1-9: "Baelor" 2011.06.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

817 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

TV Guide sez:

Catelyn makes a deal with the untrustworthy Walder Frey; Robb has his first success on the battlefield; Tyrion finds himself in an unfamiliar environment; Jon discovers Maester Aemon's secret; Daenerys goes to extremes to help Drogo.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

I....CAN NOT...BREATHE!

imjustsayin

imjustsayin

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

OMG! OMG! OMG! I'm so heartbroken! Khal Drogo is dead. Ned is dead! I am speechless!

Markzaku

Markzaku

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

I'm starting to think that Joffrey isn't a very nice person.

KatieJo

KatieJo

Couch Potato

The people who create this show are freaking awesome. I knew this was coming, but my heart was still in my throat from the second I heard that Ned was being brought to the Sept of Baelor. They really shot and edited that scene beautifully. In short, Oh, Ned! :(

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

Holy moley. Cannot process all this.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

damn, they really will kill anyone on this show...Joffrey must die in an extremely gruesome way...

WatchrTina

WatchrTina

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

Joffrey you little shit.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

The "silent edit" was perfectly executed. That was a scene that could have been completely mishandled, and they were up to the task. It could not have been more poignant.

Impi

Impi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Twins in the Opening!

Loved the Aemon speech!

Way too long in the Tyrion tent, would have rather seen him do battle, but I get budget concerns, ok whatever.

Interesting, Ned pointing out Arya to Yoren.

Overall awesome though!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

"If we played it your way, Kingslayer, you'd win. We won't be playing it your way." Damn, Robb just turned into a man before our eyes.
Ah, Ned. You were a good man, and deserved better. Although you picked a bad time to bend your principles.
Joffrey's king now, Cersei. Deal with it.

imjustsayin

imjustsayin

Video Archivist

I really need a hug after watching this show. I'm so very upset right now and there is no comforting.

PadmeSkywalker

PadmeSkywalker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

As someone who has read the book I was dying to come to TWOP to see everyone freak out. lol. I remember reading posts from people saying that they hoped that Arya would somehow rescue Ned. Game of Thrones is most definitively NOT a Disney movie and no one is ever safe, unlike a lot of books and tv series, but that is one of the reasons that it is so compelling. The fun is just beginning.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Awesome death. Epic. I felt that despite not liking Ned all that much. His poor daughters.

On a lighter note--way to survive a battle Tyrion! And way to go producers, avoiding an epic battle scene.

areca

areca

Video Archivist

I miss my dad. 20 years and it still hurts.

Edited by areca, Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:06 PM.

Grom

Grom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

That was about as painful to watch as I was expecting it to be.

Sean Bean has another great death scene to add to his reel.

Edited by Grom, Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:07 PM.

halfwaygone

halfwaygone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

Catelyn has never been a character I liked all that much (book or show), but I think this episode showed all of her good sides: she's one tough lady. Robb also kicked some serious ass this week; loved him reflecting on the fallen men and his seriousness about the Twins negotiations. And Theon actually didn't annoy the crap out of me for once either. Actually, NOBODY annoyed the crap out of me this week, though Jon got a little close with how emo he was getting. Maester Aemon was made of win, but I always like the Maesters (well except Pycelle, but he didn't bother me this week).

Interesting that they had Ned point out Ayra to Yoren. I liked that bit, and that he waited till she was gone (hoping she couldn't see) and then felt at peace to put his head down (and die). I liked that they spelled it out (he doesn't care about his own life) clearly before he "confessed" for the sake of Sansa, so there'd be no mistake. I even liked Sansa's initial smug "Look what I arranged for you!" smile and how it was wiped away. Actually, everything about that last scene, I liked.

Tyrion's whore ( Shae - I guess they may not have said her name?) wasn't what I expected, but I loved the Bronn/Tyrion/Her bits too. My favorite was:

Tyrion: I'm an excellent judge of character.
Bronn: That sounds like a boring game.

I would LOVE to watch the Bronn/Tyrion show.

Tyrion gets all the great lines: "Surely there's a way to kill me that's less of a [hinderance] (forget the actual word used) to the war effort" also made me laugh.

Dany's story didn't do much for me onscreen, but I didn't hate it either. Poor horse though. Man, being a horse on this show is dangerous.

ETA: Were non-book-readers surprised by Ned's fate? I'm curious.

Edited by halfwaygone, Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:20 PM.

nicole61083

nicole61083

Channel Surfer

This is just wayyyy fucked up. Goodbye Ned, if you had bended your principles two episodes ago, you might still have your head.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Wow. Having never read the book, I had no idea that was happening. I figured Sean Bean was the safest one of the cast. Poor Ned...a good and noble man who was played again at the end. You can't trust a Lannister or anyone at King's Landing. Although I criticized Ned a lot, Sean Bean made the performance very likeable and was the anchor of this show. It'll be interesting to see the show fills the void and who picks it up.

