Robb Stark: Like a Boss

• Please log in to reply

235 replies to this topic

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Robb Stark chose to abandon his people and his fiancee to gallivant around the realm with a woman of dubious origins as they search for unchaperoned rooms and milk of the poppy.

LOL! Glad I wasn't drinking when I read that or I'd be cleaning juice off my monitor :)

Add my vote for a thread title change. Something on the order of Robb Stark:King of the North, or Robb Stark:The Young Wolf would be more appropriate.

Edited by Sweeney555, May 15, 2012 @ 6:18 PM.

Sukeyna

Sukeyna

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Robb, Robb, Robb. Step back from that woman!

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Like a boss = badass as fuck, which succinctly defines everything that is Robb Stark. He's got the best thread title of the bunch.

Robb, Robb, Robb. Step back from that woman!

I needed a gif of this moment in my life. Thanks.

Edited by MysticalTime, May 15, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

Dorker

Dorker

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

She has to be, in my opinion no commoner would adress the King in the North quite like Lady Talissa, unless she has birth right.

Reminds me of a doubly relevant quote by Martin:

And then there are some things that are just donít square with history. In some sense Iím trying to respond to that. [For example] the arranged marriage, which you see constantly in the historical fiction and television show, almost always when thereís an arranged marriage, the girl doesnít want it and rejects it and she runs off with the stable boy instead. This never fucking happened. It just didnít. There were thousands, tens of thousand, perhaps hundreds of thousands of arranged marriages in the nobility through the thousand years of Middle Ages and people went through with them. Thatís how you did it. It wasnít questioned. Yeah, occasionally you would want someone else, but you wouldnít run off with the stable boy.

And thatís another of my pet peeves about fantasies. The bad authors adopt the class structures of the Middle Ages; where you had the royalty and then you had the nobility and you had the merchant class and then you have the peasants and so forth. But they donítí seem to realize what it actually meant. They have scenes where the spunky peasant girl tells off the pretty prince. The pretty prince would have raped the spunky peasant girl. He would have put her in the stocks and then had garbage thrown at her. You know.

I mean, the class structures in places like this had teeth. They had consequences. And people were brought up from their childhood to know their place and to know that duties of their class and the privileges of their class. It was always a source of friction when someone got outside of that thing. And I tried to reflect that.

Even if she's just a noble in disguise, she should really learn to pretend better. Arya does. Is it the idea to have some STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER here or something? (as if the show didn't already have those).

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Depending on the country and culture, there was social mobility in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance...even into the 19th-Century. Often it's just not as obvious since the system co-opts the risers into the system. The wealthy, the witty...and the successfully armed-and-dangerous types...married into high-born families, or were elevated by TPTB.

Actually, in real-time European history what was more rare was the family that managed to stay on top-of-their-game and hold power for more than 5 or 6 generations. And most royal families only maintained control for a few centuries at-best. in the last 500 years, the Tudors lasted only 4 generations before the ascent of the Stuarts. The Stuarts only reigned 3 generations before the arrival of the Hanoverians, and they last 4 generations before the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas...now Windsor...dynasty.

illinidiva

illinidiva

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

It's clear that Tailisa is a noble, so that makes her of a similar class to Robb. And it's clear that she's probably on the Lannisters' side so she doesn't consider him a king.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

It's clear that Tailisa is a noble, so that makes her of a similar class to Robb. And it's clear that she's probably on the Lannisters' side so she doesn't consider him a king.

She may be of a similar class, but also maybe not, even if noble.

I think Westeros (or rather, we in trying to interpret Westeros) really suffers from not having clear orders of nobility like Duke and Earl. I mean, the Great Lords, those who are pretty much kings in their own lands but beholden to the Iron Throne (until Robb and Balon seceded) are clearly a step above families like the Freys, who are definitely powerful but not as respected (as Walder Frey's bitching made clear) compared to those Great Lords. HBO lets us know Rhaegar Targaryen was married to Elia Martell of Dorne, the Baratheons planned to marry into the Starks and did do so to the Lannisters, the Starks married into the Tullys who also married into the Arryns, but of course there's no way the Great Lords could always marry only Great Lords, so if Talisa is a noble, as appears likely, it would be handy to know at a glance if her family are way below the top tier or not, but since they are just House so and so, and referred to as Lord so and so, we can't tell if it would be a problem if say, a Tully married somone from House Hornwood.

One thing is for certain, the political implications of marrying Robb would always have been very high, even without the betrothal to one fo Frey's brood - he really should have had it drilled into him from childhood that he owed it to his family to make the best choice for the House and the North. I mean, I don't know if the show has even stated Ned and Cat had even met prior to marrying (the wedding night must have been awkward, especially with a war for Ned to get back to immediately), but they sure as hell got on with it.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Robb suffers from an odd lack of curiosity.

