Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

Jazz

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 6:24 AM

Video > (GMMR) Meet The Top 20: Marco Germar

ETA: Video > (Danceplug) At The SYTYCD S8 Photoshoot: Marko Germar

Edited by ByTheWay, Jun 10, 2011 @ 7:47 PM.

amarettolime25

amarettolime25

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 5:13 AM

He's been on my radar since his audition piece. A little shaky at points during tonight's dance, but his chemistry with Melanie is great. My favorite boy and my favorite girl together. Perhaps they will be my new Katee and Joshua, depending on how they perform outside of their wheelhouse.

Anisel

Anisel

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 6:42 AM

I love him. He really caught my eye during the top 10 guys group routines and I freaking love that he's from Guam.

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

Maybe it's a little premature to be saying this but Marko is quickly becoming one of my favourite male dancers in a while. He and Melanie have one of the only believable connections between partners this season, he has a wonderful personality and I think he is a strong, controlled, elegant dancer. He's i my personal Top 4 for sure.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

He's one of my favorites as well. And he reads romance novels! How randomly, oddly cute.

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 3:27 AM

He reminds me of Harry Shum Jr sometimes. I love him. He's been on my radar since that candid shot of his worried puppy dog face in the opening of Meet the Top 20.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

He reminds me of Harry Shum Jr sometimes.

Ahhh. Thanks. That's who he's reminded me of. It's been bugging me.
I like him, but when he talks I feel an itch in my throat. Hee.

angelina0722

angelina0722

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 7:09 AM

Perhaps it's premature to say, but Marko & Melanie have quickly become one of my all-time favorite SYTYCD couples.

According to this article, Guam residents can't vote?! How awful if so.

Some videos from a production Marko did in Vegas earlier this year.

His mom's a ballroom dancer and he's trained in hip-hop; can't wait to see him do both (something harder-hitting than the Nappytabs routine he just got, which I did enjoy very much too).

WelcomeStranger

WelcomeStranger

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

I haven't looked forward to a couple this much since Will and Jessica S4. At first it was all about Melanie and her otherworldly beauty and technique, and Marko was just another contemporary guy who happened to have a made-for-TV tragic backstory.

But then Marko began to sell me with his maturity and subltety of motion and emotion. I was blown away by his face at the beginning of the NappyTabbs number. He looked as if he'd been crying for hours. How the hell he pulled that off (was makeup involved?) I may never know. But I thoroughly believed his character as a jilted groom.

(Melanie's costume on the other hand--what the honk? So Marko was a jilted groom, and his longtime platonic female friend was working at his wedding as a Can-Can girl, or peanut and Cracker Jack seller?)

Edited by WelcomeStranger, Jul 3, 2011 @ 12:55 PM.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

(Melanie's costume on the other hand--what the honk? So Marko was a jilted groom, and his longtime platonic female friend was working at his wedding as a Can-Can girl, or peanut and Cracker Jack seller?)

Melanie was against the wedding from the start...the outfit was how she chose to protest the union without hurting Marko's feelings outright.

angelina0722

angelina0722

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 5:25 AM

But then Marko began to sell me with his maturity and subltety of motion and emotion.

So agree.

Love the partnering work in this piece.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 1:08 AM

Wow, thank you so much for sharing that, angelina0722. That's one of the most best uses of film I've seen to show dance. It kind of makes me appreciate SYTYCD as a mere gateway for the incredible long-form artistry that is out there, and without this reality show and its commercialized 90-second performances, I probably would never be exposed to something like THAT.

One thing all the dancers in that video have, including Marko, is the ability to convey performance and emotion in addition to technique, and that's one thing that really distinguishes those who go far on this show. I don't think anyone (or at least me) was expecting that out of Marko but so far he's really demonstrated impressive acting ability. Two totally different but highly emotive characters in Week 1's statues and Week 3's jilted groom, and he knocked both of those out in highly moving ways.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 6:07 AM

He does not a pretty girl make.

