done so well in many other challenges. It was a nice plus that Floyd is such a sweet man. I watched the finale on Father's Day, and I was really touched when he talked about his father. All of the chefs had worthy charities, and all of them seemed really passionate about them, but Floyd's seemed especially close to his heart due to the connection with his dad.