I would think by now he would have asked Talisa how/why she ended-up performing battlefield surgery in the Riverlands. I haven't see any indication that she signed-up for the Westeros Red Cross.

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I suspect that "lack of curiosity" may just be a character-development/scriptwriting-decision not to have Robb as a plot-exposition-monkey. Beside, Tywin and Arya have much better stories to tell us.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Robb Stark: The Big Bad (Young) Wolf

Just wanted to say I would *love* that thread title.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

I would think by now he would have asked Talisa how/why she ended-up performing battlefield surgery in the Riverlands. I haven't see any indication that she signed-up for the Westeros Red Cross.

I guess one of the writers of the show is Jaqen, given the most recent episode. Next you should post about how surprising it is that Joffrey hasn't been throttled to death by another angry mob.

I guess it's odd, but I actually liked the Robb/Talisa scene. For more reasons than the obvious one, that is. However, I don't think Robb would be up for another Snow situation. For one thing, he already knows what that did to his own family. I just can't see him saying, "Okay, I'll get married, but have a little nurse on the side." Then again, I wouldn't have seen Ned as the type either.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Robb suffers from an odd lack of curiosity.

I think at that point Rob could give a crap how he got to be Westeros battle nurse. He already knows all he wants to know. It felt to me he really needed her at that moment.

I wrote this on the episode thread and I guess I'll post it here:

I get the Robb/Talisa thing. He's fighting a war he doesn't want to fight, trying to get men to follow him, still missing his father, his brothers and sisters are all captured, his best friend betrayed him, having to arrest his mother because he went behind his back. I get why Robb did what and why he would be so into Talisa, a foreign highborn lady who now only wants to heal people. I totally get that.

Edited by Limbonaut, May 22, 2012 @ 10:46 AM.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Also, she's hot.

Seriously, I think that's totally right Limbonaut. I know Karstark complained but he's distraught with grief, and simply hooking up with Talisa does not endanger any alliance, nor does him taking the time to flirt occasionally detract from what has been a phenomally successful campaign which has led his men to adore Robb, so at this point it has done no harm, and the guy has been thought so much in such a short time, his peers are all gone, his whole family - thousands of years of history - are relying on him and he is very new and young in the job, while he has been leading from the front.

Talisa's different, interesting (also hot, I think I mentioned that), she's not practically worshiping him and she also doesn't want or need anything from him, a rare thing thesedays.

The key is what happens with them now.

Edited by kieran555, May 22, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

alphavoice

alphavoice

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Talisa's different, interesting (also hot, I think I mentioned that), she's not practically worshiping him and she also doesn't want or need anything from him, a rare thing thesedays.

I genuinely believe Talisa is to Robb what Arya was to Tywin Lannister, plus sexual tension and no age difference. It was bound to happen sonner or later.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I thought Twyin treated Arya like a favoured puppy: fed her leftovers from his dish, gave her instructions and tolerated her verbal puddles on the floor. When he left Harrenhall, he left his puppy behind without a second thought. Robb treats Talisa like a woman to whom he is deeply attracted and one he respects as a medic. I don't think the relationships were at all similiar.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Like a Boss. Hmph. More Like an Idiot.

Robb, Robb, Robb. You stupid fool. I do not understand how a Lord's son (and not just any Lord, but a Great Lord) at a time of war which relied on highly personal alliances for thousands of soldiers, would think 'I love her' is a valid argument to marriage. It sucks, but that is what the situation is. I likened it in another thread to him not playing the game, like Loras Tyrell (who did not look pleased what House Tyrell had to do at present), where if you do not like it you twist the rules and try to work the game to your advantage another way, you don't just tip over the board entirely.

If she were pregnant I might buy it, but he seemed like he was smarter than this.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I guess "Congratulations!" are in order, although I can't help but to agree with his mother. The way I see it, Catlyn's love lasted longer than Littlefinger's, for example, and it was built under entirely different foundations.

I just hope Robb could be happy with this choice.

Edited by agora, Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:32 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Well, that's it. I give up with him. I just mute his scenes and enjoy the pretty.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Frankly, I was somewhat throwback when they said "Father, smith, warrior" on their wedding vows, I kept thinking: What does Gendry have to do with this?

Edited by grimm2, Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:33 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

They didn't say "blacksmith". They said a very clear and distinct "smith" after "father". I heard it like that the 1st time and just went back to listen again and it is definitely just "smith".

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

I'm just glad we finally learnt what the "I'm yours and you're mine/from this day until my last day" buzz is all about: those are the words that bind in holy matrimony according to Westerosi law. Whenever Robb, Tyrion or any other man used them, it was supposed to hint something more permanent.

Edited by agora, Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:25 PM.

