Don't Trust the B---- in Apt 23

• Please log in to reply

1009 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Just to clarify, the show hasn't actually premiered on TV yet, has it?

I was watching the pilot at the ABC site, then I was having audio problems and stopped watching, but I liked what I saw. I only know Ritter from Breaking Bad, so this role is quite a change. I think she's great. Physically she's so striking. She has lots of charisma and is a great comedic actor.

I guess I've seen Dreama Walker in a few things, but I mainly know her from The Good Wife, and I hated her -- though really I hated her character. Anyway, here I think she's quite good.

I suppose it's natural to compare this to 2 Broke Girls. I watched the first couple of eps and bailed on it. Yuck. Besides the awful, girls-talk-dirty jokes, I really didn't like Kat Denning even though I'd read praise from critics. Krysten Ritter, on the other hand, is very appealing even though her character is an awful person (at least on the surface, and as much as I got to watch the pilot).

I also like the style of the show. It's a little surrealistic, though not as much as Suburgatory.

I'll have to try Hulu and see if I can watch the pilot and 2nd ep there without audio issues.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

I've watched the first two episodes online (via iTunes in Canada for free) and it was fun. The actress with the black Bettie Page-ish 'do (the "b" in apt. 23) was quite good. Again, much depends on where they go with this series and even though James Van Der Beek is funny playing a fictionalized (one hopes) version of himself (much like Matt LeBlanc does in "Episodes") the "Dawson" angle will certainly wear thin after awhile (not so far, though). I'll certainly keep watching for now.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

I never watched Dawson's Creek, but the references are easy to figure out, I guess. Like, his character wore flannel shirts? And... the only other reference (in the pilot) that I recall is just the song, which I assume was the theme song.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

I liked the second episode as well. The Dawson references kept me giggling. Was that line they constantly used really from season one of Dawson's Creek or did they make it up? I also really enjoyed Michael Landes (I always thought that he was hot), though he is still a bit too young-looking for me to believe him as
Spoiler
. While I don't think that the chemistry of the girls is better than the one of Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs, it's definitely the superior show, it's just amusingly campy and over the top without falling flat. I also really enjoyed how Eli the pervy neighbour analyzed June's behavior and was actually helpful to both girls. ;)

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I absolutely loved the *twist* in the second episode. Honestly did not see it coming. Can't wait for the third episode!

In the fall, DTTBINA23 needs to be paired with Happy Endings.

LtleMsInnocent

LtleMsInnocent

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Was that line they constantly used really from season one of Dawson's Creek or did they make it up?

Yeah, that actually was from a scene from episode 11 of season 1, "Pretty Woman." I recognized it when he said it because I was so in love with that show.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I watched both episodes on Hulu too. I don't hate it, and I'll watch the next few. I can't sympathize with the blonde character though. I like both the other two females though.

I just can't keep comparing the James van der Beek "character" to what Neil Patrick Harris did with his "character" on the Harold and Kumar movies. I like that both can be self deprecating. (I loved James' animated gifs and his ability to make fun of his "crying face.") But James just falls short, because NPH is a much better actor.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

In the fall, DTTBINA23 needs to be paired with Happy Endings.

They are so perfectly paired together, the right humor, with a little sprinkle of emotions. But mainly all about the crazy and slight over the top humor.

The more I rewatch the episodes, the more I dig this show and wish it the best of luck to come back in the fall!!

I also really enjoyed Michael Landes (I always thought that he was hot)

That man is so incredibly hot, dammit, it isn't fair to win the genetic lottery!! I too was quite shocked at the twist,
Spoiler
who is only 9 years younger.

The second episode was hilarious!! I have a second favorite sitcom after Happy Endings now!!

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

snip

Edited by Kitten Poker Cheater, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:55 AM.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

I wasn't going to watch this, but enough good reviews made me record it. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I'll watch a couple more eps before committing to putting on my Season Pass, but it made me laugh. A lot.

moodyblue

moodyblue

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Finished watching the pilot. I thought the funniest moments were with the neighbor in Apt 21. It has potential. It's no Happy Endings, but I'll watch again.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I liked when June and Chloe were in the bar at the end, and Chloe awkwardly patted her on the shoulder.

I liked a lot more about the ep, but I really loved this moment.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

Best sitcom pilot this season, I loved it. ABC has been nailing the sitcoms recently. Also normal it takes a while to warm up to straight characters on sitcoms but I loved June right away.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

I loved it enough to hunt down episode 2 and watch that (and it was even better), plus I finally put Dawson's Creek in my Netflix queue, since it has apparently become like The Godfather or Casablanca in the sense that a million TV dialogue references will baffle anyone who hasn't seen them.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

I've only seen the first episode, but I already love this how. Just hilarious.

I'm not sure how much I like June yet but Chloe and Dawson crack me up. haha wasn't expecting this show to be good.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:52 AM

I thought this was one of the best pilots I've seen in awhile. Kristin Ritter and James Van Der Beek were just hilarious. This definetly gets a season pass from me.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Wow. The Beek has aged well, hasn't he? Best part of the show for sure.

I thought it was entertaining, though not perfect. For some reason, the blonde's would-have-been-former-and-now-current co-worker cracked me up. When he told her to get with the looting mentality, I cracked up.

