My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

• Please log in to reply

514 replies to this topic

Chyromaniac

Chyromaniac

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Just watched The Last Roundup on Netflix instant. Seems they changed Derpy's voice there too. Kind of a bummer. Anyone know if there is anywhere to watch the episode with her original voice intact?

Your best bet is the "Friendship Express" DVD- when it came out a few months ago, it had the original version. And, even when Shout Factory had to issue replacements to correct an audio glitch on a separate episode, they left "The Last Roundup" as is. Having said that, there's always a possibility that it could be replaced with the bowdlerized version in a future batch of DVDs- so you may want to pick up a copy sooner rather than later.

Edited by Chyromaniac, May 16, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

So, it sounds like the new season is only going to have thirteen episodes instead of the usual twenty six. Kind of a bummer.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Well, it does mean they can pay twice as much attention to each episode (I gather that general opinions on season two was that about half the episodes could have used a couple more drafts at least).

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

While we still wait for season three, here's a pretty darn awesome fanfic about Discord spending season two telepathically manipulating certain folks to become his Elements of Disharmony:

Deceit:
Spoiler

Cruelty:
Spoiler

Anger:
Spoiler

Greed:
Spoiler

Betrayal:
Spoiler

Power/
Spoiler
:
Spoiler

It's actually made believable how he's enough of a puppetmaster to get them all to work for him, and things get very emotional and suspenseful. I can actually see it as something of a special movie for the show.

http://www.fimfictio...1686/Discordant

Edited by Eegah, Aug 10, 2012 @ 7:46 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

An awesome video about Bridle Gossip and Feeling Pinkie Keen by Greg from Pop Arena.

http://blip.tv/pop-a...-review-6319764

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

The S3 13 episodes assures the show gets to the magical (pun not intended) 65 episodes, allowing them to syndicate the heck of out it.

There is some concern from animation fans in the fandom that this is all Hasbro plans to do, not ruling out Direct-to-video or TV movies, given the past history of toyetic kids shows. But, that said, all the current staff (writing and production) that haven't left willingly are still employed at the respective studios, Hasbro continues to push the brand along with the brony edge (they may never name Derpy ever again, but they will get her on *anything* they can, including Celestia's cutie mark) and support the fandom as best as they reasonably can. All the VAs and production team are still actively involved even though by now all 13 episodes should have long been in the can and they should be working on S4 now if that were to happen.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Sounds like the new season starts on September 22!

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Season One DVDs coming out in December!

Edited by SilverShadow, Sep 15, 2012 @ 6:46 AM.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Oh I'm so happy!

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Any news on when season 3 starts, and why the heck wouldn't the newtwork be advertising it on the HUB website by now? I'm eagerly awaiting because my very own wonderful daughter worked on the music for it with composer Will Anderson. It's her first big job in L.A. and I'm thrilled to death and very anxious to see the shows broadcast at last. I know they've wrapped so what's the friggin' hold up? Anybody?

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

It's November.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Apparently the S1 set comes out on the same day as the DVD of the S3 opener...that's cutting it closer than I'd expect to the airing of the opener (I'm guessing either the 3rd or the 10th, so they can get a couple of episodes in before Thanksgiving hits), but whatever.

And the impending S1 release means I probably need to get off my butt and snag the Friendship Express DVD, since in all likelihood Derpy's name will not survive the inevitable S2 release.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I have no idea why the hell the Hub isn't plugging it like crazy (or perhaps they are and I'm just missing every...single...promo...it could happen!), but hey: the two-part S3 opener, The Crystal Empire, will indeed air this upcoming Saturday, the 10th, at 10am EST.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Bumping for the premiere today. Anyone watch it, or play the official iPhone game?

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Good episode, though a bit weirdly balanced. But given that there's a suggestion that Twilight's going to reach the avatar state by the end of this season between this episode and the commercial teasers...

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I mostly liked it, but one big issue was Sombra, by far the weakest of the two-parter villains, and I leave out "so far" as it's hard to imagine what could be worse. No backstory, no personality, and even hardly any lines, and he only shows up long enough to get defeated. I felt nothing for him the whole time like I did for Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Chrysalis.

Did anyone else think during the ending "Oh crap, Commander Shepard chose synthesis. They're all just mindless cyborgs now."

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Amazing! Nopony should ever take Spike for granted anymore. He saved all of Equestria!

Overall, a good two-parter. I loved Rarity getting all excited about the crystals, the Crystal Ponies being scared of Rainbow Dash (kinda' can't blame them...she is pretty abrasive), having Applejack, the Element of Honesty of all ponies trying to keep the fake Crystal Heart a secret, all of Pinkie's antics, Fluttershy dueling Rainbow, and of course, seeing all of Twilight's cool new spells. I agree that King Sombra was totally uninteresting, though, especially compared to Discord last season. So, I guess all Crystal Ponies are Earth Ponies? Makes it even more disturbing that a unicorn (Sombra) took advantage of them by using his magic. He could have been interesting, I think, so I wish they had spent more time developing his character. Oh well.

It was nice to see Shining Armour and Candace again too. Hopefully this won't be their last appearance.

Also, did anyone else think Luna seems a little jealous of Twilight?

Edited by IBM62, Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:41 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Discord >>>> Nightmare Moon >> Queen Chrysalis >>FFx10>>>>>> King Sombra. Pfft--seriously, the creature that managed to curse a Canterlot-sized city for a thousand years didn't even get in a witty one-liner before he got taken out? You disappoint me, show.

