Don't Trust the B---- in Apt 23

• Please log in to reply

1009 replies to this topic

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

Then again, JVdB didn't seem like he was freaking out about the hundred grand he lent Chloe to buy the pills, and June apparently made at least some of her money back with the furniture sale. Finances may be a source of contention, but I don't get the impression they'll be constantly on the verge of homelessness like the women on the vastly inferior Two Broke Girls.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

I don't quite know why this struck me as hysterical, but I had rewind the guy running through the office with flaming file folders so I could watch it again and again. Just something small and silly, but it made me giggle every time.

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

To be honest, Max and Caroline on 2BG say they are broke, but don't act like they are broke or really seems to live like they are broke. They seem to have very little self awareness of money on the level of say Shameless or even Community which had Annie actually living like someone with no money. So I don't exactly expect the women on this show to be serious about money problems. They may pay lip service to it, but it won't affect their lifestyles the way it would in reality, no more than it affects the women on 2BG.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I loved the part where she had all her worldly goods piled up around her at the coffee shop and the guy says "Excuse me, you can't live here" and she snaps "I ordered a small coffee! They said I could sit here if I ordered a small coffee!"

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I really enjoyed the second episode.
Spoiler

Oh and Michael Landes played Jimmy Olsen in Lois & Clark - now there's a mind fuck! He grew up nicely.

Edited by tommie, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

I loved the part where she had all her worldly goods piled up around her at the coffee shop and the guy says "Excuse me, you can't live here" and she snaps "I ordered a small coffee! They said I could sit here if I ordered a small coffee!"

I loved that, too. Her delivery was great.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Fairly funny. For some reason, her coffee boss reminds me of Andy Samberg.

mrhooks

mrhooks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

JVdB didn't seem like he was freaking out about the hundred grand he lent Chloe to buy the pills

It was one thousand.

So far, I'm liking this show. KR plays a really good bitch, and LL is brilliant as the crazy obsessed neighbor. I really like DW too. Even Dawson is pretty good so far.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

I just watched ep 2 on Hulu. It was great.

A couple of general things: I love the theme song "singing." I don't know what you call it, but it's so perky, quirky, and perfect for this show.

Also, is Chloe's necklace a little pair of handcuffs? I think so, and that's perfect too.

I just want to once more praise Krysten Ritter. I'm kind of mesmerized by her. Something about her facial expressions remind me of a classic comedienne, like Lucille Ball or, even further back, a 1930s screwball comedy actress.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

It was one thousand.

Ah, I misheard then. Makes much more sense that he'd be cool about that amount; even with Dawson money 6 figures shouldn't be pocket change.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I just want to once more praise Krysten Ritter. I'm kind of mesmerized by her. Something about her facial expressions remind me of a classic comedienne, like Lucille Ball or, even further back, a 1930s screwball comedy actress.

Thank you. I was trying to think of what her style reminded me of, and that's really accurate. I can totally see her in one of those.

I've only watched the pilot so far and enjoyed it. Great pacing and enjoyed the supporting characters and all the strange qualities they were given. The neighbor was hilarious.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I wasn't impressed by the show at all, other than James Van Der Beek -- I love how he seems to have a sense of humor and isn't afraid to mock himself. Otherwise, the actors didn't do anything for me. I did like how June had a streak of nastiness in her to sell Chloe's furniture to get some of her money back (but then she fell for Chloe's sob story about grandma's ottoman), and I liked the investment bank-cum-barista co-worker; hopefully we'll see more of him. I'll probably watch it again to see if it improves, but I don't think the two girls have the same chemistry as Max and Caroline on "2 Broke Girls."

Something about [Krysten Ritter's] facial expressions remind me of a classic comedienne, like Lucille Ball or, even further back, a 1930s screwball comedy actress.

I couldn't stop thinking of some of the unfunny comics Chelsea Handler has on her show (Whitney Cummings, maybe? -- which is funny, because she's one of the producers behind "2 Broke Girls," but as an actress herself, she's horrible).

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

I generally found it too rushed, particularly June's swing from innocent midwestern hick to being nearly on par with Chloe, and then back again when she bought Chloe's ottoman story without a hint of skepticism.

My own rule of thumb is that sitcom pilots have too much to do and it's more representative to judge a sitcom on its first couple of post-pilot eps, so I'll watch once or twice again.

but I don't think the two girls have the same chemistry as Max and Caroline on "2 Broke Girls."

Yeah, I don't think they do either, but 2BG fails at everything else (joke writing, understanding of what it's like to be broke, understanding of what it's like to be Caroline or Max, understanding of what it's like to be non-white, and joke writing again), so this show already has a better chance of being creatively successful. Probably not commercially more successful than 2BG, which somehow is a success for CBS, but sigh.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

I'm not sure that I'm watching this in the correct order, but Michael Landes!!! I've loved him for so long.

Anyway. I'm really liking this so far. None of the comedy pilots this year have made me really want to tune in again. I'm sticking with this one.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Is it just me or does Dreama Walker look like a younger Cheryl Hines?

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I'm starting to see where Chloe gets it from.

GaryV

GaryV

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

Moon Vest from 30 Rock! I love this show already. Krysten Ritter has been killing it from the start - whatever happens to this show, I think there are big things down the road for her - and Dreama Walker is growing on me. In a sense, she has a harder role playing the 'straight man'.