I hope this shows stays kind of out-there over the top funny. I liked the lady rolling by on the copier and sex on your birthday cake.

But, Ritter felt like she was trying just a bit too hard for me. Dial it down, girl, and we'll all get along just fine.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

I loved the fast-paced hyperocity of it in general, and I don't want her to dial back at all. But then when I try to watch old movies I just want to slap people to make them spit out their line already. I think TV shows and movies have gotten faster-paced in general over the years. (Even so, this will make some of the other sitcoms I watch look like they're taking place under water.)

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

I saw good reviews and tuned in on the strength of them. I liked it; I don't think I loved it, but I laughed quite a lot, and Van Der Beek is clearly having fun playing a mirror universe version of himself. (I have to say I loved his line reading of "Never be a blonde dude in a Vietnamese prison, June.")

I imagine the producers were expecting the character of June to surprise us as being more than the simple midwestern ingenue that she appeared. Having first seen Dreama Walker as the hard-eyed Becca on The Good Wife, I fully expected her June to be capable of nastiness.

I guess I'll see if the dark tone of the pilot can be sustained over the longer term.

Edited by Sandman, Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

If someone had told me ten years ago that the Beek would be the best part of the year's best new network TV sitcom, I'd have assumed they were on drugs. That was hilarious though, I'm in for the season.

roygibv

roygibv

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

When I heard there was a show with Dawson I knew I had to check it out (even though I thought Dawson was mostly insufferable). It was funny and enjoyable. Not necessarily gonna become "must-see" for me, but I'll try to make the first five episodes appointment tv, and then see how I like it after there. Gotta keep my DC alum working! I've read reviews it gets better, and the parts I heard were more flawed (like the neighbours) I found enjoyable. Guess I'll see if I still feel that way next week!

Initially I thought the actress who plays June was gonna be the titular bitch, seeing as I've only seen her in Gossip Girl and The Good Wife as two unlikable characters, and I've only seen Ritter in Veronica Mars. Watching though it seems like both are pretty well suited to their characters.

Edited by roygibv, Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:58 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Decided to check it out after the good reviews and I surprisingly liked it. I haven't seen the actresses in anything before (although Krysten Ritter has apparently been in a ton of TV; just shows I didn't watch), but there were good. Chloe really cracked me up, but I like that June isn't just a typical naive girl and is more then capable of fighting back.

The supporting cast was decent; I've actually seen the actress playing the neighbor (Liza Lapira) in several things like Dexter and Emma Stone's friend in Crazy, Stupid, Love. Liked the guy who was suppose to be June's mentor; hope we see him again.

And, of course, The Beek. Not quite as good as Neil Patrick Harris is in the Harold & Kumar franchise, but he was hilarious as his "mirror" version and he seemed to be having a blast. Love the Vietnam bit (and the pay off), and I really wanted to hear the rest of the story of him "arm-wrestling" Kevin Sorbo.

So, I'll stick with it. Probably go ahead and watch the second episode online tonight.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

That was much better than I expected. I get the comparisons with 2 Broke Girls, but this was so much better. The writing was much sharper, the characterization more subtle, production values were higher -- and it wasn't racist. I'll definitely stick around for this.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I get the comparisons with 2 Broke Girls, but this was so much better. The writing was much sharper, the characterization more subtle, production values were higher -- and it wasn't racist. I'll definitely stick around for this.

Same here. When I heard the summary of Apt 23, I wondered what the difference would be between this show and 2BG. Apt 23 is clearly slicker, glossier and more upscale than 2BG. Chloe and June are the "trustafarians" that Max and Caroline mock - and secretly yearn to be. With apparently no real monetary woes between them, Chloe and June are free to enjoy the lifestyles Max and Caroline only get brief little glimpses of.

hatchetgirl

hatchetgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I think this is a pretty funny show. I love Ritter and Dawson together. So silly and funny. :)

VeryWellDone

VeryWellDone

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

I really like this show. I think the writing is fresh and witty. Honestly, I thought there were many very amusing moments, which is more than I can say for most of the "comedies" that air these days. Chloe is perfect as the bitch. I pray this show stays on the air for a while. This is one of the better pilots I have seen in a really long time, which to me means that the show has a lot of potential.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

I watched the first 2 episodes online and it made me laugh alot, so I'll keep watching it. It may replace my Modern Family love which is waning.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

Seems a bit in the shock and awe category for comedies. Not really liking the characters yet but will give it some time. And like the review said, Dawson is no Doogie. NPH knocks his role out of the park in Harold & Kumar while Dawson seems to fall a bit flat.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

I like it :) It had my attention all the way through and James Van Der Beek is the best part so far. I agree best pilot in a while. I'll be sure to watch more episodes.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

With apparently no real monetary woes between them, Chloe and June are free to enjoy the lifestyles Max and Caroline only get brief little glimpses of.

June's working in a coffee shop, and gave Chloe every penny she had in her bank account for the (fraudulently inflated) first and last months' rent. And Chloe seemed pretty desparate to get those Chinese sex pills back, suggesting she needed the cash they would bring in. I'm guessing a major point of contention between the two of them will be money problems, and how to solve them.