Like Melanie, he needs to be challenged more. I find my interest for him waning because I've only ever seen him do one thing. But as long as they're going to keep him shirtless, he can stay.

aps817

aps817

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 9:05 AM

He makes a pretty drag queen.

Tadd would be a much prettier one though. I love pretty asians.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

Not a bad-looking broad...but I need to see this boy do more than read romance novels and dance in his wheelhouse.

Littlelamb86

Littlelamb86

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

Marko was really good in that Bollywood routine. Get it boy!

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 5:09 AM

Marko pulled ahead of the pack for me this week, despite an underwhelming duet. I was just so, so impressed with him in the boys' group number. It wasn't perfect -- I noticed a slight wobble at one point -- but his body language was completely transformed. Off stage and in his duets with Melanie he is pretty much a soft-spoken romantic, so I loved seeing him show this raw, primal side utterly convincingly.

Here's the six-minute piece the SYTYCD routine was based on, and I really wish we could have seen our boys perform the whole thing. Jeremy Hudson originated Marko's "role," and I believe he's a pretty well-regarded dancer (he toured with Gaga alongside Mark Kanemura). Obviously Jeremy is older, but I think Marko will grow in power and technique as he gets older. What Marko has already is an innate performance ability that I really didn't expect from him at the start of this season.

I always appreciate great technique, but what makes me fall in love with my favorites is performance ability. That's why Mark K. and Ellenore are two of my all-time favorites, and if Marko continues to demonstrate versatility of character (as well as, yes, GENRE, Nigel), he could find himself on that list.

Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

I can't say I'm very impressed with Marko. He has charisma, sure, but his technique is not very good. They criticize Alex for his bent legs, but Marko frequently fails to extend his legs fully, too, and he is never called out on it. His balance is also questionable. I think he is entertaining enough, but I don't really understand why the judges are always putting him at the top of the contemporary pack, when Ricky could dance (well-balanced) circles around him.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:47 PM

Partners. Melanie is both a much better dancer than Ryan but also a much better partner. If they'd switched partners I'm sure Ricky would have been seen as the best contemporary male dancer there and Marko would be getting lectured about connecting better with his partner and the audience.

But I like Marko so much as a person that I"m glad he got Melanie as his partner.

bugsmeanie

bugsmeanie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

Initially, my thoughts on Marko echoed the title of this thread: I thought he was little more than a capable partner who would be steady enough to allow Melanie to shine. I'm happy to say that Marko has changed my mind. Aside from in the statue routine, Melanie has NOT "outdanced" Marko. In fact, I believe that Marko was better in their lyrical hip-hop number and the moth dance. Sure, he's a little wobbly at times, but he has undeniable charisma and versatility. Did you see him doing b-boy power moves during the Top 12 group number? Indeed he has shined in every group number he has participated in. He is also strong as hell; Melanie is by no means a big girl, but she has to be the most muscular female contestant, and Marko lifts her with ease (I'd hate to see Jess or Ricky try to do some of those lifts).

I want him to do a real hip-hop dance with Comfort or a contemporary piece with Kathryn.

Edit: I do worry about his solos. I was not impressed with his audition piece.

Edited by bugsmeanie, Jul 17, 2011 @ 1:14 PM.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

That samba, to me, proved that Marko is not going to win this competition. I mean, we all know Melanie will, but now it's like, Marko isn't even close.

However, I must say he has won me over again. Not because of his dancing, but because of his awesome bromance with Tadd. They've tweeted several pictures of the two of them doing random stuff and eating bananas together (mind, meet gutter) and they're just generally adorable. I loved their long hug after Marko was pronounced safe.

They're my OTP of SYTYCD.

ETA: And now, a video of them helping eachother out of their clothes. Marko, I love you now.

Edited by Xazeal, Jul 22, 2011 @ 1:11 AM.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

Yes, I love Marko and Tadd's Pinoy Bromance. It is AMAZING.

