3-10: "My Life as a Chef" 2011.09.15 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

From Zap2it:

The chefs create a four-course meal and face the past when they remake their worst reviewed dishes.

MingSchwazia

MingSchwazia

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Well that was... surprising. I honestly thought Mary Sue had it in the bag with that souffle.

Delirium64

Delirium64

Couch Potato

• Interests:I'm a psychologist (specializing in developmental psych and forensic psych). I love "Criminal Minds," "The Amazing Race," and trashy reality shows.

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

I would have been happy with any of them, but I really thought (and hoped) it would have been Mary Sue.

SavingSanta

SavingSanta

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

Why are these people so inappropriate about these professional women? Between calling Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken "hotties" and speculating how much sex Gael had on her wedding night, their behavior in that regard is just gross. And they thought it was just sooooo hilarious that it made the final cut on the episode? I felt so icky following those exchanges.

I also thought Mary Sue had "WINNER" stamped all over her. Everyone was tripping over themselves complimenting her dinner and even Traci's, and I felt like Floyd just got a solid "meh".

Whatever. I totally forgot this show existed until I ran across it on the channel guide so cheers, Top Chef. Maybe, just maybe, you can stop sucking so hard. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

I expected it to be Mary Sue and was delighted that it was Floyd!

ajay

ajay

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I've been expecting a Floyd win since his screen time increased a few episodes ago, but while watching, I thought it might be Mary Sue.

It was pretty unexciting, much like the whole season. I'm disappointed.

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

I expected it to be Mary Sue and was delighted that it was Floyd!

Me too! I was so happy that Floyd won. He seems like a genuinely great guy. Mary Sue was my least favorite of the final three although I liked her fine. I know she's a great chef, but her dishes always seemed pedestrian compared to all the other chefs. I knew Tracy had lost as soon as Tom Collichio trashed her first dish.

Edited by nannerbadnanner, Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:42 PM.

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

I liked all three of them and would've been happy -- well, satisfied -- with any of the three of them winning. I probably wanted Mary Sue to win, but have to say this whole season was so blah that I wasn't going to get excited no matter what happened. It was all just ... nice. It all felt like a big nonevent.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

I was so happily surprised at Floyd's win that I let out a rather large whoop! Well played, editing monkeys, you really had me going with the "Floyd Lost in Traffic" schtick. I really thought that Mary Sue had it with all the adoration of the lemon souffle. I'm thrilled for Floyd because he has been the humblest of the crew. He really did cook who he was.

That being said, I have never had souffle, but I imagine that a lemon souffle would be wonderful and I might wax poetic on it as well.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

I liked this episode the best out of the season but that is damning with faint praise since I didn't like this season but it was just nice to see them get along and no drama (other than Floyd getting lost) or stupid challenges and just seeing them have a nice meal with Curtis was also nice.

I would have preferred Traci because she is a hometown girl and I just love La Cocina and the work that they do (not that I don't want to end childhood hunger or cancer!), but without them some of my favorite food businesses wouldn't exist!

I loved Jonathan Waxman getting up and giving Floyd and Traci a hug!

dirtyhippiegirl

dirtyhippiegirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

I totally didn't know that Mary Sue is married to Susan's ex! That's a bit...weird.

dirtyhippiegirl

dirtyhippiegirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Double post, meep! But I just watched Waxman full-on smooch Traci...

Edited by dirtyhippiegirl, Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:09 PM.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

I wanted Hugh to win but thought it would be Naomi. Then they were gone and slowly I started getting behind Floyd but I never ever thought he'd win. He never won a challenge did he?

Once again I got a phone call during the show so I might have missed it but did Curtis just fix them an appetizer and soup??

Hated Colicchio. He's just so negative.

Those phone polls are so stupid. I have a bad case of CRS but even I can think back 15 minutes and answer the question. I know it's not meant to be a Mensa exam but geesh.

Did anyone think Floyd left the kitchen instead of getting lost in traffic?

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

Count me in with those who thought it was Mary Sue's. Happy for Floyd. Also happy to see everyone getting along and no shenanigans by TPTB.

I realized that I didn't really care about anyone this season because I wasn't disappointed with the sous chefs. I actually was happy they were able to cook with someone they were familiar with.

