S8 Winner - Melanie Moore: The Art of Dance

• Please log in to reply

144 replies to this topic

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

This is an audience-taped video of Melanie's new solo, at Jump convention in November:

Turning Page

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Travis' dance troupe, "Shaping Sounds" will be appearing on this week's results night of DWTS. From Melanie's tweets, it seems she will be included in this routine, so her fans might want to watch for that. I know Twitch and Nick Lazarinni appeared with Travis on DWTS earlier this season, though I missed the airing of that. I believe I saw that piece on YouTube somewhere.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I'm never sure where to put links that refer to multiple dancers, but I'll start here. On May 26 Melanie, Tadd, and Chelsie Hightower performed in a mash-up of SYTYCD, DWTS (Louis and Anna), and American Idol (Melinda Doolittle? Ricky Smith?) at the Biltmore in Arizona. Going by the photo gallery, Melanie and Tadd danced a piece together and Melanie did a solo. Chelsie and Louis danced together.

Night Under the Stars photo album

Edited by LostLostLost, Jun 3, 2012 @ 10:04 AM.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

(1) What's with all the Melanie hate around here? I think she's one of my favorite dancers ever on this show, and I know I'm not the only one--my cubicle neighbor loves her, too, even though he has a huge crush on Sasha.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't hate Melanie. I actually liked her as a person and contemporary dancer.  I was annoyed with the constant praise of her by the judges, Travis and every guest judge who seemed to have been prepped by Nigel before hand. She wasn't versatile in the least when she danced outside her style the few times that she did. That Hip Hop was some of the most embarrassing crap I've ever seen and Lil C' had the nerve to praise her and tell her she was "buck" for that. I could take anyone else, but Lil C? It was just obvious to me from that moment that they wanted Melanie to win. It didn't help that Travis was campaigning for her on his Twitter and telling her she was his favorite while sitting as a judge. That season just left a bad taste in my mouth for the machinations that this show pulls behind the scenes to manipulate a win. Now, I do think Melanie was an excellent contemporary dancer, but that Statute dance will forever be one of the most over-praised in the shows history for me.

I think Melanie is astonishing and I don't resent her at all for her win. Her audition is one of my favorites EVER, and the Statue dance is one of two dances ever on this show to make me tear up (the other being Lacey/Kameron/Mia Michaels).

I honestly think that all of the judges who praised Melanie were being 100% genuine. So much that they even went overboard (Travis tweeting). I think that she just has that effect on people. I also completely bought the competition between Sasha and Melanie in Season 8. I never thought that Melanie was a lock for the win.

I think Melanie's win is even more amazing when I compare her to the other dancers in her style. Melanie doesn't have the typical dancer body or any hair whatsoever for hairography. I think her quality of movement is among the best the show has ever seen or will ever see. Also, even though she had a TRAGIC DANCE STORY with her father dying, I appreciated that they only mentioned it twice: before her audition and before her finale solo.

That said, it's a shame that she was barely allowed to venture outside of contemporary/jazz/broadway. She did, what, a Tango, a Viennese Waltz, that stupid Hip-Hop, and a disco? I honestly think she could have beefed anything and still ran away with the vote. She's just that magnetic.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

Melanie's win pretty much ruined season 8 for me. She was definitely a brilliant contemporary dancer, but out of the top 6, she was the one who had the most dances within her wheelhouse, and the one who performed the worst when she had to do something else. I think 13 out of her 15 dances (including a lyrical hip hop and a very contemporary-ish viennese waltz) didn't really challenge her at all, and both her tango and the one hip hop that was actually a hip hop were absolutely atrocious.

Sasha had more training in hip hop, so it wasn't much of a surprise that she was able to handle it, and they were both bad at ballroom. Caitlynn was crushing both hip hop and ballroom towards the end, and she rarely got to dance within her own style. I get that it's "America's Favorite Dancer", and not "America's Most Versatile Dancer", but it seriously bored me to watch Melanie get to do her thing over and over again while other dancers struggled to deal with dance styles that were new to them.

Of course, this isn't her fault. In fact, the worst part about her win was how it was telegraphed ever since the beginning of the live rounds by both the production and the judges. She was always meant to win, and they made damn sure everyone knew it. The favoritism disgusted me to the point where I'm just going to skip her dances if I ever decide to watch season 8 again.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

I think Melanie is astonishing and I don't resent her at all for her win. Her audition is one of my favorites EVER, and the Statue dance is one of two dances ever on this show to make me tear up (the other being Lacey/Kameron/Mia Michaels).