I don't know how Melanie and Marko's fanbases stack up respectively, but I don't think it would necessarily be because Marko has proven himself a less versatile dancer. His samba looked much more challenging than Melanie's waltz (the "lyrical hip hop" of ballroom). We still don't know how Melanie would fare in a similarly challenging ballroom, or a hard-hitting hip hop.

And I don't think Marko was terrible in the samba. He wasn't perfect, but it was only his second ballroom on the show. With a more balanced draw, this would have been a performance from the first half of the season, when it's understandable that dancers still have room to grow outside their genres. It's unfortunate that this season's machinations have kept us from seeing a full evolution.

Bottom line: I really like Melanie, and Tadd is hot like fire, but Marko has become my favorite. He seems like such a humble sweetheart on stage when he's not dancing and he is evidently HILARIOUS in his personal life. Those traits wouldn't seem to add up to a powerful performing presence, but that's what he has, for me. Whereas some of this season's best dancers (Jess, and even Melanie, at times) have had trouble emoting properly with each dance, Marko has always been exactly right in all of his performances. That's part of what makes him my favorite.

angelina0722

angelina0722

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2011 @ 6:32 AM

And I don't think Marko was terrible in the samba. He wasn't perfect, but it was only his second ballroom on the show.

Agreed; I thought his samba was actually pretty good, and much better than his tango in any case.

Marko continues to be my favorite as of now. Really impressed with his emoting, and with his reliability and believability as a partner. And what can I say, I have a soft spot for Guam.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 5:14 PM

I thought Marko did quite well with the samba. In fact, it was one of my favorite routines of the night. I thought he definitely held his own with Chelsie, which is not an easy thing to do. I don't think any of the other guys left in the competition except maybe Jess would have done as well dancing with her. A lot of the ballroom girls on this show are just so strong and can easily eat a less capable partner alive in routines like this. I think the girls have it easier dancing with Pasha then the boys do up against the likes of Chelsie and Anya or possibly Lacey and Jeanette(if they come back).

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 6:56 AM

Marko may be the favorite of a few judges, but they're doing him no favors. Not only is there some obvious favoritism going on (Not as much as for Melanie, though) but it was impossible not to compare his routines this week to Hallelujah and Outta Yo Mind. And as amazing as Marko is, he ain't no Alex Wong.

I think he was way outshined by Jess and Tadd last night, so part of me really thinks he shouldn't make the finals. However, the thought of seeing him dance with Tadd is.. something to think about, for sure.

Edited by Xazeal, Jul 28, 2011 @ 7:00 AM.

angelina0722

angelina0722

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 4:40 AM

Marko & Melanie were beautiful on Regis & Kelly today. Cute interview in their "Turn to Stone" costumes, too.

ronmynee

ronmynee

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

Marko is an amazingly talented dancer. I can't wait to see him on tour. Here's a video of him dancing hip hop around two years ago. Found on his Youtube account.

http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Marko & Melanie were beautiful on Regis & Kelly today. Cute interview in their "Turn to Stone" costumes, too.

I'm posting the performance here - I don't know if it has been posted elsewhere, but I though Marko/Melanie fans might like to view it here.
[*quiet voice*] I was one who never really got what was so spectacular about the statue dance during the show.
BUT, I like this version far better than both the ones I saw on the show. Go figure. Maybe it was because the camera was static and showed all of the dance - feet and everything! Imagine! What a concept.
"Turn to Stone" Performance on Regis & Kelly
The interview is next up when this clip finishes, so you can see it too.

AddictedToTV

AddictedToTV

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I loved their interview on Regis and Kelly, but I was definitely not a fan of their performance of Turn to Stone. Because the stage was so small on that set, none of the movements in the last half of the dance had any power whatsoever. You can definitely tell that both of them had to hold back a lot and think, "Okay...don't hit each other here, be careful, the edge of the stage is right here..." Especially on the lifts - Marko could only move here a step or two before having to put her down simply because there wasn't any room.