Robb Stark: Like a Boss

• Please log in to reply

235 replies to this topic

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

I think Robb's breakout episode has earned him his own thread.

Ned has clearly raised his eldest in an admirable way, he's nervous and dreads war (like a smart man), but at the same time now that he's decided to march he knows what he's going to do. No one (not even awesome Greatjon Umber) is going to push him around and run his army, and no way he lets his bannermen march into battle without him, because none of them are Starks.

Robb, he's a man who can breed loyalty and respect even though he's a boy so green he pisses grass.

He said it himself, Winter is Coming for Tywin Lannister. (LOL, I shit you guys not, the SECOND I typed Winter is Coming it began to hail here. HAIL)

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 1:35 PM

"Winter is coming for him. 20,000 northeners marching south to see if he really does shit gold".

Robb has been a non-entity so far, with no sign the actor could pull off the needs of the role (in fairness he hasn't had a chance to), but he sold that Robb has steel in him, while still clearly being young and shocked by it all - the hug with his mother said a lot. Robb has been trained for leadership and it shows. With the Stark name behind him along with his own qualities, I'm not surprised he knows how and is capable of handling tough no-nonsense northern lords.

Well done, Robb, sending off a scout so poor he cannot count - Tywin thinks more than 20,000 are coming for him; even if the actual numbers are not far off, if he thinks there are more he will react differently.

Khellus

Khellus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

Robb the Real? Robb the Badass? Robb of Winter? The Wolf of Winter?

Yeah Robb kicked ass in this episode. One thing that's bothered me though, looking at the various posts made all over teh internetz, is how few people understand that Robb released that spy so that he could report inaccurate information, instead of simply to make a threat to Tywin. One makes Robb look like a fairly cunning military commander, the other makes him look like an arrogant idiot.

Another thing that's bothered me is that he didn't explain that to his officer corps. If he keeps doing that he's going to end up getting screwed as they misunderstand orders or deliberately ignore them 'cause they think he's being stupid.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

Another thing that's bothered me is that he didn't explain that to his officer corps. If he keeps doing that he's going to end up getting screwed as they misunderstand orders or deliberately ignore them 'cause they think he's being stupid.

I'm sure he will, but it was seizing the moment and he had no time right then. And in fact their reactions will only help Tywin think Robb is as simple as he seems when the spy reports their reactions (The Greatjon's after the spy was gone was a challenge that needed to be faced down before he gets any explanation from Robb I think)

halfwaygone

halfwaygone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

Yeah Robb kicked ass in this episode. One thing that's bothered me though, looking at the various posts made all over teh internetz, is how few people understand that Robb released that spy so that he could report inaccurate information, instead of simply to make a threat to Tywin. One makes Robb look like a fairly cunning military commander, the other makes him look like an arrogant idiot.

Some people caught the counting error, but not many seem to have caught the fact that Robb said he was headed straight for Tywin when the plan just proposed (moments before) was to head towards Jaime's forces/Riverrun instead.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

If he played as anything other than mercy then the spy might have picked up on it. He had to make it seem as if the only reason Robb was releasing him was mercy and arrogance.

I'm sure his officers will understand, especially if his plan is to let Lord Tywin think 20,000 swords are descending on him and instead he brings them against Jaime.

It's very similar to Catelyn's plan against Tyrion.
"You said we were heading for Winterfell."
"I did, often and loudly."

I guess he's his mother's son as much as his father's.

Edited by Maximum Taco, Jun 8, 2011 @ 5:33 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 8:01 PM

Yay! for Robb thread. I just want to bring my unspoiled reaction to his very own thread.

Robb has gone from Robb Who? to Rob Woo-Hoo! in no time flat.
(and I am loving it.)

Now we're getting to see who he really is. (and his other dog, Theon, too!)

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 8:18 PM

Yay indeed, and thanks for the Love of Ned, Taco Maximus. Robb Arisen is one answer to those who scoff at how Ned and Catelyn lead their lives, when given half a chance. It's not that they have "more control" over their children -- who in hell does -- or over what fate throws at their children, but they do have some say in how they act with them. In what their chldren hear in their minds, when it's time to think and to act, to see and to judge.

It is because of Ned and Catelyn that within the Great Houses, theirs is the only great family.

Anothermi: "And his other dog, too!" Hilarious!