I've never resented her win. I just wasn't as captivated by her as a lot of people apparently were. That Statue dance did absolutely nothing for me. It felt like a contrived piece to me. The dancing was beautiful, but the piece all together was just an obvious ploy (in my eyes) by Travis and the show to try and garner an Emmy. Oddly enough; it wasn't even nominated.  As I mentioned in the performance thread I think Melanie is a great contemporary dancer and I agree her quality of movement in that dance style is beautiful. I was just never drawn to her. I understood why she won and I don't begrudge her that. I just resent having to hear from the judges every damn week how someone is the best. It demeans the other dancers to me by calling someone your obvious favorite and I do think think this has an effect on voting and how a dancer is received. I don't think anything is ever 100% genuine on this show or any other reality show.

I never thought that Melanie was a lock for the win.

That said, it's a shame that she was barely allowed to venture outside of contemporary/jazz/broadway. She did, what, a Tango, a Viennese Waltz, that stupid Hip-Hop, and a disco? I honestly think she could have beefed anything and still ran away with the vote. She's just that magnetic.

See, I knew she had it in the bag from day one. There was never a doubt in my mind that she was winning. I pretty much feel the same way concerning Amy this season. That VW was far from a VW. It was a contemporary piece that masked as one. Of course it was praised and Nigel never called out the lack of VW content. it's even more funny since he called out Dmitry's choreography last night for that very thing.

I hope I'm not coming off as a Melanie hater because I'm not. She just isn't my cup of tea and I was never really moved by her dances. Of course MMV on that because she moved enough people to trounce the competition and win. I've voiced before that I like my contemporary dancers with a little more grit.

extramile

extramile

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

I was annoyed with the constant praise of her by the judges, Travis and every guest judge who seemed to have been prepped by Nigel before hand.

Or maybe the judges just recognize a special quality in her dancing?  I think she is exquisite in Contemporary, not only because she has the technique to perform the steps, but all the nuances and fine finishes to her movement.  She takes the time and breathes in them.  I think Amy and Mackenzie this season have that quality too.

I think that quality actually impedes her in some other styles of dancing.  But my interest in sytycd has never been about dancers who are average/good at everything, I want to see dancers who are amazing at what they do and at least passable in other genres.  The judges over praising and easy on criticism is nothing new, even regular toe pointing got praised back in S2.  Haha.  And I don't really care if judges have their subjective favorites, I certainly do.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

And I don't really care if judges have their subjective favorites, I certainly do.

As a viewer i expect you to have your favorites. I do as well. As a judge and producer I expect for them to at least appear impartial. It's human nature that they will have their favorites. I just expect a little more professionalism out of the puppet masters. Although, that is naive belief on my part and I recognize that.

Or maybe the judges just recognize a special quality in her dancing?

That's a definite possibility because she is a beautiful dancer. My spidey senses just think otherwise.

I think Amy and Mackenzie this season have that quality too.

I can agree on Amy, but I haven't seen anything from Makenzie yet that has made me stand up and take notice of her. They jury is still out on her for me.

Edited by Thirteenthjuror, Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:49 PM.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

And I don't really care if judges have their subjective favorites, I certainly do.

If the judges and producers didn't have any power over the competition, I'd be fine with them openly playing favorites. But clearly, they do, since they run the entire show, which makes it entirely possible for them to push Melanie towards the win while throwing other dancers under the bus - which they did. Over, and over, and over again.

Of course, this happens in all reality competitions, and it always has. But So You Think You Can Dance is probably one of the worst offenders, and I think season 8 is the most obvious example. They may as well have named the season "Melanie's long, drawn-out coronation". No matter how good you are, that sort of treatment is just not fair to anyone, especially when they went out of their way to destroy the chances of the other dancers.

extramile

extramile

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

As a judge and producer I expect for them to at least appear impartial. It's human nature that they will have their favorites. I just expect a little more professionalism out of the puppet masters.

Sounds reasonable, but the issue though is a show like this is about personality, performance, and technique.  Personality and performance are quite subjective, and while I'd LOVE the judges to be more frank and insightful with their praise/criticism on technique, especially the difference between good and great, the reality is the general public may not care.

I feel the "puppet masters" are interested in making an entertaining tv show, not in helping or pushing down specific dancers.

eta:  With shows like idol I can see an incentive to push certain singers because the show has deals with record labels and there are potential contracts/money involved. 

Edited by extramile, Jul 3, 2013 @ 1:20 PM.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

My perception of the competition in Season 8 wasn't that Melanie was being handed a victory. Once it hit Top 10 with the All-Stars, I thought she might get eliminated. In the Top 10 episode, she got a Viennese Waltz that, while not difficult, wasn't memorable in the slightest. Sasha got Misty Blue, Caitlynn nailed the Argentine Tango, Jordan got DWIGHT/DESMOND/BRANDON, and Clarice got the pimp-slot and a standing ovation. I felt much more judge manipulation when it came to Jordan. It really felt like they didn't want to let her go.

Melanie came back in the Top 8 episode with the Neil/Mandy piece, but during Top 6 week I thought she might get eliminated again. Sasha had the piece with Kent/Tyce, and Caitlynn was absolutely KILLING it with a jazz and that samba (I think Caitlynn is the best contemporary dancer to ever dance ballroom). Caitlynn got the pimp-slot in her genre while Melanie went first and was out of hers. 

