Nan Flanagan: Vampire Spokeswoman

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

24 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

I was surprised to see that she didn't have a thread, especially considering (if I remember correctly) that she's the first vampire we actually met on the show and also for a seemingly background character, her role has continued to expand over the course of the three seasons and more than likely the fourth one too.

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 2:28 PM

Glad there's a thread for her now-her face, when Russell was tearing up the newscast, was absolutely priceless.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2011 @ 12:41 AM

The actress who plays Nan just kills it every time she's on screen. I adore Nan. How old is she supposed to be? I wonder why someone of her age and skill and prestige isn't the queen of some territory.

Thanata

Thanata

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2011 @ 9:05 AM

Yay for Nan!
I am SO glad Jessica Tuck finally has her name during the True Blood titles.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

I'm glad Nan is playing a bigger role in the series. It's always been implied that she had a certain influence as a vampire and over the last while, we've been seeing more of it.

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 27, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

Since last season, I have been convinced that the AVL is bullshit and lies, and it's really just Nan Flanigan: Empress of all She Surveys. She's probably fuckin' Mata Hari or something.

Edited by areca, Jun 27, 2011 @ 8:24 PM.

caraway seed

caraway seed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Since last season, I have been convinced that the AVL is bullshit and lies, and it's really just Nan Flanigan: Empress of all She Surveys.

After episode 2, I keep on hearing Cartman: "Respect my Authoriteh!"

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 12:30 AM

Since last season, I have been convinced that the AVL is bullshit and lies, and it's really just Nan Flanigan: Empress of all She Surveys.

God, I hope so.

beckybee

beckybee

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 4:30 AM

The actress who plays Nan just kills it every time she's on screen. I adore Nan. How old is she supposed to be? I wonder why someone of her age and skill and prestige isn't the queen of some territory.

I'm pretty sure she holds authority over kings/queens.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 6:07 AM

Nan's age: I've been trying to place that, too. One thing that puzzles me is her hair. Women in most of the ancient European societies wore their hair long. Some never cut their hair at all. So why is Nan's hair a chin-length bob?

I know Sophie Ann's hair wasn't that long either, but some people's hair never grows very long - and in the French court they often wore huge wigs. Their hair underneath could be anything, or so I told myself about that. But Nan? Did someone cut her hair off as a punishment before she was turned? Or maybe she was a pilgrim? The women there might've kept their hair fairly short since they wore all that on their heads. Maybe cut short because of a lice outbreak? I'd really love to know Nan's backstory. She must be very old, and I bet her backstory is a kicker.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

Does vampire hair immediately regrow to the length it was at time of death, or might she be cutting it to a more modern length as needed?

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

Does vampire hair immediately regrow to the length it was at time of death, or might she be cutting it to a more modern length as needed?

Eric cut his hair is S1 and it's never grown back, but Jess re-virgins every night so I don't think we can go by this as AB's all over the place.
She talked about Salem like she was there (she said 'we thought') so she's 320+ even if she'd literally just been turned. Beyond that I have no clue as to her age.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:29 PM

As fastidious as vamps are about their appearance, could they cut their hair daily and it stays at least 24 hours? It took Jessica overnight to revirginate, I thought.

Thinking about Nan's last name, Flanagan, it sounds Scots or Irish. Wouldn't it be interesting if she lived through things like what happened at Greyfriars? If she were one of the Covenanters? Then, maybe went to America to have a little revenge on the British? Whatever her backstory is, with her cool composure and ruthless nature, it could be really, really interesting to see her juxtaposed at various points with history.

I can really imagine her in a grim scene like what happened there - being saved when turned as others around her starved and died. Maybe even feeding from them as it happened. And making her escape.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

I hope we get some insight into Nan's past at some point. I'm sure there's a lot of fascinating history there.

Thanata

Thanata

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2011 @ 8:45 AM

I love Nan's contrasting attire. When she appears on TV, as the voice of the AVL, she looks like a Republican Congresswoman, with pastel skirted suits and artfully draped silk scarves. When she is conducting vampire affairs, she rocks black leather and spandex.
I like that she is a hypocrite - enjoying some willing human hemoglobin in her limo while flogging the virtues of a TruBlood diet in public.

Blurose

Blurose

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Whatever her backstory is, with her cool composure and ruthless nature, it could be really, really interesting to see her juxtaposed at various points with history.

On the S1 DVD "the Vampires in America" faux documentary included a lengthy interview with 'Oohh Ms. Flanagan.' The interviewer tries to guess her age by looking at her office memorabilia pics showing her with both presidents Roosevelts and in a 19th century painting. I love extra nuggets like this esp when they get into vamp history and what all these immortal beings would have experienced first hand and how they would've integrated into previous societies. For i am a history dork with a thing for political, authoritative women. :)

Edited by Blurose, Aug 1, 2011 @ 11:43 PM.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

So she was totally getting the business downtown when Bill called, right? I have never seen such an obvious just-finished face in life.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2011 @ 6:44 AM

Never even occurred to me the first time I saw it. Then after reading comments here, I rewatched the entire episode. Nan is definitely squirming. Ew.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

RIP Nan, of all the Authority, you were my favorite vampire.

And that includes Queen Sophie Ann.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 7:47 AM

Sorry to see Nan go. She seemed uncharacteristically unobservant just before they staked her. Bill and Eric exchanged several glances, and also, Eric stood behind her. Both had reason to hate her. Did her arrogance do her in?

Especially now, hearing how old she really was, I'd love to know her back story. I still hope that can be shown us at some point, somehow.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

I won't miss Nan at all. She gave good snark, but that didn't make up for her arrogance or her incompetance. Eric warned Nan about Russell, but she didn't listen. Bill warned her about Marnie and the Tolerance Festival, but she didn't listen to him, either. But Nan's biggest mistakes were pissing off the Authority, aka the Vampire Mafia, and trying to use Sookie to blackmail Bill and Eric, which got her and the "gay stormtroopers" killed.

Had Nan suggested that they work together to protect Sookie and each other instead of threatening to serve her up to the highest bidder, she might still be alive. Since Nan didn't have sense enough not to use Sookie against Bill and Eric, she deserved the true death she got, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DollEyes, Sep 18, 2011 @ 12:39 PM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

Then again, Nan had no interest in Sookie: unlike Pam, she wasn't dating her maker; unlike Jessica, she wasn't there since the moment she was turned; unlike Queen Sophie-Ann, Nan didn't care to walk in daylight and, unlike Russell Edgington, Nan wanted to live as an active part of human society.

I reckon that, even now, she had an agenda, a plan and the means to carry on with or without them.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

I'm kinda disappointed in the Nan character. For as old as she was and as smart as she seemed to be, to let herself get killed by Beel & Eric was kinda dumb.

For whatever reason she just wasn't as memoriable as she could have been. My favorite part from her was when Jessica was whinning to her about her breakup with Hoyt. Very icy! IDK, I kinda like the female vamps to be little sassy and a bit cruel similar to Pam; I guess its just what I'm used to.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2011 @ 5:24 PM

I think Nan beat them all because she didn't want to be human, she wanted to live like one. And, for the first few years after the big revelation, that's exactly what she got.

She even got backstabbed like a [human] politic would've. In a way, I think she lived the dream, just like she always wanted it.

Edited by agora, Oct 6, 2011 @ 5:27 PM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

My favorite part from her was when Jessica was whinning to her about her breakup with Hoyt.

I think my favorite part will always be those endless debates between her and Steven Newlin from the first three seasons.

Edited by zomb, Oct 6, 2011 @ 8:36 PM.