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Thanks to this thread title, all I can think to say is:

Lead the North (like a boss!)
Call the banners (like a boss!)
Bite off fingers (like a boss!)
Let Lannister scouts live (like a boss!)
Dad gets imprisoned (like a boss!)
Swallow sadness (like a boss!)

Reia

Reia

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Amazing, Sad Doctor, something similar was running through my head as well. Thanks for the laugh!

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

I am officially in love with Robb now. He became a man in this episode; he really stepped up big time. And it's super hot.

Kid's good. I mean, this is the first time he's ever had to do anything like this, and he's showing some skills so far.

And I love him and Catelyn this episode. You could tell she really wanted to go hug her sib when she came into the tent (and she wanted to hug her as well), but she knew she couldn't do that to him. She didn't want him to appear like a little boy who needed his mommy, so she waited until the lords all cleared out before she hugged him or talked to him.
Seems like he's getting the hang of being the leader. And sadly, I have a bad feeling he's going to need it and soon because his dad appears to be a goner.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

Also have to give some credit to Alfie Allen as Theon, who's pretty much been a butt monkey for most of this season, but now that shit (and the army) is going south, he seems to have come into his own, in a way that feels very natural. He seems like actually an intelligent guy now that he's got something important to focus on, whereas before he was just sort of an Upper Class Twit.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

"Winter is coming for him. 20,000 northeners marching south to see if he really does shit gold".

I think this is my favorite line from the whole show and it made Robb uber sexy all of a sudden. Also loved the reunion scene with him and Catelyn, especially how the actors played the desire to run and hug but the common sense to wait until the others had left.

Winter is coming indeed

swguardswoman

swguardswoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:35 AM

Robb's actor is extremely hot, and the character is interesting and doing some absolutely badass stuff.

However I'm a little concerned with the actor. The guy seems to have only two expressions, which I call "Wrinkled Eyebrows of Puzzlement" and "Penetrating Steely Gaze" :D

Edited by swguardswoman, Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:36 AM.

ispycoffee

ispycoffee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 4:05 PM

Well, Chuck Norris only ever had *one* facial expression ('Imma-hurt-you') and Mr. T managed quite well with variations of You-said-what-fool so I think I can forgive Robb only managing the two. :)

I think, with the marvelous benefit of hindsight that Robb has been deliberately under-represented up to now just so we could have this cool breakout moment when we realize just how badass the Stark family raise 'em. :)

halfwaygone

halfwaygone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 4:42 PM

I don't think the actor playing Robb is brilliant, but I've definitely seen Gaze of Brotherly Affection and Oh, Shit, this is not good! as well. So at least four expressions.

SimplyS

SimplyS

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

In all fairness, he's had about four scenes, so one expression per scene isn't a terrible batting average.

We should get more Robb as the season rounds itself out. I'm withholding judgment on the actor until then. He was solid enough in "The Pointy End," which is the only thing of any meat he's had to work with so far.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2011 @ 3:21 AM

Yeah, it's sorta hard to tell how much is the actor and how much is just Robb's personality at this point. Robb's obviously a rather serious young man, who's not particularly outwardly emotive, so it's not like you're going to see him running around with Tyrion's 'look at how clever I am!!!' shenanigans. Or tricksy guys like Littlefinger and Varys, who know you know they're pretending that you know they know you knew. You know?

He did feel perfectly natural when he's happy to see Catelyn back though.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2011 @ 6:50 AM

I think Richard Madden has done a decent enough job with Robb. Let's face it, the guy hasn't had too much chance to show any personality yet. Both due to limited screen time (which has inexplicably been given to Theon instead, in the Winterfell scenes) and to the fact that the character is trying his darnedest to live up to what he thinks a Stark should be. Especially now his dad has been accused of treason and imprisoned.

He's given a pretty controlled, restrained performance so far, which seems right for Robb's circumstances. I'm reminded of the way Jamie Bamber played Apollo in Battlestar Galactica (another character with an imposing father figure who was tough to live up to), in that the character kept so many things internal and damped down, because he was so emotionally repressed. It was tough to like him at times, and I recall a fair few fans criticising his performances. It just takes longer to recognise what the actor is doing with the role. I'm hopeful that the same will be true of Richard Madden in this role.

I seem to recall that Catelyn spent quite a bit of time in the books ruminating on how Robb was trying so hard to be the man he thought he had to be, even though he wasn't really ready to be him. It seems true in the tv show, as well.