That aside, honestly, I thought it was an okay season opener...perhaps more so for the little things; Shining Armor's Wrath of Khan headgear and Fastball Special, the flugelhorn running gag and most things Crystal Fair, Spike being an active participant in saving the day, etc. And Twilight's leadership test apparently being part of...going off that parting shot of Celestia and Luna, I guess we could call it the Black Book Trials?...is/was an interesting plot hook, though I'm definitely puzzled about where they could be going with it.

...did anyone else think Luna seems a little jealous of Twilight?

I'm not sure, even now. It could have been jealousy, or it could have been her having a Yoda moment over not thinking Twilight was ready...

Neurotic Kitten

Neurotic Kitten

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

That was a cute episode, I agree that Sombra is probably the weakest villain so far, but I guess they wanted to focus more on the mane cast this time around, also it was nice seeing Shining Armour and Cadence again, and holy crap Spike was singing! And he helped save Equestria! Honestly, this was one of the cutest interactions he and Twilight have had so far.

I also don't know what to make of Luna's attitude, but that little book she and Celestia had at the ending seems to imply we're getting some sort of continuing plot point thorough the season.

I was checking the episode list and finally there's going to be a Scootaloo centric episode.

threebluestars

threebluestars

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Something definitely feels up with Luna, and I agree it'll probably be a plot point through the season.

I DIED laughing at Pinkie's "I want a flugelhorn!" tantrum. Sometimes the most random things she does make me laugh so hard.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

having Applejack, the Element of Honesty of all ponies trying to keep the fake Crystal Heart a secret,

But if you'll notice, not once does she lie during that time. She distracts (cider!, jousting!) before the fake is revealed, and she stalls after (it's on the way!), but she doesn't out-and-out lie. Which is good, because the season 2 premier showed us how bad a liar AJ is.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Hm, yeah. I guess you're right now that I think about it. She did manage to get the job done without overtly lying. She still seems like a sort of odd choice for the task, though. Although, I guess it kind of makes sense as Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Rarity were busy entertaining and Fluttershy would have been even worse at distracting the Crystal Ponies than Applejack.

Another small thing I noticed this episode was some nice development for Rainbow Dash. As the adventurer she is, she seemed to really want to accompany Twilight in her search for the real Crystal Heart, but she agreed to step back and let Twilight take the more exciting/glorious role while she devoted herself to doing her best at the Crystal Faire. On the other hand, though, I wish she wasn't so over-the-top abrasive to the Crystal Ponies. She came across as a jerk to them.

Also, anyone else love AJ's Rarity pun? I think Rarijack (?) shippers probably did!

Betelnut

Betelnut

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Although I agree the villian was rather weak, he sort of reminded me of Aku from Samurai Jack so that was interesting.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

As much as I love Pinkie Pie, I thought this episode was slightly annoying. There were some pretty fun parts too, though and I like the idea of the mirror pool. I also thought is was funny that nopony was really surprised to see multiple Pinkies, but moreso annoyed (especially Applejack when the Pinkie Pies ruined her barn).

So, Twilight can reverse the effects of gravity, but turning an apple into an orange is a difficult spell for her?

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I suspect there's going to be a flamewar in the fandom over the morality of Twilight just zapping away the duplicate Pinkies, especially since making them blow up like balloons beforehand was surprisingly nightmarish for a kids' show.

Although seeing one of the Pinkies give herself fingers and another reshape her face into that of an earlier-generation pony was pretty funny. As was the Apple family rounding up the Pinkie herd ("Hyah, you Pinkies!").

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

The ultimate endurance test for a fun-oriented Earth pony: watching actual paint dry. Elegantly simple, IMO, though since we've now seen where the G3 PP face gag actually occurs in-show...it worked better in the rejiggered promo.

What I thought was interesting was that Pinkie wasn't (mostly) shown as actively wanting to prove she was the real Pinkie Pie up until the paint test. She was openly depressed and resigned to her possible fate, which was unexpected--and nobody else in-show really twigged to that, which was a surprise. I wonder if the writers just let that go once the paint test was written.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

She was openly depressed and resigned to her possible fate, which was unexpected--and nobody else in-show really twigged to that, which was a surprise. I wonder if the writers just let that go once the paint test was written.

I think the other characters were too overwhelmed with Pinkie Pie to really notice anything. Good evidence of this would be the way that Rainbow Dash brought in the depressed Pinkie, explained where she found her, and then just dropped her on the floor like a sack of potatoes. Heh.

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

This was probably one of the better Pinkie episodes, if anything that it showed that she's more than just "fun". (the other being Baby Cakes, but that has a very much YMMV aspect to it). The previous Pinkie-centric episodes - Party of One, A Friend in Deed, and arguably Feeling Pinkie Keen and MMMystery - all given her a one-dimensions outlook on life - either she's having fun or not having fun regardless of what others are doing, but here's they give her a necessary trait of realization that what she does affects others.

A few spotty points, but generally strong all over. I'm more curious if they're hint dropping towards a larger S3 theme (between the notebook at the end of last episode, and the hidden book this episode) involving TWilight Sparkle, ala a sort of Doctor Who "Bad Wolf" thing.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I really liked this one! Definitely my favorite episode of S3 so far. I liked Babs Seed's accent and design and could tell right away she was really embarressed about her lack of a cutie mark. To me, she looked/sounded a bit older than the CMC, so it makes sense she is even more ashamed. No, it didn't justify her being a bully to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but it did seem like a realistic thing to happen. Glad that the CMC didn't stoop down to her level after they found out about her being a bully target back home.

Other highlights were Scootaloo painting on a cutie mark, Sweetie Belle's "why is life so ironic?" and of course, that song. Was surprised that Twilight Sparkle was shown, but didn't have any lines. She usually comes into play in the CMC episodes.

threebluestars

threebluestars

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

"WHY IS LIFE SO IRONIC?!" - killed me ded