Even in the finale, I thought Sasha might take it. The fact that Melanie managed to get through every week and win by the largest margin of votes in the history of the show confirms in my book that the judges aren't to blame for the result. Maybe judge manipulation changed the outcome of Season 3, but I think that in Season 8 the judges were riding the popular opinion rather than guiding it.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

I never thought Melanie would be eliminated, her TCO-ness was obvious to me.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 3:53 AM

Even in the finale, I thought Sasha might take it. The fact that Melanie managed to get through every week and win by the largest margin of votes in the history of the show confirms in my book that the judges aren't to blame for the result. Maybe judge manipulation changed the outcome of Season 3, but I think that in Season 8 the judges were riding the popular opinion rather than guiding it.

I feel like it became a self fulfilling prophecy. She did have one of the best audition piece ever and as a result I'm guessing her popularity out of the gate was sky high. I mean, if you see a couple and then a contestant getting the majority of the votes BY FAR you can either try to pimp someone else or on the other hand ride the train by never challenging her and over praising her, resulting in the public believing she's the best and more votes going her way. The fact that the large majority of the votes were for Sasha and her, two women, was also significant in the judges riding that train since over on Idol Nigel had tons of trouble with once again a male dominated season.

I don't begrudge her her win, I just feel she was really handed that win and didn't have to fight for it at all. But that's not her fault.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Totally overrated. Clunky. Her original dances were her running, squatting, stomping, squatting more. A toddler doing a surreptitious dump in his diaper has better choreography. And above this, arrogant. She practically smirked, "I know" when those judges would shower her with their overpraise. When she was an all-star last year, she'd stand around while the contestant got critiqued in hopes of yet more praise.

Thank goodness she's not an all-star this year.

Edited by mumbles, Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:10 PM.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Yes, mumbles, I'd have to mostly agree.  She is, without a doubt, my least favourite winner after Nick Lazzarini.  I could not understand the fuss.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

Pacific Rim Video Press interveiw > Melanie on the Final 4 process

I really like the straight hair on her.  She explains what the dancers will be going through.  They start practicing immediately and work from 6 AM to 10 or 11 PM for the Finale. She addresses having to learn to NOT check out the social media because if there are haters it can really pull your focus. I thought this was a really good interview.

ETA: Those 2 white patches on her shoulder blades... what do you think they are? I thought she might be nursing sore muscles? I really don't think it's a fashion statement. 

Edited by anothermi, Aug 28, 2013 @ 6:46 PM.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

She does look a lot better with straight hair. The season she won, you could practically see her scalp.

And she's lost weight. Compare her now to when she won: http://www.film.com/...u_can_dance.jpg

What was up with her comment in the interview that she'd open her eyes wide when she smiled "so I don't look Asian"? Certainly could have been phrased better.

redrover1980

redrover1980

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Wow, she looks like Keri Russell in that clip, and very, very pretty.

Those 2 white patches on her shoulder blades... what do you think they are? I thought she might be nursing sore muscles? I really don't think it's a fashion statement.

She did take a tumble in her routine with Aaron and she landed flat on her back so I wouldn't be surprised if that resulted in some injury to her shoulderblades and the lower back of her neck.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

Oh. Snap.  I totally forgot about that fall and that's a hard thing to do because it's been mentioned so much. ;-D

redrover1980

redrover1980

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

Oooh, that fall made me cringe, it looked painful. She landed right on her back, full impact, and it's rather dangerous because that involves spine, neck, and possibly maybe even the back of her head. I don't remember if she hit the back of her head too and I don't really want to go back and rewatch it to see because yikes*wince*. All my respect to her for bouncing back up right away and then later claiming that it didn't hurt. A fall right onto your back like that can be pretty scary and can really stun and shake you up.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

Annnnnd, speaking of that fall and those white patches....  She talks about it with TJ in > This Dance Plug Interview

They are heat patches.  She's got a flight tonight and has to dance tomorrow, so wanted to prevent her muscles tensing during the flight. 

redrover1980

redrover1980

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

Oh, thank goodness, lol!

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

Oh whatever. Professional athletes fly all the time for games and don't walk around with heat patches. This broad needs to get over herself.

Haven't seen the last interview, I wonder if she says anything racist in that one like her Asian eyes comment.

soulkissage

soulkissage

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

Thanks for posting the interviews :) I didn't see hers yet.

And Mumbles Melanie was wearing the heat patches because the drop and she was trying to keep herself healthy. She hit the stage hard and then had to fly to NYC in a few hours. Prevention and maintenance are keys to a long career.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

The idea that Melanie has a long career is laughable. Who wants to see her stomp-squat-and-fart style of dancing, especially when she gets older and fat(again) ? Her future involves moving back to Marietta with her racist opinions and teaching the little girls how to twirl around.