Edited by Danny Franks, Jun 11, 2011 @ 6:51 AM.

halfwaygone

halfwaygone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

In all fairness, he's had about four scenes, so one expression per scene isn't a terrible batting average.

True. And I don't think he's bad. Neither brilliant nor bad. I would call his acting "serviceable" which is fine for an ensemble and expected with the part he's had. I don't think anyone in the cast is a bad actor, really, nor do I think all that many are remarkably brilliant. Most of them are quietly servicing the story, which I like. I doubt Richard Madden will become a standout in his own right, but I think he will service Robb's story well.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

He was kind of a badass in the last ep, especially after Jaime tried to goad him into a one-on-one duel, "If we played it your way, Kingslayer, you'd win. We won't be playing it your way."

ispycoffee

ispycoffee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

That was a wonderful scene and Robb really sold it- there was no way they were letting Jaime Lannister slip away from them the same way Tyrion managed it. Plus, there's a difference between getting arrested and being taken hostage so it was a stupid suggestion anyway.

I loved Robb in this episode- and hey! He got a new facial expression during the 'you'll marry one of his daughters' bit. :D

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

Robb totally is like a boss. I haven't noticed anything one way or another about Richard's acting, but I do swoon everytime I hear that accent! I like seeing him as an intelligent character, and how he doesn't take any nonesense from his bannermen when the Greatjon tried to challenge him. He knew that they were gonna test him, and how important it was not to back down. And it helps when you have a loyal direwolf to back you up.

I wish they had added the scene of Robb capturing Jaime, because I want to see some more of Robb swird fighting and being a BAMF. I can only hope that Robb winds another battle soon, so that we can see it this time.

And lastly, does anyone else see a resemblance to Matthew Bomer, or is it just me?

fallingfortruth

fallingfortruth

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 7:34 AM

They do share a certain "Big blue eyes, jaw to die for" quality. Although I like Robb's hair better. (I adore Neil Caffrey in many respects, but his hair occasionally bugs.)

Elehop

Elehop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

The actor is able to deliver lines in a truly satisfying way. Despite everything that happened in that episode, the line people are quoting everywhere is the "we're not doing it your way" one. It's a good line, but wouldn't be so impressive without his delivery! So strong and scornful and restrained all the same.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 10:45 AM

The actor is able to deliver lines in a truly satisfying way. Despite everything that happened in that episode, the line people are quoting everywhere is the "we're not doing it your way" one. It's a good line, but wouldn't be so impressive without his delivery! So strong and scornful and restrained all the same.

I agree completely. Richard Madden isn't getting a lot of lines at the moment, but he is getting some damned good ones. And he's delivering them all really well.

That line, I said in the episode thread, was such a condemnation of everything Jaime Lannister is (or at least, everything Robb Stark believes he is), and everything the Lannisters as a whole are. Full of the disdain and contempt that Robb has for him. And I think it hit its mark, because Jaime seemed to change his opinion of Robb a little, in that moment. Seemed to realise that this boy is a worthy opponent, in the grand scheme of things.

Estelindis

Estelindis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

Promise marriage (like a boss?)
Cross the Twins (like a boss!)
Fool Lord Tywin (like a boss!)
Capture Jaime (like a boss!)

sionprincess

sionprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

Instant superfan of this thread title. It's right up there with "knock it off, you two!" for the Lannisters.

Um yeah. Robb. BAMF. Through and through. I cannot get enough of this guy and I really like how they've translated him from the book to the show. At first you're watching and it's like "oh yeah, the actual son, not the bastard son or the ward guy who loves the whore" and then you're like "forget Drogo, I wanna be the next Lady Stark".

Impatiently waiting for the finale. Unlike a boss. Because a boss would have the advance copy already.

Is it a spoiler to mention that he doesn't get any POV chapters and his whole story is told by the other characters? Because that does attribute somewhat to how little we saw him until now but I didn't want to break any book to show rules.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

Considering just his expression in the quick shot of the ep. 10 trailer is making me a little moist-eyed, I think we might have to take back the previous concerns about the guy's acting chops.

Watching all the Starks find out is gonna be really depressing...

ispycoffee

ispycoffee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 6:40 AM

Oh yeah, that teeny shot of his face in the preview was heartbreaking. Mr. Madden proves us all wrong and gives us another not-so-stoic facial expression... rather how I imagine Ned reacted when he found out *his* father had been killed by Aerys. *tears*

@sionprincess : Probably. Best not mention anything about the books without spoiler-bars, just in case.