Awesome that Scott's favorite movie is Bowfinger, and that neither girl has even heard of it.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Is it just me or does Dreama Walker look like a younger Cheryl Hines?

Haha yes! I knew she reminded me of someone, I just couldn't think of who.

This show is hilarious. All the wacky stuff tonight just killed me. I loved when Chloe pushed her dad into the street, and how her and her dad kept going on about how the mom didn't like bike riding or ice skating. Just awesome.

Also Dawson continues to crack me up.

Isazouzi

Isazouzi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:13 AM

Wow, Jimmy Olsen got hot!!!! Ok, once we learn he's the dad, it's actually creepy but I hope we'll see him again.

Dawson is hilarious. Loved the girl in the coffee shop yelling "You're everywhere and nowhere Dawson!"

I wasn't sure about the pilot, but I blame TWOP for ruining all the best lines (and me for reading the article before watching). That 2nd episode was great, I'm in. A lot of good lines. "I'm a river in winter".

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

I missed the first episode (forgot to set the DVR *pout*), but caught this one. Thank Heavens for the little run down at the beginning or I would have been totally lost. I am going to hunt down the premier episode before next week.

This show definitely has potential. I love that Dawson is actually playing himself and is poking fun at the fact that fans DO get rabid about favorite characters. I didn't find the Chloe/dad going on about the handicapped mom not doing stuff very funny, but the rest of the show was hysterical.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

"Redheads? Girls?".....lady cave!

I laughed out loud the entire episode. It is just spot on start to finish and fearless in its humor. And I thought the humor about the mother had to do with how self absorbed father and daughter were, not disparaging in any way about being in a wheelchair. Van Der Beek (sp? never saw the show) is priceless in a shoot-the-moon sort of way; this could have been awful but instead is glorious.

Secondary characters are equally funny....stalker neighbor, guy in window, coffee shop co-worker.

Edited by Quickbeam, Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:47 AM.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

This show is a pleasant surprise and after two episodes I'm ready to declare myself a fan. I love the upbeat but off-the-wall humor, like the friendly pervert next door that Chloe seems to find to be a perfectly normal part of New York life, the crazy Dawson's Creek fans, June's would-have-been-boss on Wall Street working with her at the coffee shop ("I made $4 today!"), and the mom who didn't take her daughter skating who turns out to be in a wheelchair. Unlike 2 Broke Girls, DTTBIA23 doesn't rely almost entirely on sex jokes, and when they do show up they're clever rather than crude. I hope this one lasts a while.

AzraelKay

AzraelKay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

I really liked last night's episode, but Michael Landes as Chloe's father just blows my mind -- how hold is Chloe supposed to be? Michael Landes is only 40, and even if he was a young father, it just doesn't seem possible...

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

I really liked last night's episode, but Michael Landes as Chloe's father just blows my mind -- how hold is Chloe supposed to be? Michael Landes is only 40, and even if he was a young father, it just doesn't seem possible...

At first, I was positive it was going to come out that Chloe was lying about him being her Dad precisely because he's so young - I bet he's not even 10 years older than Kristin Ritter.

I may be a bad person, but I laughed so hard at Chloe's mom popping out from around the corner in a wheelchair that I missed the next few lines of dialogue. And when Chloe just nonchalantly shoved her Dad into the street.

James Van Der Beek being so excited that his look was "Indiana Jones when he's a professor" cracked me up. You can tell he's really enjoying this role.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I read somewhere that this show doesn't have a laugh track. I didn't notice it (or the lack of it) myself, but if that's true I think it's a pretty gutsy move.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

"Not counting one night stands? Blackout sex? Redheads? Girls?" I love that redheads are their own exemption class.

And of course the speech from Hamlet that The Beek knows is "Doubt that the stars are fire." Nice touch.

I also loved Chloe's attempt at recycling Dawson's big romantic monologue: "Dammit!"

Edited by Sandman, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:43 AM.

FreeperDave

FreeperDave

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Two words: "Goodnight, Dad."

I like it. I hope they can keep it interesting and fast-paced. Best new sitcom I've seen in a while.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

"Not counting one night stands? Blackout sex? Redheads? Girls?" I love that redheads are their own exemption class.

I loved that too. Also the line by Chloe that was something about "rubbing bottom beards" had me howling.

June's discomfort at being dragged into Chloe's family squabble and her position of involvement in the squabble was just perfect. I'd seen it in the promos but I still laughed that June's immediate reaction to finding out Scott was Chloe's dad was to take the World's Longest Shower and SCRUB.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

I read somewhere that this show doesn't have a laugh track. I didn't notice it (or the lack of it) myself, but if that's true I think it's a pretty gutsy move.

I don't think any of ABC's wendesday night comedies (or Cougar Town) have laugh tracks.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

I didn't find the Chloe/dad going on about the handicapped mom not doing stuff very funny, but the rest of the show was hysterical.

That's pretty much my feeling about it as well. I use a wheelchair and while I wasn't grossly offended by it, I do kind of hate it when the assumption is made (on tv or in life) that people who use chairs are incapable of being active, & in this case, of being good parents. Wouldn't be so bad if they showed more of the other side of the story as well- that many people who have disabilities ARE quite active and capable. But they tend to gravitate towards these "elephant on the room" type storylines where the other characters whisper about the person behind their back as if they're an alien specimen. But that being said, what we saw last night was far from the worst I've seen, so I'll give them a pass. Especially if they keep the Dawson references going!