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Well, that's it. I give up with him. I just mute his scenes and enjoy the pretty.

Seriously. Breaking a vow and jeopardizing your war effort because of a teenage hissy fit at your mother? Not cool.

I get it to some extent. Robb was trying to be honorable and do the right thing like his father and has watched his world fall apart. People he trusted betrayed him due to their own weaknesses. I can understand him saying "fuck it, I'm having me some pretty foreign lady."

But you're King in the North. It's not just about you--it's about your bannerman, which is something you seemed well aware of at the beginning of the season. They need to know that you won't break your oaths in a fit of pique, foregoing marriage alliances just because you're mad at the person who negotiated them. Robb needs to be wise enough to see that even though the source of the counsel is someone he's deeply unhappy with, it is good counsel.

Oh Robb Stark. You're seriously losing your boss points.

If she were pregnant I might buy it, but he seemed like he was smarter than this.

I seriously thought that's where they were going--have Talisa get pregnant and then Robb marries her because he doesn't want to have a bastard, seeing how things were with Jon. That would still have made his decision idiotic, but it would have been much more sympathetic.

Edited by Blue Nocturne, Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

All right Robb, you've pissed off everyone by marrying Talisa in the middle of a war in which you secured an ally through a marriage pact -- your mom, your bannermen, the audience. Time to start smoothing over ruffled feathers, so the least you can do is go all soft eyed and take off all your clothes, and let Talisa wear her bottoms next time.

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

I cannot describe how disappointed I am. Robb was one of my favorite characters in season 1 and the beginning of season 2. I loved how he so seamless transitioned into a leader and inspired such loyalty among his bannermen. When I first read the titled of this thread ("Like a Boss") I literally thought "Oh snap! That fits Robb perfectly!" But now...not so much. His decision to marry Talisa is not only stupid, but also selfish. He has thousands of men who are willing to die for him and for his father's memory and he throws that all away. I don't want to make light of his situation--it must suck to not be able to marry the person you love. But those are the sacrifices that leaders must make--especially when they agree to those sacrifices ahead of time!

While I liked Talisa in the beginning (oh how wrong I was!), I now think it would have been more interesting if he and the Frey girl actually ended up developing feelings for one another. It might have been a little romcomish, but I would have liked Robb (gorgeous man that he is) falling for a homely Frey girl.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

All right Robb, you've pissed off everyone by marrying Talisa in the middle of a war in which you secured an ally through a marriage pact...

To be completely fair, I'd say he only pissed off the ones who weren't already pissed off by Lady Catlyn releasing the Kingslayer 'stealing their vengance'. The way I see it, this is a team effort and Robb & his mother couldn't have alienated everyone without one another.

That being said, I'm more disappointed in the King in the Nort because Robb isn't a mother so I can't justify his actions.

Edited by agora, Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

TrininisaScorp

TrininisaScorp

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

I would have liked Robb (gorgeous man that he is) falling for a homely Frey girl

meandthemoon, that's great! I think I would have really enjoyed that on some level.

I still love Robb, but I am thoroughly confused by his actions in this situation. As many have said, he is not in a position to "follow his heart" right now. I adored him from Season 1 thru the beginning of this season. I mean, he felt strong, honorable, young and "good" (not to say anything of teh pretty). We are told he is a smart, strategic fighter, but I think it sucked that other than that little byplay early in the season, we didn't get to see that. It makes that strength of character feel less real; always an issue with "show" vs. "tell".

Still, I'm having trouble understanding how that Robb is THIS Robb. It's felt very "huh? seriously?" to me and inconsistent.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

I repeat: The Idiot Ball is this family's favorite toy. It makes me wonder if we'll find out at some point that Arya was adopted.

Winged Nike

Winged Nike

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

For me, I think that marrying Talisa shows that while Robb may be an awesome general he doesn't really have what it takes to be a great king; he is unwilling to keep to the promise he made if it will cost him his heart/desire.

Though, to be fair, I am not sure who else in the story really has the making to be a great king/queen either.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I repeat: The Idiot Ball is this family's favorite toy. It makes me wonder if we'll find out at some point that Arya was adopted.

Truth be told it makes me wonder, if betrothals are as sacred as Pycelle, Joffrey and Catelyn said they were in the season finale, wouldn't this mean the Gods put Arya and Gendry together because of the ill spoken words used by Robert when he & Ned decided to bind their Houses?

I mean, he said "I have a son. You have a daughter", never specified which son nor which daughter and the Gods seemed to have punished him by putting his actual son and Ned's daughter together. Makes me wonder what kind of punishment is in storage for Robb breaking his vows in the eyes of the Gods.

Edited by agora, Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Winged Nike: I vote for King and Queen Tyrion and Arya, First of Their Names.