Curtis was actually nice and dialed down the 'pompous smarmy'. I almost found him to be charming. Almost.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:37 PM

I like Floyd, but Mary Sue won more competitions throughout the season and seemed like she could have been the winner of this one, too; based on the comments, it's not like she blew it in any way

Not saying Floyd's undeserving, but the way this show goes through top female chefs, I think it will be a long time before any woman comes as close as Mary Sue did to winning in the end.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

I'm glad that Floyd won. For an immigrant, to get a masters in biochem, then become a chef, then win TCM is incredible. His charity seems very interesting as well.

I was shocked to learn how old Mary Sue was. She has definitely aged well compared to most of the other chefs, men and women. I also didn't realize how close a relationship she had with Susan. FN needs to give these women a show right now. I've seen them together on youtube and it seems they have been doing shows together for decades. They are so close they complete each others sentences, it's hilarious to watch.

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

How tall is Curtis? He looked like when he standing next to the final three.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:51 PM

FN needs to give these women a show right now.

They had one, Two Hot Tamales, which ran for several years in the 90s.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:53 PM

Did Floyd get a special TCM jacket for his win? Do all the winners get one? I guess I never paid attention.

FoodAndMusic

FoodAndMusic

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:55 PM

nannerbadnanner: (love your username!) I did a search on Curtis: 6'4"

ITA with those who thought Mary Sue won it - Floyd was surprised too! I'm happy for him.

Funny seeing James Oseland as a young man...

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

I totally didn't know that Mary Sue is married to Susan's ex! That's a bit...weird.

Want to hear something even weirder? I read that at one time Mary Sue and Susan were lovers. So one possible timeline - Mary Sue and Susan are lovers, Susan gets married, Mary Sue dates men, Susan gets divorced, Mary Sue marries Susan's ex-husband, Susan is living openly as a lesbian, Mary Sue and Susan remain best friends. Too close for comfort for me.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 12:32 AM

Josh Schweitzer and Susan were married for two years and they divorced before she met Mary Sue, they actually were high school sweethearts. She introduced Josh and Mary Sue when they decided to open City Cafe in LA and Susan wanted Josh, who she was still friends with and was an architect to design it. Mary Sue and Josh have been married for over 20 years.

Edited by biakbiak, Jun 16, 2011 @ 1:12 AM.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 1:06 AM

Speaking as someone who wanted Mary Sue to go for that Hostess Cupcake back in episode 1...Yay! Even as they were going through the litany of prizes and ramping up to the announcement, I'd resigned myself to hearing Mary Sue, so I actually yelled when they said Floyd. Beautiful job with a Jay McCarroll. Even better after I'd resigned myself to him going home for the Soldier's episode.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 1:09 AM

Josh and Mary Sue (who seem like Susan's two dearest friends--and, personally, I never heard any lesbian rumors about MS/S) were "love at first sight" .. aw.

So nice to see Susar, Susan, etc. And how cute was Jonathan going over so Floyd and Traci could get a hug too (also liked him needling Gael a bit re: sweetbreads).

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 1:33 AM

They had one, Two Hot Tamales, which ran for several years in the 90s.

Like I said, they need a show NOW, as in today, not yesteryear. With a good modern budget, not a cheap 90s budget. High production values with plenty of guests and out of studio segments. Their appearance on TCM this episodes confirms they still have good on screen chemistry together.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 5:39 AM

I like these three chefs a lot. But still, I actually fell asleep before the winner was announced. What a non-compelling season.

Jonathan Waxman stole the show. LOVED his gentle mockery of Gael. I took it as a very subtle STFU.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 6:10 AM

I was fullly expecting a Top Chef twist with them taking away the sous chefs on the second day. What a relief when that did not happen.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 6:31 AM

Hey, congratulations, Top Chef! In how many seasons of regular, Masters, and Just Desserts, we still only have one female winner?

The culinary world is just about the most sexist place on Earth, I suppose.

HotToddy

HotToddy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 7:20 AM

I liked all 3 chefs and thought Mary Sue had it in the bag. Was *so* happy that Floyd won - he's been my favorite from the get-go!

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 7:45 AM

Hey, congratulations, Top Chef! In how many seasons of regular, Masters, and Just Desserts, we still only have one female winner?

The culinary world is just about the most sexist place on Earth, I suppose.

The numbers would certainly indicate that something is going on. What did the four judges do or say in this episode that indicated favoritism towards the male chef?