Great episode. Loved the Maester confession scene and Jon Snow receiving his sword. Love the character of Bron "Better get one of my own." We unlock the Twins and Lord Frey is Argus Filch! Really was afraid Cat might have to sleept with him to get what she wanted. Didn't expect the capture of the Kingslayer either. Sparing him was wise because he means the world to the Lannisters.

Mari2009

Mari2009

Channel Surfer

Interesting, Ned pointing out Arya to Yoren.

Who is Yoren and have we seen him before?

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

Since I need to focus on something other than that final scene, I want to acknowledge how amazing the Aemon/Jon encounter was. Like Selmy's dismissal last week, spectacular work with a small but very significant scene. I was completely riveted, despite knowing what was to come. Fucking brilliant.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

HOLY MOTHERFUCKER! That was incredible. I can't believe they did that. I feel bad for the people who have read the books, because I haven't been that shocked watching TV in ages.

I thought that was a perfect character death. While it was shocking, it wasn't done for shock value, and will significantly change the show. Sansa and Arya are in extremely hostile territory, Snow can't stay on the wall, Rob becomes the new lord, and Cersie has no control over her new king. Wonderful. Plus, Cersie was right, if you want to play the game of thrones, you better be good at it. Ned, you were a nice guy, and probably a fantastic soldier, but you were no politician.

Khal Drogo is dead.

I don't think he is. At least, we have no confirmation. Depends on what the Blood Magick does.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

It is a credit to this show, and Sean Bean in particular, that the final scene made me just as shockedsadangry as that scene in the book.

Lily Patil

Lily Patil

Loyal Viewer

I'm still all verklempt, in spite of being a book reader and knowing full well it was coming. Well done, show.
Couple of minor quibbles otherwise - that expo dump in Tyrion's tent brought the whole episode to a screeching halt for a few minutes. And it seemed like they could have shown at least a little of either of the battles.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

I really need a hug after watching this show. I'm so very upset right now and there is no comforting.

So glad Yoren was there to hold onto Arya. (In the books he doesn't really hug her, just grab her.) But poor Sansa. She tried so hard to save him.

I sort of expected someone to mention that they could trade Jaime for Ned in the Whispering Wood scene. You know, false hope and then pull the rug out and all. What does it say about me that I'm meaner than the producers?

ETA:

Since I need to focus on something other than that final scene, I want to acknowledge how amazing the Aemon/Jon encounter was. Like Selmy's dismissal last week, spectacular work with a small but very significant scene. I was completely riveted, despite knowing what was to come. Fucking brilliant.

Yes! Good point. I've been waiting for the Old Bear mention to Jon that Aemon had gone through the death of his brother, his brother's children, his brother's great grandchildren, etc and still stayed on the Wall. It was a nice change to have Aemon tell Jon himself. It left it more ambiguous. And I love Maester Aemon forever!

Edited by BitchySmurf, Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:12 PM.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Daaaaammmmn. Well Ned, I'm going to miss ya. Poor Sansa. At least Arya was spared the sight of her father's death.

Looks like Cersi didn't have as much control as she thought she did. Hmmm. So will they kill Jaime now?

Who would have thought that a Targaryen was among the Knightswatch? Guess Robert is pissed that he couldn't kill them all!

Robb is da man.

I thought for sure that Dany was going to be told to sacrifice her baby for Drogo. Poor Drogo and his poor horse. I don't think this is going to end well for him.

Bookrat

Bookrat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

Anyone want to bet that it was Littlefinger who convinced Joffrey to kill Ned instead of sending him to the wall like his mother and Sansa wanted?

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

Damn that was intense, I was spoiled, but Ned's death was still very effecting, in the end, I'm sorry that he went against his principals, but he did it to save his daughters, sigh, that little bastard Joffrey.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Lol. I take back everything I ever said about this not being a suprise any more. Twitter is afire with what the end of this episode, half of the tweets complaining about reading the huge spoiler on twitter. Too funny.

halfwaygone

halfwaygone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Who is Yoren and have we seen him before?

He's the man of the Night's Watch who traveled with Jon and Tyrion and was taking the rapers and thieves to The Wall. That's his job. I'm not sure if the show spelled this out (not really a spoiler); you may have intuited it: but he was there to pick up Ned since many had suggested he could take the Black. Anyway, he goes around recruiting and getting prisoners to take back for men of the NW, I guess. He died recently in the "Who Will Survive?" thread contest on TWOP and it took awhile to get anything witty about him since he hasn't done all that much.